Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 11th July 2011, 08:49   #1
BHPian

Default Dream comes home: Honda CBR 250R Std (Red)

“Mods: Feel free to merge this with other Baby Ceeber threads if you feel necessary”

Hi Folks,

Though we already have a few posts on this bike by now, I felt like penning down my unusual experience at procuring this dream machine.
Background: I have been an avid amateur biker since my teen days – having owned a CBZ and ZMA till 2007. My longest ride back then had been Chennai – Hyderabad (750kms approx) non-stop. Then came a time that I felt the need of graduating to a four wheeler, and as money was not in free flow – I had to give up my ZMA for downpayment of my SWIFT. A year passed by and I started feeling the need for a bike all over again.

Choosing the perfect Bike: I have always had a thing for full fairing bikes. Though I love cruisers and muscle bikes for the occasional rides, I always felt myself looking better on the fairing bikes. But being as choosy as I am in terms of looks, I just could not find the right fit in the models we had available in 2008. R15 came close initially, but the small height and puny tires were a turn off (Though I still prefer this bike to ride then my own Ceeber). FZ16 was something I liked purely for the size of the rear rubber, and Fazer was something I almost booked for its looks vis-ŕ-vis performance. But still I was 100% content with the 150cc machine, so was now confused between Fazer and Pulsar 220. Just about then, the CBR was seen doing newsmagazine rounds in late 2010 and voila – I found my dream bike. Perfect performance vs looks vs price.

Booking: I have always been a hasty buyer repenting later for my extra quick heart based decisions. So I decided to not book the CBR when bookings opened in Jan, and wanted to wait to see one bike in flesh. Never imagined the Japan quake as well as the long list of bookings for the ceeber, always thought I could get one off the shelf when launched in April. Finally saw the bike in flesh in March, and emotions overtook sensibility and I booked one for myself in Venetian Honda (Mumbai). As I have been more used to dealing with Car showrooms in the past 4 years, the attitude of the Two Wheeler dealer shops was kind of a big turn off to start with. I was promised a 45-60 day waiting period by a disinterested sales guy who took my booking payment as if he was doing a big favor on me.

Waiting Number: 167 , Color: Red

Finding a ‘Bike’ off the grid: Come June, and I started seeing Team-BHP posts on CBR deliveries. I started craving for the CBR by now, but my dealer just kept extending the dates. The wait which initially was 45 days, increased to 3 months and then to 6 and finally close to about 11 months as per the last update. I couldn’t wait any longer, this called for the first drastic steps. I started calling all tier two cities near Mumbai (Sangli,Pimpri,Nashik,Satara,etc) asking the dealers if they have any ready bike, but they all had a 2 month waiting. Finally found a black CBR in Satara (Display bike) that he was ready to sell, so I drove there immediately (340 kms). But looking at the bike in flesh, I instantly knew black was a compromise, so gave it up.

By now I was started getting too desperate to own the bike, so decided on booking the Ninja. Went to the PBK outlet and did all necessary checks. Out of curiosity, I mailed a few Team-BHP members who either a Ninja/CBR after evaluating the CBR vs Ninja specs. Out of this conversation, I met my life saver (ISODOPE) who mentioned that he had booked a Ninja and was planning to let go of his CBR booking and I was all smiles.

Delivery:
We happened to visit the Honda showroom the same day as my new friend got his Ninja delivery. I don’t know what ticked the dealer off, but he started seriously stating the rule that bookings are transferable and they “will not” sell the bike without registration (which other Honda showrooms I spoke to were ready to do). We waited for a few days to see if we can try some push from Honda, but days turned into a week and I finally asked my friend if I can book the bike on his name and then later transfer it to mine after a month or 2. He agreed, and the dream was suddenly very near.

I got the delivery on June 28, we did a quick PDI and sorted out the clutch play and the handle bar alignment. Everything else seemed in place except a very small scratch on the silencer. I was ok to live with that.

RTO Passing:
Being out of Mumbai jurisdiction, this dealer gave away bikes without even passing them at the local RTO, albeit with a form signed by the customer that he takes full responsibility of the early delivery. So this meant I can’t take the bike home (inside Mumbai) as we had to wait for RTO formalities. So on 1st July, we visited the RTO (dealer only coordinates) and passed the bike and it was finally ready to be bought home.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Attached Thumbnails
Dream comes home: Honda CBR 250R Std (Red)-img_0655.jpg  

Dream comes home: Honda CBR 250R Std (Red)-img_0657.jpg  

Dream comes home: Honda CBR 250R Std (Red)-img_0659.jpg  

salunkhe.vizz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 09:06   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Dream comes home: Honda CBR 250R Std (Red)

On Road Price: Rs. 1,66,000
(Actual quote was 1.59L, but Dealer says prices have increased in May. None of the other showrooms however seemed to concede)

Accessories:
RJays all season Jacket: Rs. 6000
Vega Motocross Red Helmet: Rs. 1650
Cross Gloves: Rs. 750
KTM Knee and Elbow pads: Rs 850
Tank Pad: Rs 520
Puncture Sealent: Rs. 1500
Embossed Number plates: Rs. 650
Attached Images

Last edited by salunkhe.vizz : 11th July 2011 at 09:07.
salunkhe.vizz is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 09:35   #3
BHPian

A great buy Salunkhe, congrats on getting your colour; red looks the best for this one. So I guess this is the non-abs version, how do you feel the ride compared to your other bikes?
zaks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 10:03   #4
BHPian

On Road Review:

Handling: The Bike is quite linear compared to the usual set of above 150+ cc bikes in India. The city riding is great, as it shoots of ahead of the competition in a straight line. Obviously lacks in zigzag commuter traffic compared to the smaller bikes – due to the low turning radius.
My handling is supposedly improved after the Puncture Sealant injections yesterday, but I think it is more of a placebo effect.

Braking: The brakes are suitable compared to the size of the bike. However I have heard reports of other CBR’s facing braking issues (less power). Personally, I would like to tighten the rear brake a bit; will check the feasibility during my first service.

Pick up and Speed: As I am still in my run-in period, trying to maintain the speeds below 5k RPM till the initial 500kms and then till 6k rpm for another 500. But the overall pick up and performance till now is “strictly satisfactory” only. There is no clear visible performance difference between say this bike and any other 200+cc bike (ZMA, Pulsar) or even the R15 for that matter. I guess only if we do continuous trips by interchanging bikes, can we notice the actual difference.

Gearshifts: Not very impressive. The shifting is slightly hard, but I am hoping for it to be better after first service. Also on my 150km ride yesterday, there was a gear slip or false gear when I shifted to 6 from a 5, but that might be due to the chain not being properly lubricated (lot of rains in my part of the world these days) – so will check the difference post lubrication.

Engine Vibration / Performance: I really like the engine sound when riding the bike, albeit its not that great when I am on another bike next to it and hearing it as a third person. The bike is smooth till 75kmph in 6th gear, haven’t got the chance to take it beyond that due to run-in period. But I am guessing it won’t be as smooth as the old ZMA (2004 model) I owned – between 80-120 kmph. Pick up so far looks good. Engine is smoothening out as I clock more KM’s, should be hopefully better post first service.

Overall Finish: Again on a personal note, I don’t think the plastics are of poor quality; though the Exhaust could have been a bit more in line with the design. The nutbolts though – are definitely inferior. (I guess these are the majority localized parts and not the core engine components). There was rust on the RVM bolt within 48 hours. Should hopefully get a replacement based on what MANTRIG said in his review. As mentioned by others, the welding finish is poor.

All in all, I am happy for the looks/build vs price balance.
Attached Thumbnails
Dream comes home: Honda CBR 250R Std (Red)-iphone-001.jpg  

Last edited by salunkhe.vizz : 11th July 2011 at 10:07.
Old 11th July 2011, 10:27   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats - that is a sweet lookign ride and an awesome review. Anything we can do to convince you to lose that ghastly front number plate?
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 10:32   #6
BHPian

Negatives:
- The seats are not as comfortable and cushy as the ZMA or R15.
- The riding position will take time to get used to, the current position does cause slight pain in the wrist in traffic/city riding conditions.
- The nut bolts need to be coated to avoid rusting, or need to be changed with better quality ones
- The top speed right now is a question mark, I doubt it goes as fast as the videos on youtube (international variant)
- The plastic windshield vibrates on windy conditions and passes it on to the RVM’s,
- The RVM visibility also not as good as competition
- The bike sways in windy conditions on the highway, inspite of the weight and broad tyres
- The side stand is not adequate; Honda should sell optional racing stands with the bike. (Bike has fallen twice already in the parking lot, with kids trying to imitate Dhoom shots on it)

But still, I am happy that I finally have my dream machine after almost 8 months of oggling at its pics, videos, wallpapers and dealer display machines.

Planning a Ride to LEH next year, after the bike proves its credibility on the national and state highways within Maharashtra

A Couple more pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Dream comes home: Honda CBR 250R Std (Red)-iphone-002.jpg  

Dream comes home: Honda CBR 250R Std (Red)-iphone-005.jpg  

Old 11th July 2011, 10:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi Salunkhe Many Congratulations for your brand new Honda CBR 250R. The bike looks hot in red color. I just hope that the bike serves you well; recently one of team-bhpian suffered a lot after buying a CBR due to engine seizure etc. But that should be one of those cases.

Keep the thread updated with Honda A.S.S experience.

I wish you happy mile crunching with your CBR.

Ride Safe and always wear a helmet.

PS - One suggestion, Please do not give your bike to anyone else during run in period.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 11:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Congrats - that is a sweet lookign ride and an awesome review. Anything we can do to convince you to lose that ghastly front number plate?
I agree

I have ordered an embossed (IND + hologram) numberplate, should have it this week. I cant stick the number elsewhere, as its quite a pain with Mumbai cops on your heads all the time. Not to mention, the long interstate rides I have in mind - so apart from removing the saree gaurd, not planning any cosmetic changes to the stock bike.
salunkhe.vizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 11:05   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Hi Salunkhe Many Congratulations for your brand new Honda CBR 250R. The bike looks hot in red color. I just hope that the bike serves you well; recently one of team-bhpian suffered a lot after buying a CBR due to engine seizure etc. But that should be one of those cases.

Keep the thread updated with Honda A.S.S experience.

I wish you happy mile crunching with your CBR.

Ride Safe and always wear a helmet.

PS - One suggestion, Please do not give your bike to anyone else during run in period.
Thanks !

Yes I did read that thread - hence going slow on the run-in (quite scared to rev actually)

And yes, i do not give my ride to anyone usually - before or after the run in
Old 11th July 2011, 11:13   #10
BHPian

Very well written!

Just two things to contribute: 1. all fully-faired bikes suffer from a weakness for crosswinds. It's the large surface area that the fairing offers the crosswind. Not much you can do but crouch and react suitably when you find the bike wandering, or slow down until the effects are negligible.
2. I can assure you that you will find a world of difference as far as performance is concerned once your running-in period is over. It's just a few hundred kilometres away
isodope is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 15:52   #11
BHPian

That's a nice & crisp review we have here.

You have got yourself all the necessary gear pretty much in time and it's a great thing you did. I am lagging behind on this front.

I will be following your posts piling up as the miles are being munched. And yes, like I told you last time - Let me know if oil filter is available while you plan your 1st service, else I have picked up one for anyone on board who may need it.

My bike is resting for good (thanks to the workload and rains). It can be quite cumbersome process to get her clean again after a rainy ride.

Thanks again, for your inputs on the Helmet. I am looking for something I can wear on the highways too, so this one might not be great option for me. It looks great though.

Wishing you happy miles ahead!!! And look forward to your ownership thread as it progresses.
mantrig is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 16:19   #12
BHPian

Congrats Salunkhe. One more CBR added to teambhp
Nice review. Do the running-in carefully, no hurry. I would suggest keep it below 5k for 400-500 kms then get the oil and oil filter changed. Increase the rpm to 6k-7k for next 300-400 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post

Planning a Ride to LEH next year, after the bike proves its credibility on the national and state highways within Maharashtra
Even i am planning for one next year.
rk_sans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 20:41   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations vizz for the new arrival.I saw the bike for the first time yesterday and clicked many pictures thereafter posting my comments on the CBR thread yesterday. These were comments for the static bike as I did not ride it.With the nuts and bolts rusting, I can sense that the ancillary supplier is someone who is located near Manesar and is now very well ensconced in his business with HMSIL.
Its nice to read your riding impressions of the bike - happy rides and ride safe!
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 07:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Woohoo! more and more Ceebers250 being added to Team-BHP. Can't wait for mine. Has the waiting period reduced at all? Are we getting them sooner?

And as for the run-in, anyone trying the Motoman method?
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 08:31   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Woohoo! more and more Ceebers250 being added to Team-BHP. Can't wait for mine. Has the waiting period reduced at all? Are we getting them sooner?

And as for the run-in, anyone trying the Motoman method?
You will get yours soon , dont think the waiting period has reduced though. Just because many early bookings are shying away from taking delivery in rains, the latter ones are getting a spot.

I am definately not trying the Motoman method, not sure about others.