Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 12th December 2011, 11:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Honda CBR 250R and parts issues

Hello everyone! Recently bought a Honda CBR 250R after moving up from the RE Thunderbird which I've owned for years now. No, this is sadly not going to be an ownership thread.

I am starting this new thread because of the parts issue that I am facing with Honda. I had an accident on the bike a week back and have been given an estimate of the parts, prices etc here in Bangalore. The problem is that of 21 parts that they have estimated that needs replacing, my dealer only has 7 of them. He is not even sure that he can get the radiator in a few days! He says that he will not even give me a date since he is not sure that he can get the parts in a few weeks.

Now I am in a quandry. Since I am taking the insurance claim, do I leave the bike in the service center and wait for them to replace the parts as they come in or bring the bike home? Friends advised me against leaving the bike in the ASC as a simple measure of safety for the bike.

Now, my main problem is that I was planning an all South India ride this month end and this parts issue has put a spanner in the works.

If I can source the radiator - which is the main part that I need, I think I can manage to get the rest later. But how does insurance work in this case?

I would also appreciate the help of you guys out there to advise and also see if you can source some parts for me. Thanks for the offer of help, aargee!

I am attaching the scanned copy of the estimate with this post.

Help
Attached Thumbnails
Honda CBR 250R and parts issues-cbr-estimate.jpg  

naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 11:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Honda CBR 250R and parts issues

Hope you are feeling better now Naveen.

I heard Dream Honda has parts available off the shelf. I can ask my friend to refer you to the service manager here if you need help. Do let me know.

I would recommend getting all the repairs done at one shot and claim insurance to avoid any hassles later. The insurance company could probably deny a claim in the future date citing failure to claim for replacement of a specific part earlier. This thread could be of some help to you.

With regard to leaving the bike at the service center till parts arrive, its a matter of the amount of trust you place with the dealer/service center and your peace of mind.

Last edited by n_aditya : 12th December 2011 at 11:55.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 12:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hello and thanks n_aditya!

Yes, would really appreciate you referring me to the service manager at Dream Honda. Atleast Saphire can source the parts from them. Or will leave my bike there itself for replacing parts.

Yup, thats what I thought about the insurance claim too. Will take a call on it soon. Hopefully things will turn out well.
Old 12th December 2011, 19:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Naveen - Radiator is a big question & will not be available off the shelf; friend of mine is waiting for a radiator for last 85+ days, but that's Kolkatta. But I take it that will be the similar situation for radiator nation wide.

Since you're in BLR, there's one great benefit for you; just walk in straight to Cunningham road where HMSI corporate office is located where most HMSI engineers can be found.

PM me your number if possible. Tks.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 09:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I can ask my friend to refer you to the service manager here if you need help. Do let me know.
Hello n_aditya, can you PM me the contacts. I am really desperate for parts now. Looks quite bad for the ride this year end.
Old 13th December 2011, 10:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Have been calling all the Honda dealers and speaking to parts managers for the past 1 hour or so.

And no, I am not optimistic anymore. All of them have told me that a minimum of 2 weeks atleast to source the most important part - the radiator.

Oh well...
Old 13th December 2011, 11:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

@Naveen - You'll not; take my word, dealers are helpless on these things; you call up even the showroom owner (not even the manager), they'll be helpless too; give me few minutes, let me see what info I can get for you.

Consider yourself lucky as you're only waiting not more than 2-3 weeks max as a friend of mine is patient enough for over 85+ days now.

The short for Ninja is that the parts are expensive, but CBR overcomes on that front, but, the parts aren't available for CBR so easily!!! Sadly, this country STILL lacks a hassle free ownership on a 250cc motorcycle.

Last edited by aargee : 13th December 2011 at 11:27.
Old 13th December 2011, 15:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Naveen - You'll not; take my word, dealers are helpless on these things; you call up even the showroom owner (not even the manager), they'll be helpless too; give me few minutes, let me see what info I can get for you.

Consider yourself lucky as you're only waiting not more than 2-3 weeks max as a friend of mine is patient enough for over 85+ days now.

The short for Ninja is that the parts are expensive, but CBR overcomes on that front, but, the parts aren't available for CBR so easily!!! Sadly, this country STILL lacks a hassle free ownership on a 250cc motorcycle.
My apologies, aargee if it seems like I am being too impatient. I only checked with the dealers in the hope that they might by chance have a radiator in stock. Yup, I do consider myself lucky that the damage is minimal and that atleast a month down the line, the bike will be back to shape.

But I tell you this - I jumped to the Honda bandwagon only because of the reliability issues with RE. Now it is damn painful to watch Honda go the same way.

But do we know what the actual issue is? As in, I know that it is from Honda's end. But is it because of the recent floods in Thailand or are they really being lethargic to demand? Hassle-free biking will be nirvana. Maybe in my after-life! But seriously, would these guys have been able to get away with this in the USA?
Old 13th December 2011, 15:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Naveen - Flood & Thailand has got nothing to do with delay in parts; there's no question on reliability & Honda atleast for most of the ppl out there. If you haven't met with an accident, you too would've agreed upon it.

The hard fact is that, your parts are certainly going to take sometime & I'm not sure who handles in KA; so you'll have to wait; have a little patience my friend.
Old 13th December 2011, 15:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Naveen - Flood & Thailand has got nothing to do with delay in parts; there's no question on reliability & Honda atleast for most of the ppl out there. If you haven't met with an accident, you too would've agreed upon it.

The hard fact is that, your parts are certainly going to take sometime & I'm not sure who handles in KA; so you'll have to wait; have a little patience my friend.
Yes, I agree. I mistakenly said "reliability". I must have said "availability". The RE and Honda are worlds apart in terms of everything, especially reliability. Point taken. Patience. Inner peace. Innnnnerr.........
Old 13th December 2011, 20:28   #11
BHPian

While Honda is renowned for their reliability, this is sheer lack of planning on their end. Such shortage of parts is indeed frustrating for the customer. What will people do, if critical parts of their bike malfunctioned, and if their bike is their primary mode of transport? Has the demand exceeded supply by that great an amount that they are not able to keep up? I don't think so. If Honda decided that concentrating on manufacturing motorcycles first is better, and spare parts can be given the back seat, then that is plain wrong! This is indeed an issue that needs to be addressed pretty quickly, as the only way to have a hassle free ownership experience with a CBR seems to be to ride it without accidents, which is definitely not entirely in the rider's hands!
FanaticOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 21:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
this is sheer lack of planning on their end
Well, I think the other way; consider this time of the year where most issues are getting sorted out by HMSI; by now we also have KTM 200 around the corner & the price is speculated around the price of CBR; at this moment who has highest market share ?
Old 13th December 2011, 22:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
This is indeed an issue that needs to be addressed pretty quickly, as the only way to have a hassle free ownership experience with a CBR seems to be to ride it without accidents, which is definitely not entirely in the rider's hands!
Yup, my first accident. Been riding for 14 years now. I really hope Honda comes up with goods pretty soon.
Old 14th December 2011, 01:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yup, my first accident. Been riding for 14 years now. I really hope Honda comes up with goods pretty soon.

Most accidents are caused by the nut that connects the seat to the handle-bar/steering!!
OT - Sorry to hear about your accident. Would you mind taking off your signature while you are out dealing with your issues
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 08:39   #15
BHPian

My Honda CBR 250 has some faulty engine parts which are valve and valve guide and oil seals. The dealer in Raipur has not been able to get it since 5 months from when i am reporting the problem.
jasmeetsingh is offline   Reply With Quote