Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2012, 18:29   #16
BHPian
 
jack7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 100
Thanked: Once
Default Re: TVS Apache 180 ABS - The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Took delivery of my RTR 180 ABS today .
Congrats on your new bike man. I'm actually thinking on getting the 180 ABS myself.

I guess there aren't any bike in this configuration with ABS. Excluding budget and ABS, was there another reason why you skipped KTM or CBR 150?

Did you get the white one too? Do post some pics.

Last edited by jack7 : 9th January 2012 at 18:30.
jack7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 20:22   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,534
Thanked: 984 Times
Default Re: TVS Apache 180 ABS - The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack7 View Post
.... was there another reason why you skipped KTM or CBR 150?
Did you get the white one too? Do post some pics.
CBR150 was just revealed at the auto expo and might take a few months to hit the market.

RTR180 ABS is available in only one color option - White
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 12:27   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default Re: TVS Apache 180 ABS - The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack7 View Post
Congrats on your new bike man. I'm actually thinking on getting the 180 ABS myself.

I guess there aren't any bike in this configuration with ABS. Excluding budget and ABS, was there another reason why you skipped KTM or CBR 150?

Did you get the white one too? Do post some pics.
Will do soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
CBR150 was just revealed at the auto expo and might take a few months to hit the market.

RTR180 ABS is available in only one color option - White

Thanks for the udpates. IIRC, 150 CBR will come by second half of 2012.

Odo @ 160kms.
  • yet to go into reserve and hence mileage is 61kmpl as of now!
  • got used to gear shifts ( missing neutral etc). Like n_aditya said, better boots should help; mines are soft Hush Puppies and hence now I give it a better push when I change gears
  • Horns isnt that musical
  • Lights are ok.
  • Switches etc are of good quality.
  • Since I used to ride an Avenger, the RTR's front tyre is like between my legs
  • pulls good in any gear and wow.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 17:03   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,742 Times
Default Re: TVS Apache 180 ABS - The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
yet to go into reserve and hence mileage is 61kmpl as of now!
Thats impressive for a 180cc mill. Where have you been riding and how?

I wonder what mileage i can expect with this in Blore city traffic. I dont exactly ride sedately so can i expect at least 45-50kmpl?
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 17:38   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,534
Thanked: 984 Times
Default Re: TVS Apache 180 ABS - The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I wonder what mileage i can expect with this in Blore city traffic. I dont exactly ride sedately so can i expect at least 45-50kmpl?
Have completed a tad over 6000kms on my bike. Am not sedate as well. Mine is the non-ABS version. Gives me a little above 42kmpl in city traffic. I dont ride in peak traffic hours and hence able to keep it in the 5-6k rpm band through most of my ride. On highways i am getting a consistent 45-47kmpl riding in the 90-110kmph range with rarely taking it beyond 110kmph. I think if you ride in the peak traffic hours of Bangalore, you can expect around 40kmpl for sure since you will not be able to rip it
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 17:04   #21
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default Re: TVS Apache 180 ABS - The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Thats impressive for a 180cc mill. Where have you been riding and how?

I wonder what mileage i can expect with this in Blore city traffic. I dont exactly ride sedately so can i expect at least 45-50kmpl?
sorry 51. It varies from 48-51kmpl. Did 560 till date and it goes in for service tomorrow. Learned about the service notifier light from Sammy's thread ( was wondering what it was).

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Have completed a tad over 6000kms on my bike. Am not sedate as well. Mine is the non-ABS version. Gives me a little above 42kmpl in city traffic. I dont ride in peak traffic hours and hence able to keep it in the 5-6k rpm band through most of my ride. On highways i am getting a consistent 45-47kmpl riding in the 90-110kmph range with rarely taking it beyond 110kmph. I think if you ride in the peak traffic hours of Bangalore, you can expect around 40kmpl for sure since you will not be able to rip it

So,can i start ripping after the first service?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 17:10   #22
BHPian
 
nitin.rai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 327
Thanked: 235 Times
Default

Congratulations Prateek! Wish you many safe miles on the bike.

You seem to have a much more mature head than your age. Spread the word on safety first!

Last edited by nitin.rai : 16th January 2012 at 17:30.
nitin.rai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 17:20   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
sammyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gurgaon/Doon
Posts: 1,738
Thanked: 338 Times
Default Re: TVS Apache 180 ABS - The White Devil

Hey JK congratulations on the RTR, was wondering where the thread was
Do make sure they change the oil and check all connections after they have finished the servicing. When I got my first servicing done the indicators had stopped working, some loose connection somewhere. Tyre pressure does affect the performance and stability a lot, so do ensure you have that checked too.

Ah and keep that RTR badge on the handle bar safe, thieves love it. I got to know the hard way.
About ripping, give it 1K kms (which for me was quite a few months :P )
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 13:29   #24
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default Re: TVS Apache 180 ABS - The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Hey JK congratulations on the RTR, was wondering where the thread was
Do make sure they change the oil and check all connections after they have finished the servicing. When I got my first servicing done the indicators had stopped working, some loose connection somewhere. Tyre pressure does affect the performance and stability a lot, so do ensure you have that checked too.

Ah and keep that RTR badge on the handle bar safe, thieves love it. I got to know the hard way.
About ripping, give it 1K kms (which for me was quite a few months :P )
Thanks. Your thread was helpful and about your 1k part! well! should be start about it here too :P

And so I am to so 50kmph till 1k?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 13:15   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default Re: TVS Apache 180 ABS - The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Thanks. Your thread was helpful and about your 1k part! well! should be start about it here too :P

And so I am to so 50kmph till 1k?
1 st service done at 590kms/ 7 days. Costed me 305Rs ( 31Rs for oil filter ).
Will be doing 4k on rpm thingy till 1000km. Hope I can complete 1000 by next week
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 13:36   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,534
Thanked: 984 Times
Default Re: TVS Apache 180 ABS - The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
So,can i start ripping after the first service?
Sorry for the late response JK. To add to what Sammy has already said, i followed the below method and it worked out well for me.

0-500kms -----> Restricted to 4k RPM strictly.

500-750kms -----> Once in a while took it beyond 5k RPM and other times maintained 4k RPM

750-1000kms -----> Started taking it to 5k RPM once a day and maintained 4k RPM at other times.

1000-2000kms -----> Took it to 6k RPM once a day and maintained above 5k RPM most of the times where possible.

2000kms and above ----> Did quite a few long rides and was not restricting the speed. Took it above 9k RPM a few times and maintained above 6k RPM.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 17:06   #27
BHPian
 
prateekm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai & BLR
Posts: 756
Thanked: 311 Times
Default Re: TVS Apache 180 ABS - The White Devil

Just completed the 5000 km mark in about 3 months.

TVS Apache 180 ABS - The White Devil-img20120119wa0001.jpg

A few pointers to add:
  • There is some sort of leak near the front suspensions. Looks like grease, gotta check it out in the next service.
  • Gives me a mileage of anywhere between 38 - 42, I genearlly shift at 7k RPM.
  • Will now switch to semi-synthetic oil in the next servicing. Will switch to synthetic oil before going on a roadtrip to Bangalore in may. Planning to get some performance upgrades from RaceConcepts.
  • The bike is idling at about 2200 RPM after a 30km ride on the highway, will tune it in the next servicing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Gonna use your thread for my ownership report too :P

Took delivery of my RTR 180 ABS today .
Congrats! Wish you many happy miles with the mean machine!
  • I have to get used to the diagnosis scan period before I can start it! Accidentally started twice today before it completed the scan.
    Umm, what's diagnosis scan? Waiting till the RPM needle going till the end and coming back at the rest position?
  • Gotta check front air pressure; feels bumpy sometimes
    I switched to nitrogen in the first month itself, it feels less bumpier now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
And so I am to so 50kmph till 1k?
I maintained the 4k RPM limit (I guess it goes till 54 in the 5th gear at 4k) for the first 500km and then occasionally took it to 6k RPM once a day (the urge is too tough to control)!

Last edited by prateekm : 19th January 2012 at 17:16.
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 17:29   #28
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default Re: TVS Apache 180 ABS - The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Just completed the 5000 km mark in about 3 months.



I maintained the 4k RPM limit (I guess it goes till 54 in the 5th gear at 4k) for the first 500km and then occasionally took it to 6k RPM once a day (the urge is too tough to control)!
Thats a lot of riding!

I should cross 750km today. I think you are right abt 4k rpm - 54-55kmph in 5th gear info.

I think I will do this mod of run in till 1000km and then go 1k up for each 100kms.

Yah, the needle thing

I also found out that there is a leak from silencer; a company designed leak. Any idea why they have done it so?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 17:59   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
djay99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 1,456
Thanked: 491 Times
Default Re: TVS Apache 180 ABS - The White Devil

Congrats for the bike.
I used to ride by brothers RTR160 (2008 model) and was always amazed with its quick acceleration. Engine does not feel stained when revved hard. This was not the case with my 2001 Hero honda CBZ.

Does ABS on this bike work similar to Honda CBR250? I mean a combination of brake pressure applied on both wheels?
Or does it have an individual brake pressure modulator stuff?
djay99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 18:10   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,534
Thanked: 984 Times
Default Re: TVS Apache 180 ABS - The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I also found out that there is a leak from silencer; a company designed leak. Any idea why they have done it so?
If you are referring to the hole below the silencer then it is to drain water that enters the silencer during washing etc and not go into the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Just completed the 5000 km mark in about 3 months.
  • The bike is idling at about 2200 RPM after a 30km ride on the highway, will tune it in the next servicing.
Wow that is some miles you have covered!! You can adjust the idling yourself when the engine is hot.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 TVS Apache 160 and 180 jkdas Motorbikes 6 21st February 2013 17:23
TVS Apache RTR 180 ABS launched! First Indian bike with ABS GTO Motorbikes 37 3rd June 2011 17:35
Pulsar 180 UG3and Apache 180-for a new bike? EDIT - Its the RTR 180 deepclutch Motorbikes 76 26th November 2009 00:34
TVS Apache RTR 180 smart2smart Motorbikes 36 9th May 2009 09:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks