Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 22nd December 2011, 17:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Which bike would you suggest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinfine View Post
My price range is max 90K, whatever it may be. Really dont know the prices of the bikes RTR160/180, Yam FZ16/FZS, P220F/S......
All the bikes above are within 90k on road Bangalore barring RTR180 ABS which costs 93k on road (non ABS RTR180 is 82k) and P220F (fairing version) which again costs between 91-93k.

Quick heads up:

Yam FZ16/FZS/Fazer - Same engine with different looks. Fazer is the fairing version. The other 2 are naked bikes. FZS has very subtle changes and some very bold and interesting colors. Refined motor, decent torque in lower gears for crawling traffic, small and flickable, the mammoth rear tire grips like a leech, amazing handling, slightly relaxed seating, good for city rides and occasional highways jaunts.

P220F/S - The most powerful of the current lot of Indian bikes. Power from right down the rev range. Ok-Ok handling as it is front heavy. Fairing version is cumbersome in traffic/congested parking spots which is overcome if you opt for the street fighter version. They don't age well and start falling apart very early on (the latest Pulsars). Well suited for highways (P220F) as well as cities (P220S scores over P220F in my books in the cities)

RTR160/180 - I think there is about 7-9k price difference between the 160 & 180. RTR180 costs 82K on road. Out and out fun machine, good torque for crawling traffic, rev friendly and can go up to red line without complaints, handles like a dream, aggressive seating posture (not suited to many), good for both in city runs as well as touring on highways. Not very heavy and easily manageable even by people with medium build.
Biggest sore point - vibrations in the 4-5k RPM range which are relatively lesser on the 180 but they are still present and will be for the entire duration of ownership. Shifting to Fully Synthetic engine oil helps thing a little but you can not completely get rid of them come what may!

Hope this helps!

Last edited by abhinav.s : 22nd December 2011 at 17:56.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:03   #17
BHPian

RTR 180... purely cuz its not a big bike. its manageable. always liked that attribute of TVS. also FZ-S....
besides you can't go wrong with pretty much any of the bikes here, they are "khota" bikes. use 'em, abuse 'em.... years down the line they still manage to surprise you how rugged these are. i'm amazed with my 7year old Fiero F2.
a2k24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 21:20   #18
BHPian

As per your needs, I would suggest you the p220. I own one and it should fulfill all your needs. Looks good, gives mileage 35+ in city, good handling and easy to overtake other vehicles due to its pick up, has a very good riding position which is sporty and also comfortable for touring. Rear seat is very comfortable.

Other than p220 you can also consider karizmaR.
ravi_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

1) The RTR180(With or Without ABS)
-Quick
-Handles well
-Will keep most vehicles in your RVM.
-Looks good

2) The ZM-A
-Aging maybe, but still efficient
-Has one of the smoother engines
-Looks are still top notch
-Still an able performer
-Commuterish Seating Position
-No rear Disk

3) The P220
-The Fastest Indian after all
-Looks good
-Engine lacks the refinement of the ZM-A

My bet would be the RTR180 ABS. Got one of the best braking systems around. If you can manage the oh-so-famous vibes which creep in. You have a fast, zippy, agile handler which ticks most boxes for you.
ashwin.terminat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 01:24   #20
BHPian

The Avenger is a nice bike to start with if you are primarily going to ride alone however, the rear seat not only is small in width but, also is a pain when going through the potholes. The pillion gets a bigger jerk than the rider. In my opinion you should try the following:

1. Honda Dazzler - Neat bike with all major gadgets, hardly a waiting time, front & rear disc brakes (Around 65-70K)
2. Yamaha FZ-S - Although a common bike these days, a strong performer, is infamous though for it's breaking clutch & brake levers (Around 75-80K)
3. Apache RTR 160 - Now this is a bike that looks good & is enormous fun to ride although my frame doesn't go well with it, the city riding on those clipped handle bars is a breeze. And if you get the white color, it will be awesomeness ! (Around 75-80K)

Only the Karizma R & Apache come in White colors as far as I have seen. There are other smaller capacity bikes but, I don't think they are as good looking.
90BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 08:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. My height is 5' 10"
2. Really not specific of getting a sports one or cruiser. I just want a stylish one.
3. Most of the times will ride single.
+ You want the bike to be stylish
+ It should be easy to handle in traffic
+ Corollary to above, it shouldnt be heavy

I think you should go with the FZ series. It suits your requirements from all angles. I was going to suggest the Fazer as its more stylish than FZ, but the faring seems to bother you (P220 experience?).

If you want a free revving engine and good acceleration, you should also give the RTR 180 a chance.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 23rd December 2011 at 08:30.
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 09:01   #22

Thanks a lot to all of you. I am really really pleased with all the suggestions, couldn't have been better anywhere else.
So I have shortlisted

Yamaha FZ-S
Yamaha Frazzer
karizma ZMR
Apache RTR 180
CB UNICORN DAZZLER

I am going to test drive all of these.
Please let me know if I have missed any
avinfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
2. Yamaha FZ-S - Although a common bike these days, a strong performer, is infamous though for it's breaking clutch & brake levers (Around 75-80K)
Along with the breaking clutch and brake levers (which only happen in case of a fall btw) the rims on the FZ series is oh-so delicate. In the 3 months and 5000kms of ownership, it hardly saw any bad roads. It was all super smooth highways and only one unknown speed breaker jump at around 45kmph. That's it. The rear rim started leaking air. Not just me but there are quite a few out there facing this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
Only the Karizma R & Apache come in White colors as far as I have seen. There are other smaller capacity bikes but, I don't think they are as good looking.
Yamaha FZ-S also comes in white but its a dual color combo of Red and white with majority of parts in white.

Quote:
Yamaha Frazzer
Typo above its Fazer. While its a good bike no doubt, the fairing will cause you the same (in fact a little more) inconvenience as with P220F. Think through if you really want the fairing. For city, the street fighters/bikini fairings score over these half fairing bikes.

Happy choosing and take extended test rides of all the bikes in the conditions you will be using them the most. You will find your match.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

If you are not in a hurry, how about the upcoming Pulsar Twins/Triplets/Quadruplets ? The looks are cool, the engine would be great, and would be a right mix of power and efficiency and price.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:01   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot to all of you. I am really really pleased with all the suggestions, couldn't have been better anywhere else.
So I have shortlisted
Yamaha FZ-S
Yamaha Frazzer
karizma ZMR
The ZMR retails around 1.15 lakh OTR in Bangalore.
The Fazer is an absolute waste of moolah(except for the design),85+ thousand for a bike that cries to go over 90 KM/H.
^^Just my opinions based on my previous experiences with these
Patriot_Vishwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:47   #26
BHPian

Default Re: Which bike for 90K?

Quote:
So I have shortlisted

Yamaha FZ-S
Yamaha Frazzer
karizma ZMR
Apache RTR 180
CB UNICORN DAZZLER

I am going to test drive all of these.
Please let me know if I have missed any
I hope you like the way all the bikes that you have shortlisted look .
I would add KTM 125 also into the list as its in your budget and shall be launched in the initial days of 2012 .

If I were you, I would have chosen yamaha for its looks and its character . Mid range torque and the riding position adds to its advantage . Many of my friends have Yamaha FZ or Fazer and have never encountered any issues . I myself have a Yamaha libero for the past 8 years and except for its questioned looks and power it has served me very well .
rejoycjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 16:15   #27
BHPian

I have owned a Eliminator (Avenger) for last 8 years and would like to elaborate on some points raised here. The rear seat is not wide enough, but sufficient for normal people. The feel good factor is the backrest. Everyone (old/young) found this very comforting. It hurts in potholes, but if you slow down it wont be such a major issue. The engine is more powerful now (220cc) and gives a very different style statement as its a cruiser.
You can also enjoy the bike over weekends to nearby places (Nandi hills et al).
The grouse about the bike I have are:
1. Rear heavy. So parking in tight spots require effort. (True for other bikes also to some extent)
2. High pressure on rear brakes and the rear tyre may slip. (The right way to brake is anyways using the discs in front primarily)
Low wheelbase and maneuvering in traffic might seem cumbersome in the beginning, but will be a breeze after you get used to it.
It still gives me "feel good" factor whenever I ride on weekends!
Shrek_924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 16:33   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Yaa, ZMR is little higher than my budget. My friend's opinion is the head light stays still even in road curves. Would it matter a lot?
@the emboldened bit-Nope,they are similar to the Headlights of most cars i.e,the headlights do not change their angle when the car executes a turn.
BTW that is the Yamaha Fazer.

Last edited by Patriot_Vishwas : 23rd December 2011 at 16:56. Reason: Thanks for the clarification,abhinav.s
Patriot_Vishwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 16:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_Vishwas View Post
I fail to understand your post,sorry.
@the emboldened bit-Did you man all DC lighting or anything else?
He is saying that since the headlight does not turn with the handle on the ZMR, ZMA, P220F etc, will it be an issue in the curves.

@Avin, it should not be a problem atleast on the P220F. It has projector lamps in the high beam and low beam spread is really good that you will not face any issues in the curves/turns. Others can comment about the ZMA/ZMR lights. But the focusing of the lights has to be spot on to take their advantage which has to be done at the SVC before taking delivery.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 19:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
I would add KTM 125 also into the list as its in your budget and shall be launched in the initial days of 2012 .
Am sure you meant KTM 200? and if you see the title of the thread - it wouldn't fit in his budget as it is expected to be priced at at least 1.2+

Last edited by Shubz : 23rd December 2011 at 19:24.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote