Old 6th December 2011, 15:51   #1
BHPian

Thumbs up Initial review on the Honda CBR 250R ABS

My review on the Honda CBR 250RA

Name:  IMAG0142.jpg
Views: 15224
Size:  106.1 KB

Buying experience

Friday night! It was party time for me as I rode home my spanking black ceeber. I had taken multiple test rides at different Honda dealers to satisfy myself that I was making the right decision in spending so much of my hard earned money. Finally, I called up and visited the dealer who told me that I can get "immediate delivery". Awesome
Visited the dealer (Haiku Honda @ Domlur) and told them I want to purchase the bike with ABS. They had kept 2 bikes (one of them black, which I wanted) in the showroom. I said (out of some paranoia) that I don't want the one kept on the showroom floor. So, they obliged me by taking me to their godown and showed me 3 bikes which I religiously inspected and finally zeroed in on one.
Next up - paperwork. Signed the forms, etc. They got the bike from the godown to the showroom (about 2 minutes away) and started the PDI in my presence. When I was satisfied, I took the bike and left. Smooth process, no hassles, great buying experience from Haiku.

Freebies (?)

I got a teflon coating and seat covers free from the dealer. Also, servicing of this bike is at 6 month intervals. Jan, May and then December. 3 free services.

The Bike - looks

This is one awesome looker, no two ways about that. The styling is not flamboyant, but grabs eyeballs. The fat rear-tyre (yeah, everyone like this) is a sight to behold. So is the exhaust (some like it, some don't). The blue-backlit display unit is also eye-catching. All said and done, I loved her from the first time I set my eyes upon her.

The Bike - handling and performance

I am religious and a tad paranoid when it comes to running-in the engine. So, I keep the revs below 5k. But trust me, it is DIFFICULT! A twist of the throttle and the surge in power is immense. The speedo just races to 75 and then I have to ease off. I literally have to keep a watch on the tacho so that I don't exceed the limit.
Handling is a breeze. Effortless. Even in stop and go traffic, holding this bike steady is very easy (I used to do that with my ZMR also, but this is better). The exhaust note is also exhilerating. Of course, it gets better as the rpms increase.

The Good

Headlight is great. I had fit an HID on my ZMR, but I was NOT satisfied with it probably since the guys who fit it did a shoddy job of it. On this baby though, I don't think I need one. I don't do a lot of highway riding at night, so I'm happy with the 55W headlight. Haven't felt the need to use high beam yet, so there.
Seat is wide enough and comfortable.
Fit and finish is good. I didn't see any uneven gaps. Could have been better, but hey, I am not complaining.
There are no vibrations or weird noises. I had these noises with my ZMR from day 1 :( Depite tightening the fairing, etc. by the ASC folks, no improvement. With this bike, there are no unwanted sounds. Just the roar of the engine.

The Bad

Fully turning the handle causes it to touch the fairing, as in, there is a limit to which you can turn the handle and I feel that is quite less to get a small turning radius.
The horn is appalling. Wish I could fit my ZMR's twin horns on this baby. The sound of the horn is almost unnoticeable for a bike of this size and presence.
In stop and go traffic, the engine heat is feel-able on the calves. I haven't ridden this bike in shorts yet, it'll be worse. This was a problem with ZMR also but with this bike, the heat is a bit more.
Don't know where to put the helmet or helmet lock. I wish Honda had some accessories like a tail bag (like Goldwing) in which at least a helmet could fit. They release the bike with no support for these kinds of accessories.
The gear and rear brake pedals are quite uncomfortable. Need to flex your foot a lot to change the gear. In an emergency braking situation, it wastes precious milliseconds to flex your foot to bring it on top of the brake pedal. Could have probably been designed better. In continous stop-and-go traffic, this is a cause of shin pain and possible knee pain.

The Ugly

The side stand! Horrible. I don't know why Honda didn't give a proper centre stand to support the weight of this motorcycle. The logic (I was told by the dealer) is that there is no center stand in super bikes. I find that hard to digest since super bikes are generally heavier and need more support. In India, the curbs and roads are so non-standard, uneven and sometimes potholed, that you actually have to THINK where to park the bike so that it won't fall over to it's side. With a center stand, this would have been a no-brainer. Sorely miss it.
Haven't ridden in the rain or on watery roads, so I don't know if the small front mudgard is incapable (as reported in other reviews)

Overall, I give it a total thumbs-up

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th December 2011 at 08:17. Reason: removing smiley
farhadtarapore is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 17:50   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Initial review on the Honda CBR 250RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
So, they obliged me by taking me to their godown and showed me 3 bikes which I religiously inspected and finally zeroed in on one.
Good on you for the PDI!

Quote:
I got a teflon coating
You haven't read our opinions on teflon, have you . We don't recommend it at all.

Quote:
So, I keep the revs below 5k. But trust me, it is DIFFICULT!
Always difficult to run-in Hondas. That's why all the 3 Hondas I've bought have been used . Redline from day 1 itself.

Great unbiased review. Thanks for sharing, and please ride safe
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 18:02   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Initial review on the Honda CBR 250R ABS

Hey congrats on the new bike. I absolutely love the suspension setup of this bike in city. No need to be so tensed about the running-in, just keep varying the rpm, dont lug the engine, avoid sudden acceleration and braking, and do the timely oil changes. That is pretty much about it.
Looking forward to some pictures of the new acquisition.
Motormania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 18:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Visited the dealer (Haiku Honda @ Domlur) and told them I want to purchase the bike with ABS. They had kept 2 bikes (one of them black, which I wanted) in the showroom. I said (out of some paranoia) that I don't want the one kept on the showroom floor. So, they obliged me by taking me to their godown and showed me 3 bikes which I religiously inspected and finally zeroed in on one.
Congrats and thanks for sharing your purchase experience. Upload some pics of bike as well.
Does haiku honda has ready stock of ABS or non ABS variant as well?. My friend is contemplating buying a CBR.
djay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 18:31   #5
BHPian

Congrats
I have been hearing a lot that the bike is available off the shelve now comparing to what we guys waited for months.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 18:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice review there! Yeah, I had to wait for close to 3 months for the delivery of the bike. Good to hear that it is now available off the shelf.

Yup, don't think any sports bikes have center stands. This is primarily (CMIIAW) so that it won't drag when you are scraping your knee around corners.

Good luck and ride safe!
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 19:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Farhad. I am so madly in love with this bike but wifey wouldnt let me buy :( I am so jealous of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

You haven't read our opinions on teflon, have you . We don't recommend it at all.
GTO I respectfully beg to differ. I had a HH karizma for almost 5 years and each year I got it teflon coated (Used to cost me 500 bucks). At the time when I sold it, it still looked like spanking new! This, when all the time it was parked in open (and had to endure all the Noida sunshine/rains/fog/pollution etc etc). For the last 2 years I barely used the bike as I'd acquired a car as well which became my primary commuter (coz of Noida weather). My dad has a Honda scooter that (paint) started looking old/jaded after 2-3 years (needless to say he never bothered with any polishing).

I am a big admirer of Teflon coating because of my past experience. The bike even survived many scratches and all! I had bought it for 72k and since it still looked so new (esp the paint), I got 40k even after 5 years!
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 19:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
.......teflon coated (Used to cost me 500 bucks).
But seriously, what is the "teflon" coating that is used? Wax polish?

Last edited by naveenroy : 6th December 2011 at 19:39. Reason: Forgot to add a smiley.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 20:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am religious and a tad paranoid when it comes to running-in the engine.
If you're serious about ^^^, then you're wasting your time on the below!!!

Quote:
So, I keep the revs below 5k
Go through owner's manual & show me the line where the manufacturer says to keep below 5K!!! Someone or somehow everyone fantasize Ninja, but can't afford to buy one & follow the Ninja's run in procedure for CBR...guess that makes them happy

And the teflon thing...is waste of money, anyway, it doesn't matter in your case as its free

Regarding the main stand, its due to the weight & the energy that's required to pull the 165+ Kgs makes cumbersome, add to that, personally, main stands are insults to a sports bike.

BTW, welcome to the club

Last edited by aargee : 6th December 2011 at 20:11.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 20:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
But seriously, what is the "teflon" coating that is used? Wax polish?
Heres the procedure explained
http://bikeadvice.in/teflon-coating-bike-guide/
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 21:19   #11
BHPian

Congrats on the bike.

The main stand is better off omitted. Main stands touch the ground while tilting the bike in a curve, and hence robbing it off its sportiness. This is one of the concerns on the P220.

If you are worried about keeping the bike on uneven/broken surfaces, or on inclines, don't be. Its more stable on a side stand in most such cases.
SilkDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 21:50   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Congrats and thanks for sharing your purchase experience. Upload some pics of bike as well.
Does haiku honda has ready stock of ABS or non ABS variant as well?. My friend is contemplating buying a CBR.
Yes, Haiku Honda at domlur has ready stock available.

Thanks for your comments guys... Will upload pics soon

Quote:
Congrats Farhad. I am so madly in love with this bike but wifey wouldnt let me buy :( I am so jealous of you.
I told wifey dear only after I rode the bike home

Last edited by v12 : 7th December 2011 at 09:19.
farhadtarapore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 22:35   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

So have you triggered the ABS yet!?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 04:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, we were there at the Haiku Honda dealership few weeks back to look specifically for a Dio color (to be bought at my hometown). While wife and kidddo were busy choosing the Dio color i got busy with this wonderfully looking bike. One of the best looking bike for 1.7L OTR Bangalore i must say.

Awaiting for some pictures
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 07:18   #15
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
GTO I respectfully beg to differ. I had a HH karizma for almost 5 years and each year I got it teflon coated (Used to cost me 500 bucks). At the time when I sold it, it still looked like spanking new! This, when all the time it was parked in open (and had to endure all the Noida sunshine/rains/fog/pollution etc etc). For the last 2 years I barely used the bike as I'd acquired a car as well which became my primary commuter (coz of Noida weather).
I am a big admirer of Teflon coating because of my past experience. The bike even survived many scratches and all! I had bought it for 72k and since it still looked so new (esp the paint), I got 40k even after 5 years!
Thank the wax coating you did just prior to the so called Teflon coating. Please go to the Dupont site the makers of Teflon and read up about it and how the application of Teflon is done by Dupont.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote