Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2012, 10:20   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,427
Thanked: 875 Times
Default re: The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor - 12 years, one lakh KM up!

They say the bore, piston,even the valve guides are worn out.That it is time for a complete engine overhaul. Either that or change the bike.

According to them it will get progressively worse and the engine will start missing at slow speeds.

Last edited by Gansan : 20th March 2012 at 10:21.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 20:33   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 291
Thanked: 73 Times
Default re: The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor - 12 years, one lakh KM up!

I doubt that you need a "complete overhaul". Just enquire how much a new bore case costs and change it. It will have a new bore, new piston, new rings, and new valve guides as well. Include labour and it shouldn't cost more than 2K.

Even if it costs double, or even triple, how is that equivalent to a new bike? Unless you are tired of this and looking for a change.

Prajwal
prajwalkashyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 07:15   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,427
Thanked: 875 Times
Default re: The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor - 12 years, one lakh KM up!

^^That is what they mean - replace the complete set. Costs Rs 9000.00 approx. A couple of free services thrown in afterward.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 20:55   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,427
Thanked: 875 Times
Default re: The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor - 12 years, one lakh KM up!

Bike has crossed the 100,000 KM milestone yesterday and stands at 00052 KM. I am retiring her from active service as of today and am taking a first class pass by suburban rail from tomorrow, until a new bike is decided upon. The Splendor will just ferry me to the railway station and back home!
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 13:28   #35
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 163
Thanked: 7 Times
Default re: The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor - 12 years, one lakh KM up!

I too have a 1998 Spendor which has clocked about 70k and is running fine. I am also looking at replacing it a newer bike...
askicode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 11:33   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 139
Thanked: 8 Times
Default re: The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor - 12 years, one lakh KM up!

Mine is 1997 splendor with minor modifications by fitting a round head light and a short handle, look at the photos in my garage, done this at my college days. I have the original parts with me. Clocked 42k now clutch slippage is there . As per the mechanic the clutch issue is due to the short handle. May be i will replace it to stock . Any clue how much will be a clutch overhaul ? It give close to 60 mileage. Another issue is dripping on petrol from the overflow tube connected to carb after overnight parking any suggessions to fix this ?

Last edited by vinu_pm : 18th July 2012 at 11:51.
vinu_pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 11:53   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 291 Times
Default re: The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor - 12 years, one lakh KM up!

Awesome, Gansan! The Splendor was truly a fill it, shut it, forget bike of its time. Even today, it is an extremely reliable bike. Just that the technology has moved ahead.

If you're changing your bike, I can suggest you a Honda shine. In my eyes, it is today's splendor. Understated looks, silky smooth engine, nice FE. It might last another 1,00,000 kms. I doubt if a bike like Discover 100/135 can do it.
blue_pulsar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 12:07   #38
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,773
Thanked: 273 Times
Default re: The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor - 12 years, one lakh KM up!

Just saw this thread. My friend owns a Splendour which has run 1,22,000 KMS! He got some work done on the engine at the 1,00,000 mark and since then the bike performs as usual. I was riding pillion and noticed that the engine was smooth with no undue vibrations or strain. This is a real testament to the Splendour's reliability and fuss-free operation.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 12:34   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,427
Thanked: 875 Times
Default re: The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor - 12 years, one lakh KM up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
If you're changing your bike, I can suggest you a Honda shine. In my eyes, it is today's splendor. Understated looks, silky smooth engine, nice FE. It might last another 1,00,000 kms. I doubt if a bike like Discover 100/135 can do it.
I doubt it. Though I see many Shines on the road, I notice too many of them smoking. Way too early for a bike introduced barely a couple of years ago.

I am torn between overhauling the bike and replacing it with a new one. I still love it and don't want to part ways. Today I was given an estimate for ~ 8K at an independent, highly recommended workshop. Includes fork overhaul and seat replacement. After inspecting the bike he says only the bore,piston, bearings and clutch need to be replaced. The con rod and crank are good and can be worked upon.

