Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 13th December 2011, 10:21   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?

Shubz what about super motard?
One Husky 610 is available(if you are lucky).
Perfect bike for Indian roads, super sprint and excellent off road bike.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 10:56   #62
Senior - BHPian

Shubz

At 40 you are obviously too young for a motorcycle.
Do not think about these machines. Doing so will only get you into trouble.

As a youngster of only 68 I can say these things based on years of knowledge gained after 46 years of riding them.

On the other hand, if you wish to emulate the actions of a youthful 68 year old motorcycle rider and you don't mind others pointing at you and saying,

"LOOK! An OLD guy riding a motorcycle!" then go ahead and have fun.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 16:20   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Shubz sorry to be OT only a wee bit

Ajay how come Husky ? Is Bangalore M planning to sell one of their's. Are you in any way linked to the outfit ?

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 16:51   #64
BHPian

Will pitch in with my thoughts as well.

To start with I'm just gonna say toss that 40 years 'badge' out of the closest window.

Buy the bike that appeals to your heart

1. A very important question that I didn't see answered in this thread is what is the kind of roads you intend on riding on weekends (Assuming that you are using the bike mostly for out of the city weekend rides)?

2. Do you at any point in time intend on carrying a pillion along with you?

3. What is the kind of per year mileage you intend on clocking on an average? (This will largely affect your running/maintenance costs)

I have noticed that you don't intend in investing in the Ninja's due to their prohibitive cost. So for now your best options are actually just the CBR 250R and the KTM Duke 200. At present there is nothing that seems to be making it to the market in that level of bikes, barring a 250 from Suzuki.

I'd suggest you hold on till the Duke 200 is out on the roads, you can ride the CBR and Duke and figure out if what appeals to your senses more. Though both bikes are very different in nature, you can still most of the things either bike can do.

As a parting point, *if* you think this will be the last bike you'd buy. I'd suggest break the bank and go for that Ninja 250R, its expensive to buy and its expensive if you drop it. But the bike is *perfect*. 28 years of evolution have got the bike where it is today! Just give it thought!
praful is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 17:19   #65
GSM
BHPian

Hi

I would happily recommend the Bullet Classic, despite their niggles, and maintenance troubles. [I own a TB350]. But, over a period of time, constant niggles can put one off from biking and in turn become an irritant. Though I am told that the new generation bulls (post 2009) are far better in these regard.

Personally, I have never been comfortable about its braking, thanks to the fish tail experiences I have had manytimes over. Still, I have not been able to sell it and go for any other bike.

I would ask you to stay clear of CBR250. Two guys I know, aren't exactly happy about their purchase, regretting every day for not stretching and going for the Ninja instead. May be, if Yamaha can come with Fazer 250, it could your ideal choice. In my view, Yams are more reliable than other Japs available in our country (excluding Ninja). They will also be priced around 1.8 to 2.0 Lakhs, definitely not more than that.

Cheers
GSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 17:30   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSM View Post
I would happily recommend the Bullet Classic, despite their niggles, and maintenance troubles. [I own a TB350]. But, over a period of time, constant niggles can put one off from biking and in turn become an irritant. Though I am told that the new generation bulls (post 2009) are far better in these regard.
Mate, please read the thread and see what the OP has said about Bullets. He does not want Bullets as he is not an RE type of guy.

Quote:
I would ask you to stay clear of CBR250. Two guys I know, aren't exactly happy about their purchase, regretting every day for not stretching and going for the Ninja instead.
This is subjective and this again has been said in this very thread. N250 is a high revving bike which makes its power high up the power band while the C250 is a more sedate bike with good low end torque. So it depends on personal preference. May be the guys you know wanted high revving bikes.

Shubz, sorry to step in, but suggestions are flowing which have already been discussed and discarded in the previous 4-5 pages.

I think you are smitten by the Duke and trust me. Just go ahead with what your heart yearns for. You will never regret it. But yes, try and take extended test ride on the choices you have shortlisted either from the showrooms or friends. The KTM should surely keep you interested since you are planning it only for weekend rides. You never know you might start riding more if you like what you are riding.
abhinav.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 17:41   #67
GSM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Mate, please read the thread and see what the OP has said about Bullets. He does not want Bullets as he is not an RE type of guy.

This is subjective and this again has been said in this very thread. N250 is a high revving bike which makes its power high up the power band while the C250 is a more sedate bike with good low end torque. So it depends on personal preference. May be the guys you know wanted high revving bikes.
Hi Abhinav, I saw his lack of preference for Bullets in the initial posts itself. Forgot to refer that. Thanks for reminding though!

On CBR, it is not the rev stuff that I was referring to, but niggles after niggles (Engine Heating, Oil Leakage, Some gear issues etc.). Waiting for Parts (waiting for over 50 days for a rear view mirror). Some of these issues are pretty much documented even by Forum members in the CBR thread.

Thanks again and Cheers!
GSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 17:42   #68
Senior - BHPian

Something to tickle your taste buds

2012 Ninja® 250R Sport - Kawasaki.com

You might have already gone through it, but still telling you that this bike meets your requirements. NOTE: Its never too late to ride a bike till you can ride one!

OT: I personally loved the Red-Black design, hope they get it here
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 18:26   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On CBR, it is not the rev stuff that I was referring to, but niggles after niggles (Engine Heating, Oil Leakage, Some gear issues etc.). Waiting for Parts (waiting for over 50 days for a rear view mirror). Some of these issues are pretty much documented even by Forum members in the CBR thread.
Ah the parts issue!! That's a different can of worms! One that Honda is trying to fix and they are almost getting there. And yes, all the things i know about the CBR is also from experience of owners so glad you clarified the issues. Thanks!

As per the update from initial batch of owners (aargee on the forum) the latest batch of bikes are free of niggles. Fellow member Sheel can comment on this as he got the delivery recently and he is one of those who will put the bike thru its paces like nobody's business!
abhinav.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 18:28   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Hmmm.. Not really keen on the off-roading bike. For the benefit of anybody who may be interested - what is the asking price? condition of the bike etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Shubz

At 40 you are obviously too young for a motorcycle.
Do not think about these machines. Doing so will only get you into trouble.

As a youngster of only 68 I can say these things based on years of knowledge gained after 46 years of riding them.

On the other hand, if you wish to emulate the actions of a youthful 68 year old motorcycle rider and you don't mind others pointing at you and saying,

"LOOK! An OLD guy riding a motorcycle!" then go ahead and have fun.
Jim - With youngsters like you, Ram, Iqbal Veerji and a host of others pepping me up - I am ashamed of myself for speculating about my age in number and whether I can handle the bikes or not! Thanks for being there for this kid!

I would now love it when people would say "Look an OLD guy is riding a motorcycle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Will pitch in with my thoughts as well.

To start with I'm just gonna say toss that 40 years 'badge' out of the closest window.

Done! Tossed it out already! Remember the likes of ArizonaJim and host others?

Buy the bike that appeals to your heart

1. A very important question that I didn't see answered in this thread is what is the kind of roads you intend on riding on weekends (Assuming that you are using the bike mostly for out of the city weekend rides)?

Roads: Only streets and highways! Weekend riding is for sure but you never know I would love to ride it to work as well! Who cares about formal wear etc! I sometimes drive the vintage Jeep on weekdays with all formals caring two hoots for what others have to say/think!

2. Do you at any point in time intend on carrying a pillion along with you?

No pillion planned!

3. What is the kind of per year mileage you intend on clocking on an average? (This will largely affect your running/maintenance costs)

Good question! Never gave this a thought but if I were to divide my time on the road to the car I drive everyday (which is close to 40k in 3 years). May be around 15K a year? (very conservative estimate)

I have noticed that you don't intend in investing in the Ninja's due to their prohibitive cost. So for now your best options are actually just the CBR 250R and the KTM Duke 200. At present there is nothing that seems to be making it to the market in that level of bikes, barring a 250 from Suzuki.

Right! Cost apart, Maintenance etc is what is stopping me into closing my eyes and jumping in with the Ninja 250 (the 2012 model may make me wonder again)

I'd suggest you hold on till the Duke 200 is out on the roads, you can ride the CBR and Duke and figure out if what appeals to your senses more. Though both bikes are very different in nature, you can still most of the things either bike can do.

Waiting to see the Duke in flesh n blood (pun intended)

As a parting point, *if* you think this will be the last bike you'd buy. I'd suggest break the bank and go for that Ninja 250R, its expensive to buy and its expensive if you drop it. But the bike is *perfect*. 28 years of evolution have got the bike where it is today! Just give it thought!

May be the 1st among sports bike but never the last. I quote people like Arizona Jim and a host of others (I will never get old!)
Quote:

I would ask you to stay clear of CBR250. Two guys I know, aren't exactly happy about their purchase, regretting every day for not stretching and going for the Ninja instead. May be, if Yamaha can come with Fazer 250, it could your ideal choice. In my view, Yams are more reliable than other Japs available in our country (excluding Ninja). They will also be priced around 1.8 to 2.0 Lakhs, definitely not more than that.

Cheers
Sir CBR250 is a very good bike. A couple of them may have had issues with the original batch of the bikes but they are still not asking folks to stay clear of this beautiful bike.

Yam quality may be unmatched but personally I did not like the Fazer 250 (at least in pictures) It just looked liked an ordinary bike. That doesn't stand out/turn heads kind! (I may be totally wrong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post

Shubz, sorry to step in, but suggestions are flowing which have already been discussed and discarded in the previous 4-5 pages.

I think you are smitten by the Duke and trust me. Just go ahead with what your heart yearns for. You will never regret it. But yes, try and take extended test ride on the choices you have shortlisted either from the showrooms or friends. The KTM should surely keep you interested since you are planning it only for weekend rides. You never know you might start riding more if you like what you are riding.
Abhinav. Suggestions that have been discussed already is still welcome. It shows how people can swear by the monster Bullet! Not a tad irritated with people still suggesting Bullets.

Smitten by the Duke: Yes! But there are others too that I am smitten with. May be not be as sore as the Duke! :-)

As mentioned earlier - Current idea is to ride on weekends! But once I am with a bike, that may very well change! Already considering adding Mon/Tue to my ride as in the current job profile these days are relatively free so can be casual about reaching work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Something to tickle your taste buds

2012 Ninja® 250R Sport - Kawasaki.com

You might have already gone through it, but still telling you that this bike meets your requirements. NOTE: Its never too late to ride a bike till you can ride one!

OT: I personally loved the Red-Black design, hope they get it here
Yum! yes I have been through it. And though other designs are pretty good! I still would swear by the green!
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 20:51   #71
Senior - BHPian

No Ram no links but came to know through friends, heard that its very clean bike, papers as well as the bike itself.
Not sure about exact price but its around 5.8-6L coming with lots of spares.
Old 13th December 2011, 22:57   #72
Senior - BHPian

Shubz, do not look at anything other than inline fours. Trust me. You will get bored soon and would upgrade. I see many CBR250 / Ninja 250 and Hyosung 650 already for sale and owners not being very satisfied with them. How many inline fours do you see for sale anywhere? If a litre is big, go for 600.

If you want something to amble along slowly, Enfield would be the best.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 23:19   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Shubz, do not look at anything other than inline fours. Trust me. You will get bored soon and would upgrade. I see many CBR250 / Ninja 250 and Hyosung 650 already for sale and owners not being very satisfied with them. How many inline fours do you see for sale anywhere? If a litre is big, go for 600.

If you want something to amble along slowly, Enfield would be the best.
Trying hard to get over some resistance from some quarters as far as 600's are concerned. Trying my ways into convincing! Hope to get a nod! And Enfield is a no no!
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 08:27   #74
Senior - BHPian

Oh yeah one 2007 CBR600 is also for sale, friend went to UK and left the bike over here for sale. He has done some 6K Kms on that bike single owner and asking 4.5L for the same, neat bike never been dropped.
Old 14th December 2011, 08:57   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post

Roads: Only streets and highways! Weekend riding is for sure but you never know I would love to ride it to work as well! Who cares about formal wear etc! I sometimes drive the vintage Jeep on weekdays with all formals caring two hoots for what others have to say/think!
Alright then the CBR/Ninja will be better suited to your needs as the Duke is more of a brash go anywhere, do anything bike. But highways etc are more your thing, then a faired bike is what you should be looking at to protect you from the windblast!

Quote:
Good question! Never gave this a thought but if I were to divide my time on the road to the car I drive everyday (which is close to 40k in 3 years). May be around 15K a year? (very conservative estimate)
15K a year that too with just weekend riding is actually a LOT of riding

For eg: My bike has done close to 80K over the past 4 years. And its my almost everyday bike, the car does not come out that often. And I do ride out pretty frequently over the weekends as well!

Quote:
Right! Cost apart, Maintenance etc is what is stopping me into closing my eyes and jumping in with the Ninja 250 (the 2012 model may make me wonder again)
As I mentioned before, as long as you don't drop it. Maintenance costs aren't too high! Regular services aren't too very expensive, a few of the consumable parts like the chain & chain sprockets are a little on the higher side. But apart from that it is still not too very heavy on the pocket.

But drop it and its whole different story altogether!
praful is offline   Reply With Quote