Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 20th September 2011, 05:19   #16
Default Re: Thunderbird Clutch Issue

I don't know if steel wool is available in India but if it is, it would be much better to use to remove rust from chrome parts than sand paper is.

Steel wool comes in pads and looks like very fine steel hairs matted together.
In America it can be bought at hardware stores. There are also soap pads intended for cleaning kitchen sinks that consist of steel wool with soap embedded in it. SOS is one brand of these.

Steel wool is not as hard as chrome so it can be used to rub away rust without damaging the chrome plating.
The sand on sand paper on the other hand is much harder than chrome and using it to remove rust will result in removing the chrome plating as well.

Of course, neither of these should be used on a painted surface as both of them will remove paint.
ArizonaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 20:34   #17
Default Re: Thunderbird Clutch Issue

You might also note that the "cable lubricant" is not a thick, highly viscous fluid. A thin oil will work just as well and it will be easier to get it to flow down thru the restrictive area between the cable and the inside of the cable sheath.

This quote was really an eye opener. I tried three in one oil to lube the clutch cable (the one used to lubricate sewing machines) and that was a great success . There was no need to disconnect the cable from any ends as I used an iv cannula and a syringe for the purpose with the clutch lever in the grabbed position. Go for the largest iv cannula as the needle will be longer and hence flexible. My clutch cable moves like a hot knife on butter now
Attached Images

Last edited by adrian : 27th September 2011 at 20:36.
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote