Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 7th October 2011, 11:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Moving on from an Enfield to a bike which would make me :) in city/traffic!

Quote:
(No offence meant for existing/potential bullet owners. That is just the way i feel.).
None taken. We always respect. Everybody has their own liking. Like we bulleteers do. No matter what bike i ride i just love sitting on my 500 or the new (old) 350 anyday.

But i do understand the whole point. Its just a matter of choice and comfort and not about pride or for the sake of it.

I do a lot of work on my bullet on my own from changing brakes, kicker spring, clutch wires or any electrical adjustments. The only place i havent touched is the engine. But i am sure one day i will start exploring that as well. This level of comfort i cannot get in another bike. And that is where i feel we get connected with these bullets. Its definitely a not so trouble free bike nor easieset of all to maintain. Yet the torque at high RPM and the "bud, bud, bud" sound makes us forget about the pain in the rear maintenance requirement for a bullet.
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 12:41   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Moving on from an Enfield to a bike which would make me :) in city/traffic!

A friend of mine has the CBR and he find it very tough to travel on it in traffic. Try the Pulsar 220 street edition, it has oodles of power and you will be able to handle ti easily through the traffic too.
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 12:59   #33
BHPian

HH Karizma R all the way mate. Having owned it for 7 years now I can vouch for miles of stress-free riding in traffic or otherwise and a trouble free ownership. Spares and maintainance are not too expensive either!!!

Else you could probably look at the Apache RTR 180. I would suggest the ABS version which works like a charm. Quite useful in our country IMHO

OT: Just the front fairing of the Pulsar 220 costs Rs10000 i think
AdrenalinJunkie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 13:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
@abhinav.s - I am sorry to know about the FZ. Did the ride/handling impress you?
Oh yes! High speed handling and leaning were a breeze. In fact i myself realized that i could lean into a corner so much on the FZ. Before that on the RTR160, with TVS tires, i was always jittery to lean into a corner. The only problem with handling i faced was at slow speeds where it would not change direction as easily owing to the fat rear tire. But that was not too much of a bother. Your advice was spot on! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
  • The vibrations. A big negative on the Apache, you will feel numbness especially on your left hand if you do a continuous riding for 1 hour in the 4000-5000 rpm range. I have read that the vibes reduce after that RPM range, though I haven't checked it out personally since it's still in the running-in period.
You have got it right my friend. And to your above point, i have started opening up my bike and its at 970kms now. After 5.5k rpm, the bike becomes really smooth. You dont have any vibes in the handlebar or foot pegs. And even at 4.2-4.4k rpm i am not feeling as many vibes. The worst is the 1000 rpms between 4.5k to 5.5k. I avoid riding in this rpm band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Given a second chance, i'd go with Yamaha bikes anyday as they're almost niggle free and the service they provide is light years ahead of Hero!!!
Tread carefully mate. Am speaking from experience. Yamaha is no saint when it comes to service. Unless your bike is niggle free, they can do the normal servicing just fine. You go to them with issues, for the life of them they cannot solve them. A simple thing such as Air-Fuel ratio which they are supposed to be trained to set, could not be set right by 4 different Yamaha service centers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Try the Pulsar 220 street edition, it has oodles of power and you will be able to handle ti easily through the traffic too.
I would avoid the Pulsar series like plague. I might be repeating myself but they just do not age well. And by age, i am not saying 50,000 kms etc. I had the chance to ride P220S of my colleague which has done 9000 kms only. It already sounded like a tractor and the headlight dome was shaking. When asked he said the service was completed just 1000 kms ago and Bajaj informed him that all Pulsar domes are like that and nothing can be done about them . In comparison the latest crop of P150 is good as a 7000 kms run P150 was sounding lot better but still noisy and rattly compared to other bikes in the segment.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 7th October 2011 at 13:21.
abhinav.s is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 17:03   #35
Awaiting Email Confirmation

wonder why nobody has suggested the New Hero MotoCorp CBZ Extreme:

Hero India ? Hero MotoCorp Ltd. | Bike - CBZ Xtreme

fits the bill perfectly,though 150cc does not feel underpowered at all,fantastic midrange in the bike for city use

Last edited by nitin.dangayach : 7th October 2011 at 17:05.
nitin.dangayach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 01:56   #36
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok, here's my experience at looking at 3 different bikes - all across various price ranges.

1. TVS Apache RTR 180 ABS : Going by the response in this thread and the reviews I have read - this is the bike that I finally decided upon. So we decided to visit the local dealership to make the payment and pick up the bike which had arrived from their godown. We had insisted that we want a fresh piece and not the bike that was present at the dealership. We had also informed the dealership that we would only pick the bike if we liked it and there were no issues or defects in it. We had refused to pre-book the bike or have them allot a bike to us. The complete payment would be done only once we have inspected the bike. And this was agreed.

So we reached the showroom and they showed us the bike. We started going through the bike to look for any defects / issues. And we did find a few :
- Yellow spots on the headlight fairing - which we assume was due to the cloth that they used to wipe the bike. But it only disappeared after applying rubbing compound.
- Paint chip on the headlight fairing. There was a slight paintchip on the fairing and seemed to have had a touch up job.
- The paint on the rear wheel hub had come off - kind of rusted / oxidised.
- There were some marks on the fuel filler cap.
- The sticker on the front mudguard was peeling a bit at the end.

We were not satisfied with this bike and therefore told them that we need to see another piece. The RTR160 Hyper Edge which was on display had better quality than this particular ABS model. The ABS model we had seen a few days back did not have any such issues. Maybe this model was a bit faulty.

So we have to wait for next week till the other lot arrives from the godown. We also checked with another TVS dealer - but they did not have an ABS in stock.

Meanwhile we did have enough time in the day to check out the Honda CBR250R which my brother had in mind.

So we headed towards the Om Sai Honda showroom in Malad. We parked our car in the In-Orbit mall and walked towards the showroom.
Name:  Apache1.jpg
Views: 4581
Size:  146.2 KB
Name:  APACHE2.jpg
Views: 7607
Size:  228.4 KB
Name:  Apache3.jpg
Views: 6381
Size:  228.2 KB

2. Yamaha R15 Version 2 : You may be wondering whats the connection between Om Sai Honda and the R15. Well, the Yamaha showroom comes before the Om Sai Honda showroom - and so we decided to just have a look at the new R15. And I must say - the R15 got a smile on all our faces. It was a bike that didnt need a salesman to sell it. It would sell itself just sitting over there. We were amazed with the quality of the bike - there was nothing in this bike that was cheaply designed or fitted. Everything reeked of quality - right from the paint-job on the fairing to the plastic cladding on the underbody. That coupled up with an amazing, clean and organised showroom - we were flattered enough to buy it just for these reasons.

However after having a good look at the bike, we decided against it for very simple reasons :
- It is expensive (but worth every penny)
- Its not a practical bike. The rear sets and low clipons would mean that this would be uncomfortable in traffic.
- The rear seats are much higher than the older R15 and do not have grab rails. It would be very uncomfortable for the pillion.

If I were not to think of the pillion or practicality - I would definitely have bought this bike. And this bike is the reason that made my brother go against his earlier decision of considering a CBR250R.
Name:  R151.jpg
Views: 2510
Size:  208.0 KB
Name:  R152.jpg
Views: 11519
Size:  188.0 KB

3. Honda CBR250R : We finally proceeded towards the Om Sai showroom just minutes before it was going to be closed. Frankly speaking - after coming out of the Yamaha showroom - the Honda showroom was a disappointment. I cant explain what it looked like - the showroom was like a mess. 2 CBR250's were parked in a very haphazardly manner. Both the bikes were dirty - muck and dust all over it. One was a maroon bike (test ride) and the other was a silver (display bike). We had a look at the bike for around 5 mins and sat on it and checked the comfort level, posture etc. We could not get a test-ride since it was too late. For all of the 10-15 mins where we checked the bike, sat on it, discussed with the salesman - the discussion was serious. It was not exciting at all - like it was for the RTR or the R15. After looking at the R15 especially, we expected a lot more from the CBR. But it didnt have that "something" that the R15 had - there was that excitement missing. The smile that we had when we were looking at the RTR or the R15 (grin actually) was missing when we were looking at the CBR.

So we walked out of the showroom - my brother's mind made up - that he does not want to spend 1.65 lakhs on the CBR. But he is still going for a test-ride soon to see if it can change his mind. The bike does look good in the pics - but in the flesh it did not impress us. Maybe its because the bike was dirty or maybe it was the showroom condition.
Name:  CBR.jpg
Views: 2113
Size:  289.2 KB

Conclusion
We have to wait for the second lot of RTR ABS to arrive at the dealership.
The R15 is out of the question for practical reasons.
The CBR250R is out too, since we were not impressed.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 08:52   #37
Senior - BHPian

@V12 - So you guys, went to the showroom, sat on the bike, spoke to the salesman & didn't find anything to impress!!! Please teach me the trick of getting impressed without test riding a motorcycle so that I can start posting reviews too. Anyway, there're lot of C250R offenders all around, so I'm least bothered on those comments these days.

If you're seriously interested in C250R (which I believe you aren't because of the price tag), do take a test ride for good few Kms from any of your friends instead of test ride piece from showroom OR if you want to reject on these grounds, then...
1. One is bound to develop wrist pain if the seating posture is incorrect; its not like RTR or P220 where one can simply exchange bikes & keep riding; if you're used to the riding posture of any sportsbike, then, that's the posture for C250R too.
2. The rear tire is to be thrown away from day one because of the hard compound rubber; mine is almost looking like brand new even after 11K kms. Had it been like N250R or R15 tire, it would've worn out atleast to half by now
3. Ride in the city mild to medium city traffic to see how the bike pulls effortlessly + ride on open highway to challenge your speed limits
4. Do not expect miracles on FE; all it can give you is not more than 30 when ridden a little hard. At the most, 33

Last but not the least, the relationship between ASC & the bike is more longer than the showroom/sales & the bike. So going by how the showroom/sales looks & buying a motorcycle...I'm not sure how things work out.

Going by your requirements, I'd ask you stay out of C250R/R15 etc & buy something that works cheap (economical) for now to keep your windows open for the 600cc when they're available in India.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 10:26   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@V12 - So you guys, went to the showroom, sat on the bike, spoke to the salesman & didn't find anything to impress!!! Please teach me the trick of getting impressed without test riding a motorcycle so that I can start posting reviews too.
Hi!

I believe we can do without any criticism He was impressed by R15's looks which was not the case with the CBR and it really isn't.

@V12 - I myself went to check out the new R15 after the dealer gave me a call and despite owning one for 30 months & riding one for 15,000kms I was tempted as hell to get myself one, in black. It looked so cool. This is one bike which I won't mind buying on the basis of looks alone. But, then it won't be anything new for me and the R15 entertains me still as to the way it makes its power (a diwali rocket post 7,000revs), handling is sublime, braking is spot-on.

I am sacrificing all this for the bland looks of the CBR-250R. Frankly, nowadays, I find the R15 a bit slow to my liking. I have vowed to start touring a bit again and this is where the CBR will shine brightly.

Buy the bike which brings the biggest smile. as at the end, it is you & your Motorcycle.

Sharing a video review of the new R15 V2.0
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 10:34   #39
Senior - BHPian

I really don't want to be in your shoes, its a terrible dilema, choosing a bike.

For now, I'm happy with my BULLET

But if push comes to shove, the APACHE is too cramped, might want to check that one out while moving from a BULLET

I for one was thinking about the BOXER 150, its being marketed as the new YEZDI/BULLET/RAJDOOT for the rural masses. The salesmen are also selling its capability to carry 3 people!

I have also heard a lot of good reviews about the SUZUKI GS150, its like a big bike with a small engine, I mean, gives you that big bike feel while moving from a BULLET

Coming back to my first line, I really don't want to be in this dilema. Wish you all the best and may you choose a bike that will live up to your expectations.
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 13:08   #40
BHPian

@V12 - I am in a similar dilemma as yours. The only difference being that I don't have a 2 wheeler anymore and want to get one which can be a slick city mover and double up as a tourer. Which automatically means I select a bike which is light and flickable, yet comfortable for long journeys.

I have been in touch with Abhinav to choose which one and as of now (swinging majorly towards the Apache RTR 180 ABS) I have decided to wait since a slew of launches are underway.. the one particular launch I have been tracking is of the KTM Duke 200 which has already debuted in Malaysia and Brazil.

Do look it up, you might find it interesting. Cheers
4strings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 16:41   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
If you're seriously interested in C250R (which I believe you aren't because of the price tag), do take a test ride for good few Kms from any of your friends instead of test ride piece from showroom OR if you want to reject on these grounds, then...
Sorry to a bit OT here. No idea about the dealers in Chennai, but here in Mumbai, the Honda dealers reek of attitude and high-handedness. Forget a few kms, when I had gone there with a friend who even had a cheque-book in his hand, they didn't allow him to take a test-drive till the next divider break, which was no more than 100 mtrs. They also had the audacity to make the statement, "Sir, 10 kms ya 100 mtr, what difference does it make? People pay the full amount without even test-riding them!"
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 16:47   #42
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey aargee, No offence meant at all to the CBR250R. I agree that without taking a test ride - it is no possible to rule out the CBR250R. Like sheel mentioned, its the whole experience that we had the Yamaha showroom that changed things. He is still gonna have a test ride of the bike and decide if he needs to buy it for himself.

It was at the showrooms that I have seen both the bikes up-close. Otherwise it has been only on the net. In pictures - I did not like the R15 V2 at all and I loved the looks of the CBR250R. But in flesh - it was the other way round. Like I said :

Quote:
Maybe its because the bike was dirty or maybe it was the showroom condition.
I have no doubt that the CBR250R is a great bike to ride. Have read a lot of local as well and international reviews and there were all praises for the bike.

Quote:
@V12 - I am in a similar dilemma as yours. The only difference being that I don't have a 2 wheeler anymore and want to get one which can be a slick city mover and double up as a tourer. Which automatically means I select a bike which is light and flickable, yet comfortable for long journeys.
Its the same problem here 4strings. We arer swinging majorly towards the RTR180 - but my brother is more inclined towards the CBR250R. So it all depends on his test-ride tomorrow.

Quote:
Buy the bike which brings the biggest smile. as at the end, it is you & your Motorcycle.
Thanks Sheel!
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 23:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Here is an update:

I called up Yaash TVS Motors, who confirmed they bought in two more ABS bikes from their godown. So I went prepared with the full payment, documents and an excited mind. Upon reaching, I seen the bike standing dirty in the corner. So I asked them to give it a thorough wash so I could check for any paint issues. They took around 30mins before they could give it a wash.

After the wash, I found everything to be good, there was no rust on the discs. All seemed fine. I ask them to start the bike. For the next 1.5 hrs there was a massive search for the bike keys.

I was disappointed.

After waiting so long, the owner tells me we can change the lock set of the bike. In my head I'm thinking, I haven't even bought the bike yet and its being opened up. They start some work and later realize they cannot change the lock set, since the tank lock cannot be opened unless they have the original key.

I was disappointed.

They went to the extent of telling me I may not be able to take any bike home, because I have a demand-draft. They claim that a DD can bounce.

I was disappointed.

They tell me there is another bike somewhere on their second floor. I went up, seen the bike, it was covered in dust. So I asked them to forget about it, since it would take a lot of time to wash, for me to inspect the bike, for the PDI and the payment. They request for a last chance. I said okay. They get the bike to the washing room, give it a thorough wash. I see the bike seems fine. They put the key in, the rev meter goes to 12k rpm, but stops back at 11k rpm.

I was disappointed.

The mechanic says water must've gone in, it'll be all right. I said its not all right. So he took it for a short spin, comes back. Turns the ignition off and back on. Rev meter goes to 12k, comes back and stops on 11k. He starts the bike. Revs it like crazy and I'm looking at him in amazement asking "isnt this a new bike and isnt it wrong to rev it to such high rpms?". To which he answers, "its not under load, so its fine". I slide the headlight switch, but dont see any lights on. He tells me, "headlight socket connected nahi hai". I reply, "thats not my job, you're selling, you're supposed to have EVERYTHING in place". The service advisor comes out asking me to wait for 5 mins while he opens the headlight cowl, fixes the stuff.

I was disappointed.

I fired the lights out of them saying:
  • I came two days back, you had a rubbish RTR 180 ABS shown to me.
  • Today was my third visit.
  • I waited for around four hours.
  • I was shown a bike, waited for 3.5 hrs for it and was told the keys are lost.
  • I was shown another bike, which had niggles.
  • You tell me you'll do the work in 5 minutes.
  • What were you doing for 4 hrs while I waited? Wasted my time.
  • You aren't bothered to sell me a good bike, I won't be bothered to wait any longer.

I returned disappointed, no smile. no excitement, no bike.

Reconsidering picking the RTR now or may try another dealer.

Last edited by Gordon : 10th October 2011 at 23:40.
Gordon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 23:40   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I called up Yaash TVS Motors, who confirmed they bought in two more ABS bikes from their godown. So I went prepared with the full payment, documents and an excited mind. Upon reaching, I seen the bike standing dirty in the corner. So I asked them to give it a thorough wash so I could check for any paint issues. They took around 30mins before they could give it a wash.

That's pathetic. I've heard good reviews about Innovative TVS in a biking site (xbhp) and I had read that a few people had even come from the western suburbs to buy from Innovative. Unfortunately, when I was booking my bike, they were closed for the day and I had to book it that day as dad was flying back, and a wait meant 3-4 weeks. Do check them out if you don't mind traveling to Mulund.
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 13:43   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Reconsidering picking the RTR now or may try another dealer.
Oh boy! Really bad dealership experience. Like Prateek has suggested try a different dealer if its not too much of an inconvenience.

@v12: Did you test drive the RTR180, if not ABS the non-ABS one at least. If not please do so. Then take a call if you should go with another dealer. Once the engine crosses 1000kms mark, the vibes mentioned are prominent only in the 5k-5.7k rpm range. So you have either be below it in the city or above it. But you will be doing to close to 70kmph at 5k rpm so it should not be a bother.

Somehow TVS don't have good presence in the other parts of India except South. Here I had a truck load of RTR180's waiting and the sales person left me in the yard to select a bike of my choice. And good thing with TVS is the Mfg. date is on a sticker on the rear number plate. So it was easy to get the latest mfg. bike. Or probably since ABS was just launched, and the demand is not as much, they are having limited stock in all showrooms.

Anyways, all the best and hope you land up with a good bike.
abhinav.s is online now   Reply With Quote