Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 9th December 2011, 02:04   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Initial review on the Honda CBR 250R ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Actually ABS is worth every bit the 30k. I have had ABS kick in several times on the CBR already and all of those cases were the typical 'I am gonna skid and fall now' scenarios. A definite life saver. In fact, I now see more sense in ABS on bikes compared to cars.
Not having ABS on a 100cc commuter bike is one thing; not having it on something that can do 140kmph is not the same!
Agree to you point. How many among us race to 140 kmph and how often? And as I said, its each one's way of taking it. Personally, I'd rather go without ABS (Please note I wasn't referring to cars from any angle at all - that too on a bikes thread).

For the bike like the beautiful CBR250 - the weight of 165 kg - you sure must ride like hell to get into a situation like "Oh I am gonna skid now" or if you are running into a gravel layered tarmac at higher speeds.

Noob question: Do the bikes that do Moto GP etc have ABS in them?
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 02:13   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
For the bike like the beautiful CBR250 - the weight of 165 kg - you sure must ride like hell to get into a situation like "Oh I am gonna skid now" or if you are running into a gravel layered tarmac at higher speeds.
Nope I don't ride like hell - there's a lot of construction around the area I live in and it's common to find loose sand on the road. Braking at even 40 let alone 140kmph can cause the wheels to lock and skid. So far, every instance of the ABS kicking in for me has been in speeds between 40-60 only. The weight of the bike has nothing to do with the wheels locking up!

It's a common misconception that ABS helps only at high speeds. This misconception is greatly aided by ignorant salesman making statements like 'ABS no use in city saar' and 'you need ABS only if you race saar'.
niranjanrvce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 02:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope I don't ride like hell - there's a lot of construction around the area I live in and it's common to find loose sand on the road. Braking at even 40 let alone 140kmph can cause the wheels to lock and skid. So far, every instance of the ABS kicking in for me has been in speeds between 40-60 only. The weight of the bike has nothing to do with the wheels locking up!

It's a common misconception that ABS helps only at high speeds. This misconception is greatly aided by ignorant salesman making statements like 'ABS no use in city saar' and 'you need ABS only if you race saar'.
Personally I feel something is missing. Secondly I ain't quoting the salesman saar verbatim. Just trying to put up a few facts after riding the CBR TD bike, braking hard etc. May be I am mistaken in the short 20 min ride that I had.

ABS is not a deal breaker!!
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 09:37   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejus.s View Post
Now to the more important bits. Do you think it's an ideal upgrade from a ZMA-R? Apart from the fact that it's more modern and better equipped, is the single cylinder configuration not a deal breaker?

I read recently that the first batch of Ceebers have been recalled by Honda. Hope your's is not on the list.
Thank you!
I do consider it an upgrade from the ZMR-R (I owned a ZMR before this and a ZMA-R before that). My ZMR engine used to feel stressed and there would be a lot of vibrations after 65kmph mark. Nothing of the sort exists here. I effortlessly go to about 75-80kmph before I look at the speedo and realize that i need to slow down.

Also, I purchsed the bike with ABS because I have had many many instances with my ZMR when the wheels would skid even on paved roads (forget gravel or mud track). With this bike I have had only three such instances so far when I have had to slam the brakes and the bike, as I have said before, held rock steady. No skidding. Again, this happened on the perfectly good paved road.

In dirt or mud or gravel, I think the ABS will help more, but the wheel "MAY" skid a bit due to the surface. But it is definitely better than non-ABS. My point in buying this is - if it's available on the bike, then why not.
farhadtarapore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 10:26   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Thank you!
I do consider it an upgrade from the ZMR-R (I owned a ZMR before this and a ZMA-R before that). My ZMR engine used to feel stressed and there would be a lot of vibrations after 65kmph mark. Nothing of the sort exists here. I effortlessly go to about 75-80kmph before I look at the speedo and realize that i need to slow down.
I've not faced this problem so far. The engine's been a gem even without all the FI tech going on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Also, I purchsed the bike with ABS because I have had many many instances with my ZMR when the wheels would skid even on paved roads (forget gravel or mud track). With this bike I have had only three such instances so far when I have had to slam the brakes and the bike, as I have said before, held rock steady. No skidding. Again, this happened on the perfectly good paved road.

In dirt or mud or gravel, I think the ABS will help more, but the wheel "MAY" skid a bit due to the surface. But it is definitely better than non-ABS. My point in buying this is - if it's available on the bike, then why not.

Yes, I strongly agree with you. Brakes on my ZMA-R are woefully inadequate. I'm looking at getting a rear disc retro fitted.

Last edited by tejus.s : 9th December 2011 at 10:28.
tejus.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 21:23   #36
BHPian

Congos on the bike. I own the first Black ABS CBR to be delivered in Hyderabad. No issues till date and as of now, the odo is at 10,000 Kms.
What was the top speed you were able to touch?
kingofmyworld is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 09:55   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
Congos on the bike. I own the first Black ABS CBR to be delivered in Hyderabad. No issues till date and as of now, the odo is at 10,000 Kms.
What was the top speed you were able to touch?
Thank you. Top speed I have driven at has been 75kmph.
Old 10th December 2011, 15:12   #38
Senior - BHPian

Any information about 0 to 100 kmph timing on this bike?
Ninja does it under 8 seconds.

Last edited by djay99 : 10th December 2011 at 15:14.
djay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 15:42   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Any information about 0 to 100 kmph timing on this bike?
Ninja does it under 8 seconds.
Able to do it around 9 seconds. That includes redlining and shifting as if a dragon were loose on my tail
sasikiran_bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 15:27   #40
BHPian

Congratulations Farhad, and you report is incomplete with the pictures. Post some nice pics of your ride and let us the discounts and the OTR

Safe motoring
blackbeast is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 15:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Actually ABS is worth every bit the 30k. I have had ABS kick in several times on the CBR already and all of those cases were the typical 'I am gonna skid and fall now' scenarios. A definite life saver. In fact, I now see more sense in ABS on bikes compared to cars.
Not having ABS on a 100cc commuter bike is one thing; not having it on something that can do 140kmph is not the same!
You are absolutely right. I had an accident in my R15 last year which could have been avoided if I had ABS. I would pay the extra 30K for the ABS if I were to buy CBR250R.
nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 13:18   #42
BHPian

Cool Re: Initial review on the Honda CBR 250R ABS

Here are some pics I managed to clickety click:
Initial review on the Honda CBR 250R ABS-bike_1.jpg

Name:  bike_2.jpg
Views: 1496
Size:  38.5 KB

Name:  bike_3.jpg
Views: 1672
Size:  105.1 KB

Name:  bike_4.jpg
Views: 1638
Size:  107.5 KB

Name:  IMAG0142.jpg
Views: 1705
Size:  106.1 KB

Some of the rusted bolts [on handlebar] I have encountered in less than a month -

Name:  rusty_1.jpg
Views: 1500
Size:  76.7 KB

Initial review on the Honda CBR 250R ABS-rusty_2.jpg
farhadtarapore is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 12:27   #43
BHPian

farhad: Honda did rush in with this bike here,didnt they? Have had numerous folks having rusted bolts. Frankly, the parts were always sub quality ever since it launched. Even worse, have heard the footpegs rubber going off in a month! Honda should fix this now.

But dont you find the headlights inadequate?
coolmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 12:31   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
farhad: Honda did rush in with this bike here,didnt they? Have had numerous folks having rusted bolts. Frankly, the parts were always sub quality ever since it launched. Even worse, have heard the footpegs rubber going off in a month! Honda should fix this now.

But dont you find the headlights inadequate?
As for the headlights, I find them quite ok. FAR better than the ones on my ZMR at least.

Complained about rusty bolts to honda. They redirected to ASC. ASC said they'll get the replacement kit and let me know. The kit contains a few other bolts as well which they will replace gratis.
Old 29th December 2011, 14:02   #45
BHPian

Just my two cents -

People relate the 'use' of ABS always with high speeds. As per my understanding even at 60kmph ABS would be life saving for a biker. In Indian roads, 100's of bike accidents happen due to skidding and atleast 70% of those riders are not doing 100+. ABS to me as someone said, more important in bikes than in cars.

I have had 3 minor bike accidents and all three happened due to skidding and loosing control. All three cases i wasn't above 80kmph. So as far iam concerned, its a Thumbs Up to ABS. Just waiting for Bajaj to launch ABS since they are off late the trend 'forcers'. Once Bajaj has it, every other manufacturer will come up with ABS as a 'std'
sam_sant2005 is offline   Reply With Quote