Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 6th February 2012, 23:01   #46
BHPian

Default Re: TVS Apache 180 ABS - The White Devil

Completed my 4th free servicing at ~6,000 kms. The bike had quite a few minor niggles which was fixed today.

1) The bike didn't start up a few times (covered in my last post). They cleaned the spark plug again and also told me that the water level in battery was very low, and hence I was having this problem.

2) The rear brake light was not working on pressing the foot break. It was solved.

3) The switch for turning on the headlights was loose and was replaced.

4) The oil seal was busted and was fixed.

5) The reflector at the end of the mudguard had come off once in the parking lot. That was fixed up too.

The total cost of the servicing was Rs. 451/- which included oil change too. I'm going to tell them not to change the oil in the next servicing and might change to semi-synthetic or synthetic at 8k kms.

Last edited by prateekm : 6th February 2012 at 23:17.
prateekm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 12:38   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Completed my 4th free servicing at ~6,000 kms. The bike had quite a few minor niggles which was fixed today.
I'm going to tell them not to change the oil in the next servicing and might change to semi-synthetic or synthetic at 8k kms.
Good to know that the niggles were resolved. Time to monitor for a while and check if the starting troubles are indeed solved.

With regards to oil, i never went with the TVS oil right from first service. The only time i used the TVS oil was when i bought it brand new for the first 500kms. After that i have always provided my own oil. For the first 5000kms i was using Motul 20W40 mineral oil. At 5000kms service, i switched to OWS 10W40 Fully synthetic oil. The reason i avoid TVS oil is because it 10W30 which wears out very fast if you ride hard.

Edit: Was it 4th Free service or 3rd? IIRC, i am due for 4th free service which is at 8500-9000kms.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 13:29   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Good to know that the niggles were resolved. Time to monitor for a while and check if the starting troubles are indeed solved.

With regards to oil, i never went with the TVS oil right from first service. The only time i used the TVS oil was when i bought it brand new for the first 500kms. After that i have always provided my own oil. For the first 5000kms i was using Motul 20W40 mineral oil. At 5000kms service, i switched to OWS 10W40 Fully synthetic oil. The reason i avoid TVS oil is because it 10W30 which wears out very fast if you ride hard.

Edit: Was it 4th Free service or 3rd? IIRC, i am due for 4th free service which is at 8500-9000kms.
Yes, it was the 3rd free servicing, I got confused. Regarding the oil, I read on xBhp that there were a few knocking issues when using fully synthetic oil. Are you facing any such issues?

Another query is regarding the tyres. The ABS version gets fatter tyres so I'm confused whether to go for better tyres during the rainy season or keep the same ones if they are adequate?

A minor niggle that could not be sorted out is that they set the RPM to 1.2k. But after riding continously for 40-50 kms, the RPM goes back to 2.5k when on neutral for a minute or two before dropping down to 1.5k. Is the engine overheating or the same is common everywhere?
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 13:42   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it was the 3rd free servicing, I got confused. Regarding the oil, I read on xBhp that there were a few knocking issues when using fully synthetic oil. Are you facing any such issues?
Nothing so far. Have run the bike for 3000kms after the oil change. The initial 2500kms was pure bliss. No vibrations at all even in the notorious 5k RPM range and the bike was really free revving. For the last 200-300kms it has become a bit harsh but nothing compared to what it was when running mineral. So all seems good so far.

Quote:
Another query is regarding the tyres. The ABS version gets fatter tyres so I'm confused whether to go for better tyres during the rainy season or keep the same ones if they are adequate?
The tyre size is the same as regular RTR180 which is 110/80-17 tubeless (confirmed on the TVS website). I was forced to change the rear tyre at 7000kms due to a wide puncture which was leaking air even after fixing. I went with Pirelli MT75 110/80-17. I have run it for 600kms and it is a sea of difference on gravel, sand and dry roads. Not had a chance to try it in wet. The twitch and nervousness when cornering is not there and bike feels planted and sure footed. If you are not feeling any issues in the grip of the rear tyre, you can retain them.

Quote:
A minor niggle that could not be sorted out is that they set the RPM to 1.2k. But after riding continously for 40-50 kms, the RPM goes back to 2.5k when on neutral for a minute or two before dropping down to 1.5k. Is the engine overheating or the same is common everywhere?
This used to happen in my bike too. I would lower the RPM myself using the screw and not much to worry about. If left as is, i noticed the engine feeling over heated and rough with more vibes. Once reduced, it would calm down with lesser vibes and not so rough noise. I now strictly instruct them to not meddle with the RPM and leave it as it is.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 7th February 2012 at 13:44.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 12:20   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Whats the TVS recommended oil spec? I thought I will change oil @ 1500 but seems I am almost @ 1800 No point changing now as I have 2nd service at 2500/3000kms right?

And what oil brand do you recommend?

Quote:

The tyre size is the same as regular RTR180 which is 110/80-17 tubeless (confirmed on the TVS website). I was forced to change the rear tyre at 7000kms due to a wide puncture which was leaking air even after fixing. I went with Pirelli MT75 110/80-17. I have run it for 600kms and it is a sea of difference on gravel, sand and dry roads. Not had a chance to try it in wet. The twitch and nervousness when cornering is not there and bike feels planted and sure footed. If you are not feeling any issues in the grip of the rear tyre, you can retain them.
Did I ask you before? How much did it cost?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 12:26   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Whats the TVS recommended oil spec? I thought I will change oil @ 1500 but seems I am almost @ 1800 No point changing now as I have 2nd service at 2500/3000kms right?
And what oil brand do you recommend?
TVS uses 10W30 Semi Synthetic oil which is just too thin for the RTR160/180. When using the RTR160, i have tried various brands, semi synth, fully synth, mineral and then stuck to mineral oil. I used to use Motul Mineral 20W40 on the RTR160 and change it every 2000kms.

For the 180, i was on the Motul Mineral 20W40. Switched to Fully Synth OWS 10W40. Lasted me 3k kms and bike was very smooth. But drain interval of 3k will prove costly on the pocket! Will be trying out Shell 20W50 tomorrow. Will keep the thread updated. Until then you can stick to Motul Mineral 20W40 till you complete at least 5000kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Did I ask you before? How much did it cost?
The tyre including the fitting cost 3k.
Old 8th February 2012, 12:29   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

I personally would avoid synthetic oils for products from our desi manufacturers. Especially if the engine in question is an air-cooled one. I have experienced oil loss within ~1500kms. And few fellow Motorcyclists have echoed the same thought elsewhere as well.

Find a good branded oil from the grade specified and stick with. At the max, a semi-synthetic would do. I always recommend Valvoline 4T Premium for Pulsar range and whoever has used, has stuck with it. Honda's run smoother on Power 1. Don't try too many oils though. Replacing filters & flushing is a mess as well. Stick with the one your bike likes (You shall know in the way it behaves) :-)
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 13:05   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I personally would avoid synthetic oils for products from our desi manufacturers. Especially if the engine in question is an air-cooled one. I have experienced oil loss within ~1500kms. And few fellow Motorcyclists have echoed the same thought elsewhere as well.
Thanks Sheel, when checked today, i too noticed a slight drop in the oil level but nothing alarming as such. But what you say is right. Guess Mineral oil would be best.

Quote:
Stick with the one your bike likes (You shall know in the way it behaves) :-)
Spot on! RTR160 was very happy with Motul Mineral 20W40. But the 180 is wearing out the oil faster. May be it is generating a little more heat when riding hard. Thinking of trying 20Wor 15W50 oil. Any recommendations for RTR?
Old 8th February 2012, 13:10   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Spot on! RTR160 was very happy with Motul Mineral 20W40. But the 180 is wearing out the oil faster. May be it is generating a little more heat when riding hard. Thinking of trying 20Wor 15W50 oil. Any recommendations for RTR?
No 20W50 or 15W50 mineral oil with Motul? Try agip or Mobil1 or Petronas. I haven't ridden an RTR from an owner's perspective and hence can't comment. If all fails, give the Valvoline 4T premium a shot
Old 8th February 2012, 13:17   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No 20W50 or 15W50 mineral oil with Motul? Try agip or Mobil1 or Petronas.... If all fails, give the Valvoline 4T premium a shot
No mineral in that grade from Motul. Will give the others a shot. So the Valvoline 4T is xW50?
Old 8th February 2012, 14:18   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No mineral in that grade from Motul. Will give the others a shot. So the Valvoline 4T is xW50?
Yes, it is 20W50 semi synthetic.

Sorry for the delayed response, my net connection had gone kaput
Old 8th February 2012, 22:19   #57
BHPian

Quote:

For the 180, i was on the Motul Mineral 20W40. Switched to Fully Synth OWS 10W40. Lasted me 3k kms and bike was very smooth. But drain interval of 3k will prove costly on the pocket! Will be trying out Shell 20W50 tomorrow. Will keep the thread updated. Until then you can stick to Motul Mineral 20W40 till you complete at least 5000kms.
My bike is running on the Shell AX7 10W40 oil. It's much better than the TVS TruCrap! The bike revs freely and the gear-changes have improved. I haven't tried the Motul as yet. Heard good things about it, but then also heard of it disappearing from crank-case real quick.

I remember the last time when I sent my bike for service, it drained out around 920ml of oil on the vessel, that was after about 2.7-3k of running. It was surprising to see this much quantity left as when I used to check the oil level, prior to the aforesaid service, it was always on the bottom-most level. This made my personal roadside mechanic think that there's no oil-left. I still wonder at times and often confused as to how's it possible?

Quote:
The tyre including the fitting cost 3k.
I think it's a bit on the higher side. My friend got the same tire for his bike for 2.1k. When did you buy that tire?

Quote:
I have read the same thing on Xbhp and heard this from many experts. Some even say that a fully synthetic oil leads to clutch-slip in our desi-bikes. I have, therefore, kept my bike away from FS oil till now. Would like to know the reason behind though?
Shivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 12:25   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post
My bike is running on the Shell AX7 10W40 oil. It's much better than the TVS TruCrap!
Any oil is better than the TVS oil!! They use 10W30 which is a very low summer rating for the RTR series specially when riding hard as they produce lot of heat.

Quote:
I haven't tried the Motul as yet. Heard good things about it, but then also heard of it disappearing from crank-case real quick.
Well I am using the Motul Mineral 20W40. It is fine and have not observed any loss till now with the Motul Mineral.

Quote:
I think it's a bit on the higher side. My friend got the same tire for his bike for 2.1k. When did you buy that tire?
Got it last week Friday. There was no other option as none of the tyre dealers have stock of the RTR180 rear tyre size in any brand apart from TVS. My tyre was leaking air and i had a long trip over the weekend. So had to buy it. The tyre dealer also mentioned that the prices have increased a month or so ago. Not sure how far it is true.
Old 9th February 2012, 22:30   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have read the same thing on Xbhp and heard this from many experts. Some even say that a fully synthetic oil leads to clutch-slip in our desi-bikes. I have, therefore, kept my bike away from FS oil till now. Would like to know the reason behind though?
I believe liquid cooled, 4 valves DOHC, fuel injected engines are more suitable for FS oils.

Clutch slippage also occurs if an oil meant for dry clutch (basically Car oil) is used in Motorcycle which has a wet clutch.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 22:39   #60
BHPian

I can get Motul synthetic oils for a pretty cheap price as compared to the MRP. The person currently has Motul 300 V Factory Line 4T 15W50 in stock, should I get it? I'd like to try the synthetic oil once just to compare the difference.
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote