Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 11th September 2016, 00:13   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Buying a used Royal Enfield?

ContessMan:

Because you said you wanted to use the RE for touring, I agree with the last line in tharian"s post #44. Try to find a used 500cc UCE powered RE.

IMO, all of the iron barrels are a touch of the past. They are wonderful for re-living the early days of British and Indian motorcycling. After all, the engine was designed back in the 1940's and the tank, casquette, brakes and frame are almost the same as the 1955 Bullet.

That said, the Iron Barrels share the same problems most of the motorcycles of that time period had.

At higher speeds they will overheat and seize. The little piston oil pump does only a moderately good job of providing lubrication and scavenging the crankcase assuming its worm drive gear system doesn't fail.

The aluminum alloy connecting rod with its high cycle fatigue life can fail and the engine Valves burn easily.
The crankcase ventilation system can blow oil out of the engine. The clutch release design is poor and adjusting the clutch is a real pain.

Basically, just like back in the "50's, the maintenance needed is a constant and almost daily task to keep everything in top condition.

If you like to tinker and do the upkeep and you are willing to limit the max speed to the neighborhood of 75-80 kmph for the 500, the Iron Barrel may be just right for you.

The redesigned engine in the AVL/Lean Burn fixed several of these problems by replacing the old floating sleeve bearing in the connecting rod with a real roller bearing and changing the connecting rod material to steel. It also got a much better oil pump and a sleeved aluminum cylinder to dissipate the heat developed by riding at higher speeds.

The UCE took the AVL's improvements and added many design improvements making over heating, daily maintenance, limited cruising speeds and poor brakes a thing of the past.
Valve adjustment and adjusting the points is no longer needed.
The front disk brake is more than powerful enough for any task needed, the electrical system is greatly improved, the 5 speed gearbox has no problems and things like adjusting the clutch is a breeze.

If touring is really the reason your buying the motorcycle, give the 2010 or newer UCE 500 a hard look.
ArizonaJim is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2016, 02:43   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
You will have issues sourcing engine parts like a valves, block and pistons and rings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I wouldn't suggest a 500 now unless you are 500 aficionado. Rather go for a UCE 500 and do stress free trips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post

If touring is really the reason your buying the motorcycle, give the 2010 or newer UCE 500 a hard look.

Thank you all for your advice. Going by what has been said, I think the UCE 500 would be the ideal motorcycle for me. I will go for a new Std 500 UCE. After all, it is a lifetime purchase.
ContessMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 10:52   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContessMan View Post
Thank you all for your advice. Going by what has been said, I think the UCE 500 would be the ideal motorcycle for me. I will go for a new Std 500 UCE. After all, it is a lifetime purchase.
Wise decision mate. I would also reiterate with the guys here who have suggested you to look at the UCE 500. The CI 500 is a bike for keepers and the owner has to be really passionate about its upkeep and bearing with its tantrums. Also the price of a used CI 500 in the market has gone through the roof besides not knowing how much one has to spend on it after buying it. As rightly told by tharian the CI 350 and CI 500 share many parts except for engine internals. I have seen guys paying through their nose for buying a new cylinder block and piston for CI 500.

The calculation is very simple for example one buys a used CI 500 for about 1.20-30 lacs including paper work and insurance. If there is a green tax and 15 years passing for fitness test then add another 5-7K. Apart from this if the engine requires some work it will set you back by around 15-20K. I am not even adding cosmetic work like painting, polishing, etc. So in total one is spending about 1.40-50 lacs on a used CI 500, rather why not buy a brand new UCE 500 and be tension free for another 2 years as RE now gives 2 years warranty on all their bikes. If one still wants to buy a CI 500 then logic and calculations goes out of the window, as it is the heart that rules the mind.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 12th September 2016 at 10:54.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 12:26   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Wise decision mate. I would also reiterate with the guys here who have suggested you to look at the UCE 500.
Well the CI 500 really is a dream machine. Maybe in the future when I have the time and money to take good care of it as one should. As of now, I have gone ahead and booked a Marsh Grey Std 500. Now the excruciating waiting period (one month according to the dealer) begins.
ContessMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 14:13   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContessMan View Post
Well the CI 500 really is a dream machine. Maybe in the future when I have the time and money to take good care of it as one should. As of now, I have gone ahead and booked a Marsh Grey Std 500. Now the excruciating waiting period (one month according to the dealer) begins.
Congrats mate and welcome to the Bullet fraternity. I hope you know that the CI 500 was also offered in a grey shade very close to the UCE 500 colour shade you've booked, it looks nice and regal. Enjoy once you take the delivery.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote