Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2011, 13:33   #1
BHPian

Default Which bike - Yamaha SZR or Honda Unicorn Dazzler?

i'm in ultimate dilema of deciding to buy a new bike.

my old workhorse(pulser150 1st gen) is waiting for the retirement. it is almost 5 years(it is 3 years old when i bought it) it served me well.it is time for me switch to a new bike because riding it become a huge problem because of the issues with almost all the parts(camshaft, electricals, etc..etc..).

Now coming to buy a new vehicle, i have decided to buy one of the below
1. Yamaha SZ-R -- for it's brand name and power(never owned a yamaha)
2. Honda Unicorn for Dazzler -- mostly for it's mileage claimed(have a great doubt about the height of the bike.. i'm 6ft tall)

reason being decided go for one of these two vehicle is purely because of Viatmin M.

i need inputs regading these two vehicles mainly these points mentioned below
1. Mileage( not need to explain why ..... should have born in oil producing countries)
2. Reliability
3. Electricals & Battery (both vehicles doent have Kick Start)
4. Maintainence cost
tht'snotME is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9th November 2011, 18:21   #2
BHPian

Default Re: which bike(Yamaha SZR or Honda Unicorn Dazzler)?

Both very good bikes in their own might..the Dazzler is considerably more exp than the SZ but it also offers more kit like the very cool digi speedo and teh rear disc brakes. The engine is slightly different than the unicorn which makes it a better performer than its sibling. The SZ looks hot and has the same engine as the FZ, and thanks to the reduced weight performance is brilliant. Id rate it as a more sharper handler than the Dazzler which is more neutral of the two. actually a pretty close call, test ride both and take a call.
balenopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 22:09   #3
BHPian

From whatever reviews i had read,Yamaha SZ-R is giving very low mileage, less than 45km/ltr where as Dazzler despite being more powerful gives more than 50km/ltr.
Both are very comfortable to ride.
rock18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 22:45   #4
BHPian

The problem here is you need an opinion of bikes which are pricewise 15k apart.

On the outset, I'd suggest the CB Dazzler.
If you can digest the Headlamp shape, you've a winner.
Honda proven engine. Comes with bomb proof reliability that made the Unicorn so reliable. Yamaha has known issues with mileage, while Honda engines are renowned for amazing mileage.

So for point 1 and point 2, my vote goes to Honda CB Dazzler,

Electricals and Battery: All new bikes have a maintenance free battery. So there's no real need to worry about the battery giving up on you on either the SZ-R or the CB Dazzler for the next 4-5 years.
Electricals, I can comment on the CB Dazzler because the HH Hunk borrows a lot of parts from the Honda stable. From 7800km of experience, my opinion is a positive one on the electricals and the battery. No issues whatsoever.

Maintenance: Something you need to consider. Yamaha spares are expensive. Last time I checked, Chain Sprocket kit for FZ is >1000 while the same for the Hunk is around 800. So your looking at cheaper spares for the Honda.

But with the good comes the bad,
Honda is known for cheap quality plastics which has carried onto the CBR250 as well.
And availability of spares is a concern too. More so for new bikes. But the CB Dazzler is pretty old, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Lastly is the waiting time, Honda has ridiculous waiting periods on its bikes. So if you can manage that, the Honda CB Dazzler it should be.

On the whole, if you believe the above things justify the 15k higher price tag, go for the Dazzler. You get an average handler with a proven engine and more power for those odd Highway rides. Weigh in your requirements of the bike.

Forget everything, the best way for you is to Test Ride both bikes and see which bike you connect with. I rode the FZ and the Hunk and instantly connected with the Hunk. Hence my decision.
Hope I helped.
All the best!

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 9th November 2011 at 22:48.
ashwin.terminat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 06:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Out of the two, get the Dazzler. SZ-R, though a great commuter bike with one of the most comfortable pillion position has poor FE and maintenance is on a higher side compared to Dazzler.
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 10:56   #6
BHPian

Default Re: Which bike - Yamaha SZR or Honda Unicorn Dazzler?

