Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 13th December 2012, 11:59   #76
BHPian

Default Re: The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor - 12 years, one lakh KM up!

Good write up! I too have a 1999 Model HH Splendor. Have clocked 75K on it! I agree with the Fill it shut it policy of this bike. I Fill about 500 Rs worth petrol every month.. And I do not have to bother about filling her up for another 45 days or so.. Although I am not sure about the mileage. I guess I am getting somewhere around 60 Km/PL.. It would give me a bit more, But I am a pretty fast rider in the city. I hardly take it on highways!

I still remember the days, I used to shuttle Bangalore -> Mangalore once in 2 weeks, while I was working in Bangy in 2003! Total distance would be 700+ kms plus again city rides. At that time 500 bucks would mean 10 Lts!

I still intend to keep this bike, Although I had thoughts on selling it before, But then with all the plastic bikes that are available in the market.. the Splendor is better built and robust! Takes me from A to B with very less maintenance and fuel.

I really don't remember when I Last spent on any parts on this bike. Still runs like how it used to run while I Bought it.. But however the collar bush seems to have cracked and its only 20-30 RS OE! Just need to get that replaced. Rest is good.

I would never even dream of selling this bike again! This is a true legend even to this day.. Every time I need a adrenaline rush I get the RX out! Every time I need mileage I take the HH!
yamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 14:28   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have done a complete engine overhaul of my bike...........
Thanks for sharing the info. If you have the proper bill of parts purchase, please post the scan copy, so the part number can available.

Quote:
I installed new MRF nylogrip tyres (2.75 X 18 4 PR front, 2.75X18 6 PR rear).
Although the done is done but regarding the tyre, I prefer the Michelin 3.0 x 18 for better road grip and stability.
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 20:23   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Thanks for sharing the info. If you have the proper bill of parts purchase, please post the scan copy, so the part number can available.
Will do asap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Although the done is done but regarding the tyre, I prefer the Michelin 3.0 x 18 for better road grip and stability.
Well, here is your answer!

Quote:

Though the 3.00X18 6 PR MRF Moto-C tyre at the rear was only 30k KM old and still good for another 20k, I replaced it since I felt the engine performance deteriorated faster after I installed it when the odo was at 75k KM.
Gansan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 20:10   #79
BHPian

I too went back to 20w40 grade oil after 2100 KMs of A.S.S filled 10w30 oil. Bought Motul 3000 4T plus 20w40 for Rs.220/- and got the oil changed at a nearby work shop.

Have the following queries though:
1. Motul 3000 4T plus 20w40 is hard to find. The shop i found this had just one tin left. So next time i find it in stock, is it wise to buy, say 3 or 4 one litre cans and store it at home? Will it deteriorate over time if left in its original container?

2. The mechanic who changed the oil said its not required to clean the oil filter for every oil change. Is it true? Or did i commit a blunder by not insisting on an oil filter cleaning?
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 10:41   #80
Senior - BHPian

^^ It is OK to buy a few cans and keep it in stock, with the seal intact. It will be fine for a couple of years from the date of packing, no issues. Don't worry, it is not edible oil after all! Else buy Shell Advance 20W40 oil from a Shell Pump, as there are duplicates for that too nowadays. Even if we pay MRP, we will have peace of mind - I buy Shell Helix as well only from their pumps.

Change oil every 2500 KM. It is enough to clean the oil filter during every alternate oil change.
Old 17th January 2013, 11:21   #81
BHPian

Could feel the effect of the change to 20w40 oil immediately. Today morning it was again very chilly here in Bangalore. Bike refused to start to the first kick, the way it did yesterday when it was on 10w30 oil. Ah, its then i understood the difference between 10 and 20 grade oils!!

The upside being, ride to office felt like riding on clouds (remembered the original HH Splendor TV ad with a smile) Butter smooth ride, where it used to be slightly harsh earlier, engine used to strain post 50kmph earlier. Now all that is gone

Thanks to all members here for opening my eyes to the benefits of reverting to 20w40 oil, especially prajwalkashyap and (Alok). Thanks guys!!

Thanks Gansan for your tip on oil storage.
Quote:
..It is enough to clean the oil filter during every alternate oil change.
Folks over at xbhp say Splendor does not have an oil filter at all!! Only a wire mesh (that never needs cleaning) and a centrifugal filter that requires cleaning every 10000 kms. So did you intend to mean the wire mesh instead ?

Second query i have is regarding tyre size. I remember replacing rear tire with a wider one couple of years ago due to repeated punctures. Should I go ahead and revert to thinner tyres for reduced engine wear and tear? I plan to do this immediately if its absolutely required.

Last edited by WindRide : 17th January 2013 at 11:28.
Old 17th January 2013, 11:34   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Change oil every 2500 KM. It is enough to clean the oil filter during every alternate oil change.
Mate,
Don't you think changing every 2500 Km is an overkill? If the engine is healthy and does not burn oil you can stretch it to 4000 Km.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 11:38   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Folks over at xbhp say Splendor does not have a oil filter to clean!! Only a wire mesh (that never needs cleaning) and a centrifugal filter that requires cleaning every 10000 kms. So did you intend to mean the wire mesh instead ?

Second query i have is regarding tyre size. I remember replacing rear tire with a wider one couple of years ago due to repeated punctures. Should I go ahead and revert to thinner tyres for reduced engine wear and tear? I plan to do this immediately if its absolutely required.
I meant the rotary filter and the mesh. Cleaning them at least once a year is good; during every alternate oil change will be ideal. In fact at Liberty Motors (Peenya) they used to do it during every service, which was really overkill!

The wider tyre (300 X 18) at the rear does take a few KMPL off the mileage figures, which also means increased strain on the engine. That is the price for the increased contact area and comfort! But after the recent engine job, I restored my tyres to stock size, though the wider tyre at the rear had ~ 20k KM life left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I guess this thread is the apt one to have a few queries on the Splendor. What could be the reason for low FE on a Splendor? It has done only less than 50k. Taken many times to the local mechanic, but the FE never improved more than 55kmpl. I had been getting 40-45, but then recently the mechanic serviced the carburetor and the FE is bumped to +5. Is that all? What are the major things to check for low FE on the Splendor?
Sorry I saw this only now. If your Splendor is the alloy wheel model, the mileage you get is about par for the course. It is only the wire wheel models with the stock size (2.75 X 18) tyres which give better mileage.

In fact my bike after the rebuild is giving me only 58 KMPL (74 KMPL when new), even with stock size wheels and tyres. Reason is the drop in the quality (and price) of the components. Even brand new Splendors rarely give 60 KMPL these days.

I bought my bike for Rs 49K in Feb'2000. It still costs about the same, even after 12 years! The cost of a bore/piston kit was ~Rs 3500.00 then; just Rs 1500 now!

@Ku69rd

Remember, these bikes have tiny sumps and contain only about 900 ml of oil! And operate very hot! They love frequent oil changes! In fact the recommended interval in my manual is 2000 - 2500 KM, for 20W40 oil!

Last edited by Gansan : 17th January 2013 at 11:47.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 14:19   #84
BHPian

Quote:
... Else buy Shell Advance 20W40 oil ....
Gansan, reading up on Shell 20w40 oils, realised there are two types - AX3 and AX5. Both are 20w40. Which one is better for Splendor and why? What's the difference between the two?
Old 17th January 2013, 14:43   #85
Senior - BHPian

^^Here you go. I am using AX-5 though. May be switch to AX-7, a few thousand KM post engine rebuild.

http://www.shell.com/ind/products-se...gine-oils.html

Last edited by Gansan : 17th January 2013 at 14:44.
Gansan is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 09:38   #86
BHPian

After the oil change, i started seeing minor oil leak from under the engine oil section onto the floor. Took the bike couple of times back to the mechanic, each time he tightened the drain bolt. The amount of leak reduced but did not completely stop. Finally on the third visit, he used some old cloth threads, wound it around the nut and put it back. Now am hoping this solves the problem, even though i realise its only a workaround/jugaad.

I understand tightening the nut too much after an engine oil change can damage threads and induce leaks. Is this what has happened in my case? If so, can i live with the jugaad or look for a more permanent solution?
Old 18th January 2013, 10:03   #87
Senior - BHPian

^^The drain nut should not be tightened too much, else the threads in the sump may be damaged. Solution will be to remove the engine, "tap" the drain hole in a lathe and install a different nut.

But before you come to the conclusion, see if the washer of the nut was in place before tightening. Meanwhile keep checking the oil level once a week and top-up if necessary.
Old 7th February 2013, 19:46   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^Here you go. I am using AX-5 though. May be switch to AX-7, a few thousand KM post engine rebuild.

http://www.shell.com/ind/products-se...gine-oils.html
@Gansan: First of all, congratulations on your resurrection project with your Splendor. I am sure you are enjoying it even more now.

I am planning to change the engine oil on my Unicorn and inclined to go in for Shell rather than the genuine oil from Honda this time. I took a look at the details in the website through the link you had provided and tempted to go in for Shell Advance Ultra given that its synthetic. My only worry is that being synthetic, will it lead to clutch slippage? Would you know of anyone that has used this before? Thanks.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 22:47   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I am planning to change the engine oil on my Unicorn and inclined to go in for Shell rather than the genuine oil from Honda this time. I took a look at the details in the website through the link you had provided and tempted to go in for Shell Advance Ultra given that its synthetic. My only worry is that being synthetic, will it lead to clutch slippage? Would you know of anyone that has used this before? Thanks.
If there is JASO MA1/ MA2 certification, clutch slip shouldn’t occur, whether the oil is synthetic or mineral.
If the matter is related to unicorn, you are on wrong thread.
Some related threads:

(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...tml#post964698 (The Best 4T Oil))
(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...a-unicorn.html (Oil change for Honda Unicorn))
(Alok) is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 10:29   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
@Gansan: First of all, congratulations on your resurrection project with your Splendor. I am sure you are enjoying it even more now.
Thanks! Bike runs nicely now.

As for the oil, Shell Advance Ultra should be a bike specific oil, so there will be no issues. Just ensure there is the picture of a bike on the oil can. Also read the description on the label at the back side of the can.

Shell Helix Ultra, on the other hand, is meant for cars and should not be used on bikes.

In mineral/semi-synthetic oils, their nomenclature goes like this: HX-5, HX-7 for cars; AX-5 and AX-7 for bikes.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote