Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 21st October 2011, 15:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default New Outlet for my experiments - World's 1st CBR250R Standalone ECU on the way!

Since the Honda City will now be taking the role of a proper racecar which will mean a lot of downtime, I felt like I now needed to buy a second vehicle to use for going around when my car was opened up. Had been riding a few friends' bikes for the past year and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. However, most of what is on the streets is way too small or underpowered and I didn't want to buy something just for the sake of it. So a friend who had booked his 250R in Jan pestered me to go to a nearby showroom and take a test ride.

The test ride was taken at Om Sai Honda on the 16th of April. The bike being used didn't seem to be in the best of mechanical condition, so I went home and looked around for information on the bike from other places. Turns out the motor is pretty modern and has some nice tech in it. Booked it on the same day. The long wait ensued. I was promised a delivery in 6 months, which was pretty normal for the bike, so I didn't think about it.

Fast forward to September and I had now started seeing quite a few of these bikes on the road. Called up my dealer who told me I'd have to wait for another month. Fine. Called back multiple times in the first week of October. Got the same reply again. Just to satisfy my curiousity, I PM'd mantrig on the forum and asked him where he got his bike from. He tried to help me out by talking to the Malad dealership folks. Sadly, I doubt they cared much about me since they seem to have a big line of people anyways. Went to Venetian Honda who promised me a delivery in 10 days flat if I had the money ready. Paid 66k on the same day and went to Om Sai to and got my booking cancelled. Did the rest of the paperwork yesterday and the rest of the payment and picked up a brand new Black STD CBR250R. It still hasn't been registered so my trips are limited to a few kms around where I live.

Apologies if my first observations might be obvious to a few of you here; this is my first bike.

I've taken it upto 7000 RPM since getting the bike yesterday. I feel that the engine is smooth enough to not need babying around for very long. There is hardly any torque under 3000 RPM, so I like to keep it between 3000 to 6500 mostly, with a few spirited bursts to have fun. The engine is pretty lively for being a single cylinder. I was genuinely surprised to actually feel the amount of torque it has, tiny as it may be for serious bikers.

The seat seems fine to me, which is something others don't agree with. So I'll just attribute it to my inexperience with other bikes which supposedly have better seats.

It looks good, enough to attract a few eyeballs from wherever I pass. The sad thing is that it also attracts a subsection of bikers that are absolute morons and want to have a race. Stupid as it may sound. Good thing is, I'm usually having too much fun with the bike to give more than a passing glance at them.

I've still not broken in the bike completely, so riding around with a bit of caution. Will need to ride it with anger to see how much grip it has. I had a sudden braking moment when riding on a road made of those paver blocks. The front locked but it didn't make the bike nervous, so that's another point in favour.

As for future plans, I already have plans of putting on a standalone ECU and speccing out the OEM cams and either getting a regrind or a fresh billet grind. Just waiting for the first service to get done in a month and then start working on the internals. Perhaps a small bump in the compression will do no harm either.

Will take pics when my cam's batteries are charged.

Looking forward to riding with you guys. Cheers.
pranavt is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 15:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: New Outlet for my experiments - World's 1st CBR250R Standalone ECU on the way!

A car nut ,posting about bike , good to see . .Congrats for the bike . let the mods begin . Ride safe .
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 21:53   #3
BHPian

Default re: New Outlet for my experiments - World's 1st CBR250R Standalone ECU on the way!

You bought it just because its a Honda, aint it Would compliment your souped up City well. Just kidding. Congrats on the new bike, thats a fine bike to start off with. Would be eagerly waiting for the mods and the results. Ride safe and have fun mate.
Motormania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 22:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. Mods should begin in a month. Board for the ECU already on the way and OE cams already with a cam grinding shop to be specced out.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 02:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
You bought it just because its a Honda, aint it
I would hope not lol. I found the tech modern enough and the price reasonable enough. Then again, the 'H' logo probably tilted the balance towards this bike

Quote:
Would compliment your souped up City well. Just kidding. Congrats on the new bike, thats a fine bike to start off with. Would be eagerly waiting for the mods and the results. Ride safe and have fun mate.
Haha, the garage does look a lot nicer now. Like I said, just waiting for the first service to get over. That should bring out niggles, if there are any. I'll post pics tomorrow.
Old 22nd October 2011, 11:49   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

This stock CBR might out-drag your modded City till 100kmph

Congratulations
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 19:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks

Hopefully not for long though.
Old 22nd October 2011, 20:57   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
...OE cams already with a cam grinding shop to be specced out.
Play around with the cam timing. Being a DOHC, should be really simple to do, and almost no cost.

If you can bring in a 'coming on the cam' feel, this bike should be more fun. (Though less rideable, may be even slower roll ons!)

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 22:53   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Hopefully not for long though.
BTW, are you prepping your City for drag runs or track usage? (I saw the term race-car)

A proper drag Car will outrun it. What timings do you expect for the 0-100 after the mods are done?
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 23:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Play around with the cam timing. Being a DOHC, should be really simple to do, and almost no cost.

If you can bring in a 'coming on the cam' feel, this bike should be more fun. (Though less rideable, may be even slower roll ons!)

Regards
Sutripta
Word is, the stock pulleys are adjustable. If so, it should be useful to an extent even to shift around the powerband with the stock cam. I'll check out the stock ECU too. Not expecting much, but the ignition setup should be interesting to see. Hope I don't need to buy seperate cam/crank sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
BTW, are you prepping your City for drag runs or track usage? (I saw the term race-car)

A proper drag Car will outrun it. What timings do you expect for the 0-100 after the mods are done?
Track usage mainly, plus whenever drags are held in Mumbai. Plan is to enter the Indian Touring Cars Championship in the Super Saloons class in 2013 if everything works out. With a track supposedly opening up next to Mumbai too, it should turn out to be a fun build. If the track is ready before 2013, it'll be nice to test the car in a proper environment. Do not have anything in mind yet for the 0-100 sprint; there are way too many variables which are going to be introduced with the build.
Old 22nd October 2011, 23:24   #11
Team-BHP Support

So a person who generally drives the wheels off his Honda has taken to biking! And I'm not surprised that the two-wheeler had to be Honda's new 250. In all honesty, I'm not a two-wheeler kind-of-guy, but the CRB makes me go a little weak-in-the-knees when I catch it being ridden around the streets of Bangalore. It's a phenomenal looking bike, and goes like stink too! A great bike at a great price-point.

Somebody told me that no bike will sell in India if it's priced above 1.5 lakhs. I wouldn't agree with him anymore.

Also, I thin the black is a great choice of colour for your CBR. I'm guessing it's not all black and it has some silver accents here and there?

Congratulations, by the way!

Quote:
I've still not broken in the bike completely, so riding around with a bit of caution. Will need to ride it with anger to see how much grip it has. I had a sudden braking moment when riding on a road made of those paver blocks. The front locked but it didn't make the bike nervous, so that's another point in favour.
So going by this, I'd say it's the non-ABS variant that you've opted for. Just like a true enthusiast!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd October 2011 at 23:25.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 23:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. Not all black. Honda seems to have done some cost-cutting by having a single colour for some of the fairing bits. That should be the first change.

Non-ABS yes. I understand when someone states the benefits of ABS. But since I wanted to open up the bike from the moment I decided about buying it, I figured that the ABS version should have a seperate set of electricals to go with the extra hardware. I didn't want to mess around with that honestly. Best to know that something isn't there in the first place than to be doing 3 digit speeds and getting the shock of your life when something you expect to work doesn't.
Old 3rd November 2011, 02:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

First standalone ECU in the World for a Honda CBR250R

It's coming.

Name:  250r_ecu.jpg
Views: 3547
Size:  113.0 KB
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:08   #14
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: New Outlet for my experiments - World's 1st CBR250R Standalone ECU on the way!

This should be a fun thread!

How come you chose to buy new, rather than select from the many barely-used examples on sale? (Especially given the fact that you're going to mod it anyway).

Quote:
Will need to ride it with anger to see how much grip it has.
Just a reminder : This isn't a car!

Hope you've got some good riding gear.

cya
R
Rehaan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: New Outlet for my experiments - World's 1st CBR250R Standalone ECU on the way!

The bike had been booked in April. And I wanted to run the bike in myself.

Yeah, I currently have a helmet and a pair of gloves. The rest is on the way. The testing on the bike will be done by someone who is a much better rider than me.