Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2011, 21:16   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
harishnayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DELHI
Posts: 1,388
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India

I recently bought a TBTS'11 and was enjoying small rides in the weekends until lately the motorsporting devil in me woke up and i decided to try off roading on my Bullet.

I googled/checked youtube/FB etc and found out that it's not very common and widespread yet in India ( not sure if this is correct ) i.e Off roading on Bullets.

I started off with the off roading stuff right from the time my TBTS was in the Run in period with almost NO knowledge of the machine but had full confidence in my instincts of off roading and have been successful so far.

I myself did some location scouting on outskirts of Delhi which were not very popular , at least not for Bullets.

After getting the thrills i came across some other like minded people who were game for similar off roading and were willing to give their machines & body a beating.

Here are few locations that i tried my hand sorry "Wheels" at
  • Dum Dama - In Haryana
  • Bhondsi - In haryana
  • Death valley - Near faridabad
I was wondering if other fellow BHPians also do similar stuff in other parts of the country and can share their experiences and DO MORE with our machines.

Im posting some pictures from our Off roading stint @ Death Valley couple of weeks back which would give everyone some idea of what we did. Im sharing limited information and picture right now due to time constraint but would post in detail in coming time.

We had gone for a very popular breakfast ride to Badkal lake in Faridabad when someone mentioned that there's a place called death valley nearby and that it's a good location for off roading , I jumped at hearing this and convinced few bullet buddies to go check it out. I went there even inspite the fact that i had a Ladakh carrier installed on my bullet which also proved to be a big hindrance later at the venue.
Attached Thumbnails
Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-166957_336672633025950_100000496491945_1327604_1287970274_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-375526_336645709695309_100000496491945_1327266_1383826803_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-376092_336664576360089_100000496491945_1327523_1077093980_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-376147_336661006360446_100000496491945_1327489_1658337674_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-376164_336659246360622_100000496491945_1327468_706359709_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-377800_336660693027144_100000496491945_1327486_104957159_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-377951_336659419693938_100000496491945_1327471_1695701533_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-378024_336664469693433_100000496491945_1327522_1509109794_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-379558_336659869693893_100000496491945_1327476_729966813_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-380071_336660643027149_100000496491945_1327485_185982152_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-380424_336663476360199_100000496491945_1327511_393495132_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-381817_336659956360551_100000496491945_1327477_820676342_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-385419_336663836360163_100000496491945_1327514_1779213157_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-385934_336665243026689_100000496491945_1327529_1125847452_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-386074_336660766360470_100000496491945_1327487_255823469_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-386135_336661579693722_100000496491945_1327495_1858605176_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-386438_336665669693313_100000496491945_1327533_1037410231_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-386577_336664309693449_100000496491945_1327519_835707799_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-388028_336659069693973_100000496491945_1327466_191237056_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-388057_336665826359964_100000496491945_1327534_1755572971_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-388754_336664853026728_100000496491945_1327526_118041692_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-390100_336665086360038_100000496491945_1327528_505721372_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-390609_336668226359724_100000496491945_1327554_826188332_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-390660_336664383026775_100000496491945_1327521_275415909_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-392268_336664729693407_100000496491945_1327524_871746272_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-393388_336665939693286_100000496491945_1327535_106104606_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-393727_336663136360233_100000496491945_1327509_1809595333_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-394562_336659153027298_100000496491945_1327467_1389912916_n.jpg  

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-394755_336664986360048_100000496491945_1327527_1297704061_n.jpg  

harishnayak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 21:34   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
harishnayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DELHI
Posts: 1,388
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India

One thing is for sure that everything you do while off roading looks simpler in pictures and videos that actually it is in reality , this is going by my personal experience wherein i feel that certain things could have been done very easily when i look at the pictures post the event

Here is one video showing a similar example

harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 22:39   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,554 Times
Default Re: Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India

Nice Shots Harish-I am sure it would have been one hell of an experience.

RE's have been used for offroading,and infact in motorsports as well.
Even,i have tried them off the road at times,but somehow,their weight(they get bogged down easily),and a weak clutch-especially on the older cast iron CI's have put me off.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 23:24   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,369
Thanked: 1,136 Times
Default Re: Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India

nice to see the off road snaps, Harish. As Akshay have said, I too have tried taking couple of my bulls off the road, but the weight and the weak clutch was not really helpful (my bulls were CI) - but it was really fun.

Once the off road bug bites you, it is very tough to shake it off

Adding couple of pictures which I have with me:

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-img_2418.jpg

Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India-img_2413.jpg

OT: I have seen bullets prepared for off road use with some riders of RTMC - if you have any contacts, you can get more details about the mods and the rides.

Last edited by theexperthand : 28th December 2011 at 23:27.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 23:27   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,452 Times
Default Re: Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India

if you like some crazy adventure - try the Manger to damdama trail. puncture infested beyond belief and till a few weeks back, there was a waist high stream to cross.

drop me an email and will send you more trail GPS trails if u want - our pedalyatri.in cycling group loves trails like crazy - the seniors have really mapped out alot of routes
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 23:42   #6
BHPian
 
nitin.rai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 327
Thanked: 235 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak
One thing is for sure that everything you do while off roading looks simpler in pictures and videos that actually it is in reality , this is going by my personal experience wherein i feel that certain things could have been done very easily when i look at the pictures post the event

Here is one video showing a similar example

Welcome to the club buddy! Notice your posts on DBBR.

A word of caution from a fellow rider - a knee guard (Astar or cramster bionic); elbow guard, spine protector, boots (at least magnum) to take the bike weight & a full face helmet (not even the flip open type as it has a tendency to pop open when hit directly) IS A MUST. A complete riding kit s the best. Have done about 30k kms of touring and offloading in Rajasthan/leh etc.

I have seen really bad days in my college days and that's why the suggestion. Jagged teeth stand testimony.

A nice to have would be Dunlop buttons and see the difference.

Thump it up!
nitin.rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 04:24   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
harishnayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DELHI
Posts: 1,388
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Nice Shots Harish-I am sure it would have been one hell of an experience.

RE's have been used for offroading,and infact in motorsports as well.
Even,i have tried them off the road at times,but somehow,their weight(they get bogged down easily),and a weak clutch-especially on the older cast iron CI's have put me off.
I've been having lots of fun so far , it's been almost 2 months since i started doing it at different locations. Such kind of off roading does happen in events like the Riders mania however it's subjected to rules etc but im looking at hard core off roading which i guess is little easier with the Twinspark engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
nice to see the off road snaps, Harish. As Akshay have said, I too have tried taking couple of my bulls off the road, but the weight and the weak clutch was not really helpful (my bulls were CI) - but it was really fun.

Once the off road bug bites you, it is very tough to shake it off

Adding couple of pictures which I have with me:

Attachment 861529

Attachment 861530

OT: I have seen bullets prepared for off road use with some riders of RTMC - if you have any contacts, you can get more details about the mods and the rides.
Thanks Bro. Would be posting pictures in tonnes soon. I'm into it completely now and as you mentioned the bug has already bitten me

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
if you like some crazy adventure - try the Manger to damdama trail. puncture infested beyond belief and till a few weeks back, there was a waist high stream to cross.

drop me an email and will send you more trail GPS trails if u want - our pedalyatri.in cycling group loves trails like crazy - the seniors have really mapped out a lot of routes
I've done Dum Dama thrice but am not sure about the trail that you just mentioned. I now have a group of enthusiasts who want to do it every weekend , I'm yet to try water crossing and complete rock surface. It would be great if you can send me the GPS trail of this location on harishnayak777@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
Welcome to the club buddy! Notice your posts on DBBR.

A word of caution from a fellow rider - a knee guard (Astar or cramster bionic); elbow guard, spine protector, boots (at least magnum) to take the bike weight & a full face helmet (not even the flip open type as it has a tendency to pop open when hit directly) IS A MUST. A complete riding kit s the best. Have done about 30k kms of touring and offloading in Rajasthan/leh etc.

I have seen really bad days in my college days and that's why the suggestion. Jagged teeth stand testimony.

A nice to have would be Dunlop buttons and see the difference.

Thump it up!
I also vaguely remember seeing your name there. I've attended 2 of them so far ( one to Sohna and the other to badkal lake and the next one is on 7th Jan ).

I do have a cramster jacket , Pro biker gloves , Army combat boots ( pretty strong and safe - also saved my ankle in a recent off roading fall while climbing a sandy incline of 45 degrees ).

Dunlop buttons ..Do you mean tyres?
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 09:24   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,369
Thanked: 1,136 Times
Default Re: Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post

I do have a cramster jacket , Pro biker gloves , Army combat boots ( pretty strong and safe - also saved my ankle in a recent off roading fall while climbing a sandy incline of 45 degrees ).

Dunlop buttons ..Do you mean tyres?
I echo nithin - in fact, I came today morning to post the same thing here.

Add a good pair of gauntlet gloves, and a riding pants \ knee guard and a good helmet too - ditch the current flip open type and go for some good one from AGV, HJC etc.

I would prefer a riding pant over a knee guard but at least a knee guard is a must.

Button type of tyres gives you much better grip off the road. I had MRF button type tyres on my bull, but sadly I am not able to find more details now. Please stay away from MRF meteor - the round profile one - they are prone to skid in rains.

Try your hands at fixing punctures - on an off road trip, the know-how to fix the puncture \ swap the tube will be really helpful.
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 20:36   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
harishnayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DELHI
Posts: 1,388
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India

Here are few more videos of the obstacle that we got while Off roading in the death valley. Lot of assistance was required from fellow bulleteers and the rider had to get down to clear the obstacle.

Although it doesn't look that tough in the video but in reality it was.

This is while going up



This was while coming down - relatively easier



This guy did it pretty smoothly but this style affects the machine more than the previous one

harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 21:13   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,452 Times
Default Re: Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
I've done Dum Dama thrice but am not sure about the trail that you just mentioned. I now have a group of enthusiasts who want to do it every weekend , I'm yet to try water crossing and complete rock surface. It would be great if you can send me the GPS trail of this location on harishnayak777@gmail.com
A Dream Come True: Off Road cycling By Night To Manger and Damdama Lake should help u.

email him on firstname.lastname on gmail ref the gps tracks
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 23:05   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
harishnayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DELHI
Posts: 1,388
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Off Roading on Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
A Dream Come True: Off Road cycling By Night To Manger and Damdama Lake should help u.

email him on firstname.lastname on gmail ref the gps tracks

Wow , A 11 km trail and that too at night on cyles. Read the entire story and was pretty impressed , i sure want to do something like this as it would be challenging than ever and what with ending up drinking tea and having dinner with the villagers.

I'm sorry but i could not figure out the last name of the gentleman who wrote this article. I do understand for a fact that it would be very tough for me to convince my friends to do a night off roading and that too at that hour however i'm sure i'll make it one day.
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal Enfield's factory built custom motorcycles - Dirty Duck & Mo' Powa' //M Motorbikes 2 1st August 2016 22:40
Royal Enfield's War-Inspired Motorcycles & Gear! Launched at Rs. 2.25 L, sold out in minutes! petrolhead_neel Motorbikes 33 22nd February 2016 09:27
Enfield Off-Roading - Neliyampathy Ride_4_Fortune Travelogues 11 28th May 2011 14:41
Royal Enfield UCE500 Engine gets a Forged 535cc Piston Kit from Hitchcock Motorcycles jkdas Motorbikes 0 11th April 2011 10:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:22.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks