Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 31st July 2011, 00:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Things to check when buying an almost unused RE Thunderbird twinspark

Hi,

One of my close friends is leaving for the US for higher studies and will be gone for at least 2-3 years. He had purchased a brand new Royal Enfield Thunderbird Twinspark 2008 (october) model. Since he used cab transport for his office commute, the bike was only used for weekend hangouts with friends and for occasional errands. The bike has done only 3000km in what will be almost 3 years now. That is a painfully low mileage of around 1000km per year. To add to this, it was sometimes not started for 1-2 weeks in a row and when it was started, would only be given a running of 5-6km.

The bike is otherwise issueless and accident-free. I decided to pick up the bike and use it now but I am unfamiliar with Royal Enfield maintenance so I thought I'd just post it here and get some valuable inputs.

A lot of information is available on things that could go wrong in an abused bike. On the contrary, I would like to know your thoughts on what kind of things could go wrong in a bike that has been unused. I start off with these

1. Battery is one of the first things that I will check and replace in all probability. My friend said that the battery had died down twice and inspite of recharging the battery at the service centre, it didn't hold the charge really long. Strong signs that the battery is dying out

2. Tyres are unused (3000km) but seem to have become hard. I have a feeling they will become brittle and start to develop cracks. He was parking in an open portico exposed to direct sunlight. Could this, coupled with the age perhaps be the reason for prematurely wearing out?

3. There are no visible signs of corrosion, so that problem can be ruled out.

What things do I need to check apart from the regular oil changes, air filter cleaning, etc which they do during servicing? What about other internals of the RE's heart, especially those components that are affected by very low usage and/or lying unused for prolonged periods of time?

Last edited by KarthikK : 31st July 2011 at 09:49.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 10:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Things to check when buying an almost unused RE Thunderbird twinspark

Replace Battery as it appears to be dead.

Its not just age. As the bike was standing in the same place, the same patch of tire was holding its weight all the time. This patch keeps getting weaker and weaker.
New tires would be a good thing.

Drain and replace engine oil. Fork Oil.

Wishing you many many miles.

PS: The foam inside the seat might have also gone brittle. While it will be ok for short city rides, long rides might cause back ache.

Last edited by bblost : 31st July 2011 at 10:29.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 14:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Things to check when buying an almost unused RE Thunderbird twinspark

Any recommendations on what tyre config to upgrade to? or do i stick to the OEM configuration? I am a 100% newbie in the Enfield universe so no clue.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote