Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 23rd December 2011, 20:28   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Which bike for 90K?

Like many others I too would suggest Karizma R (Costs bang 90k in Mumbai, should be the same in Bangalore)

I am happy with the bike i bought in October, Just added a leg guard.
I use it for daily office commute through heavy traffic (never cross 2nd gear) and also for weekend morning drives.

My reasons for buying:
1. Foremost, its ready delivery unlike cbr or enfield or R15. (license raaj is over dear Enfield)
2. Common bike, doesn't attract people
3. For long in production hence trieds and tested (unlike a cbr)
4. Its comfortable over long distances
5. Simple carburetted bike: can be repaired by self or any roadside mechanic
6. White one looks good too

Have almost given up driving my i10 since I got it, Its a good bike if you don't care about the outdatedness
whats missing: tubeless tyres & rear disc brakes

A Suggestion : Try out the impulse, tried and tested engine, great inital feedback, and its a dirt bike (perfect for going over pavements, potholes in traffic). I would love to buy one too
vikramvicky1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 21:31   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz

Am sure you meant KTM 200? and if you see the title of the thread - it wouldn't fit in his budget as it is expected to be priced at at least 1.2+
No no I meant KTM 125,and as per the news running on the net it is expected in jan 2012 and the price mentioned is 90k.I agree that KTM 200 would overshoot his budget by about 40 - 50 k
rejoycjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 22:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest sit on the Honda CBR, that might change your perception very much. I am not at all comfortable sitting in the Hero Hondas, Bajaj, etc., especially after the Yezdi. Of course, it literally throws away 2 of your main requirements, cost of bike and FE, but it is worth giving up.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 00:21   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
No no I meant KTM 125,and as per the news running on the net it is expected in jan 2012 and the price mentioned is 90k.I agree that KTM 200 would overshoot his budget by about 40 - 50 k
Rejoy - Now this is interesting news. While we are all eagerly awaiting the 200 which site mentions 125? Could you please share the link?

Thanks.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 00:29   #35
BHPian

I have been riding an Avenger 200 for the last four years. Done 50,000 km, and I am quite satisfied with it.

I am listing down the pros and cons based on my experience:

Pros
1. Stylish and distinctive appearance. Stands out from the crowd.
2. Comfortable seat and upright posture for rider. Good for long drives.
3. Powerful engine (now it is 220 cc).
4. Value for money.

Cons
1. Lots of chrome plated parts, tends to rust.
2. Spoke wheels, cannot fit tubeless tires.
3. It is heavy, difficult to adjust in parking space.
4. Tends to skid, in spite of wide tires.

Driving in traffic is not a problem. I regularly use it for commuting in Mumbai.
Pillion opinions are mixed. Some are not comfortable on the narrow seat, others love the backrest.
Quality of parts is not great, but they are not too expensive either.

I would suggest you that take a test drive (preferably a long one) and decide.
highway_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 11:59   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Rejoy - Now this is interesting news. While we are all eagerly awaiting the 200 which site mentions 125? Could you please share the link?

Thanks.
KTM India, KTM Bikes India, New Bikes By KTM, KTM Dealers, Insurance - MaxAbout.com

it says 1.00 L .
KTM Duke 125, Review, Price, KTM Bikes India, Comparison, Images, Variants
The specs are really interesting from the way it shows in the net . 15 Bhp !!
rejoycjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 12:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Very misleading. Unless Bajaj and KTM have sold themselves to this website or Mr. Rajiv Bajaj is misquoted!

Duke 200 is the one for India market. And the 350 is the next in line. Never ever heard of 125 hitting Indian shores.

And the price quoted for 125/200 - Even Bajaj/KTM haven't released the prices officially.
Old 27th December 2011, 09:20   #38

Lots and lots of responses. Thanks a lot guys, missed reading them over the weekend, otherwise should have replied early.

rejoycjohn - KTM 125 is very sporty, looks awesome. Any idea on the fuel efficiency? I don't want my bike to give me the same mileage as my i10 And since its 125 cc, I would expect atleast 40-50 kmpl ?

sajo - Not sure I am going to wait. I am little eager to ride

Shrek_924 & highway_star - Listed out the pros and cons. But yeah, Avenger has been in my list from day one. If my wife is comfortable sitting in the rear seat, might go for it. My colleague says his Avenger (older one, not 220 cc) is low on mileage, around 30 kmpl. And he has it since quite a few years. Will 220 cc go below 30 ?

I want some other color, not black. But nothing looks better than black on Avenger.

vikramvicky1984 - Karizma is also awesome. Was jealous when they were given free in Roadies. That's also my fav one. But I didnt like Impluse, though it was nominated for the Bike of the Year. The Yellow is too good to avoid.

esteem_lover - CBR in Bangalore is 1.68L :( Otherwise it was decided
avinfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 13:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinfine View Post
My colleague says his Avenger (older one, not 220 cc) is low on mileage, around 30 kmpl. And he has it since quite a few years. Will 220 cc go below 30?
Not sure of the Avenger, but my colleagues P220 (same engine different state of tune in the Avenger i guess) which has run close to 10k kms gives him around 25-28kmpl in heavy city traffic. On highways as well it does not change much. I think depending on the maintenance you can probably get 1-2kmpl more. So 30 should be achievable.
abhinav.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 14:04   #40
BHPian

I suggest you give serious thought to the Apace RTR 180 ABS. It is a gem of a bike with superb racing dyanmics. The pickup is amazing too. It will give you around 35-40 KMPL quite easily. The other option is the Honda Dazzler, a nice bike with Honda reliability & performance.

Quote:
Lots and lots of responses. Thanks a lot guys, missed reading them over the weekend, otherwise should have replied early.

rejoycjohn - KTM 125 is very sporty, looks awesome. Any idea on the fuel efficiency? I don't want my bike to give me the same mileage as my i10 And since its 125 cc, I would expect atleast 40-50 kmpl ?
The Bajaj Pulsar is getting re-launched with the KTM engine at its heart, the mileage should be as per your requirement & it will be a brand new bike to have. Not sure of the price & launch date as yet.

Last edited by 90BHP : 27th December 2011 at 14:06.
90BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 14:56   #41

Getting to read a lot on Apace RTR 180 (with or without ABS). I am feeling good about it. But this is all on website. Haven't been able to test drive any of them yet.
avinfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 21:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Forget about this one. This one ain't gonna see the Indian market. It is the 200 only! and that is above 1L - move on to other models
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 21:23   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Getting to read a lot on Apace RTR 180 (with or without ABS). I am feeling good about it. But this is all on website. Haven't been able to test drive any of them yet.
If you love a throbbing 180 CC monster between your legs() then you'll love the RTR.
Very smooth gear shifts,great headlight beam spread and smooth engine.
But it does vibrate at higher revs(shoddy dampening?) and the pillion seats are absolutely pathetic.
Patriot_Vishwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 21:45   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_Vishwas View Post
Very smooth gear shifts,great headlight beam spread and smooth engine.
But it does vibrate at higher revs(shoddy dampening?) and the pillion seats are absolutely pathetic.
Just to clear up a few things:

Gear Shifts - They will be notchy in the beginning and will get better. When Vishwas says smooth shifts, don't compare it to butter smooth shifts of the Honda's. But yes it gets smooth over time and will not be cumbersome

Headlight spread is amazing and best in class. (without considering the awesome projector set up of the P220F

Rather than calling the engine smooth, i would term it racy. But it is not refined comparing it to Honda's and Yam's. There is quite a bit of clatter initially at least and the annoying tappet noise is omnipresent!!

It does not vibrate just at higher revvs. And it is nothing to do with the damping. By nature, the over-square engine of the RTR renders it very vibey. The vibes on a new bike are present from very low RPM's. Mine currently at 5500kms vibrates only when going from 5000 to 6000 RPM. beyond 6k and below 5k its totally vibe free and enjoyable to ride. I switched to Fully Synth Oil at around 4800kms and the vibes have reduced a lot but they are still present in the range of RPM's mentioned above.

Hope this helps set the expectation right for Avin when he goes for the test ride. Go with an open mind and be well aware of the above issues during the ride.
abhinav.s is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 22:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Just to clear up a few things:

Gear Shifts - They will be notchy in the beginning and will get better. When Vishwas says smooth shifts, don't compare it to butter smooth shifts of the Honda's. But yes it gets smooth over time and will not be cumbersome

Headlight spread is amazing and best in class. (without considering the awesome projector set up of the P220F

Rather than calling the engine smooth, i would term it racy. But it is not refined comparing it to Honda's and Yam's. There is quite a bit of clatter initially at least and the annoying tappet noise is omnipresent!!

It does not vibrate just at higher revvs. And it is nothing to do with the damping. By nature, the over-square engine of the RTR renders it very vibey. The vibes on a new bike are present from very low RPM's. Mine currently at 5500kms vibrates only when going from 5000 to 6000 RPM. beyond 6k and below 5k its totally vibe free and enjoyable to ride. I switched to Fully Synth Oil at around 4800kms and the vibes have reduced a lot but they are still present in the range of RPM's mentioned above.

Hope this helps set the expectation right for Avin when he goes for the test ride. Go with an open mind and be well aware of the above issues during the ride.
I have ridden a colleagues RTR 160 FI when had got it new a few months ago. It had a nice feel. Liked the engine grunt. The styling, The seating position etc. Till then I had thought of it as "just another TVS bike" but I really liked it. Rode around the office campus a bit - didn't feel any unnatural vibes whatsoever. The 180 one will only be better IMO.