Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 5th November 2011, 06:37   #46
BHPian

Default Re: King of the Roads (Royal Enfield Classic Chrome)

Thanks a lot Arizonajim for the clarification. I am happy to know that all is done as per the book.

Now I have the old silencer set with the right rear foot rest as spare with me. Any sugestions what I should do with them? Should I put it up for give away?
sudipta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 10:09   #47
Senior - BHPian

If someone is willing to pay for it then, by all means, sell it.

You may want to ride your bike with the new silencer on it for awhile to make sure your motorcycle continues to run all right.

If your motorcycle starts experiencing overheated sparkplugs or it "pings" from pre-detonation when accelerating, you may decide to reinstall the old silencer.

These computer controlled fuel injected motorcycles like the Indian non-export Royal Enfield EFI or UCE are set up to use the factory equipment.
It may work great with your new silencer. On the other hand, it might not.
ArizonaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 15:25   #48
BHPian

ArozonaJim,

The silencer is a Royal Enfield Original spare from the brand Showroom. It is called Off-road model which if I am not wrong, is made for classic model only. They actually show-off this model with the off-road silencer and provided it to the Journos during the launch in India on 28th Sept. Do you still think that there is a chance of any issue?

Not sure I understand what you mean by "ping" from pre-detonation while accelerating. Is it like the boom that comes sometimes while you blip the accelarator (during the return to the idle)?

Also please let me know if there can be other signs for any trouble/issue.
Old 7th November 2011, 16:33   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
Thanks a lot Arizonajim for the clarification. I am happy to know that all is done as per the book.

Now I have the old silencer set with the right rear foot rest as spare with me. Any sugestions what I should do with them? Should I put it up for give away?
Sudipta,

Do you need to change the right rear foot rest too when you change the silencer? I did not understand that hence asking.
nareshtrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 02:07   #50
Senior - BHPian

sudipta:

Americans call it a "ping". The sound is also called a knock by the British.

It is not the rumble or boom one hears when they are blipping the throttle or the pop,pop sound from the exhaust when one is slowing down.

It sounds much like a rattle or or the sound of someone tapping rapidly on a piece of heavy metal with a small hammer and it is often associated with poor quality gasoline or one with too low of a octane or "anti-knock" additive in it for the engine that is being used.
It usually happens only during acceleration when the engine is receiving large amounts of fuel/air and is under a heavy load.

If the percentage of fuel in the air being delivered to the engines cylinder is too low (lean) or the fuel has too little anti-knock additive, just the compression of the mixture by the piston may cause it to ignite before the spark plug actually sparks.
Not only will this early burning of the fuel not create power but it can be very harmful.

Under normal conditions when the proper fuel/air mixture is ignited by the spark plug it does not explode. It burns very quickly but in a smooth, progressive flame that moves away from the spark plug to the edges of the combustion chamber. This smoothly increases the pressure in the cylinder and pushes the piston down.

When a low octane (too little "anti-knock") gasoline or when the mixture of gasoline and air is too lean, rather than burning in a smooth flame front the mixture actually explodes, releasing all of its energy in an instantaneous flash. This explosion is the "ping" or "rattle" that is heard and it can actually blow a hole thru the top of a piston.

The sound will be coming from the engines cylinder/head, not from the exhaust.

My only concern with your new silencer is that many of them were designed before fuel injection became popular and when they were installed on a carburetored bike and simply changing the metering jets or adjusting the metering needle in the carburetor could return the fuel/air mixture to normal they were fine.
With a computer controlled fuel injection which cannot be adjusted without a factory "re-mapping" (that does not exist) I'm not so sure.

My advice is that you talk to a Royal Enfield dealers mechanic and after making the point that your RE is one of the new fuel injected models, ask him if you should be concerned. His answer may be, "Don't worry about it."

Please notice I am not suggesting that you talk to one of the many small repair shops who have fixed Royal Enfields in the past.
While they may be experts at knowing about the older carburated machines I suspect that very few of them know about the computer and fuel injection used on the new models.

Ride Safe.
Jim
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 08:14   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post

Why exactly was the right footpeg removed of changed? I haven't seen any footpeg change on any of the classic's in dehradun. Is this a new designed footpeg which has to be installed with the upswept exhaust?
navpreet318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 10:16   #52
Senior - BHPian

Nice looking bike!
whats the fuel efficiency that you are able to get. Ive got a Classic chrome coming home in a couple of months .
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 16:57   #53
BHPian

Thanks a ton ArizonJim, these are great learnings for me and I now understand what you meant by ping.

Just called the RE person at the Brand showroom and he said that we have just changed the muffler portion and not the whole silencer starting from the bend pipe right from the engine. There is a joint just behind the rider right footpeg and that is where it is changed. Also he mentioned that there are 7 ensors that are being used by the onboard computer and there is no sensor at the muffler / silencer (which I think is a correct statement as that is the missing link with the import model). He also mentioned that this is company recomendation for only Classic model.

All said and done, I will still keep a watchful eye (and ear also) on the proceedings and seek your sugestions the moment I see (or hear) any change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Sudipta,

Do you need to change the right rear foot rest too when you change the silencer? I did not understand that hence asking.
It came with the kit and I think it is the size of the holding nut thread which is extended. I didn't see any visible difference in the changed one. I will re-check and come back to you. Even I am not sure if this is a requirement or just a change as a part of the kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Why exactly was the right footpeg removed of changed? I haven't seen any footpeg change on any of the classic's in dehradun. Is this a new designed footpeg which has to be installed with the upswept exhaust?
It came as a part of the complete kit, may be there are minute changes but no visible difference. BTW, it is the rear (pillion) foot rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Nice looking bike!
whats the fuel efficiency that you are able to get. Ive got a Classic chrome coming home in a couple of months .
Congrats in advance for your new one. I am currently getting around 30 kmpl at city conditions.
Old 28th November 2011, 10:10   #54
BHPian

Got the gun sticker on the petrol tank and the RE sticker on the rear mudguard. The gold colour is looking pretty on the maroon pin stripe and has matched with the golden lining on the stripes. Now it really looks like a classic.
Old 30th November 2011, 11:16   #55
BHPian

Congrats Sudipta! Looking forwards to your posts about ownership experience

I booked one for myself (same color) as well last week @ HSR B'lore and the waiting period quoted by the dealer is 6-8 months. I am not that disappointed since it gives me good time to read though the forums and prepare myself on what to expect from the Bull. I had owned a Pulsar 150 but that was sold 6 years back and i havenít actively ridden a geared bike since then. More so, i have no experience with a Bullet. So all anxious and excited at the same time
I am planning have the following done once the Bull is delivered:

1. Replace the stock silencer with the upswept silencer.
2. Replace the stock tyres with the aftermarket ones for better grip and meaner looks.
3. Fit it with the aftermarket Head Lights since its mostly after 10:00 PM when I commute back from work.
4. Replace the stock number plates with Embossed high-security ones although I am not sure if they come for biles.
5. Scout for good quality and finish leather panniers (so they can be removed when I am not grocery shopping)

Any recommended places in Bílore to go scouting for the above? Also any special tips on cleaning and maintaining chrome?

I am yet to read all the Bullet related threads and not sure if suggestions on any/all of the above points have been answered elsewhere. So please bear with me if I am being repetitive.
hishetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 13:10   #56
BANNED

congrats buddy for the lovely chrome classic 500, my booking too is underway and expect to get delivery of my desert storm 500 in January, chrome with maroon looks cool.
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 15:06   #57
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Sudipta for acquring a classic.
Do invest in a worthy helmet and riding goggles (Halcyon Brand,if possible).
Happy Riding !!!!
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 16:04   #58
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Congratulations and best wishes, sudipta. My son has booked a Desert Storm last month and we are eagerly waiting for its arrival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hishetty View Post
4. Replace the stock number plates with Embossed high-security ones although I am not sure if they come for biles.
Any recommended places in B’lore to go scouting for the above?
Yes, embossed smart registration number plates are available for bikes in Bangalore at the following address:

RAJASHANKAR
N.K.IMPEX
NO.158 (NEW NO.15) MARUTHI NILAYA,
BEHIND MSIL, MES COLONY,
KONENA AGARAHARA, HAL POST,
BANGALORE - 560 017. INDIA
PH : 41258160 / 41258161
FAX: 41258162
MOBILE : 9341230174 / 9845016014

This place is located behind Rajeshwari theatre on old HAL Airport Road. Talk to Rajashankar. You have to personally go there, pay cash, wait for few minutes and get them. They don't do fitting. You have to do it yourself.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 6th December 2011 at 16:12.
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 18:32   #59
BHPian

Thanks for the info Ravi. I shall check this place out once i take delivery.
hishetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 23:06   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Congratulations and best wishes, sudipta. My son has booked a Desert Storm last month and we are eagerly waiting for its arrival.
Thanks Ravi for the good wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Congratulations Sudipta for acquring a classic.
Do invest in a worthy helmet and riding goggles (Halcyon Brand,if possible).
Happy Riding !!!!
Thanks hillram, I have already purchased a Vega Boolean in complete Chrome finish. I am waiting to put in the maroon pinstripe on it to match with the bike. I kind of liked this helmet and had to get it ordered directly from the company as the chrome is not readly available with the dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
congrats buddy for the lovely chrome classic 500, my booking too is underway and expect to get delivery of my desert storm 500 in January, chrome with maroon looks cool.
Thanks ruchirtnt, I can understand how painful it can be to wait ......

Quote:
Congrats Sudipta! Looking forwards to your posts about ownership experience
Thanks hishetty, time is the only constraint to write the same. As of now, it is 1300+ kms done and I am waiting to complete the 2000 mark to touch the 3 digit speeds.

Quote:
I booked one for myself (same color) as well last week @ HSR B'lore and the waiting period quoted by the dealer is 6-8 months. I am not that disappointed since it gives me good time to read though the forums and prepare myself on what to expect from the Bull. I had owned a Pulsar 150 but that was sold 6 years back and i havenít actively ridden a geared bike since then. More so, i have no experience with a Bullet. So all anxious and excited at the same time
I too have a Pulsar 180 (2002 model, first lot) which I still own but I get to ride it only once or twice a year as I left it at Kolkata. That is my ride when I visit on my vacations there.

Quote:
Also any special tips on cleaning and maintaining chrome?
Bullet's maintenance will be on the higher side compared to the other bikes given that it is ultra prone to rusting. I have a monthly schedule to spay rustlick all over the bike and use a special chain spray seperately. Also no water wash for my bike yet. I keep it clean as much I can on a regular basis and do a quick wipe before I take it out. With this, as of now, I don't see any rusts touchwood.
sudipta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote