Old 7th December 2011, 09:24   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Initial review on the Honda CBR 250R ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
So have you triggered the ABS yet!?

Regards
Sutripta
Well I have used the rear brake which is supposed to trigger ABS, i have done emergency braking twice on this bike already - rock steady.
farhadtarapore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 09:57   #17
BHPian

One quick question to all: What is a good helmet holder for CBR? I read in the owner's manual that one can remove the rear seat and loop the helmet strap from somewhere under and then fit the seat back. But it's a pain to remove the seat everytime you park and want to stow the helmet.
Also, I don't want to fit the ugly looking plastic helmet holder on the rear grab rail (available at most RTO complexes). So what are the options here (other than carrying the helmet around) ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 7th December 2011, 10:43   #18
BHPian

Default Re: Initial review on the Honda CBR 250RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post

I am a big admirer of Teflon coating because of my past experience. The bike even survived many scratches and all! I had bought it for 72k and since it still looked so new (esp the paint), I got 40k even after 5 years!
Reg Teflon coating, I have had a Pulsar for 9 years now. Sold it recently. The paint was still good without any Teflon coating. I used to park my bike in open for 4 years.

Below are few pictures,
Initial review on the Honda CBR 250R ABS-21102011813.jpg

Initial review on the Honda CBR 250R ABS-21102011814.jpg
mac187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 11:21   #19
BHPian

Great buy. What was the on-road price?

And OT. What are you planning to do with your Karizma? Let me know.
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 13:44   #20
BANNED

Congratulations on the bike. You surely going to enjoy it more than your previous ride. The side stand is much more stable than the center stand and all the more for heavier bikes. Ride safe.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 03:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
If you're serious about ^^^, then you're wasting your time on the below!!!

Go through owner's manual & show me the line where the manufacturer says to keep below 5K!!! Someone or somehow everyone fantasize Ninja, but can't afford to buy one & follow the Ninja's run in procedure for CBR...guess that makes them happy

And the teflon thing...is waste of money, anyway, it doesn't matter in your case as its free

Regarding the main stand, its due to the weight & the energy that's required to pull the 165+ Kgs makes cumbersome, add to that, personally, main stands are insults to a sports bike.

BTW, welcome to the club
Is motoman running-in method not recommended for these bikes?
Shubz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 08:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Is motoman running-in method not recommended for these bikes?
Frankly speaking me or not most people from India has witnessed Motoman's method; claiming something over the internet...well...you & I can do it as well provided we're something related in the field.

At the same time, I don't question the reliability or trust of the claim either; its something that's not to be debated, which is unseen.

Put it this way, if I'd money to buy 10 1198S & I still buy C250R or even N250R for the sake of owning one, I can use Motoman or Photoman's method; I screw up something, it can be fixed as I've money to get it done.

But for someone who barely afford's for C250R (or even Scooty pep), I'd rather stay off from such experiments & just blindly follow what's said for that bike/scooter.

For CBR 250R, the owner's manual says, "no sudden acceleration for first 1000 Kms"; no limit on RPM or anything; personally (can't disclose sources in public, sorry), I've been answered that one can even do upto 7-8K RPM even during the 1st 100 Kms on ODO & beyond. But to strictest level, no sudden acceleration or engine braking.

In addition, I'd suggest for an oil change whenever the engine feels a little rough & stick to either 10W-30 FS or 20W-40 Mineral ONLY from HMSI (for the sake of warranty).

Last edited by aargee : 8th December 2011 at 08:32.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 08:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Farhad. I saw your black beauty at the basement. We can start a CBR riders group at PFS. My cycle has been lying idle since I got the bike. Hope to meet you soon.

Shamil
PatienceWins is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 14:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Congrats Farhad. I saw your black beauty at the basement. We can start a CBR riders group at PFS. My cycle has been lying idle since I got the bike. Hope to meet you soon.

Shamil
Sure thing! Some folks in my office are planning for this towards end of december Bengaluru, Karnataka, India to Bengaluru, Karnataka, India - Google Maps
Would like to do something like this sometime next year
Old 8th December 2011, 14:59   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Great buy. What was the on-road price?

And OT. What are you planning to do with your Karizma? Let me know.
I traded my zmr to the honda folks [exchange scheme]. So, on-road was about 1.2
Old 8th December 2011, 18:09   #26
BHPian

Smile Re: Initial review on the Honda CBR 250R ABS

Many congratulations on your new ride. Although I've heard mixed reviews about the CBR250R upto this point, I guess only time will sort those out.

Now to the more important bits. Do you think it's an ideal upgrade from a ZMA-R? Apart from the fact that it's more modern and better equipped, is the single cylinder configuration not a deal breaker?

I read recently that the first batch of Ceebers have been recalled by Honda. Hope your's is not on the list.

I'll add more queries as and when they pop into my mind. For now though, congrats and ride safe
tejus.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 19:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Frankly speaking me or not most people from India has witnessed Motoman's method; claiming something over the internet...well...you & I can do it as well provided we're something related in the field.

At the same time, I don't question the reliability or trust of the claim either; its something that's not to be debated, which is unseen.

Put it this way, if I'd money to buy 10 1198S & I still buy C250R or even N250R for the sake of owning one, I can use Motoman or Photoman's method; I screw up something, it can be fixed as I've money to get it done.

But for someone who barely afford's for C250R (or even Scooty pep), I'd rather stay off from such experiments & just blindly follow what's said for that bike/scooter.

For CBR 250R, the owner's manual says, "no sudden acceleration for first 1000 Kms"; no limit on RPM or anything; personally (can't disclose sources in public, sorry), I've been answered that one can even do upto 7-8K RPM even during the 1st 100 Kms on ODO & beyond. But to strictest level, no sudden acceleration or engine braking.

In addition, I'd suggest for an oil change whenever the engine feels a little rough & stick to either 10W-30 FS or 20W-40 Mineral ONLY from HMSI (for the sake of warranty).
aargee sir - please don't get me wrong. I am a noob as far as bikes are concerned (so what if I have just stepped into the 40's) I was only seeking information from experienced bikers like you as in all probability I would be going for the Duke when it is released.

On one of the threads here - a tbhpian got a N250r and did the motomans break-in method (never heard of photoman though lol). So was trying to get more and more information as possible.

I did look at the way motomans break in is done (on youtube) - there is no sudden acceleration or sudden braking anywhere - but gradual acceleration to the max and allowing engine to decelerate on its own and repeating this process for about 25kms one way (total of 50 kms) and then changing oil first thing.

yet again - my post was only from "seeking information" perspective and not contradicting bike manufacturers instruction on their manuals or bikers like you following it accordingly.
Old 8th December 2011, 22:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

Good review. But you've forgotten to mention the ABS. I mean, is it worth the extra 30k?
ashwin.terminat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 00:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Good review. But you've forgotten to mention the ABS. I mean, is it worth the extra 30k?
I had test driven the Non-ABS version of this and I found the braking pretty firm/sure. I checked with the Honda guy about ABS, he said not a deal breaker kind of difference except for the price (about 30k more).

I personally feel, Non-ABS is just fine. We do have so many bikes in the city/country/world without ABS and its still fine. Unless one is very sure of the need for ABS. Just my two paisa.
Old 9th December 2011, 01:55   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
I personally feel, Non-ABS is just fine. We do have so many bikes in the city/country/world without ABS and its still fine. Unless one is very sure of the need for ABS. Just my two paisa.
Actually ABS is worth every bit the 30k. I have had ABS kick in several times on the CBR already and all of those cases were the typical 'I am gonna skid and fall now' scenarios. A definite life saver. In fact, I now see more sense in ABS on bikes compared to cars.
Not having ABS on a 100cc commuter bike is one thing; not having it on something that can do 140kmph is not the same!
niranjanrvce is offline   Reply With Quote