Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 28th December 2011, 13:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Bike for a matured rider. EDIT - Bought a '94 RoadKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
True. I am unable to get a Mech with whom I can go to check out the bikes. I dont have much idea about the Yezdi. But thats is a point, I will surely follow.
They are very hard to come by. One near RV College road is very famous. He might have some restored bikes. But his asking prices are astronomical.

Quote:
Can you please enlightenment about the difference between the both.
I am not an expert about the tech jargon. But it has to do with the Ignition system. In the contact-points system, there was a known issue of the contact points losing symmetry(?) or some such and causing a lot of starting troubles. Roadkings which were produced after 1994-95 came with a CDI ignition system which ensured fewer starting troubles. You can change the ignition system from points to CDI but you need a good mech and the original parts. Other Yezdi experts can chip in with their comments/correct my explanation above.

Quote:
I have faced fuel tank rust in my last bike too. But I have never heard of engine rust.
Sorry my mistake. I said both were busted! In case of the fuel tank on my RK, there was no indication of rust to the naked eye. Only when i tanked it up did it start leaking and it became evident that the fuel tank was rusted/leaking. In case of the engine, i could not take the bike beyond 50kmph. It used to get strained to cross this speed and the engine sounded very coarse. It is better if you can check for these issues when you do land up with a well maintained RK. All the best with your hunt!
abhinav.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 11:22   #32
BHPian

*Update*

After looking at couple of bikes, I must say the finding a good bike is hard job. But there is fun in the hunt too!

There is one bike which my friend has found for me. Need to have a look this weekend.

Meanwhile, got this checklist from a friend, sharing it.

1. Can't guarantee engine state by sound/performance. Even a sealed engine with original piston makes noise and even local pistons can be quiet and give good performance. The trouble is that local pistons wear out in a snap and seize on the highway.
2. check for tyres. Each tyre costs 3K today.
3. Check for punching - match nos on RC book and chassis/engine
4. Check for rear mugduard welding and rear tail lamp stay welding
5. Remove seat and see underbody of seat and chassis for rusting /welding
6. Front mudguard - rusting/welding - if the rivets are very prominent- then its likely to be a local one.
7. Silencers and bendpipe - welding/rusting - check for leaks and other damage
8. Stand - the bike shoudn't wobble while on center stand - if so then the stand pin is gone - very hard to get.
9. Spokes shouldn't be missing
10 - V imp - check for seat lock - very expensive nowadays
11. Most importantly ensure that the bike has the right panels , tank and headlamp assy as per its model. RK design you must be knowing,
12.1990 model was the last CB Points setup. All later ones are CDI

The Melting Pot
mac187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 18:03   #33
BHPian

*Update*

The long wait has finally ended. Few days ago a know acquaintance called me and told me that he is looking to sell his bike a '94 Roadking. Few calls later, I saw 'The King' for the first time in pictures.

First look, I like the originality in the bike. The paint and decals needed some attention. The bike was running on a local piston with .5 size bore and Jikov carb. The seller quoted his price and we settled on the same (without seeing the bike!).

Last evening saw 'The King' in flesh, and heard that intoxicating beat when he was roared to life.

Cut to 9am today morning, I was at the seller place with the cash and by 9:30am I was riding out to office. More details and anecdotes later.

My pride - 'The King'
Attached Images

Last edited by mac187 : 10th February 2012 at 18:04.
mac187 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 18:20   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cut to 9am today morning, I was at the seller place with the cash and by 9:30am I was riding out to office. More details and anecdotes later. My pride - 'The King'
Congrats on the bike Mac. Finally you found the "King" you wanted. Looks really good in the pics. Front tyres seem to be almost new in the pics at least. Chrome work is also looking alright for a 94' model bike.

Please put up the ride impressions when you find time!
abhinav.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 20:19   #35
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Mac! Great choice!

I've known that bike and the previous owner for 5 years. That is indded a great bike to have! Especially it has that aluminium airbox which came in just a few '81 Roadkings
SunnyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 14:50   #36
BHPian

Quote:
There seems to be a majority towards RE here.
And rightly so.

I was a bullet owner for almost a decade. It happened to be the 1980's bullet. That machine required a fair amount of maintenance (which was not at all too costly comparing it with any 150cc bike mantainence)and it was used single handedly. But the newer generation RE's with UCE engines are robust and really value for money.

Think about it, it has the charms of a big big bike and has the reputation of the King of bikes in India.

The latest 500cc UCE is a charm and has way too much power. Its a 500 cc with all the features of any international bike at such tempting price.

The 500 Thunderbird looks fantastic and feels so much like a plush upmarket bike - Royal Enfield-Thunderbird 500

It would definitely fit your budget, if not, just slightly more.

The main factor is reliability which I must say Royal Enfield has evolved as a brand here in India. Especially in the last 10 years they have really worked hard on reliability aspect of the bike and the result is quality parts have been installed on the bike. Since the popularity has grown in huge numbers it shows on the sales figures of these bikes. Even if so, the parts of the bike are damn cheap manufactured from the company itself, hence the maintenance (if at all it requires) is not that heavy on the pocket.

One of the fun factor of the bike is that you have tonnes of options to modify the bike cosmetically as well as performance wise. Esp the STD or the Electra version. I changed my bikes look every 4 years and still was never bored.

Earlier only a few people would have thought to buy the bike but in last few years the numbers have gone huge.

Both the bikes 500 and 350 UCE are marvels of engineering. But i would recommend a 500cc UCE which I believe would be your first and last bike that would be your side for the rest of your life.

Quote:
*Update*

The long wait has finally ended. Few days ago a know acquaintance called me and told me that he is looking to sell his bike a '94 Roadking. Few calls later, I saw 'The King' for the first time in pictures.

First look, I like the originality in the bike. The paint and decals needed some attention. The bike was running on a local piston with .5 size bore and Jikov carb. The seller quoted his price and we settled on the same (without seeing the bike!).

Last evening saw 'The King' in flesh, and heard that intoxicating beat when he was roared to life.

Cut to 9am today morning, I was at the seller place with the cash and by 9:30am I was riding out to office. More details and anecdotes later.

My pride - 'The King'
Ironically i didnt see this post and quoted all the things above.

Sorry for that .

This is a pure 2 stroke legend and all the best for the ownership.

For reference there is a lot of info on Xbhp (look for user Srini) he is also another veteran in Yezdi's.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th February 2012 at 00:09.
The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 20:38   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Congrats on the bike Mac. Finally you found the "King" you wanted. Looks really good in the pics. Front tyres seem to be almost new in the pics at least. Chrome work is also looking alright for a 94' model bike.

Please put up the ride impressions when you find time!
Thanks. The tyres were news and were priced additional. Currently, I am running on a MRF Nylo grip. It has around 2-3k kms left in them. The chrome is factory spec as the paint. It is not a good idea to chrome the silencers more than twice as the bike will lose its unique sound. I will put up the ride impressions shortly, It was a fun first day for me, a different feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Congrats Mac! Great choice!

I've known that bike and the previous owner for 5 years. That is indded a great bike to have! Especially it has that aluminium airbox which came in just a few '81 Roadkings
Thanks SunnyBoi, I have known Sandeep since Xbhp days, I know he keeps his bike well. So when he rang up about the bike, I was all excited. The aluminium airbox real utility is that it is not prone to breakage as the plastics ones. I have a plastic one on currently, if it breaks then would switch to the aluminium airbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
This is a pure 2 stroke legend and all the best for the ownership.

For reference there is a lot of info on Xbhp (look for user Srini) he is also another veteran in Yezdi's.
It is truly a 2 stroke legend. I bought the bike from a xbhp user Sandeep_K_Ram.
Old 15th February 2012, 16:48   #38
BHPian

Default Life with a Roadking

I am back with my ride report. The excitement has now settled but the smile does come back when I see ‘The King’ in all his glory.

Friday, February 10, 2012

I took the delivery of the bike from the previous owner. He taught me how to start the bike with a few practice sessions. He gave an oil can with 500ml of oil, the oil was a mixture of 2T and 4T oil in 60:40 ratio. The reason he told me is that Yezdi owner’s manual dictates a single grade oil of SAE 50 which is not retailed anymore. Hence he has devised this mixture which ensures both smoothness and less exhaust fumes.

After exchanging a few pleasantries, I was off. I was scared that the bike may stop in the middle of the road and I would make a fool of myself not to mention I will be on the receiving end of Bangalore’s infamous road rage. Thankfully my ride to the fuel station was fine even though it had few intersections and a signal and ‘U’ turn. It may sound mundane to you but trust me I was really worried with thoughts like ‘Man, you don’t deserve this bike’ ‘It’s too much for you to handle’! I stopped the bike and filled 10 liters of fuel as for every liter of fuel 50ml oil is required.

When I was at the fuel station I received a call from the previous owner
‘Hello’
‘Hey dude, you are changing gears at higher rmps. Please change gears at lower rmps’!
(embarrassed) ‘Ok’
‘Shake the bike well after filling the fuel and oil’
‘Ok’

My mind was too focused on how to start the bike. I pumped the bike twice and then kicked with all the power in my left leg, vola, The King roared to life. I was proud of myself and rode on confidently. Just two intersections later the bike slowly died on me. My over-zealous nature had forgotten to turn the fuel back on. Pushed the bike to side, fuel back on, one kick and bike starts. I got confident 'Yeah, I can really do this' and enjoyed my 25 odd kms ride towards my office. I took a road that would lead me a 10km section of tolled road (Nice). There I rode the bike with a peaceful mind, touching 80 kmph max as instructed by the previous owner.

The seating position on the bike is very different compared to my Pulsar 150 V1 or any other bike I have ridden. The high handle bars give a masculine feel to the ride. The bike pulls really well from 0 – 60, since the gear shifts should be at lower rpms it’s not ideal to time the bike. But the torque of a 2 Stroke is evident. Unlike 4 stroke bikes which can run in the same speed all day long, these bikes cannot do that, running it in the same speed for long would mean risking the piston and bore as the oil in the engine would get washed out fast with the constant supply for fuel. With the current set-up I cannot risk the bike with full throttle style riding but I am the first off the block and few seconds later, everyone else overtakes me It is good to know the limitations of the bike beforehand rather than blame the bike for its short comings. I am glad that I know these issues, so my expectations from the bike are real.

I reached office with a smile on my face, which lasted for the rest of the day. The ride back home was very pleasant I didn’t stop the bike at any signals which resulted in excess heat from the bike. Lesson learnt - Need to learn to start the bike at will. Switching off at signals is mandatory now.

There was residue of fuel/ oil on the tank. Not sure if it was due to the tank being almost full or my poor hand-eye coordination skills under pressure while filling the oil. Anyway, the previous owner suggested to look for fuel filter which was used in erstwhile Bajaj Chetak scooters, as it would help in preventing the fuel from directly splashing onto the fuel cap.

A big shout-out to Sandeep K Ram, thanks for the bike and a big thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Last edited by mac187 : 15th February 2012 at 16:54.
Old 16th June 2012, 00:03   #39
BHPian

Default Re: Bike for a matured rider. EDIT - Bought a '94 RoadKing

We Indians have very little history when it comes to vehicles. Yezdi is up there with Maruti 800.

I am glad I am part of that history. My love, RoadKing '94.
Old 16th June 2012, 21:59   #40
BHPian

I never know you had posted a thread on TBHP.

Just saw this thread today. Been some time since we caught up on this - hope everything is well.

Wish you a good time ahead with it.
Sandeep_K_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 10:57   #41
BHPian

*6 month usage Update*

The bike was a breeze to ride everyday to work. I used to look forward for the rides each day more than anything. Lately it used to take alot of kicks to get it started. Due to the rains, I haven't used the bike much but when I try to start it, it just doesn't start. Not sure if its due to keeping the bike idle for a long time or something is wrong with the bike. Need to get it checked.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Old 26th July 2012, 12:38   #42
BHPian

Quote:

With the current set-up I cannot risk the bike with full throttle style riding but I am the first off the block and few seconds later, everyone else overtakes me
What is your "current set-up"? Get used to the bike's character, dont bother with the antics of the Pulsar boys
Take the bike out on some highway rides, see how she opens up when properly warmed up! She will literally sing! Ideally you shouldn't have any issues cruising at 90kph for, say, 20km stretches.

Quote:
The ride back home was very pleasant I didnít stop the bike at any signals which resulted in excess heat from the bike. Lesson learnt - Need to learn to start the bike at will. Switching off at signals is mandatory now.
Sufficient cooling of the engine is ensured when air flows about the fins when bike is moving. Running an air-cooled engine stationary is never good for it anyway.
Kickstarting will soon become second-nature to you. Folks at signals will gawk at the smooth kickstart routine of a Yezdi rider. I love the wide range of reactions at traffic lights! You'll come home with a smile even from your worst days at office

Quote:
There was residue of fuel/ oil on the tank...
Anyway, the previous owner suggested to look for fuel filter which was used in erstwhile Bajaj Chetak scooters, as it would help in preventing the fuel from directly splashing onto the fuel cap.
Fuel spillage/evaporation from the filler cap is a chronic problem with the Yezdi fuel caps. Fuel evaporates and the oil settles around the filler cap. Try installing a second gasket into the cap, or use a Yezdi head gasket instead. If the cap fits nice and tight, it prevents this evaporation.

Quote:
Lately it used to take alot of kicks to get it started. Due to the rains, I haven't used the bike much but when I try to start it, it just doesn't start. Not sure if its due to keeping the bike idle for a long time or something is wrong with the bike. Need to get it checked.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
How long was the bike stationary? These bikes will start even after months of cold-storage. Clean the carb and fuel filter, check spark and check/set the points (if its a points bike). Try getting yourself a glass bottle filter with the magnet inside. It makes sure atleast some of the metal particles from the fuel are filtered out. It can be opened and cleaned periodically too.

Looks like you've got yourself a good clean motorcycle. She won't ask for much. Do justice to her, be servile, humble and earn her love. Buy her something nice once in a while. She'll be faithful. Congratulations!

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 12:55   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
How long was the bike stationary? These bikes will start even after months of cold-storage. Clean the carb and fuel filter, check spark and check/set the points (if its a points bike). Try getting yourself a glass bottle filter with the magnet inside. It makes sure atleast some of the metal particles from the fuel are filtered out. It can be opened and cleaned periodically too.
+1. The glass filter is much more useful, you can even check if there is water in the tank. Any water would settle down on the bottom of the filter and you can easily see it.

If you are in Mysore, swing by the RE showroom. Last I saw they had stocks of these filters, around 60-70rs each.
SunnyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 14:11   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
If you are in Mysore, swing by the RE showroom. Last I saw they had stocks of these filters, around 60-70rs each.
Most auto parts shops have these filters, albeit cheap quality (usually with an OFFWHITE plastic cap). The better ones are the original Pacco filters with a grey cap. These have a fine metal mesh filter inside, in addition to the magnet. They're available freely in Delhi at Karolbagh where the Pacco dealer is. Vonly fifty rupees, negotiable!

Cheers,
Rahul

PS: The shop's got Pacco carbs available too! But Mac187, stick with your Jikov, mine plasters a smile on my face every time I let her rip!
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 14:37   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Most auto parts shops have these filters, albeit cheap quality (usually with an OFFWHITE plastic cap). The better ones are the original Pacco filters with a grey cap. These have a fine metal mesh filter inside, in addition to the magnet. They're available freely in Delhi at Karolbagh where the Pacco dealer is. Vonly fifty rupees, negotiable!
The shop I referred to sells Pacco filters
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote