Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 17th September 2011, 10:51   #46
Default Re: Should I buy a used Ninja 250 or new CBR 250

Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Congrats on the bike. I hope you have invested in a set of good quality riding gears.

The bike does not come with a silencer heat shield. So you have to be careful about this.

Some tips:

* Always fill up fuel with the recommended octane rating, i.e. 91 octane minimum. Shell regular will do just fine since its 91 octane.

* Never use octane boosters or injector cleaners, they do more harm than good.

* Try and tank up as soon as the low fuel lamp starts glowing. This is when the bike has around 4L of petrol in the tank. Riding with low fuel can put extreme stress on the fuel pump and eventually it might give way.

* Inspect the chain for slackness, adjust if required. Clean it if its dirty. Lube the chain once every 500 kms (mimimum). Motul Chain Clean (Road) and Chain Lube (Road) is recommended.

* You can fit a Yamaha FZ Hugger on the rear wheel to keep the rear shock absorber area clean from mud and water splashes. It requires some modification to the hugger but otherwise it wont take more than a few mins. No need of any modifications to the bike itself to fit this hugger.

* Under the pillion seat there is a list of checks one must do before riding out each time. Follow this to ensure that your bike is in shape before you ride.

* Inspect the radiator and clean the fins of any debris as often as possible. This will enure that your bike runs cooler. All you need is a soft bristled toothbrush. Just direct water from a hose (not high pressure water jets, regular garden hose connected to a tap) onto the radiator and brush the fins in vertical motion to free stones and dirt from the fins. If there is a lot of muck and mud, first use your hand to get the muck off while allowing water to flow over the fins. Be gentle so you dont bend the fins.

* Inspect the tires before and after every ride to check for nails in the tire. If you spot any, all you need is a puncture repair kit (link - Tubeless Tyre Repairs Kit code no :440007, link) to fix the puncture. Ensure you fix this at a petrol bunk where you can top the tires with air after its done. Takes less than 5 mins.

* Check all fluid levels like brake fluids, coolant, etc. before every ride.

* Ensure the engine warms up and the temp needle reaches the "C" mark before riding out. Do not blip the throttle when the engine is cold and in neutral.

Thats all i can think of as now. Do take a look at the ownership threads of other ninja owners and you'll find a lot of information that might help as well.

Congrats again and wishing you many happy and safe rides.

Remember - ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time)

P.S. Thread title edited accordingly. You can keep updating this thread with the ownership experiences.
This is Good, Aditya... Thanks from my side too..
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   Reply With Quote