Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 16th December 2012, 08:34   #16
BHPian

Default Re: About Road King's fuel cap, brakes and dynamo

After a 60km journey at constant > 70kmph speeds, I stopped for a small check up of the bike. I noticed that the bolt that holds the tank and the body(under seat) together was loose and it came away when I pulled it. I was worried and called my mech, who said that it's no problem because the tank is fastened to the body at another place so continue riding.

I can't stop thinking about the possibility of other nuts and bolts that may have became loose from the vibrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Direct fit. Just throw out the old one, install the new one, and ride off. Make sure you've got your regulator in place, or you may blow a halogen for nothing
Is it possible to have only the high beam connected directly to the battery ? The dynamo isn't really capable of delivering a powerful flash.
vinu_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 21:19   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I can't stop thinking about the possibility of other nuts and bolts that may have became loose from the vibrations.
Just do a check of all nuts & bolts whenever the bike is washed, that should keep things in check.Use spring washers wherever possible.

Quote:
Is it possible to have only the high beam connected directly to the battery ? The dynamo isn't really capable of delivering a powerful flash.
Probably, I'm not too sure. Will check and post here. Are you using a halogen? The specified rating is 35/35W, which means both high and low beam filaments put out only 35W each anyway. One is just at a higher level from the road
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 21:36   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Just do a check of all nuts & bolts whenever the bike is washed, that should keep things in check.Use spring washers wherever possible.
I'm sure this is a one off because this did not happen on the longer journeys that I have made on it. It was held together without a spring washer and like you have rightly recommended, that should prevent it from happening again.

Quote:
Probably, I'm not too sure. Will check and post here. Are you using a halogen? The specified rating is 35/35W, which means both high and low beam filaments put out only 35W each anyway. One is just at a higher level from the road
No. I'm still using the 2 pin fat bulb. I'm quite happy with the brightness, so haven't bothered.
Old 21st January 2013, 11:33   #19
BHPian

I had a very unpleasant experience with the RK yesterday. I stood on the foot rest(left) while going over a pothole and it broke. Fortunate for me, the spring that holds the centre stand in place broke my fall and I was able to regain balance.

I know that they aren't meant to be stood on, but I'm a little shook up. I intend to have it welded back next weekend. Any pointers would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
About Road King's fuel cap, brakes and dynamo-footrest.jpg  

Old 21st January 2013, 12:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I had a very unpleasant experience with the RK yesterday. I stood on the foot rest(left) while going over a pothole and it broke.
Ah, standard and quite expected failure! This happens as the kicker strikes the footrest whenever used. Glaring design flaw. My Jawa footrest fell off before it even left the workshop after the restoration! Not a biggie. Just weld it back really well, and it will hold. I've got mine re-welded with a bracing plate. Just make sure that the footrest is welded at the exact same height as the other. Will cause nasty lower-back problems otherwise. Ask me, I know.

Cheers,
Rahul

PS: Loving the Neorub rubber!

Last edited by voodoochild : 21st January 2013 at 12:20.
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 12:29   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Ah, standard and quite expected failure! This happens as the kicker strikes the footrest whenever used. Glaring design flaw. My Jawa footrest fell off before it even left the workshop after the restoration! Not a biggie. Just weld it back really well, and it will hold. I've got mine re-welded with a bracing plate. Just make sure that the footrest is welded at the exact same height as the other. Will cause nasty lower-back problems otherwise. Ask me, I know.

Cheers,
Rahul

PS: Loving the Neorub rubber!
Seems like welding it back is not really the solution here, especially if the kicker is the culprit. Is it possible to restrict the kicker from coming in contact with the foot rest; perhaps a rubber piece in between them. It'll probably melt.

I should thank you for mentioning about keeping the foot rests level. I do experience discomfort while riding it.

Neorub rubber - is that good ?
Old 21st January 2013, 13:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Seems like welding it back is not really the solution here, especially if the kicker is the culprit. Is it possible to restrict the kicker from coming in contact with the foot rest; perhaps a rubber piece in between them. It'll probably melt.
Kicker is the culprit, yes. Rubber will damp these shocks. Actually it has no reason to melt. The surrounding parts (silencer and crankcase cover) dont really get too hot. It can periodically crack and fall off if its quality isn't good.
The question will be how to attach rubber to metal. See if you can weld a small nipple on the footrest, and press-fit a thick rubber bushing onto it. Look at the arrangement on the Pulsar for reference.

Quote:
I should thank you for mentioning about keeping the foot rests level. I do experience discomfort while riding it.
Why you're most welcome!

Quote:
Neorub rubber - is that good ?
Neorub was the OEM supplier. Much better stuff than Senior et al.

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote