Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 12th December 2011, 20:23   #16
BHPian

Default Re: The R15 - A query

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
So the fact is, if I shift 1-5 at say 5k like I do in other bikes, and open full throttle in 6th gear, I am going to get nowhere near even say 110 km/hr, right?
Who said this? You can reach to 120kph even that way. Only that it will take a lifetime to reach to that figure. Roll-on times of the R15 are not as good as say a P220. If you are full-throttle in 6th gear, it will obviously do a respectable figure.

You are wasting that chassis doing 1-5k actually, get the first service done fast. You have already done about 650 km. First service must be done between 500-750 km, right?

It's advisable to control your 'racing instinct' till 1500 kilometers though, but I went berserk on my bike (RTR180) after the first service. You can however give her short bursts. ;-)

Also, avoid pillion as much as you can! I am just coming back from a short trip (160km). Rode my friend's R15 for 120km (solo) and 30-40km with pillion. That meant, I only did 120km of ride, rest of the journey felt more like dragging!
Shivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 21:01   #17
BHPian

Probably without a pillion, that would be possible. But like I said, with that style of driving, the tacho was stuck at 7.5k rpm. Will have to find out more after my first service is complete.
FanaticOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 22:10   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post
You are wasting that chassis doing 1-5k actually, get the first service done fast. You have already done about 650 km. First service must be done between 500-750 km, right?
The newer age Motorcycle (R15/CBR-250R) first service is scheduled at 1,000kms or 1 month. Whichever is earlier.

And yes, R15 with a pillion, is a waste.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 20:20   #19
BHPian

Yes, the first service is at 1000kms or 1 month. I don't think I'll be doing that many kms within the period, considering my daily commute to office. Anyways, I am eager to try out the bike once the service is over, and of course, devoid of a pillion.
Old 16th December 2011, 12:25   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the first service is at 1000kms or 1 month. I don't think I'll be doing that many kms within the period, considering my daily commute to office. Anyways, I am eager to try out the bike once the service is over, and of course, devoid of a pillion.
Keep us posted

I am pretty confused myself since I sold my Avenger! Took Apache out of the list and now, looking at R15v2 or KTM; but price...

And 135 on odo? I doubt if R15 can 'really' do that ; should be odo err?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2011, 10:20   #21

Check you rear and front tyre air pressure. You can easily do 115-120 on R15 with properly inflated tyres. With lower pressures the wheel resistance would be too much at high speeds.
jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 20:22   #22
BHPian

@FanaticOnWheels - The first time you open up the engine(ie rev high), it doesn't hit its top speeds the bike is capable of. The bike or car takes sufficient kms of riding before it can hit its max speed and i don't believe 600 km is enough.
With respect to changing gears, as others suggested shifting at higher rpms would help but your approach would also work though of course take much longer time. But i would suggest doing it in 5th gear rather than 6th gear. 6th in R15 is extremely long geared and mainly for fuel efficiency and not for pickup. In fact you might find yourself losing speed in 6th gear many times even if there is very slight incline or heavy wind.

Have did 137(on speedo) in singles and 125 on doubles. So it should be possible once your run in is done.
baluundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 12:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Just to bring to your notice *FanaticOnWheels*

On the R15 2.0 - I clocked 130 KMPH with a pillion (me=72kg, pillion=60kg)
I checked this twice before posting. So the figures are correct. (true speed might differ by 2-3 kmph)

You need a long stretch, and as i mentioned before, you need to reach that shift point where your bike will pull relentlessly when you up-shift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Keep us posted

Heyy,

It surely is true that the digital speedo's are a little misleading when it comes to actual figures.
But it does not vary that much for example; 140 kmph on the speedo wont be 110/120 kmph in reality.

It does vary marginally, so you are right if you doubt the capabilities of the bike to cross 150kmph, but 140 is a easy run - though the speedo might show 145 or something
Quote:
You can always reach to a good top speed with a pillion - but what is important here is your seating position as well.
You need to bend over the tank in a way that the wind is deflected over your head, also your pillion should hold on to you and there should be minimum wind resistance since this also reduces your speeding abilities while riding.

P.S. When riding with a pillion, it is not advisable to speed everytime, it is the riders responsibility that his pillion is safe and enjoys the ride as well.

Thanks,
I hope you come up with some good figures after your first service

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 19th December 2011 at 14:01.
parrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 16:57   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess View Post
Check you rear and front tyre air pressure. You can easily do 115-120 on R15 with properly inflated tyres. With lower pressures the wheel resistance would be too much at high speeds.
Seems its tough to get OE tyres of R15. Is it true? Bro was trying for his friend's bike and was unsuccessful.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 19:43   #25
BHPian

I maintain 30 and 35 psi respectively, as suggested by the mechanic at Patny Motors (Apparently the oldest Yamaha mechanic around!). Patny motors was apparently the first Yamaha dealership in the country, or so they claim.

Anyways, I will have to try shifting at higher rev bands after first service. The thing is, after riding Pulsars, I feel slightly uncomfortable letting the engine scream all the way to 8k before shifting, as the Pulsars literally used to whine and cry at such RPMs (Of course, theirs was an air cooled engine, and we are talking about a liquid cooled heart here). But they could accelerate from a sedate 4k in top gear without a hitch, and achieve top speed pretty easily. That was my experience. (Being a P135 owner also).

Quote:
Keep us posted

I am pretty confused myself since I sold my Avenger! Took Apache out of the list and now, looking at R15v2 or KTM; but price...

The R15 easily does 130-135, I've had numerous friends for proof, and read many travelogues as well. I should say, I will have to understand the nature and the power band of this bike first. I did rev her till around 9.5k RPM in fifth gear, and till around 8k in 3rd once, and the pull in 3rd was amazing, just like those CRDi engines that come to life after 2000RPM!. The 5th gear was good for atleast 125-130 IMO, though I stopped revving after 115. And yes, the speed started decreasing in sixth, so I have to understand that aspect as well.

But I guess once I pick up the nuances associated with this gem of an engine, I should have quite a bit of fun
Old 18th March 2012, 20:11   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Just to bring to your notice *FanaticOnWheels*

On the R15 2.0 - I clocked 130 KMPH with a pillion (me=72kg, pillion=60kg)
I checked this twice before posting. So the figures are correct. (true speed might differ by 2-3 kmph)

You need a long stretch, and as i mentioned before, you need to reach that shift point where your bike will pull relentlessly when you up-shift.

Heyy,

It surely is true that the digital speedo's are a little misleading when it comes to actual figures.
But it does not vary that much for example; 140 kmph on the speedo wont be 110/120 kmph in reality.

It does vary marginally, so you are right if you doubt the capabilities of the bike to cross 150kmph, but 140 is a easy run - though the speedo might show 145 or something

You can always reach to a good top speed with a pillion - but what is important here is your seating position as well.
You need to bend over the tank in a way that the wind is deflected over your head, also your pillion should hold on to you and there should be minimum wind resistance since this also reduces your speeding abilities while riding.

P.S. When riding with a pillion, it is not advisable to speed everytime, it is the riders responsibility that his pillion is safe and enjoys the ride as well.

Thanks,
I hope you come up with some good figures after your first service

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.
Did you achieve that speed of 130 without crouching? And generally, do you crouch to achieve 120s on open stretches while riding without a pillion?
Old 18th March 2012, 23:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:

A Stock R15 can do that! Not sure of the odo err which is usually <10% - But, I have touched 138 (crouched) in R15 on a fairly long and straight road. Does 125+ with ease.
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 09:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you achieve that speed of 130 without crouching? And generally, do you crouch to achieve 120s on open stretches while riding without a pillion?
130+ without crouching would take ages.
Yes, I did crouch. And to achieve 120+ I dont crouch completely but bend down a little to reduce the wind resistance.
parrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 09:58   #29
BHPian

Interesting to see this thread today since I did a speed check yesterday after finally reaching the 1000km mark and completed the task of Oil and filter change.

131 km/hr on the speedo. Not a feat for the R15 community but definitely felt nice to see it perform personally.

I did this a couple of times while I tested it on the NICE road in Bangalore. Early morning and empty stretches were an invitation. What made it bad was the wind blast on me. At this speeds, you really need a bike with a fairing. It was little windy and I did not crouch completely on the tank. What was interesting to see is the complete change in behavior in reaching the top speeds while you change the gears at 6.5K RPM and 9.5K RPM. Even after you change to a higher gear at 9.5K RPM it still pulls you ahead eager to show better numbers on the Speedo.

In short, I am impressed to see a 150 cc perform so well.
abhisheksircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 11:34   #30
Senior - BHPian

I have done 700 kms on mine,had a PP 220 at one of the trafic lights and both the bikes were doing similar speeds till 80 kmph.I had at the back of the mind that i cannot go along above 7000 rpm for long and i left it alone.I am sure it would definetly catch PP 220.I have a lot of friends who has done 130 plus on the R15.More than the final speed the R15 is good for handling even at very low speeds.
For all new owners of R15 kindly go through the manual before attempting any thing as it is very critical that we stick to manufacturers words.Let us not test it for its tolerences or limits,as it would have definetly been done by the manufacturers and they sugest us to do something based on their studies.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote