Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 27th July 2012, 15:11   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Bike for a matured rider. EDIT - Bought a '94 RoadKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
What is your "current set-up"?
Currently it runs on Jikov carb and .5 size bore. The tyres have very little life in them.

Quote:
Kickstarting will soon become second-nature to you. Folks at signals will gawk at the smooth kickstart routine of a Yezdi rider. I love the wide range of reactions at traffic lights! You'll come home with a smile even from your worst days at office
I know what you mean, I too experienced that, Its truly fun. During night the smoke from the exhaust becomes x2 due to the light from the vehicles standing behind me. Then I quickly switch off the bike and wait till its 5 seconds to green.

Quote:
Fuel spillage/evaporation from the filler cap is a chronic problem with the Yezdi fuel caps. Fuel evaporates and the oil settles around the filler cap. Try installing a second gasket into the cap, or use a Yezdi head gasket instead. If the cap fits nice and tight, it prevents this evaporation.
I couldnt find the right gasket, that was my first try. The Chetak filter works fine, It has reduces the evaporation alot. Just that, I need to be careful in removing it at fuel pumps before the fuel gun is put in the tank. Its not a tight fit, so it will drop into the tank if pushed hard.

Quote:
How long was the bike stationary? Clean the carb and fuel filter, check spark and check/set the points (if its a points bike). Try getting yourself a glass bottle filter with the magnet inside.
The bike has been stationary for 1 month now. I have changed the spark plug to get it started but it didnt work. Its a CDI bike, hence no issue of points. Need to get the carb cleaned and get a fuel filter.

Last edited by mac187 : 27th July 2012 at 15:16.
mac187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 15:29   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
During night the smoke from the exhaust becomes x2 due to the light from the vehicles standing behind me. Then I quickly switch off the bike and wait till its 5 seconds to green.

The bike has been stationary for 1 month now. I have changed the spark plug to get it started but it didnt work. Its a CDI bike, hence no issue of points. Need to get the carb cleaned and get a fuel filter.
How much and which oil are you running? Is it still the mix of oils that the previous owner gave you? If you switch, use the 2T oil satchets at the petrol bunk, 40ml per litre.

Was the bike running fine before she was parked? What spec plug did you put in? Mico W175Z1 or Champion L82YC recommended. Did you check the spark on the new plug?
Although the carb shouldn't really choke/gum up in a month, clean it out anyway. Clean up the fuel tank too before putting in a new filter.

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 13:25   #48
BHPian

Sorry for the late reply. I couldn't get the bike fixed for a month. They my Mech came down and fixed the bike in 15mins. He cleaned the Carb, changed the spark plug. I got some fresh petrol and the bike rored to life.

Update:
Few items replaced.
1. Got a new tyre for the front wheel, brand CEAT.
2. Replaced rear brake pads
3. Added mufflers to the silence as I would be using it everyday.
4. Got a petrol filter with magnet, Brand Pacco.

Currently, I am using the bike as a daily ride. No problem is morning starts or even starting after 2 days. In traffic bike roars to life in single kick.

Quote:
How much and which oil are you running?
I am running 50 oil of which 30 is 2T (Gulf) and 20 is 4T (Castrol). I am not sure if its too rich but it does smoke alot, white smoke, which is fine during day time but in the dark, at signals with other vehicle lights, can see smoke everywhere.

Quote:
What spec plug did you put in? Mico W175Z1 or Champion L82YC recommended.
I changed over to W175z1 sparkplug, now it is running fine.
Old 12th December 2012, 13:51   #49
BHPian

Quote:
...and the bike rored to life.

Update:
Few items replaced...

Currently, I am using the bike as a daily ride. No problem is morning starts or even starting after 2 days. In traffic bike roars to life in single kick...
Great! You also sound a lot more comfortable with the bike now.

Quote:
I am running 50 oil of which 30 is 2T (Gulf) and 20 is 4T (Castrol). I am not sure if its too rich but it does smoke alot, white smoke, which is fine during day time but in the dark, at signals with other vehicle lights, can see smoke everywhere..
I dont understand the 30ml of 4T. Factory recommended 30ml per litre for the Roadking, and 2T should work just fine. If you've finished run-in after a re-bore, you can cut back to 30-40ml. This is what I run (premixed 3% 2T is available in Pune where I am) and there's no issues with excessive smoke. On long runs I use 50-60ml per litre, 20W40 instead of 2T, just for peace of mind.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 12th December 2012, 16:59   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I changed over to W175z1 sparkplug, now it is running fine.
Mac,
First Of all Congrats for your Bike, She does look very neat. Do post in a few more pictures of the bike for reader's pleasure. Regarding the Spark Plug I would suggest you to use NGK B6HS spark plug for City Usage and NGK B7HS spark plug for the highways. They are very good compared to the MICO Spark plugs, They might be a tad expensive but they are worth every penny.

Quote:
e. On long runs I use 50-60ml per litre, 20W40 instead of 2T, just for peace of mind.

Cheers,
Rahul
Rahul,
Use the same configuration, use the shell premix petrol with a 3% ratio for city usage. Use the 20W40 Engine Oil for highways. But only concern would be the smoke it emanates and sometimes feel guilty of spoiling mother nature
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 17:52   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
...I would suggest you to use NGK B6HS spark plug for City Usage and NGK B7HS spark plug for the highways. They are very good compared to the MICO Spark plugs, They might be a tad expensive but they are worth every penny.
Thanks for the suggestion. Some questions:
1) Can you elaborate on the perceived difference in performance between NGK and Bosch/Champion?
2) Considering it isn't the multi-electrode type, did you need to change the HT cable?
3) What does the plug cost?
4) Why B6 for city and B7 for highway? Any noticeable difference between the two?
According to this, the NGK BP6HS is an alternative to the Champion L82YC.

I'm willing to try this if there is a positively a difference.

Cheers,
Rahul

Last edited by voodoochild : 12th December 2012 at 17:59.
Old 12th December 2012, 22:28   #52
Senior - BHPian

I can elaborate for Point 4. NGK 7 is a colder plug than 6, running 7 will make the engine run cooler than 6. Hence 7 for highway where engine will heat up?? and 6 in city when its cooler?! Bit confused here.
SunnyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 11:26   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Some questions:
1) Can you elaborate on the perceived difference in performance between NGK and Bosch/Champion?
2) Considering it isn't the multi-electrode type, did you need to change the HT cable?
3) What does the plug cost?
4) Why B6 for city and B7 for highway? Any noticeable difference between the two?
According to this, the NGK BP6HS is an alternative to the Champion L82YC.

I'm willing to try this if there is a positively a difference.

Cheers,
Rahul
Rahul,
My responses to your queries

1) NGK Vs Bosch/Champion --> Quality standards. There might be lot of people views but i would suggest you to test it before you buy the argument.
2) HT Cable --> Nopes have retained the Stock Cable; the stock cable is sufficient to transfer the charge without harming itself with near zero resistance
3) Plug Cost --> Fancy prices can be expected but my common sense says that it should not go more than 250 to 300 Rs. If you can import them you will get a box of 10 for around 20 USD, throw in around 26% as duty and an overall 2.5% as Postal Charges.
4) B6 has a higher tolerance for Oil splurge at low speeds compared to B7. Hence the suggestible applications.

Last edited by ku69rd : 13th December 2012 at 11:29.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 11:28   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I can elaborate for Point 4. NGK 7 is a colder plug than 6, running 7 will make the engine run cooler than 6. Hence 7 for highway where engine will heat up?? and 6 in city when its cooler?! Bit confused here.
Sunny,
Yes that's also another feature where you go one step cold.

@ Mods,
Can you please merge my 2 posts into one. Appears that I overlooked Sunny's reply
Old 13th December 2012, 12:01   #55
BHPian

Quote:
3) Plug Cost --> Fancy prices can be expected but my common sense says that it should not go more than 250 to 300 Rs. If you can import them you will get a box of 10 for around 20 USD, throw in around 26% as duty and an overall 2.5% as Postal Charges.
So they are available off the shelf in India? I am hoping to buy them at the local auto parts store in Pune. Am not too comfortable with online shopping.

Quote:
4) B6 has a higher tolerance for Oil splurge at low speeds compared to B7. Hence the suggestible applications.
Other than the B6 being more self-cleaning than the B7 at low revs, I doubt there's a substantial difference in performance between the two. But I'll give them both a try and then report.

Thanks for the info!

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 13th December 2012, 12:10   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Other than the B6 being more self-cleaning than the B7 at low revs,
Cheers,
Rahul
Rahul,
Not quite sure if you might get it off the shelf in India considering that 2strokers are a dying tribe. There is a decent demand in Bangalore but availability is open to a few stores only. Else any speciality shop can source it for you.

From my experience, B7 is not suggestible for city usage, highway is where you can see the difference. B7s tend to get fouled more in city compared to Highway. But if you ride on decent roads where you can maintain a cruising speed of 60 Kays then go for it and do keep us posted of your experiences.
Old 13th December 2012, 15:06   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Great! You also sound a lot more comfortable with the bike now.
Thanks, I feel confident.

Quote:
I dont understand the 30ml of 4T. Factory recommended 30ml per litre for the Roadking, and 2T should work just fine. If you've finished run-in after a re-bore, you can cut back to 30-40ml.
As you know on the fuel cap, it is given as 'Mix SAE 50 oil petrol in ratio, in first 1500kms 1:16 later 1:20' so I put 50ml oil for every liter of petrol. However, of the 50ml oil, 30 ml is 2T oil and 20ml is 4T oil coz we dont get SAE 50 grade oil anymore. Post reboring the bike has run 1500kms, I will be taking it for service at 2000kms. However, the previous owner suggested to continue this oil setup forward.

Since you use only 2T oil, do you get any smoke at all? I have observed that with 2T oil, my bike didnt smoke much.

Quote:
Mac,
First Of all Congrats for your Bike, She does look very neat. Do post in a few more pictures of the bike for reader's pleasure. Regarding the Spark Plug I would suggest you to use NGK B6HS spark plug for City Usage and NGK B7HS spark plug for the highways.
Thanks. I will take some picture over the weekend and post them. My friend too runs on NGK, but the main issue is finding original ones. We do you buy spark plugs from?

Last edited by mac187 : 13th December 2012 at 15:09.
Old 13th December 2012, 15:14   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I will take some picture over the weekend and post them. My friend too runs on NGK, but the main issue is finding original ones. We do you buy spark plugs from?
Mac,
Generally I pick it up from Power Crest; incidentally its run by my Uncle. Power Crest is located in Vyalikaval, Oppsite Hotel Rajesh. Else you can search in the JC Road for it, probably Tirumala opposite Minerva hotel can get you some.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote