Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 21st October 2011, 18:27   #1
BHPian

Default Suzuki Access Woes

Hi all,

This is my experience about Suzuki's Access scooter.

My father was looking for a runabout ... we had two choices - Honda Activa and Suzuki Access.

This was back in Late 2007 and the Access was just launched. Assuming I will be getting a CKD scooter (saw some "Made in Japan" tags at the showroom) and expecting shorter delivery time, booked the Access.

From the beginning, there were issues. Payment was made (full amount) by cheque and delivery was assured in 15 days.

It took nearly 3 months (Feb 4th 2008) and lousy service by Akshay Suzuki Malad, for me to get the scooter.

During PDI, I noticed that the under seat storage area had loads of scratches on the black finishing... Looked like the assy was a demo/display piece.

After bickering, was finally replaced.

The Scooter was hadly being used and in less than 3000 kms, the front fork oil seal busted. The scooter was out of warranty then.

Also during the monsoon of 2008, the header pipe of the exhaust system, though painted black at the factory, was already rusting.

At the workshop, the service guys refused to entertain my request that the bike has only run < 3000 km.

Spoke with the Service manager Mumbai and he authorised them to get a free repair done ....

Next service, Suzuki's rep was at the service center ... I informed him about the header pipe corrosion and that the fact that the powder coating quality on it should be better - His response was "It's not powder coat, it's paint"

Next, the choke cable given in ...

At the service center, they used an engine flush solvent (Don't think authorised by Suzuki). The scoot was not used for a few weeks and the piston rings just jammed shut (could not feel compression with kick starter OR button start)

A local Mech then opened the plug, put in a little petrol and walla!! She started.

Few days later the kick starter was not returning to it's normal position and the indicators and push start were not functioning.Went to the service center and was informed that the indicator switch had gone bad.

They had no replacements and the mech told me "I will arrange for something"
I asked, "If u cannot fix it, and u do not have a replacement, how will u fix it? Get it from someone else's scoot?"

That shut him up and he opened up the button, cleaned the grime and it was fixed. This brings up 2 issues:

1. Lying to a customer that a specific component is bad, when it can easily be fixed

2. If he can put another scoot's parts in mine, can't he steal my parts too? (the floor mat was missing during the last service, and was only "found" after a long search)

I got a "Clutch Overhaul" for Rs 165. Fixed the kick start issue.

15 days later found that the idling rpm was WAY above normal, and the FE was bad.

Sent scoot for service after installing a fresh battery. Service center called up to say that the Air/Fuel screw had broken and was stuck in the carb. No way to remove it and so he was calling to replace the carb (Rs 2000)

Went to the service center and was informed that the screw broke either due to "bad petrol" (Funny reason!!)
OR coz some one had fiddled with the carb.

Impossible sez me coz Apart from the service center, no one had touched the carb.

Took the carb from them, sprayed some WD40 on the broken part, and pumped in some compressed air .... Out came the screw!!!

Gave it back to the service center, got the scooter back and now it is wobbling ... service center guys say that the fork cone set is bad. Me thinks the front wheel bearing is bad....

The bike has run only 11800 km, still has the plastic coating on the lamps and is parked in a stilt area!!!

So to summarise:

- Less than 6 months, Header pipe corroded
- In < 3000 km Fork oil seals bust
- In < 5000 km Choke cable bust
- In < 8000 km Piston rings gummed up
- In < 9000 km Kick starter ratchet jammed, Indicator switch bad
- In < 12000 Km, Fork cone set busted and corrosion on the wheels!!

The scoot is completely unused during monsoons.

NEVER buy a suzuki access NEVER
alok_balsekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 19:37   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Suzuki Access Woes

Ouch !!! That's a sad experience with Suzuki.

When we bought our Pep+ last year, the Access was on my mind and would have bought it, but for the fact that the nearest dealership was close to 50kms away.

BTW, what FE do you get with the bike ?
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 20:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Ouch !!! That's a sad experience with Suzuki.

When we bought our Pep+ last year, the Access was on my mind and would have bought it, but for the fact that the nearest dealership was close to 50kms away.

BTW, what FE do you get with the bike ?
Without a reserve /on / off petcock ... it is difficult to say exactly ... but my guess is 35kpl
alok_balsekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 21:22   #4
BHPian

My brother had one a year ago. Was very quick indeed for a scooter. He got an average of 30 kmpl. My apache averaged better, even being very easy on it still could not get better. He had issues with the forget getting twisted when dropped into potholes. Finally gave up and he got the Suzuki GS 150. Much better FE than the scooter
HOTROD is offline   Reply With Quote