Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2011, 21:54   #31
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,506
Thanked: 2,072 Times
Default Re: What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?

Quote:
What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?
Hi,
I think the Occident calls it 'mid life crisis'. For which you have the Jeep!
But seriously, regardless of the bike you choose, get yourself the best possible riding gear. A spill at 40+ is not the same as a spill when 20. It hurts much more. Healing takes longer.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 22:01   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,427
Thanked: 875 Times
Default Re: What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
A spill at 40+ is not the same as a spill when 20. It hurts much more. Healing takes longer.
That is precisely the reason my family is not very enthusiastic! Even when the health is normal, the healing process will slow down. The mind knows it, but the heart rebels!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 22:44   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,799
Thanked: 983 Times
Default Re: What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
I think the Occident calls it 'mid life crisis'. For which you have the Jeep!
But seriously, regardless of the bike you choose, get yourself the best possible riding gear. A spill at 40+ is not the same as a spill when 20. It hurts much more. Healing takes longer.

Regards
Sutripta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
That is precisely the reason my family is not very enthusiastic! Even when the health is normal, the healing process will slow down. The mind knows it, but the heart rebels!
That is precisely the reason am speculating between a 250 and a 650. Secondly no intention ever of showing off with other capable riders. Basically just to fulfill my biking desire alone.

And regarding budget. I think I had mentioned 2-5 Lakhs. while the lower limit is something I can go for outrightly, the upper limit, will have to tide over family and my bank!
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 23:29   #34
BHPian
 
stnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calicut
Posts: 230
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post

Age is one thing - capability to handle it is another. With all the history and legacy - I am bulletphobic. - I can't think of handling that monster. God forbid if I come under it - someone will have to summon a crane to get the monster off my slender frame.
Bullet is heavy (180Kg). Yet some of the bikes under your consideration are equally heavy:

Hyosung 650: 191Kg

Honda CBR600: 178Kg (Dry)

Ninja 650: 200Kg (Dry)

Anyway as a Bullet owner, Its my policy not to compel anyone else to buy a Bullet. I feel it has to be one's own choice.

regards
san
stnair is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 23:36   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,799
Thanked: 983 Times
Talking Re: What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
Bullet is heavy (180Kg). Yet some of the bikes under your consideration are equally heavy:

Hyosung 650: 191Kg

Honda CBR600: 178Kg (Dry)

Ninja 650: 200Kg (Dry)

Anyway as a Bullet owner, Its my policy not to compel anyone else to buy a Bullet. I feel it has to be one's own choice.

regards
san
Absolutely not! Never felt like you were compelling. This is a democratic forum and the main purpose of putting up my post was to get expert advise from established bikers to help me make up my mind.

Thanks for the weights! I was able to manage the CBR 250 very easily. Never felt like I was lugging 168 kgs. Never once felt nervous handling it except initially when I didn't know where the foot pegs were.. :P I loved the non-reds, they were very graceful yet growling at you when you approach them! But once I threw my leg over the saddle of the red, it hugged me close! I wasn't even wearing sneakers (I was wearing loafers then)

So a lil less than 200 kgs I personally believe will be comfortable.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 00:04   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,799
Thanked: 983 Times
Default Re: What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?

Another one jumps on to the bandwagon

The Suzuki GW250 is speculated to make its debut in the Indian market at the 2012 Auto Expo. Let us now roll our eye balls on some of the specifications of the bike; Suzuki GW250 isnít a full fared bike like CBR250R rather it is more of a naked street bike. The GW250 is equipped with 250cc liquid cooled 4 stoke engine that is capable of producing a maximum power of 26Bhp @8500Rpm and a maximum torque of 24Nm @ 7000Rpm. All in all, Suzuki has already planned to take on its competitors like Honda and others with its 250cc bike. We will have to wait and see if the company succeeds in making a statement in the Indian market or ends up taking a blow from its peers.

Source: http://bikeadvice.in/suzuki-gw250-pr...s-china-india/
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 02:54   #37
BHPian
 
gautamkhadse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: pune
Posts: 259
Thanked: 153 Times
Default Re: What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?

Well there's also apache 250 doing the rumors and there's nothing as raw powered as an apache (IMHO)

Hav you considered spending a lil more and maybe taking a look at the Harley which is priced at 5 lakhs . IMO this would be the best bike for you .
gautamkhadse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 08:21   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
Ajaybiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,354
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?

Shubz please dont call me sir and i would be happy if i can help you out in getting one good RD, ofcource not mine .
And yes life starts with RD, it gives me imspiration for life, without RD's i'll be a dead person.
Anyways first decide on what you want and let me know if RD will do for you or you need a four stroke, today i am going for my RXZ makeover at my mechanics place near Urvashi theatre and tomorrow for RD meet at Kanteerava stadium you can come done to watch over 100 RD's roaring together. PM me if you are really keen on old 2 stroke or even 4 stroke bikes.

Last edited by Ajaybiz : 10th December 2011 at 08:25.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 09:00   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
IQBAL VEERJI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SAAT BUNGLA, BAMBAI.
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
I don't know what you youngsters would call this. I just stepped into my 40's and people around me always say "Upgrade to a SUV" but here I am active on a bike forum asking this question... What bike for this ole' man?!

Prelude: I am sold to the KTM 200! Just waiting for the bookings to open to book one.

Already firmed my visit to Auto Expo 2012 to check out more upcoming stuff!

My mind set on a few more options.

Honda's upcoming 250 VTR 250 - but when?
Yamaha FZ 250 (almost ruled out cos of its styling)
Ninja 250/650 - 2012 ( ruled out as its too expensive for my liking)
Honda CBR600F - again when? and how much?
Hyosung 650N (ruled out for two things - I don't like the way its exhaust stands out. and Garware Motors yet to settle in with their service etc)

What would I use the bike for?

Mostly non-office commute (read - Weekend ride) and sometimes Office commute as well (during non-rainy season)

So folks - What are your suggestions?

PS: I have posted a similar thread on the exclusive biking forum as well just and posting here too as I don't want to miss outputs from my brothers who aren't out there but in here!
Hi Boss, just 40, and going for those jap. speed,swift,quick bikes...a big NO.
I am 56,and still ride a graceful,sweet thug thug thg sound of engine,heavy,no dangrous overtaking, no sudden pickup,etc etc etc you will find in my LOVE a BULLET.
Go for the Bull, you will get a respect and heads turning by other road users when ever you pass them or come and stand next to them at a traffic light .Even policemen respect the Bull.
No one can beat a Bullet. Rubb Rakhaa.......
Attached Thumbnails
What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?-nari.jpg  

What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?-ban.jpg  

IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 12:32   #40
BHPian
 
Haroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jedda/Bangalore
Posts: 426
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?

As for age in biking its just another number & I believe - You dont stop riding because you get old, but get old because you stop riding!

As for bike choice, although suggestions & comments from others are only a mere pointer (one mans food is another mans poison), it finally boils down to you as the rider and what you want. I have seen a few people buying bikes and then learning this was not the right bike for them....

If you are not a Bullet person (as mentioned in one of your earlier replies) and if its mostly due to the reliability factor, then I suggest you wait until Auto Expo 2012 and make a decision. Like nairtvm mentioned in his post, the Triumph Bonneville if priced correctly will be an outsanding all round fun bike that you can probably keep for the next 20 or more years and still never tire of it. And 20 years later its still a Triumph (doesn't matter what model year)!

I am hoping it will hit the market around Rs 5 lacs mark. Its a bike well worth extending your budget for (if required).

Last edited by Haroon : 10th December 2011 at 12:34.
Haroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 13:37   #41
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 9
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?

I have to add my experience to what Haroon says. I am 42 and about late last year thought I would get me a bike after a break of over a decade. Went for the bullet suggestion, found the Thunderbird comfy and easier to handle and got one. Bucked the 7 month wait and got it in a week. After 3 rides, I realized I am not a bullet or a cruiser person. I owned an RX and a RD in the younger days and realized the "whoom" factor had'nt left me. I was falling asleep with the TB struggling to touch 0-60 in an hour or so, with all the vibrating drama!!
The TB is in the garage for the last 6 months with 800 kms on the clock, gets a bath twice a week. I am in the process of deciding between an FZ1 or a Bandit or some such upright bike.
Think about it. If budget is a limitation, CBR250 or KTM 200 will be really good for you. You dont have to go at 150, its the 0-60 that you need on a two hour Sunday morning ride.
If you like to go offroad a bit, why not the Hero Impulse. Its a scrambler. You could go exploring the lake beyond the hill on a Sunday morning...
Just my sincere opinion from a recent experience, that's all. Good luck on your bike shopping.
chetan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 17:21   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,799
Thanked: 983 Times
Default Re: What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Harley which is priced at 5 lakhs
Got to check out the Harleys too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Shubz please dont call me sir and i would be happy if i can help you out in getting one good RD, ofcource not mine .
And yes life starts with RD, it gives me imspiration for life, without RD's i'll be a dead person.
Anyways first decide on what you want and let me know if RD will do for you or you need a four stroke, today i am going for my RXZ makeover at my mechanics place near Urvashi theatre and tomorrow for RD meet at Kanteerava stadium you can come done to watch over 100 RD's roaring together. PM me if you are really keen on old 2 stroke or even 4 stroke bikes.
Something about you sounds familiar. May I know where are you put up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Hi Boss, just 40, and going for those jap. speed,swift,quick bikes...a big NO.
I am 56,and still ride a graceful,sweet thug thug thg sound of engine,heavy,no dangrous overtaking, no sudden pickup,etc etc etc you will find in my LOVE a BULLET.
Go for the Bull, you will get a respect and heads turning by other road users when ever you pass them or come and stand next to them at a traffic light .Even policemen respect the Bull.
No one can beat a Bullet. Rubb Rakhaa.......
Paaji - I have tremendous respect for the bull. But I know for myself that I am not a Bullet person. I wish I was endowed with more muscles ;-) The bullet will be ashamed to be carrying someone of my likes plus its reliability issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
As for age in biking its just another number & I believe - You dont stop riding because you get old, but get old because you stop riding!

As for bike choice, although suggestions & comments from others are only a mere pointer (one mans food is another mans poison), it finally boils down to you as the rider and what you want. I have seen a few people buying bikes and then learning this was not the right bike for them....

If you are not a Bullet person (as mentioned in one of your earlier replies) and if its mostly due to the reliability factor, then I suggest you wait until Auto Expo 2012 and make a decision. Like nairtvm mentioned in his post, the Triumph Bonneville if priced correctly will be an outsanding all round fun bike that you can probably keep for the next 20 or more years and still never tire of it. And 20 years later its still a Triumph (doesn't matter what model year)!

I am hoping it will hit the market around Rs 5 lacs mark. Its a bike well worth extending your budget for (if required).
Auto expo - Yes i will be there for sure. I hope we'd get to know the tentative pricing of the bikes that are lined up to be launched! Will surely help in deciding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan68 View Post
After 3 rides, I realized I am not a bullet or a cruiser person. . I was falling asleep with the TB struggling to touch 0-60 in an hour or so, with all the vibrating drama!!.
Without a ride, I know I am not a bullet person! No offense to the mighty bullet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan68 View Post
Think about it. If budget is a limitation, CBR250 or KTM 200 will be really good for you. You dont have to go at 150, its the 0-60 that you need on a two hour Sunday morning ride.
No way I'd want to break any speed barriers or compete against any racer. Its purely for what you mentioned - Cruise out on a weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan68 View Post
Good luck on your bike shopping.
I need it! Thank you!
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 18:09   #43
e46
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 234
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
... What bike for this ole' man?!

...

Honda's upcoming 250 VTR 250 - but when?
Yamaha FZ 250 (almost ruled out cos of its styling)
Ninja 250/650 - 2012 ( ruled out as its too expensive for my liking)
Honda CBR600F - again when? and how much?
Hyosung 650N (ruled out for two things - I don't like the way its exhaust stands out. and Garware Motors yet to settle in with their service etc)

..
The best bet for you, considering al your requirements would have been the CB400 super four. around 180~200 kgs of manageable weight, inline 4 engine, not too race focussed.. just the ideal bike for thousands of fellas like you and me.

but given Honda's sheer lackadaisical attitude towards Indian market, we are yet to see any of these gem bikes in India. till now its available only in Jap home market and Aus. hope HMSI brings it real fast.

my dream bike however is the CBR600F, again god knows when these would make out to our shores...

Abhishek
e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 19:50   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
Ajaybiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,354
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?

Shubz i am at Sarjapur signal Suncity, let me know if you are willing to join the RD ride, i'll be starting at 6:30 am.
Please see this topic as well. My latest hunt :(
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2606065
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 21:16   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
IQBAL VEERJI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SAAT BUNGLA, BAMBAI.
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Got to check out the Harleys too.



Something about you sounds familiar. May I know where are you put up?



Paaji - I have tremendous respect for the bull. But I know for myself that I am not a Bullet person. I wish I was endowed with more muscles ;-) The bullet will be ashamed to be carrying someone of my likes plus its reliability issues.



Auto expo - Yes i will be there for sure. I hope we'd get to know the tentative pricing of the bikes that are lined up to be launched! Will surely help in deciding.



Without a ride, I know I am not a bullet person! No offense to the mighty bullet!



No way I'd want to break any speed barriers or compete against any racer. Its purely for what you mentioned - Cruise out on a weekend.



I need it! Thank you!
Hi Boss, Thanks a million,things are always happening to bulletiers , as for tomorrow we all around 450 bullets are riding to Azad Maidan to support Anna Hazare fight against corruption ,if I get a chance Iwill click photos and post it .
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you change tyres by age or by tread-wear/damage ? supremeBaleno Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 137 4th November 2017 12:13
To All those associated with IT Industry - Do you call yourself an IT Joe ? scopriobharath Shifting gears 32 22nd December 2011 16:44
What would you call this guy ? hellstar Street Experiences 41 20th February 2009 22:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:06.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks