Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 20th November 2011, 12:09   #1
BHPian

Default Pulsar 220 engine oil leak

Yesterday I noticed an engine oil leak from my pulsar 220 which is just 2 months old and run around 900 kms. Initially thought it was petrol draining from the carburetor but on closer inspection I came to know that it was the engine oil that was oozing from near the spark plugs. It must have been coming out in a force as there was oil all over the back side of front mud guard. Now I am really worried as to what caused the oil over flow. I am quite novice when it comes to a bike's technical aspects. So gurus please throw some light on the issue. On revving the engine there are no abnormal sounds. What could be the reason? Spark plug not fitted properly after the first service?

Attaching a picture for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Pulsar 220 engine oil leak-100_4027.jpg  

Last edited by ravi_23 : 20th November 2011 at 12:24. Reason: Attached a picture
ravi_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 12:37   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Pulsar 220 engine oil leak

Quite possible that the service folks overfilled the engine oil. All the mechanics fill 1200ml of engine oil in regular oil change whereas it is explicitly mentioned that the quantity should be 1150ml only. High chance the mech filled in more than 1200 ml which led to this oil leaking. Firstly clean up the mess, put the bike on main stand and check the oil level. Also check the oil cooler pipes for any leakage/cuts/ruptures which is spraying the oil all over the engine. Mostly in such cases the service centre replaces the head gasket and tops up/refills the required amount of oil.
Motormania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 19:01   #3
BHPian

Do what Motormania mentioned. Although I have been filling 1200ml oil for 35k km on my P220 and the only time I had a problem of leaking engine oil was when they did not tighten the engine head properly post timing chain change. That time also engine oil leaked from a similar place to what I can see on your bike.

Anyways, take the bike to PBK / SVC ASAP and get it rectified. Also don't forget to give those morons a good firing for this mess. That will ensure a trouble free ownership for the rest of the times you take your bike there.

BTW I wonder where it is leaking from since they had no business touching the cylinder head / spark plugs at 1st service. They really do deserve an earful.
antz.bin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 20:41   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the replies. From your inputs I am assuming that it is not a severe problem. During the first service the mechanic did clean the spark plug, I am guessing that he did not fit it properly. Tomorrow morning I will take the bike to service centre and get it checked. I have not cleaned the oily mess so that they can also see from where exactly it is leaking. Any other suggestions are welcomed before tomorrow morning
ravi_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 12:12   #5
BHPian

Dear Motormania sir, I too own a pulsar 220F. I'm looking forward of changing its engine oil soon!
But I've a small query! I use my bike very less, may be about 4-5kms a day which makes it about 200-250kms per month, so I've just clocked about 5000kms since two yrs of my ownership and have had 2 services done, one free and the other paid, where in the engine oil was changed in both the services!!! Please kindly suggest the oil change interval for my usage style according to number of months or number of kilometers run!!!

Thank you,

Regards,
Rakshith.
Rakshith220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 12:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshith220 View Post
Dear Motormania sir, I too own a pulsar 220F. I'm looking forward of changing its engine oil soon!
But I've a small query! I use my bike very less, may be about 4-5kms a day which makes it about 200-250kms per month, so I've just clocked about 5000kms since two yrs of my ownership and have had 2 services done, one free and the other paid, where in the engine oil was changed in both the services!!! Please kindly suggest the oil change interval for my usage style according to number of months or number of kilometers run!!!

Thank you,

Regards,
Rakshith.

Hi,

No knighthood for me please. I am probably younger than you! Coming to your ride. Go through your owners' manual in detail. The service interval along with oil change has been mentioned. Bajaj has changed the service intervals on the P220 after 2010 I believe.

Do not simply go by the number of kms you have piled up. All service intervals mention something like "5000 kms or 6 months whichever is earlier" etc. Stick to this routine religiously and you should be fine.
Motormania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 13:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post

Hi,

No knighthood for me please. I am probably younger than you! Coming to your ride. Go through your owners' manual in detail. The service interval along with oil change has been mentioned. Bajaj has changed the service intervals on the P220 after 2010 I believe.

Do not simply go by the number of kms you have piled up. All service intervals mention something like "5000 kms or 6 months whichever is earlier" etc. Stick to this routine religiously and you should be fine.
Hello again,
But the last service was in February 2013 at ODO Meter reading 3774kms and now it's 8months past since service and the ODO reads 4824kms that's about 1050kms travelled in 8months of time which is my average travel distance!
Should I have a service done now or should I just replace my engine oil? And also if I need to just replace my engine oil, should I add that 3M Engine Oil additive which is always given by the Probiking Service people on every oil change? Please help me out on this!
Please don't feel bad but as your a pulsar 220F owner I am willing to ask you this!
Thank you in advance!
Rakshith220 is offline   Reply With Quote