Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 28th July 2011, 16:54   #1

Default Buying a used bike with no papers?

Hi,
i picked up a rd350 which was given to me as exchange for services rendered. this is my third rd. i just love the bike.
my problem is that the bike has no papers(all lost many years back). Plus the bike has registration on another state. Right now the bike is stuck in my place. All i do with it is start it and ride it on my driveway. Can anyone help me in finding a solution? I was told that i have to go to the state where the registration is done ( take the bike too!) and then file a request with the RTO there.
All suggestions welcome
karmakurma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 22:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Buying a used bike with no papers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakurma View Post
Hi,
i picked up a rd350 which was given to me as exchange for services rendered. this is my third rd. i just love the bike.
my problem is that the bike has no papers(all lost many years back). Plus the bike has registration on another state. Right now the bike is stuck in my place. All i do with it is start it and ride it on my driveway. Can anyone help me in finding a solution? I was told that i have to go to the state where the registration is done ( take the bike too!) and then file a request with the RTO there.
All suggestions welcome
Try to locate photocopies of RC book,other wise it wil be decided what to be done furthur only once it is known which state it belongs to.Regards
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 08:52   #3

It's a Bangalore registration.. i'm trying to get the info through the karnataka RTO website
Old 29th July 2011, 11:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

I guess the process would be tedious.

Only the owner can help you with getting atleast a duplicate copy.

- Need photocopy of your bikes papers to even apply for lost RC.
- Need police certificate that your bike was not involved in any criminal activities(More like an NOC from police)
- You need the owner to get a duplicate RC and then work on a transfer of ownership.

I do not see a legal way to register this bike directly on your name unless the original owner helps you with getting the transfer done.

This is what i would do.

- Get duplicate RC
- Transfer Papers(Have insurance while you do this)
- FC for the bike
- Road tax certificate
- CO emission certificate

Else you are riding an illegal bike which may also be part of a police case. Its a huge risk to run this bike unless you are from mafia or a political leaders relative.
VW2010 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 12:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Karma,
Couple of my suggestions as this involves RD 350 which is a highly endangered species(some tell me its more in risk compared to bengal tiger) are
1) If the condition of the bike is simply too good and you are not in a mood to let go off this bike, then do make some extra investment and get another bike which are in a pitiable condition but has clean records (you can swap the chassis & engine top with this bike, RD 350 Chassis cannot be faulty unless and until they have some serious road accident)
2) You mentioned that this is your 3rd bike, would you still have the other 2 bikes with you? If yes then go ahead and make this as a donor bike for them, This shall hold good if the bike is not in great shape
3) Other suggestions which people have already told you. Would you have a photocopy of the RC Book? else atleast the RC Book number.

Here again you ought to speculate --> If you do not have the transfer papers signed by the owner on whose name the bike is still registered and a photo copy of delivery receipt signed by you, trust me you are illegally holding the bike in your kitty as per law. If the owner is aware that you do not have the transfer papers he can lodge a complaint with our respected police men who will have no option but to seize the bike and hand it over to him.

Chances are that the owner might not be aware of this and am just speculating/playing the devil's advocate.

Thought you should be made aware of all possible angles.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 14:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend lost the papers for his Enticer when his laptop bag (in which they were kept) was stolen.

Here's what he did and you should do -

1) Find out what RTO the bike was registered in. If you've any friend who stays in Bangalore, ask him to get in touch with an agent at that RTO. You would need to provide him with an FIR copy for loss of RC. And a letter from the owner saying he'd want a Duplicate RC.

A Copy of the RC is not required.

Now the catch is - the RC is not hand-delivered. It is sent via post. So, what you can do is, have it sent to a friend's address and then collect it. You'll have to mention it in that letter.

2) Once the RC is obtained, catch hold of an agent to have it transferred in your name.

You wouldn't need to have your bike with you when you get these jobs done.

You can do task 2) easily by yourself but since you are based out of Chennai, it's better you employ an agent.

Your problem will be solved fairly simply.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 14:44   #7
BHPian

Find a scrap condition bike for only chassis no and engine no with proper documents( which you may get for somewhere around 15k to 30k), then rebuild that bike with your paperless bike parts, this is a better option than spending money and time on tracing your bike papers, ownership transfer, different state regn and all other fuss.
rvmohankumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 16:21   #8

Thanks for all the replies guys...
i have been looking for a scrap condition RD to use the papers like suggested.
but the guys see my paunch and think that my wallet is as big!
if anyone comes across an unrepairable rd with papers please let me know.
on a tangent.. some deviant stole the nissan emblem off my car. i park my car in the same place very day - maybe not a good idea to replace the emblem and give the guy another one to make a pair

Also forgot to mention that i sold the previous two rd's, much to my regret

Last edited by GTO : 29th July 2011 at 18:51. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 29th July 2011, 18:34   #9
BHPian

Use this RD as a donor and get another RD with proper documents... That's the best option for you at the moment.
Manoj2268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2014, 14:28   #10
BHPian

Default Need help with buying a Yezdi Roadking

I usually check OLX and other websites for a Willy's, an RD350 or a Roadking regularly just in case I get a good deal. Yesterday, there was a post on OLX with a guy willing to sell a pristine (almost) condition Yezdi Roadking for 20,000 INR. I got really excited and I had to have that bike. But it was 1 in the night so it wasn't smart to call him then. I dropped a mail and tried sleeping with some difficulty. Next day morning, as soon as the clock hit 9, I called him up. The phone was not reachable. I called a dozen more times till 12 when I received a reply to the mail I had dropped with another number. I called him up and realised he was a friend of a friend. Now here's the catch.

There are basically two problems.
1. The bike is in New Delhi, and I am in Hyderabad;
2. The owner has lost the papers, the original owner whose name is on the RC has left for US and cannot be found. So basically its for 20,000 because there are no papers.

The bike appears to be in really great shape and I really need it. I browsed through some of the topics (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...no-papers.html) and found out about a way.

All I need is someone who has papers of a scraped Roadking, just normal papers you might not need anymore. I would be highly grateful if anyone could help, specially someone from Hyderabad.

Also if there is an easier way other than changing the chassis and engine number, please let me know.
dhaval-mehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 23:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Need help with buying a Yezdi Roadking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval-mehta View Post
All I need is someone who has papers of a scraped Roadking, just normal papers you might not need anymore.
Sent you a PM.
Found an ad in OLX for Jawa RC book. Not sure if it is allowed to post here, so sent you through PM.
Mr.Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 09:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Buying a used bike with no papers?

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies guys...
i have been looking for a scrap condition RD to use the papers like suggested.
but the guys see my paunch and think that my wallet is as big!
if anyone comes across an unrepairable rd with papers please let me know.
on a tangent.. some deviant stole the nissan emblem off my car. i park my car in the same place very day - maybe not a good idea to replace the emblem and give the guy another one to make a pair

Also forgot to mention that i sold the previous two rd's, much to my regret
Is it possible to punch the engine and chassis number of the totaled bike on the one you have got now?Sorry for being a noob.
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 10:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

rakesh_r
I'm guessing but I believe the officials in India would take the same dim view of changing or marking the identification numbers used on one motorcycle onto another.

Here in Arizona, USA, doing this is absolutely against the law and the person doing it will end up in jail.

The same punishment is applied just for obliterating an existing number on a motor vehicle or firearm.

Over the years, I've found that law enforcement officers have a very poor sense of humor when it comes to violating the laws.

For some odd reason, they usually associate altered serial numbers with stolen property.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 11th July 2014 at 10:54.
ArizonaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 11:40   #14
BHPian

If the guy who gave you the bike is actually the registered owner of the bike, then you could try obtaining duplicate documentation through official channels. This is obviously very tedious and time consuming and you might end up spending, in cash and in time, more than the value of the bike.

Using the bike without papers is very risky too. If the bike is involved in an accident or other legal issues and you have no documents for the bike, it will be seized by the cops. Bye, bye bike!

The safest option for you would be to use this bike as a parts donor or you could earn a profit by selling the parts.

Good luck with your decision!
Motard_Blr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 16:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Karma,
Here again you ought to speculate --> If you do not have the transfer papers signed by the owner on whose name the bike is still registered and a photo copy of delivery receipt signed by you, trust me you are illegally holding the bike in your kitty as per law. If the owner is aware that you do not have the transfer papers he can lodge a complaint with our respected police men who will have no option but to seize the bike and hand it over to him.

Chances are that the owner might not be aware of this and am just speculating/playing the devil's advocate.

Thought you should be made aware of all possible angles.

As quoted by ku69rd, unless you have the transfer papers signed by the original owner, it would be a bad idea to approach any RTO officer for any solutions. Plus punching the number on a bike with papers is also not an easy job. You can punch the Chassis number, but not the engine number.

BTW, are you sure this is not a stolen bike? Is the guy who gave you the bike the last or original owner? What is the history of this bike?
SnS_12 is offline   Reply With Quote