I own a Honda Unicorn for the past three years and very much satisfied with its performance and mileage (50 kmpl). Since the same engine is used in Dazzler, with a very small power difference (less than 1 bhp), assume the mileage will be very much similar around 50 kmpl. Some of them above told about plastic quality not being good. Based on my personal experience, I can say that there is no issues with plastic quality and all. All the switches are functioning properly in mine and they haven't got broken. I have thrown as much abuse as possible, yet the Unicorn has withstood all of them. Go for the Dazzler, but I would suggest you to seriously consider the Unicorn
Bottom Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2011, 13:12   #7

as pointed out above,if you can live with the looks, go for the dazzler.otherwise get a unicorn.

honda engines can take a lot of abuse and still deliver 50+ mileage. my unicorn gives me 55 without fail. and their service is also better than yamaha, at least here in cochin.

go for honda, you wouldnt regret.
nevinfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 16:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tht'snotME View Post
i'm in ultimate dilema of deciding to buy a new bike.

my old workhorse(pulser150 1st gen) is waiting for the retirement. it is almost 5 years(it is 3 years old when i bought it) it served me well.it is time for me switch to a new bike because riding it become a huge problem because of the issues with almost all the parts(camshaft, electricals, etc..etc..).

Now coming to buy a new vehicle, i have decided to buy one of the below
1. Yamaha SZ-R -- for it's brand name and power(never owned a yamaha)
2. Honda Unicorn for Dazzler -- mostly for it's mileage claimed(have a great doubt about the height of the bike.. i'm 6ft tall)

reason being decided go for one of these two vehicle is purely because of Viatmin M.

i need inputs regading these two vehicles mainly these points mentioned below
1. Mileage( not need to explain why ..... should have born in oil producing countries)
2. Reliability
3. Electricals & Battery (both vehicles doent have Kick Start)
4. Maintainence cost
I hope by now you would have bought a bike. If yes please update the thread. If not my suggestion is to go for SZ-R. Considering the price difference between Dazzler and SZ-R , it is sensible to buy SZ-R .
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 16:41   #9
BHPian

Dazzler is superior to SZ-R in several aspects and for the instance even the Standard Unicorn is better.
Dazzler justifies its extra cost for being the premium 150cc motorcycle (its a FZ competitor actually) compared to SZ-R which is more of a Discover 150 competitor.

Dazzler is more powerful, dynamically superior and offers better economy. Electrical and comfort shouldn't be a problem either. Go for it !
Turbokick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 17:03   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Dazzler is superior to SZ-R in several aspects and for the instance even the Standard Unicorn is better.
Dazzler justifies its extra cost for being the premium 150cc motorcycle (its a FZ competitor actually) compared to SZ-R which is more of a Discover 150 competitor.

Dazzler is more powerful, dynamically superior and offers better economy. Electrical and comfort shouldn't be a problem either. Go for it !
Roughly about 7500 Rs is the difference between unicorn and SZ-R. I assume the mileage of SZ-R to be approx 45kmpl and that of unicorn to be at 50 kmpl in all the city driving conditions. The savings in running cost per km is approx 0.163333 Rs only, considering the petrol cost be at rs. 73.5/- per litre. So the break even point at which the Unicorn will start to be economic is at 46000 Kms approx.

Considering the above workings is it really a economy to choose Unicorn?.May be for those who drive too much.

I have considered both the bikes in all aspects and there exist no much difference between both.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 17:14   #11
BHPian

Breakeven point ?!
I am sure the topic starter isn't comparing both bikes in terms of total cost of ownership.
If it is so, then its always wiser to opt for the cheaper motorcycle of the two.

Dazzler is a class higher. It justifies the extra cost in terms of better equipment (digi meter,rear disc option, MF battery),better tyres and better suspension (Monoshock). It generates more power and has better economy as added advantage.

Dynamics is best in class. SZ-R is relatively more commuter friendly.
Turbokick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 10:09   #12
BHPian

I am a Unicorn Old-timer. I purchased my Unicorn in the year 2005. So its been like seven years now. Even today my bike is working amazingly. Gives me a good response and is extremely stable at high speeds. I have never had to spend a lot of money on maintenance. Its 42000kms old and has been through thick and thin road conditions (it has spokes and not alloys) and still is a very stable vehicle today.
arrowaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 11:46   #13
BHPian

hi all,

i have reworked my Pulsar 150 engine(from piston, rings, camshaft to everything).
i just got the bike from the mechanic and currently it is in run in period.
i dont know why but i was not able to let go the bike(the bike is with me for 6 years now), the only reason why i reworked the engine.

and another reason is i got Puntoed(bought a BNW Punto Dynamic) in jan 2012.
tht'snotME is offline   Reply With Quote