Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 19th January 2012, 20:14   #31
BHPian

Default Re: TVS Apache 180 ABS - The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Took delivery of my RTR 180 ABS today .
So, finally it's the RTR you settled for! Congrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
0-500kms -----> Restricted to 4k RPM strictly.
500-750kms ----->......
750-1000kms ----->.....
1000-2000kms -----> .....
2000kms and above ---->
How did you manage to keep the tacho needle below 4k? I started ripping the bike from as early as 700-800 km on the odo. Not advisable (JK, you listening) but it's really very hard to stop your racing DNA from being unleashed! It's mad bike in its own way. I don't remember the last time I rode it below 4k rpm. I keep the rpm high always. In love with its exhaust note!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post

There is some sort of leak near the front suspensions. Looks like grease, gotta check it out in the next service.
Seems like the oil-seal just got busted. Take it to the service center and they will have it changed. No serious issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Does ABS on this bike work similar to Honda CBR250? I mean a combination of brake pressure applied on both wheels?
Or does it have an individual brake pressure modulator stuff?
I think the system working on the TVS is different from that of Honda's C-ABS.

AFAIK, in C-ABS when you apply the rear brake and if the computer detects a lock-up, one of the 3 calipers on the front brake is actuated automatically without rider's input. That's why it's called combined. Isn't it? Whereas in the RTR both of the brakes are independent of each other and work separately, I think. Correct me if I am wrong though!
Shivank is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 20:34   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post
How did you manage to keep the tacho needle below 4k?
Trust me, it was a painful 500kms and was waiting for it to get over. Now after around 6k on the odo, i am hardly below 5-6k . The exhaust note is definitely addictive and at high RPM's it just sounds racy!! No wonder they claim it as Racing DNA unleashed!!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 09:33   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, finally it's the RTR you settled for! Congrats.

How did you manage to keep the tacho needle below 4k? I started ripping the bike from as early as 700-800 km on the odo. Not advisable (JK, you listening) but it's really very hard to stop your racing DNA from being unleashed! It's mad bike in its own way. I don't remember the last time I rode it below 4k rpm. I keep the rpm high always. In love with its exhaust note!
@ 750 now. Might try to complete 1000kms this weekend
Will go up to 5k after that and change oil by 1500km from local garage as getting booked service is impossible without one months wait.

Quote:
Trust me, it was a painful 500kms and was waiting for it to get over. Now after around 6k on the odo, i am hardly below 5-6k . The exhaust note is definitely addictive and at high RPM's it just sounds racy!! No wonder they claim it as Racing DNA unleashed!!
+ 1, how did you manage abhinav to keep it at 4k rpm?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 12:12   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
how did you manage abhinav to keep it at 4k rpm?
From the past experience with RTR's i was aware that running in is very crucial. Screw up the running in and still everything might be rosy. But if it starts troubling then it is endless troubles. Made up nerves of steel and ensured i kept it at 4k RPM or below. Reaping the fruits of a good run-in later on was prime on my mind. Not regretting the decision so far.
Old 20th January 2012, 12:57   #35
BHPian

I am not sure of running in periods and stuff. From what I have heard these bikes are red lined at the factory itself before transit. Now that completely destroys the purpose of our meticulous running in doesn't it?

Also, I have both the Apache 150 as well as the RTR-fi. No strict running in observed and I am not facing any hardships because of that.
sai_ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 13:35   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
From what I have heard these bikes are red lined at the factory itself before transit. Now that completely destroys the purpose of our meticulous running in doesn't it?
Well may be. But then the manufacturer will not mention about running in in the manual if that is the case. Open the RTR manual and it clearly says for the first 1000kms dont exceed 50kmph. Of course not every one follows it which is a different thing altogether.

Quote:
Also, I have both the Apache 150 as well as the RTR-fi. No strict running in observed and I am not facing any hardships because of that.
Same as what i mentioned in my post below. You might not follow the running in and everything will still be rosy n fine. But if things start going wrong then it becomes hell!!
Old 20th January 2012, 14:01   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Well may be. But then the manufacturer will not mention about running in in the manual if that is the case. Open the RTR manual and it clearly says for the first 1000kms dont exceed 50kmph. Of course not every one follows it which is a different thing altogether]
But then It doesn't ask us to replace our oil within the first 100-300kms ? Yet we do it . Why ? because our little knowledge we have gathered here tells us that its the initial 300 kms where the engine sees a lot of metal in the oil and we go that extra mile to replace Engine oil + Oil Filter to make sure our bike gets the best.

I am not contradicting whats in the manual, but then I was just sharing an info I got from the factory guys. And probably there many more who don't know/care much about these bikes that it makes it mandatory on the manufacturers part to mention such stuff in their manuals. And its not like we follow our manuals to the T do we?

Quote:
Same as what i mentioned in my post below. You might not follow the running in and everything will still be rosy n fine. But if things start going wrong then it becomes hell!!
I have heard horror stories online, but never seen this horror stories amongst my friends who have apaches. so yeah.

Last edited by sai_ace : 20th January 2012 at 14:13. Reason: missed the quotes.
sai_ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 16:34   #38
BHPian

Quote:
@ 750 now. Might try to complete 1000kms this weekend
Will go up to 5k after that and change oil by 1500km from local garage as getting booked service is impossible without one months wait.
You can go above 5k. Shorts bursts to 100kmph wouldn't do any harm. Again, this is not advisable, but would be helpful to give your itchy palm an idea of what's coming in near future. ;-)

I guess, TVS service centers are still pouring in the 10W30 for the RTR, which is not the manufacturer recommended grade! I don't understand why they are doing this?

Quote:
From the past experience with RTR's i was aware that running in is very crucial. Screw up the running in and still everything might be rosy. But if it starts troubling then it is endless troubles. Made up nerves of steel and ensured i kept it at 4k RPM or below. Reaping the fruits of a good run-in later on was prime on my mind. Not regretting the decision so far.
Quote:
But then It doesn't ask us to replace our oil within the first 100-300kms ? Yet we do it . Why ? because our little knowledge we have gathered here tells us that its the initial 300 kms where the engine sees a lot of metal in the oil and we go that extra mile to replace Engine oil + Oil Filter to make sure our bike gets the best.
I am told by one of my lecturers, who I think is a bit of a mad, that manufacturers use these measures as a feedback. Like changing oil in first 300-400 km, they check the amount of metal scraped out of the cylinder etc. All these observation are further taken into consideration for improving the efficiency or engine characteristics for future purposes. I don't know how much water this statement holds and have my doubts still.

Coming to the running-in procedures. I believe in the adage-to each his own. As I have mentioned before, I started ripping my bike as soon as it crossed 700km on the odo. I wanted to run her in properly but couldn't control hitting the red-line. Since then and now, on each of the commutes the tacho-needle chases the redline. As a result of this hard-ripping, I could never touch the mileage figure of 40kmpl or above. It's always hovering somewhere around 32kmpl to 35kmpl. Thing is, even today after 25k-odd kilometers, it behaves in the same mad manner as it used to do in the beginning. The simple way to calculate this is to make use of the 0-60kmph race-timer installed in this bike. It still comes out at 3.5-4.0 or 4.4 at the worst. And, I have recently hit an all time top of 135kph on the speedo. Shows it hasn't loss many or any of the horses all those years. Hope this doesn't send a wrong message to JK though!
Shivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 17:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Coming to the running-in procedures. I believe in the adage-to each his own.
Well said!! Whatever works for the individual

Quote:
As I have mentioned before, I started ripping my bike as soon as it crossed 700km on the odo. ....And, I have recently hit an all time top of 135kph on the speedo. Shows it hasn't loss many or any of the horses all those years. Hope this doesn't send a wrong message to JK though!
You had to do this when JK was just about thinking of ripping his bike eh!! JK, take it like how you did on your Avy and Twister! That's the best!
Old 23rd January 2012, 08:59   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You can go above 5k. Shorts bursts to 100kmph wouldn't do any harm. Again, this is not advisable, but would be helpful to give your itchy palm an idea of what's coming in near future. ;-)

I guess, TVS service centers are still pouring in the 10W30 for the RTR, which is not the manufacturer recommended grade! I don't understand why they are doing this?

Hope this doesn't send a wrong message to JK though!
Quote:
Well said!! Whatever works for the individual

You had to do this when JK was just about thinking of ripping his bike eh!! JK, take it like how you did on your Avy and Twister! That's the best!
Nice try people I did go till 65 couple of times. Odo @ 960! Had to speed up a bit since doing 55 was boring and was needed during overtaking.

Now some pix.
Attached Thumbnails
TVS Apache 180 ABS - The White Devil-dsc_0831-custom-2.jpg  

TVS Apache 180 ABS - The White Devil-dsc_0867-custom-2.jpg  

TVS Apache 180 ABS - The White Devil-dsc_0872-custom.jpg  

Old 23rd January 2012, 13:25   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now some pix.
As always soooper pics!! Your clicking skills are amazing and just 3 pics don't do justice at all... Please post more as and when time permits!
Old 24th January 2012, 17:28   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As always soooper pics!! Your clicking skills are amazing and just 3 pics don't do justice at all... Please post more as and when time permits!
Thanks will see if I have more which I like.

Crossed 1200 kms. Had fun a bit and bro warned me that he will sell if off if I ever do so again
Old 31st January 2012, 12:53   #43
BHPian

I have encountered a minor hiccup, so need your advice on this.

Sometimes, the bike fails to start, no matter how much you press the electric start button or use the kick. Then, only after 50-60 kicks, does the bike start. This occurs randomly and not because of the cold weather. It first happened when I had gone to Mahableshwar on the bike, took me about 20 minutes of kicking to start it. On coming back, I took it to the mechanic and he said, "Spark plug se engine spark catch nahi kar raha hai (The spark plug is not delivering current from the ignition to the combustion chamber)". After he removed the carbon deposited on the spark plug, the problem vanished for about a month. Again, a couple of days back, I started encountering the same problem, so I took it to him to remove the carbon. But even after removing the carbon deposit, I am still having this problem. It occurs suddenly, sometimes I don't encounter it for days together.

What should I do? Is it expected to clean the spark plug every month? Sorry if I have used the wrong terms, I am a noob when it comes to the technicals of a machine.
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 14:12   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
...After he removed the carbon deposited on the spark plug, the problem vanished for about a month. Again, a couple of days back, I started encountering the same problem, so I took it to him to remove the carbon. But even after removing the carbon deposit, I am still having this problem.
Was the carbon deposit substantial? If yes, then your bike is running rich and carbon is deposited on the plug. What is the mileage you are getting?

Spark plug is checked for clearance at every service and cleaned if necessary. Which is every 2500kms. If the deposit was too much, then get your air-fuel ratio checked. This is again tricky and needs an experienced mech to set it right.

Try this - Get a new plug and run the bike to see if the issue occurs. If the issue persists, then it could be due to AFR issue. If not then it would be a plug issue.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 15:06   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Was the carbon deposit substantial? If yes, then your bike is running rich and carbon is deposited on the plug. What is the mileage you are getting?

Spark plug is checked for clearance at every service and cleaned if necessary. Which is every 2500kms. If the deposit was too much, then get your air-fuel ratio checked. This is again tricky and needs an experienced mech to set it right.

Try this - Get a new plug and run the bike to see if the issue occurs. If the issue persists, then it could be due to AFR issue. If not then it would be a plug issue.
Don't know about the deposit, he took it inside the workshop for cleaning. I'm getting a mileage of about 39-40, but that's because of the way I ride it! Will try it with another spark plug, thanks.
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote