Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 27th February 2006, 00:36   #1
BHPian

Default Problem with my pulsar-help!

hi guys ,
i wasnt sure in which section should I post my problem so mods can move it if they want to.

It's been almost a year since i purchased my pulsar 150 dtsi bike ( the new model with gas suspensions and mag wheels). Past two months i noticed a very serious problem that whenever there is a pillion rider on the bike and i drive thru a moderate sized pothole (pune has quite a few of them) the rear wheel seems to touch the body and makes a really irritating bump noise. Apparently my friend who has the same bike also has a similar problem.

When i contacted the bajaj service station they said that the gas level gets uneven and so they changed the suspension setting by two notches. But this still hasnt solved my problem even after 1 month.

So i desperately need help from you guys.

thanks

Alen

Last edited by Aditya : 27th February 2006 at 00:52.
alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 01:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

I doubt this problem can be fixed, raising the suspension would only add to stiffer ride in normal conditions when u drive without pillion rider. Actually many Pulsar owners buy the bike as its the only good looking under 50 k option around, however this bike is prone to too many niggling issues as Bajaj quality is still not as good as compared to the likes of Honda etc. I suggest you look for other bike options like the Unicorn or the new splendor as those bikes give decent FE, ride and are not prone to these niggling problems.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 02:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

hey aseem
what kind of other niggling problems do the pulsars have ?? i think all bikes will have similar problems like theseim sure the unicorn suspension will be much better as its monoshock but splendor ? why did you suggest that.and looking out for another bike is not really an option as hes barely used the bike for a year.

rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 12:42   #4
BHPian

Dude maybe as aseem said you could stiffen the rear suspension...

The current Pulsar does seem to continue having niggling problems, and this one is something another friend of mine has reported too. From the looks of it, they still have not sorted out the weight distribution thing properly, as the swing arm still looks a tad-bit too long. Also, they have gone ahead and attached 17" rims, while most bikes use the standard 18" rims on the wheels...that could also be one of the areas of concern.

You just might have to live with it...options to sort it out might burn a hole in your pocket.
turbo_v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 17:41   #5
BHPian

thanks for the reply guys. But still if u find any viable option please let me know. BTW this problem is not there in the old pulsars.

Thanks
Alen
Old 27th February 2006, 18:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hey alen, the problem is there with my pulsar too, and that too without having a pillion. The rear suspension thunks loudly when driven through potholes. The Sai Service guy told me that this is a common problem with all bikes having gas charged suspension (like the Electra), and is not that serious. We will just have to live with it :( .
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 16:08   #7
BHPian

Hey,

I have a new 180 dutsy.......... is this problem seen in these ones also..... cause they have the new nitrox suspension which is different from the 150s...........
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 22:21   #8
BHPian

Well i am not so sure bout the 180s but i too have the nitrox suspension in my 150 and this problem is seen only in these suspensions. Even the new machismo wch has nitrox suspension has this problem.
Old 3rd March 2006, 01:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

I guess everyone agrees that the problem cant be fixed, your best option is either to live with it, or find a person who is not well informed and sell hi your faulty bike. Than later you can buy a Splendor and have peace of mind and better mileage.
Old 3rd March 2006, 16:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually many Pulsar owners buy the bike as its the only good looking under 50 k option around, however this bike is prone to too many niggling issues as Bajaj quality is still not as good as compared to the likes of Honda etc. I suggest you look for other bike options like the Unicorn or the new splendor as those bikes give decent FE, ride and are not prone to these niggling problems.
@aseem : First of all nothing is perfect in this world !!

Unicorn is not without any problems. It's problem list includes poor electricals, bad suspension, high rear vibration, costly spare parts, problematic downshifts etc and the list goes on. So never blame blindly any bike.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2006, 16:27   #11
BHPian

Even i own the current pulsar with the gas charged suspension and been facing the same issue, its quite irritating at times. But i think its not much of problem and atleast i have learnt to live with it. Leaving that aside there are no issues with the bike.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2006, 23:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
@aseem : First of all nothing is perfect in this world !!

Unicorn is not without any problems. It's problem list includes poor electricals, bad suspension, high rear vibration, costly spare parts, problematic downshifts etc and the list goes on. So never blame blindly any bike.
Mithun you have taken my remark to personally.... do you own a Pulsar? I am sure all bikes have problems, but some have it more than others. I wanted to highlight that Bajaj finishing and standards are still not enough to compete with the likes of Honda. Bajaj still has a learning curve. I think the observation from most people here concurs with my observations. In any case, there are a few perfect things in the world, one being me jk...
Old 4th March 2006, 01:34   #13

Okies, the problem that you are facing seems to be caused due to cavitation in the gas shox of Pulsar. The problem is common in Pulsar and Royal Enfield bikes and it is not the fault of the bike. The problem occurs due the technology that the Nitrox gas shox use. The new TVS Apache and Honda Unicorn uses an almost full proof technology to eliminate this problem.

The gas charged shocks in Apache are different from what BAL offers in the Pulsars. In the Apache the oil is the pressure component while the gas (Nitrous dioxide) does the dampening, resulting in almost zero cavitation. While in Pulsars, the gas is the pressure component and its left to the oil to do the compressing,dampening,etc. resulting in cavitation and shocks fading out eventually.TVS and Honda has inverted how the gas shocks work in Pulsar. The Unicorn monoshock also works along the same lines of the Apache. Zero cavitation would mean that shocks would long much laster than the Pulsar ones.

Hope this will clear some doubts about why the problem is happening!

Cheers,
darkside_of_sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 01:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside_of_sun
. Zero cavitation would mean that shocks would long much laster than the Pulsar ones.
haha did you mean long much laster or last much longer ??

any way what u want to know is is it possible to change the original pulsar gas shocks and put the apache ones since they are better ??

Rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 13:55   #15
BHPian

Quote:
any way what u want to know is is it possible to change the original pulsar gas shocks and put the apache ones since they are better ??

Rev
well thts the question all pulsar owners have on their mind.
If anyone has a solution please post it and please don't ask us to sell our bikes cus apart from this problem i happy with my bike .