For replacement, I have short listed Suzuki GS 150R / Yamaha FZ.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 13:50   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
rr_zen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,711
Thanked: 262 Times
Default re: The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor - 12 years, one lakh KM up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I doubt it. Though I see many Shines on the road, I notice too many of them smoking. Way too early for a bike introduced barely a couple of years ago.

I am torn between overhauling the bike and replacing it with a new one. I still love it and don't want to part ways. Today I was given an estimate for ~ 8K at an independent, highly recommended workshop. Includes fork overhaul and seat replacement. After inspecting the bike he says only the bore,piston, bearings and clutch need to be replaced. The con rod and crank are good and can be worked upon.

For replacement, I have short listed Suzuki GS 150R / Yamaha FZ.
Hi Gansan, am surprised I didnt get to see this detailed review of yours before. A great review and I am sure you cherish all the memories of the past. For the replacement, are you not considering any bike from the Honda stable at all ?
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 14:36   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,427
Thanked: 875 Times
Default re: The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor - 12 years, one lakh KM up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
For the replacement, are you not considering any bike from the Honda stable at all ?
I considered the Unicorn and the Dazzler. But no TD, and if you book by paying an advance, three months later you will be "allotted" a Unicorn! No way for you to select one from a batch! Dazzler supplies are not coming and they don't know if and when it will resume. My brother has a Uni for the past 6 years and I am not very impressed with the build quality. Plus, spares are still a problem.

They tried to hard sell a Twister to me and I walked off! I did a TD of the TBTS as well. Liked it, but I have a feeling it is not my cup of tea.

Tried the Karizma; very impressive, but forward leaning seating position; feels uncomfortable after a while. Tried the CBZ Xtreme and Hunk as well; not impressed, moreover the names are a put off! More suitable for my son than me!

Did not consider anything from TVS or Bajaj.

Try out the GS 150R sometime. It is a dark horse!

I was offered Rs 9000.00 for the Splendor for exchange with the GS 150R. I have half a mind to keep the Splendor even if I buy a new bike.

Last edited by Gansan : 18th July 2012 at 14:43.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 14:55   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
rr_zen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,711
Thanked: 262 Times
Default re: The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor - 12 years, one lakh KM up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I considered the Unicorn and the Dazzler. But no TD, and if you book by paying an advance, three months later you will be "allotted" a Unicorn! No way for you to select one from a batch! Dazzler supplies are not coming and they don't know if and when it will resume. My brother has a Uni for the past 6 years and I am not very impressed with the build quality. Plus, spares are still a problem.

They tried to hard sell a Twister to me and I walked off! I did a TD of the TBTS as well. Liked it, but I have a feeling it is not my cup of tea.

Tried the Karizma; very impressive, but forward leaning seating position; feels uncomfortable after a while. Tried the CBZ Xtreme and Hunk as well; not impressed, moreover the names are a put off! More suitable for my son than me!

Did not consider anything from TVS or Bajaj.

Try out the GS 150R sometime. It is a dark horse!

I was offered Rs 9000.00 for the Splendor for exchange with the GS 150R. I have half a mind to keep the Splendor even if I buy a new bike.
I own a Unicorn for the last 7 plus years and my bike is from one of the first batches. Till date, touchwood I have not had any issues whatsoever. I have owned a Samurai, Fiero and a KB100 RTZ and of the four I would rate the Unicorn the best. Of course, I must admit that I only have 9k on the odo as on date as I use the car more than the bike and my bike was in cold storage for 2 years when I was in the US.

I have heard that the availability of the Unicorn is a problem but recently heard from one of my friends that it is no longer a problem. If at all you are going in for Honda, I would recommend the Unicorn over the Dazzler given that the former is a more mature bike and is the right one for executives who are 30+.

I fully agree the state of mind you are in when you think about the plans for your Splendor as I was in a similar situation 10 years back when I had the Samurai that had served me for 9 years and I badly wanted the Fiero. The result, I had two bikes for more than 3 years with the same regn. no (numeric alone) till I sold both of them and bought the Unicorn in 2005.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 15:09   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,427
Thanked: 875 Times
Default re: The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor - 12 years, one lakh KM up!

^^ No, I don't find anything wrong with the performance of my brother's Uni. Just the problem of rust at various places. Plus servicing - Lodha Honda is no good, they just wash the bike and return it to you without attending anything; if you get it serviced outside, spares are not available.

I tried with two dealers, at Tambaram and T'Nagar. Both say 2 - 3 months for the Unicorn. The GS 150R feels exactly like a Unicorn with 6 gears!

Keeping the Splendor even after buying a new bike will be merely for leaving it at the suburban railway station whenever I take the train. A new bike will be scarred all over the body in no time!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 15:34   #44
tud
BHPian
 
tud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 81
Thanked: 29 Times
Default re: The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor - 12 years, one lakh KM up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Awesome, Gansan! The Splendor was truly a fill it, shut it, forget bike of its time. Even today, it is an extremely reliable bike. Just that the technology has moved ahead.

If you're changing your bike, I can suggest you a Honda shine. In my eyes, it is today's splendor. Understated looks, silky smooth engine, nice FE. It might last another 1,00,000 kms. I doubt if a bike like Discover 100/135 can do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I doubt it. Though I see many Shines on the road, I notice too many of them smoking. Way too early for a bike introduced barely a couple of years ago.

I am torn between overhauling the bike and replacing it with a new one. I still love it and don't want to part ways. Today I was given an estimate for ~ 8K at an independent, highly recommended workshop. Includes fork overhaul and seat replacement. After inspecting the bike he says only the bore,piston, bearings and clutch need to be replaced. The con rod and crank are good and can be worked upon.

For replacement, I have short listed Suzuki GS 150R / Yamaha FZ.
I have been using a Honda Shine since 2007 and will definitely NOT recommend it. The engine is a GEM. Silent, smooth and refined. But the engine is not everything. Almost all parts of this bike is plastic. Even a mild brush with a fellow motorists at traffic signals will leave you with a broken indicator. Now the whole set has to be fixed. The bush and the fitting was of the poorest of poor quality. Same with the head light doom. It breaks when you ride over potholes. And Chennai without potholes is a distant dream. Similarly the rear tyre is absolute rubbish. After changing the tyre profile to a size bigger, I'm getting better grip on the road, during rains and while cornering. The Shines you saw with smoke may be badly maintained examples. Mine is still as good as new but the plastic parts don't last even a couple of years.

Sadly that is the state with most bikes today. Blame it on cost cutting. The Suzuki GS 150R is again a GEM of an engine but service back up is doubtful. Also Suzuki has not tasted success with any of their models in the recent editions. If km/ltr is not that big a concern, check out RE Classic 350 or the Avenger.

Cheers!
tud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 15:45   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 291 Times
Default re: The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor - 12 years, one lakh KM up!

Since you have TR'ed the Karizma, why don't you TR the Pulsar 200NS as well? Reviews says that its the best Bajaj ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ No, I don't find anything wrong with the performance of my brother's Uni. Just the problem of rust at various places. Plus servicing - Lodha Honda is no good, they just wash the bike and return it to you without attending anything; if you get it serviced outside, spares are not available.

I tried with two dealers, at Tambaram and T'Nagar. Both say 2 - 3 months for the Unicorn. The GS 150R feels exactly like a Unicorn with 6 gears!

Keeping the Splendor even after buying a new bike will be merely for leaving it at the suburban railway station whenever I take the train. A new bike will be scarred all over the body in no time!
Yes, I have heard about Honda servicing problems in Bangalore too. They seem to be an incompetent bunch.
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Hero Honda" to become "Hero MotoCorp Ltd." ottocycle Motorbikes 79 30th August 2012 18:41
Hero Honda Splendor 94 Maintenance & Painting help vinfriend Motorbikes 8 5th November 2010 18:37
Help required! Hero Honda Splendor+ engine noise manukale Motorbikes 0 4th October 2008 15:56
Hero honda splendor - Which nut to open to change oil? vinfriend Motorbikes 1 27th August 2007 12:03
Hero Honda Coming UP with Splendor's new Variant!! SohailPistawala Motorbikes 14 16th May 2007 08:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks