Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 7th September 2011, 17:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Question Suggestion of must-do's for an old Pulsar?

I own a 04' Pulsar Dtsi 150(ES). It has clocked about 37k kms. I bought it 2 years ago(i am the second owner) with 17k kms on Odo. I plan to keep it with me for some more years,may be till the END. The bike is in good condition,it happily cruises at 80kmph without any vibes(speed sufficient for me). It returns 60+ kmpl with a 70-80 kmph ride,50-52kmpl in city.

Works carried by me after buying it:
1) Engine oil change at every 2-2.2k kms religiously with air filter cleaned at alternate oil change. Oil is ELF 20/40. Mechanic says Castrol is thin and is good for new engines.

2) Silencer changed with new Exhaustec one because old one was rusted badly.
3) Rear shock absorbers changed to Nitrox ones by previous owner.

4) Front disc brake master cylinder kit changed,brake pipe unchanged(shows some cracks on outer cover). Front and rear brake pad/shoes changed.

5)new rear tyre-Ceat 100/90 at 31k kms.
Apart from the above,a couple of bulbs were changed,a new lock set was put and chain was tightened. Regular cleaning was done.

The above works were done over the past 2 yrs. It was carried out a local workshop by my trusted mechanic and all OEM parts were used.

Problems/Queries:
1)There is a metallic ticking(as if a loose connecting rod) sometimes when engine started afresh in a day or when it has run a long distance. It disappears on its own in the former case within sometime.

2)The chain slackens very quickly over a period of 100-200kms and feels a bit rough. My mechanic says CHAIN OK,no change required. What is the life of chain sprocket? Is mine due for a change?

3)Headlight is inadequate. Wanted to upgrade to 55w/55w but mine is the Round headlamp with the old Incandescent bulb type holder. What to do? Should i go for new Pulsar fairing lamp set or can i change the holder only?(The reflector is still very good)

4)A friend suggested to decarbonise the engine every 20k kms. Is it necessary?

5)What is the life the Clutch?

I want help regarding the above listed problems.

Also i know that i have not carried out many works according to the service manual but my mechanic says essential works have been done and absolutely nothing more to do/change till 50k Kms. Should i believe him?
My query is-what are the must-dos to keep it in good condition?

Please suggest me a good Engine oil for Pulsar 150?

PS:I am really attached to my bike and plan to keep it with me as long as i can. My usage is in the range of 800-1000kms pm but may fall down in near future as i plan to buy a car(but the bike will stay). Please help me
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 17:43   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Suggestions of must-do for an old Pulsar?

Here are some answers that may help you solve your queries :
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I own a 04' Pulsar Dtsi 150(ES). It has clocked about 37k kms. I bought it 2 years ago(i am the second owner) with 17k kms on Odo. I plan to keep it with me for some more years,may be till the END. The bike is in good condition,it happily cruises at 80kmph without any vibes(speed sufficient for me). It returns 60+ kmpl with a 70-80 kmph ride,50-52kmpl in city.

Works carried by me after buying it:
1) Engine oil change at every 2-2.2k kms religiously with air filter cleaned at alternate oil change. Oil is ELF 20/40. Mechanic says Castrol is thin and is good for new engines.

2) Silencer changed with new Exhaustec one because old one was rusted badly.
3) Rear shock absorbers changed to Nitrox ones by previous owner.

4) Front disc brake master cylinder kit changed,brake pipe unchanged(shows some cracks on outer cover). Front and rear brake pad/shoes changed.

5)new rear tyre-Ceat 100/90 at 31k kms.
Apart from the above,a couple of bulbs were changed,a new lock set was put and chain was tightened. Regular cleaning was done.

The above works were done over the past 2 yrs. It was carried out a local workshop by my trusted mechanic and all OEM parts were used.
Quote:
Problems/Queries:
1)There is a metallic ticking(as if a loose connecting rod) sometimes when engine started afresh in a day or when it has run a long distance. It disappears on its own in the former case within sometime.
If it's from the engine , it may be a wrong tappet clearance setting.
Ask the mechanic to correct it , please be careful to make him perform this setting on a COLD engine only , warm engine reset will be useless .
Quote:
2)The chain slackens very quickly over a period of 100-200kms and feels a bit rough. My mechanic says CHAIN OK,no change required. What is the life of chain sprocket? Is mine due for a change?
Do you properly clean and lubricate it , with gear oil or a chain lubricator ?
If he says it okay and you trust him then check the chain adjustment screw and its threads once if lubrication does not correct it .

Quote:
3)Headlight is inadequate. Wanted to upgrade to 55w/55w but mine is the Round headlamp with the old Incandescent bulb type holder. What to do? Should i go for new Pulsar fairing lamp set or can i change the holder only?(The reflector is still very good)
I am bit unsure about the electrical part , but I believe a higer rating with non clear headlamp will harm the reflector , u can easliy get a clear headlamp glass for the round pulsar light and fit a higher that recommended bulb .
Quote:

4)
A friend suggested to decarbonise the engine every 20k kms. Is it necessary?
20k ? too early !!
I'll prefer 40k interval for 4 strokes (that also if you feel the need) , 2 strokes need a 20K decarbonisation .
Quote:

5)
What is the life the Clutch?
I used to think 20-25k kms is the point where you
may perhaps start to think about changing the
clutch plates.

but 2 of my friends had change them at about 7-8k on the odo (bajaj quality control maybe )

Quote:
I want help regarding the above listed problems.

Also i know that i have not carried out many works according to the service manual but my mechanic says essential works have been done and absolutely nothing more to do/change till 50k Kms. Should i believe him?
My query is-what are the must-dos to keep it in good condition?
  1. Every weekend check for any leaks
  2. Check for any unusual sounds from any part of the motorcycle.
  3. Clean it properly
  4. WD40 routine helps to prevent any rusting
  5. Check the alloys for structural integrity
  6. Keep fuel above reserve mark most of the times

and personally , you are doing enough to maintain the bike.
    cheers and ride well !
Quote:
Please suggest me a good Engine oil for Pulsar 150?
I dont own a pulsar , I have personally just used Motul 300V for my RTR160, reviews off the net talk a lot about the fully synth oils from Mobil and Amsoil.

As far is 300V is concered, well its amazing. Shifts remain smooth even after 4K kms of riding.

Quote:
PS:I am really attached to my bike and plan to keep it with me as long as i can. My usage is in the range of 800-1000kms pm but may fall down in near future as i plan to buy a car(but the bike will stay). Please help me
Dont worry , you are doing enough
rahulsingh007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 18:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Suggestions of must-do for an old Pulsar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsingh007 View Post
Here are some answers that may help you solve your queries :

If it's from the engine , it may be a wrong tappet clearance setting.
Ask the mechanic to correct it , please be careful to make him perform this setting on a COLD engine only , warm engine reset will be useless .
ok

Do you properly clean and lubricate it , with gear oil or a chain lubricator ?
If he says it okay and you trust him then check the chain adjustment screw and its threads once if lubrication does not correct it .
The point is that the chain has been cut once at 32k kms as it was beyond adjustment after lots of tightening. I insisted on replacing but mechanic said the chain was good and should go on another 10k-15k kms. Do you suggest that i replace it to play safe? what is the normal chain-sprocket life?

I am bit unsure about the electrical part , but I believe a higer rating with non clear headlamp will harm the reflector , u can easliy get a clear headlamp glass for the round pulsar light and fit a higher that recommended bulb .
I have the OE clear lens headlamp itself with halogen bulb but with old household bulb(with 2 protruding pins)type bulb holder. Due to that holder, I can't put in higher watt bulb. Can I change the holder only(cheap)? Or do i have to buy the new Pulsar fairing lamp(expensive option)?

20k ? too early !!
I'll prefer 40k interval for 4 strokes (that also if you feel the need) , 2 strokes need a 20K decarbonisation .
Ok. Will do it shortly.

I used to think 20-25k kms is the point where you
may perhaps start to think about changing the
clutch plates.

but 2 of my friends had change them at about 7-8k on the odo (bajaj quality control maybe )
Sorry to hear about your friends. My clutch has held on till now(defective piece is it? and seems ok. May be I should change it in near future.
  1. Every weekend check for any leaks
  2. Check for any unusual sounds from any part of the motorcycle.
  3. Clean it properly
  4. WD40 routine helps to prevent any rusting
  5. Check the alloys for structural integrity
  6. Keep fuel above reserve mark most of the times

and personally , you are doing enough to maintain the bike.
    cheers and ride well !
1,2,3&6 is done by me already. will start doing 4.
Can't do 5. as mine has spoke wheels. How much do alloys cost and what are the advantages of it? I have been wanting to fit them.

I dont own a pulsar , I have personally just used Motul 300V for my RTR160, reviews off the net talk a lot about the fully synth oils from Mobil and Amsoil.
Congrats on your RTR160. It's a great bike

As far is 300V is concered, well its amazing. Shifts remain smooth even after 4K kms of riding.

I use ELF/Motul 300V in my bike and i know they are very smooth. Drains intervals are more but i always change the oil at 2-2.2K kms. Was curious about the synthetic oils and hence the above query. Also read that Synthetic oils are good for engine and give better performance.
Dont worry , you are doing enough
Thanks.

Would welcome suggestions to the above additional queries.
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote