Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2014, 11:52   #181
BHPian
 
paliontile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 53
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Hero Impulse

Finally i bit the bullet! Bought a used Impulse, 2 yr old, 7800kms run, black. Sent it for servicing now. Two things to be done on/for the bike:

1) A front tire mud-guard to prevent splashing on the feet
2) Knuckle guards
paliontile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 16:04   #182
BHPian
 
ringoism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Himachal
Posts: 449
Thanked: 1,013 Times
Default Re: Hero Impulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliontile View Post
Finally i bit the bullet! Bought a used Impulse, 2 yr old, 7800kms run, black. Sent it for servicing now. Two things to be done on/for the bike:

1) A front tire mud-guard to prevent splashing on the feet
2) Knuckle guards
Would you mind sharing what you paid for it... or what you think a reasonable price would be to pay for such a machine? The dealers here (Mandi, Kullu) are no longer stocking the Impulse, only taking orders; I hear that nationwide they've not been good sellers, which means (I hope) that they should be priced pretty reasonably on the second-hand market. There's only a handful of them around here, and everyone thinks they're underpowered. Hope I might snag one at a reasonable price eventually.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 22:04   #183
BHPian
 
paliontile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 53
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Hero Impulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Would you mind sharing what you paid for it... or what you think a reasonable price would be to pay for such a machine? The dealers here (Mandi, Kullu) are no longer stocking the Impulse, only taking orders; I hear that nationwide they've not been good sellers, which means (I hope) that they should be priced pretty reasonably on the second-hand market. There's only a handful of them around here, and everyone thinks they're underpowered. Hope I might snag one at a reasonable price eventually.

-Eric
I got it for 55k. At the local dealerships, a 2yr old unused model was being sold for prices ranging from 65 to 68k
paliontile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2014, 20:55   #184
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 77
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Hi all, I am keen on buying a used Impulse particularly for Leh ride. I own an rx135 but am apprehensive of taking it that far; so looking for a similarly light but capable vehicle.

I am concerned about its future and availability of spares etc in the long run. How has been the experience of Impulse owners so far and what do you suggest? Please guide.

BTW, a Hero dealer here in Pune mentioned that he could get me a brand new Impulse if I pay full cost (around 79k) upfront even after agreeing that it is discontinued! Not sure how much sense would that make. I would be reluctant to pay in full until I see and check the vehicle out.
RishikeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 08:47   #185
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 77
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Please help me regarding this decision guys!
RishikeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 10:10   #186
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 461
Thanked: 281 Times
Default Re: Hero Impulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishikeshK View Post
Please help me regarding this decision guys!
If it is just for one time leh ride , why don't you rent a bike and be done with it . That way you don't have to worry about maintaining it in future.
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 10:58   #187
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 77
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Hero Impulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
If it is just for one time leh ride , why don't you rent a bike and be done with it . That way you don't have to worry about maintaining it in future.
Renting is definitely an option, but I am apprehensive about riding an unknown bike with unknown condition over such a harsh terrain. Moreover, I may decide to continue riding around my city in future too.
RishikeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 11:39   #188
Mik
BHPian
 
Mik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: GGN>BLR
Posts: 355
Thanked: 288 Times
Default Re: Hero Impulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishikeshK View Post
Renting is definitely an option, but I am apprehensive about riding an unknown bike with unknown condition over such a harsh terrain. Moreover, I may decide to continue riding around my city in future too.
Impulse is an amazing option for Leh. Two years back, the guy with Impulse in our group was in a motocross mood over the terrain while we were huffing and puffing along
However, it will need a wire in carb mod in Srinagar/Manali, depending on your route. Without that mod, it simply doesn't have the teeth to make it up the passes.
Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 13:53   #189
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 461
Thanked: 281 Times
Default Re: Hero Impulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishikeshK View Post
Renting is definitely an option, but I am apprehensive about riding an unknown bike with unknown condition over such a harsh terrain. Moreover, I may decide to continue riding around my city in future too.
Rent it for a day or two extra , you will get to know the bike . There is a place called Indimotard in Bangalore. They maintain their bikes quite well and they rent it. First decide if you will be using the Impulse for your city commute or not .
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2014, 09:53   #190
BHPian
 
ringoism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Himachal
Posts: 449
Thanked: 1,013 Times
Default Re: Hero Impulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
However, it will need a wire in carb mod in Srinagar/Manali, depending on your route. Without that mod, it simply doesn't have the teeth to make it up the passes.
Have been up to Chandra-Tal (in Spiti) at 14,000ft on a lightly-loaded Unicorn (similar engine output/bike weight) and admittedly it was straining quite a lot and beginning to miss from substantial over-richness. I could wonder whether a stock 150 Honda/Hero could do Kardung-La at all, and even Baralacha/Tanglang might be difficult at points.

But I kind of wish people would stop recommending putting a wire in the carb's main jet (there are just too many risks / variables re: size / cleanliness of wire, whether properly attached, mechanic's whims / carelessness, etc), ESPECIALLY when replacement jets of standard over/under sizes required are so readily available in the metros (even some rural markets) and extremely cheap (no more than Rs10/pc). It would be about a five-minute job for one person (who may then share with the rest on the forum) to check the size of the stock Impulse main jet, which will be clearly stamped on it. Suppose it's a #90 (0.90mm). Go to any good bike spares retailer/wholesaler, and get yourself a #87 and maybe a #85 jet before you travel. In Manali/Srinagar, take five minutes to install the new #87 jet with a flat-blade screwdriver. Easy, foolproof, and guaranteed duplicable next time you travel. Can even DIY along the way as the need arises, if you're so inclined. One step (2-3 whole numbers down) will probably be enough, but if not, you can go another step down later.

Juggad can provide wonderful solutions in tight situations - but utilizing it at times when doing it right is simpler, safer, more predictable and extremely cheap, can only represent carelessness.

I've got a pretty complete set of main/idle jets for my modified KB100/125's, which use the same style ones as Bullets, from #85-116 mains in three-point increments, and have done lots of playing around over the years, optimizing after various mods, as well as for Manali's altitude and on trips to Ladakh, Spiti/Lahaul, Nepal. IMO, a lot of complaints about the performance of a LOT of bikes have ultimately to do with improper jetting (a lot of mechanics unfortunately know nothing at all about tuning, beyond the idle air screw).

Case in point: I got to working on a friend's old ragged Enticer last year. Complaint: low power & missing at anything above half-throttle. Mechanic had said it needed overhauling; he put a new cylinder/piston kit (Rs4500) and delivered it back to the owner running just as badly as it had before. Mechanic now said it needed a new carb (Rs2500). No way, I said. Too much money already, and these guys were obviously incompetent. I borrowed a brand-new carb from another friend's bike and put it on. Still ran poorly, as I'd suspected it would. Put the old carb back and changed out the #90 jet for a #85 (Rs10), and it has been running PERFECT ever since.

Just my 2paise.

-Eric.

Last edited by ringoism : 2nd May 2014 at 09:56.
ringoism is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2014, 10:13   #191
Mik
BHPian
 
Mik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: GGN>BLR
Posts: 355
Thanked: 288 Times
Default Re: Hero Impulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
ESPECIALLY when replacement jets of standard over/under sizes required are so readily available in the metros (even some rural markets) and extremely cheap (no more than Rs10/pc).
Thanks for the info. Will be pointing out to my Impuls-ive friend about this.
Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 20:24   #192
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,354
Thanked: 1,762 Times
Default Re: Hero Impulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
But I kind of wish people would stop recommending putting a wire in the carb's main jet (there are just too many risks / variables re: size / cleanliness of wire, whether properly attached, mechanic's whims / carelessness, etc), ESPECIALLY when replacement jets of standard over/under sizes required are so readily available in the metros (even some rural markets) and extremely cheap (no more than Rs10/pc). It would be about a five-minute job for one person (who may then share with the rest on the forum) to check the size of the stock Impulse main jet, which will be clearly stamped on it.
...
Agree totally.

My views, starting from
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2844049 (The All New Bajaj Pulsar 200NS Unveiled! Update: Rs 84,096- ex showroom Pune)
to
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2849051 (The All New Bajaj Pulsar 200NS Unveiled! Update: Rs 84,096- ex showroom Pune)

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 17:39   #193
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,312
Thanked: 999 Times
Default Re: Hero Impulse

Any news on Impulse with a big heart? I have been lusting after this bike but now that I am in the market for one, I am not able to lay my hands on a bike from showroom :(

If there is any concrete news about an impulse (or a similar bike from any other manufacture) coming in next couple of months, I am ready to wait. Otherwise, I have to start exploring other options soon.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 16:16   #194
BHPian
 
ringoism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Himachal
Posts: 449
Thanked: 1,013 Times
Default Re: Hero Impulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Any news on Impulse with a big heart? I have been lusting after this bike but now that I am in the market for one, I am not able to lay my hands on a bike from showroom :(

If there is any concrete news about an impulse (or a similar bike from any other manufacture) coming in next couple of months, I am ready to wait. Otherwise, I have to start exploring other options soon.

--Anoop
Friend of a friend working at Hero HQ confirmed today that no new 150's are being produced, and that anything at the showrooms that's being sold now is strictly from unsold stock warehoused at the factory. According to him, engineers are apparently working on two options, either a 180 (which is presumably a new design?) or more likely the 225cc Karisma unit, for the reintroduction. Everything somewhat under wraps even internally in the organization, and no revelations as to introduction date or price.

The local showrooms here (H.P.) have not been stocking them for some time, and I was actually told by one of them last week that (despite the Impulse website still being up) the model had been discontinued. I suspect the factory is trying to dispose of unsold stock, though - I told another showroom last week I wanted a red one, and two days later, they called saying one had just arrived.

Might finally go for this. Very likely many spares excepting the engine (no issues there; absolutely generic 149cc Honda Unicorn/Hunk/Achiever/CBZ/etc) will be same on whatever new model emerges; So though it's just a little risky, not immensely worried about parts supply issues going forward. Also suspecting that the company might be willing to cut some good deals (below list prices) in order to get rid of what must be thousands of units of stock sitting and (if the gear levers / nuts / bolts I've seen are any indication) probably rusting in the factory warehouse / parking lot. If I really feel after a while that the power is not cutting it (personally I felt the 150 was okay on my few hours' mountain test ride - posted earlier - assuming some willingness to rev it a bit), I can either re-gear up or down (via front drive sprocket tooth count) to get a more usable first or second gear, or else do a big-bore conversion. Even to 170cc might just nudge it to where it ought to be - and might be possible by simply re-boring to the largest available oversize piston, which would also give a little power-enhancing bump in compression ratio. Get a junkyard cylinder to rebore and a new piston, and the parts/labor involved are not likely to run more than a couple thousand rupees. Would mess up your warranty, but anyway... I'm a DIY'r and don't have much inclination to depend on the showroom (an hour away) for after-sales service anyhow.

With VAT they're quoting Rs73,000 by phone. Might see if they'll bring it down a couple thou, all things considered seems reasonable to expect.

Granted, the bike lacks useful things (for touring) like a large fuel capacity, a tank shape lending itself to a tank bag (or more practically, small child), a center stand, an adjustable rear shock, tubeless tires, or more rigid front fork tubes (their extreme flexing in the latest advertisement I saw, as observed in slow-motion, was dismayingly impressive). But somehow, it is still the best Indian bike, suspension-wise, for bad roads that I've had the pleasure of riding, and the on-road handling just felt a lot more natural and confidence-inspiring than just about anything (excepting a Yezdi Road King and my old KB's) than anything else I've tried to date. Add to that the relative smoothness of the 149cc international mill, and it's not a bad package.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 30th May 2014 at 16:45.
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 15:39   #195
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,312
Thanked: 999 Times
Default Re: Hero Impulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post

With VAT they're quoting Rs73,000 by phone. Might see if they'll bring it down a couple thou, all things considered seems reasonable to expect.

-Eric
Thank you for the update - so, no point in waiting for the updated Impulse. This seals the coffin for me.

I have read in Team bhp that showrooms are selling Impulse at around 55-60K, but cant able to find the link now.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse) deetee Motorbikes 82 20th January 2017 21:08
Replacing the KB-RTZ offroad specials - My Hero Impulse ringoism Motorbikes 84 6th November 2016 19:27
*Rumour* - Hero to phase out Ignitor, Maestro and Impulse ashwin.terminat Motorbikes 26 4th February 2013 11:54
Help needed : Hero Impulse or Enfield Electra 350 Tapish What Car? 8 4th May 2012 11:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks