Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:30   #1
BHPian
 
ImranShahnawaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore/Chennai
Posts: 129
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Want to buy a 200cc+ Motorcycle

Mods please merge this thread if needed.

Hi all,

Need an urgent assistance.

I'm planning to change my bike. Currently I have a splendor plus (2004 model), which is serving me from the last 7 years. It clocked nearly 75K and still going great. Though I like 150cc+ bikes, never thought of going for one.
So this time when I decided to change my splendor I was more inclined towards Honda Unicorn Dazzler. But Unicorn's waiting period is two months at present, so decided to move ahead.
Since I'm a happy customer of Hero Honda, I decided to check the product line in 150cc segment, which does not look tempting at all (hunk, CBZ extreme, glamour plus and Passion pro). While checking the displayed bikes in HH showroom, my eyes stuck at refreshed Karizma R, quickly I inquired about the details and the on-road price (88K). Before stepping out of the showroom I was almost made up my mind to go for Karizma R. But my confusion started when my wife suggested checking RE TBTS. I know both the bike are of different nature and cannot be compared. I'm also aware of RE stories, so little confused with its reliability. But the fun to ride an RE and the sound is unmatchable with any other bike. My main usage of the bike is 70% in city (mainly office use) and 30% on highways. I'm not interested in checking Pulsar 220 or Yamaha FZ series.

So now my confusion:

Is it worth going for Karizma R now, considering there are no rear disk breaks, digital console, tubeless Tyre, maintenance free battery etc... Considering most of these features are already available in the 150cc segment now days. Is it worth spending 88K?

Is it worth going for RE considering the oil leak, chain cut, bad after sale service and my daily usage and other such issues associated with the bike.

Help me out guys.

Regards,
Imran
ImranShahnawaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:48   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,721
Thanked: 2,806 Times
Default Re: Need help - want to buy a 200cc+ bike

What happened to Karizma?! Where did the digital display go?!

You could consider Pulsar 200, 220 and Karizma.

Or even CBR250

From what I've heard, RE has a long waiting period; so does CBR.

So, your choice should also depend on how soon you need the bike.

Test rode P200, P220 and Karizma?
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:48   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 414
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: Need help - want to buy a 200cc+ bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImranShahnawaz View Post

Is it worth going for Karizma R now, considering there are no rear disk breaks, digital console, tubeless Tyre, maintenance free battery etc... Considering most of these features are already available in the 150cc segment now days. Is it worth spending 88K?

Is it worth going for RE considering the oil leak, chain cut, bad after sale service and my daily usage and other such issues associated with the bike.

Help me out guys.

Regards,
Imran
Check out Karizma ZMR. I guess it has discs and other jhingpang. But I would advise you to listen to your wife. Go for RE. Own it and ride it while you can. With the ever increasing heat and traffic, I bet someday we'll all be travelling in a car or a bus or an over-crowded metro. So thump away while you can. The sound of RE just shuts the traffic. It demands your unmatched attention (Might get into some trouble with your wifey, but then again, it's worth it). It's a loverly cruiser. You can always buy the likes of Karizmas and others later on by selling this TBTS (God forbid that day never comes).

Peace!
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:09   #4
BHPian
 
NikhilReddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 72
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Need help - want to buy a 200cc+ bike

Imran, what are your priorities? Reliability, comfort, mileage, less maintenance & after sales service - go for Karizma ZMR. Your long association with Hero Motors has pampered you on all these aspects. Royal Enfield motorcycles are great to own but are high on maintenance and not trouble free. If you can live with these little niggles and compromise somewhat on comfort aspect in city driving condition than consider TBTS. Remember RE doesn’t have a great number of dealers or service centers compared to Hero Motors. Most of the RE owners gradually learn to fix little niggles over a period of their ownership. I would suggest take back to back test rides and arrive at a decision.
If budget is not a constraint consider CBR 250R or Ninja 250R. Both are excellent bikes and meet all your requirements for city and highway driving.

Mods Note: Please avoid copy pasting from external FONT editors like word. Also do a Preview before Submitting posts to check Formatting. Thanks!

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd August 2011 at 20:14. Reason: Mod note inline.
NikhilReddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:04   #5
BHPian
 
a_myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Goa
Posts: 95
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Need help - want to buy a 200cc+ bike

Hi Imran,

As you have rightly observed HH does come up with refreshed models of its existing bikes now and then, but these are mere upgrades of stickers and colors, etc. As in the case of the 'new' Karizma R, there is nothing much to write about. It is the same old bike we have been seeing on our roads over the years.

I had been using a Pulsar since 2003 ( initially a 150 and then upgraded to 180 in 2006). When i was looking for an upgrade this year, i too faced the same dilemma. After days of 'research' into choosing between bikes of almost all the manufacturers, I finally decided to go for a RE Classic 350. Although it had a waiting period of almost 4 months, having read about the bullet experience from fellow bhpians helped greatly in making up my mind. Having never ridden a Bullet before i was a bit reluctant initially, but when it finally came, I hardy needed any time to get a hold of it.

Although it does have its own weaknesses (rust, minor reliability issues), its nothing too serious to hamper your ownership experience. IMO if you do like the bullet then go for it. It is a joy to ride, very comfortable and a real head turner on our roads.

In between the Dazzler (Considering the two month waiting period) and the new Karizma R, IMO the Karizma will be a better choice (rear discs will be missed a lot).
a_myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 08:49   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
_raVan_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,058
Thanked: 486 Times
Default Re: Need help - want to buy a 200cc+ bike

I would advice you to reconsider your decision and test drive the Pulsar 220. Whatever shortcomings you noticed in Karizma are handled in it. RE TB is a wonderful bike ofcourse, but a different segment altogether.

If you have the extended budget and since you are ready to wait for a new bike (considering RE TB), then do check out the CBR 250.

Set your priorities as to what you expect from a bike, and jump along
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:05   #7
BHPian
 
ravi_23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Guwahati, Blore
Posts: 107
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Need help - want to buy a 200cc+ bike

According to your needs karizma ZMR would be ideal for you if budget is around 1 lakhs, else p220/p200/zma R would be good value for money for their price. Since your running would be basically in city, I would not recomend the RE TBTS as you may not be too comfortable with its handling. If you have to go for a RE then you can consider the electra/classic 350. Also if you can further stretch your budget then you can consider the honda CBR 250
ravi_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:28   #8
BHPian
 
sharanvenu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 127
Thanked: 170 Times
Default Re: Need help - want to buy a 200cc+ bike

Its ZMR on any given day over P220. You get gem of an engine, honda's PGMFI and all the goodies. But bear in mind that it wont be as nimble as your splendor in the city. RE is in a different league all together. If you can maintain an RE (not that its heavy on maintenance, it needs some pampering), nothing comes close. If its in the city that you spend most of the time, I would recommend the Dazzler. I'm using a 5 year old unicorn and I still feel the engine as fresh as its new. That's a Honda!
sharanvenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:19   #9
BHPian
 
amit_purohit20's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 556
Thanked: 466 Times
Default Re: Want to buy a 200cc+ Motorcycle

1)I dont feel the New Karizma is worth the penny especially when you have no power increase over the earlier model.If I were you I did go for the old ZMA and save some money for the costly spare parts which it is known for.
2)I also would not go for TBTS as its not a reliable bike(compared to ZMA) and your 70% usage of city will make it more cumbersome to drive in city the heavy bike.
3)If I were you I did either opt for a Old ZMA or Apache RTR 180 which is a excellent bike for city as well as ocassional long tours provided you can live with the harsh engine noise in some particular rpms. Other wise RTR180 is a potent street machine and the pickup braking and fuel efficiency is far better than ZMA.
amit_purohit20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 12:23   #10
BHPian
 
ImranShahnawaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore/Chennai
Posts: 129
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Want to buy a 200cc+ Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Check out Karizma ZMR. I guess it has discs and other jhingpang. But I would advise you to listen to your wife. Go for RE. Own it and ride it while you can. With the ever increasing heat and traffic, I bet someday we'll all be travelling in a car or a bus or an over-crowded metro. So thump away while you can. The sound of RE just shuts the traffic. It demands your unmatched attention (Might get into some trouble with your wifey, but then again, it's worth it). It's a loverly cruiser. You can always buy the likes of Karizmas and others later on by selling this TBTS (God forbid that day never comes).

Peace!
Thanks for your response. It has only front disk. I agree, it is a lovely cruiser. Just came back after the test ride. Really disappointed with the engine note, though I enjoyed the seating comfort, power and stability. Still in a dual mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilReddy View Post
Imran, what are your priorities? Reliability, comfort, mileage, less maintenance & after sales service - go for Karizma ZMR. Your long association with Hero Motors has pampered you on all these aspects. Royal Enfield motorcycles are great to own but are high on maintenance and not trouble free. If you can live with these little niggles and compromise somewhat on comfort aspect in city driving condition than consider TBTS. Remember RE doesnít have a great number of dealers or service centers compared to Hero Motors. Most of the RE owners gradually learn to fix little niggles over a period of their ownership. I would suggest take back to back test rides and arrive at a decision.
If budget is not a constraint consider CBR 250R or Ninja 250R. Both are excellent bikes and meet all your requirements for city and highway driving.
Thanks Nikhil, just back from RE test ride, enjoyed the ride, feel, stability and seating comfort. But highly disappointed with the engine note and the waiting period, TBTS doesnít sound like a bike from bullet family. I still remember the engine note of my fatherís office bullet years ago. It has a waiting period of 7 months, from the time of booking the bike. I thought of checking Honda CBR, but dropped the plan due to lack of proper parking space at my home in Chennai. I park my wagonR on the road in front of my home. After spending a lac and half I donít want to spoil the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post
Hi Imran,

As you have rightly observed HH does come up with refreshed models of its existing bikes now and then, but these are mere upgrades of stickers and colors, etc. As in the case of the 'new' Karizma R, there is nothing much to write about. It is the same old bike we have been seeing on our roads over the years.

I had been using a Pulsar since 2003 ( initially a 150 and then upgraded to 180 in 2006). When i was looking for an upgrade this year, i too faced the same dilemma. After days of 'research' into choosing between bikes of almost all the manufacturers, I finally decided to go for a RE Classic 350. Although it had a waiting period of almost 4 months, having read about the bullet experience from fellow bhpians helped greatly in making up my mind. Having never ridden a Bullet before i was a bit reluctant initially, but when it finally came, I hardy needed any time to get a hold of it.

Although it does have its own weaknesses (rust, minor reliability issues), its nothing too serious to hamper your ownership experience. IMO if you do like the bullet then go for it. It is a joy to ride, very comfortable and a real head turner on our roads.

In between the Dazzler (Considering the two month waiting period) and the new Karizma R, IMO the Karizma will be a better choice (rear discs will be missed a lot).
I know it is a real fun to ride RE, but as I mentioned above I really missed the sound in TBTS. Besides, the waiting period of 7 months is way too much. RE has a plant in Chennai, but still such a long waiting period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
I would advice you to reconsider your decision and test drive the Pulsar 220. Whatever shortcomings you noticed in Karizma are handled in it. RE TB is a wonderful bike ofcourse, but a different segment altogether.

If you have the extended budget and since you are ready to wait for a new bike (considering RE TB), then do check out the CBR 250.

Set your priorities as to what you expect from a bike, and jump along
Thanks raVan, the reason for not considering P220 is that the company has not kept anything in P220 which you can call as premium (my personal opinion). Most of the features available in P220 are available in P150 (excluding projector light, split seat and rear disk break). Bajaj engine wonít be as smooth as HH (again my opinion). I test ride Yamaha FZs, as a package it is good with 72K on-road tag and Fazer with 84K on-road tag. Liked the pick-up too, but the pillion seat is too small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
According to your needs karizma ZMR would be ideal for you if budget is around 1 lakhs, else p220/p200/zma R would be good value for money for their price. Since your running would be basically in city, I would not recomend the RE TBTS as you may not be too comfortable with its handling. If you have to go for a RE then you can consider the electra/classic 350. Also if you can further stretch your budget then you can consider the honda CBR 250
Yes ravi, I'm planning a test ride classic 350 on this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanvenu View Post
Its ZMR on any given day over P220. You get gem of an engine, honda's PGMFI and all the goodies. But bear in mind that it wont be as nimble as your splendor in the city. RE is in a different league all together. If you can maintain an RE (not that its heavy on maintenance, it needs some pampering), nothing comes close. If its in the city that you spend most of the time, I would recommend the Dazzler. I'm using a 5 year old unicorn and I still feel the engine as fresh as its new. That's a Honda!
I'm planning to buy ZMA, not ZMR. Not sure about Dazzler, Sharan. I'm still in dual mind. Don't want to take haste decision too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
3)If I were you I did either opt for a Old ZMA or Apache RTR 180 which is a excellent bike for city as well as ocassional long tours provided you can live with the harsh engine noise in some particular rpms. Other wise RTR180 is a potent street machine and the pickup braking and fuel efficiency is far better than ZMA.
I know it is a good city bike, but length wise it is small.

Yesterday took a test ride of TBTS and Yamaha FZs. Though liked the power, pick-up, stability etc in both the bikes. TBTS really disappointed me with the engine note and waiting period of 7 months. But the fun to ride TB was amazing. Planning to check old RE TB in second hand market. Is it worth going for a second hand RE? What points should be consider?

How about Avenger 200cc? Planning to take a test ride. Is this bike comfortable enough to travel on highways, 5 - 6 hrs journey?

Regards,
Imran
ImranShahnawaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 13:21   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Latheesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore/Kannur
Posts: 2,982
Thanked: 2,663 Times
Default Re: Want to buy a 200cc+ Motorcycle

Your mind set for the KARIZMA and wife suggest to to check RE TB!!? Go ahead and get it if it makes your better half happy :-)

Other options you may want to check is:

RTR 180 and I read in this forum that new refreshed R15 is in the pipeline
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 16:46   #12
BHPian
 
sharanvenu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 127
Thanked: 170 Times
Default Re: Want to buy a 200cc+ Motorcycle

I get a feeling that women adore bullet. May be because of the unmatched pillion comfort. ZMA and Unicorn are the other bikes with wide seats. FZ/Fazer have little space for pillion.

And why aren't you interested in the ZMR?
sharanvenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 18:29   #13
//M
Distinguished - BHPian
 
//M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 4,186
Thanked: 8,562 Times
Default Re: Want to buy a 200cc+ Motorcycle

I have been riding a Pulsar 150 UG-3, a Karizma (the first gen) and a Yamaha FZ-S over the last 5 years. The FZ-S is very good but really short on space. I'm 6'2 and feel the FZ-S to be too puny and uncomfortable for long distances. The ZMA on the other hand is as good as it can get on the highways. Its very comfortable and the engne is a gem. The Pulsar sits somewhere in the middle. I have rode the Pulsar extensively over all types of roads and its a very decent bike, but seeks slightly more maintenance than the others.

I'm in the market to buy a new bike in the next 6-8 months as I have sold the ZMA and I'm totally smitten by the RE Classic 350 and the TBTS as I plan to do a lot of highway riding. The CBR250 comes close though.

IMO the Pulsar 220 can get you the best of all worlds at a good price. If not, the RE TBTS makes good sense too.
//M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 13:11   #14
BHPian
 
ImranShahnawaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore/Chennai
Posts: 129
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Want to buy a 200cc+ Motorcycle

[quote=Latheesh;2455996]Your mind set for the KARIZMA and wife suggest to to check RE TB!!? Go ahead and get it if it makes your better half happy :-)[quote]

I took a mid way to keep my better half happy, but the decision was very difficult for me to digest. I book a vehicle which was not in my list at all. But wifey is happy and i decided to save for a few more months to buy CBR250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanvenu View Post
I get a feeling that women adore bullet. May be because of the unmatched pillion comfort. And why aren't you interested in the ZMR?
Yes sharan, she still says I should have booked an RE. The feel of riding an RE is unmatchable. Now the option is only to wait for a month. Mostly after saving a little more I'll go for CBR250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
IMO the Pulsar 220 can get you the best of all worlds at a good price. If not, the RE TBTS makes good sense too.
I checked P220 too, the look of new P220 itself has put me off. They launched P220 in dual shade, looks horrible (my opinion). Front portion in blue and back in black. That's the colour combination for new P220. Though I agree, as a package it is VFM.


As I mentioned above, I booked a bike which was not in my list at all. I started checking bikes in 200+ segment and landed in the net of 100 to 150 segment. It was a disappointing decision for a biker in me, but I decided to follow the TV commercial of SX4 (when you are a family man, the family comes first). I booked an Activa (white), keeping my wifey happy. It has a waiting period of 1 month and expecting to get it by 1st week of September. Now the plan is to save vitamin M for few more months and than go for CBR250.
Thank you all for sharing your views and experiences.

Regards,
Imran
ImranShahnawaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 02:31   #15
BHPian
 
viraj_s85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 96
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Want to buy a 200cc+ Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImranShahnawaz View Post
As I mentioned above, I booked a bike which was not in my list at all. I started checking bikes in 200+ segment and landed in the net of 100 to 150 segment. It was a disappointing decision for a biker in me, but I decided to follow the TV commercial of SX4 (when you are a family man, the family comes first). I booked an Activa (white), keeping my wifey happy. It has a waiting period of 1 month and expecting to get it by 1st week of September. Now the plan is to save vitamin M for few more months and than go for CBR250.
Thank you all for sharing your views and experiences.

Regards,
Imran
Congratulation and I must say you made a wise choice because there is only one more person than your Boss who is always right and that's your Wife... Keep her Happy you never know know Baby CBR may come as a gift to you...
viraj_s85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Excellent mechanic in pune for avenger 200cc kiranvaidya Motorbikes 18 30th October 2015 15:38
How to convert my unicorn to 200cc sreerama Motorbikes 4 27th January 2010 10:48
is honda not going to get into the race for the 200cc and 200+cc segment bikes? mrstyx Motorbikes 10 1st April 2007 16:33
Intro & Question (200cc+ bike) Sriramk Introduce yourself 5 7th December 2006 11:14
I want know about CBZ 200cc thanksnet Motorbikes 2 10th September 2006 20:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:49.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks