Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 29th December 2011, 13:12   #1
Default Advice & guidance needed for engine overhaul- Yamaha Libero 2003

Hi Bhpians,
I have a Libero 2003 model( the first lots with bug eyed lamp) which has run for about 59,000Km.

After I got used to daily commuting on car,it has been kept completely idle for more than an year .Only a month ago , I dusted it off and got it serviced ( at local garage). The mechanic warned me that engine is approaching reboring point and its consuming oil. He showed me oil deposits at the end of muffler.( oil changes were irregular)

The bike which hitherto used to hit 7.5k rpm at topend ( i didn't try further), now struggles to cross 6.5K rpm. Vibrations are remarkably strong from 6k rpm onwards. Fuel efficiency dropped to 50Kmpl. I had seen figures of 72kmpl on this earlier.

So, even though all these are tell tale signs of severe problems, I still didn't get it fixed immediately for two reasons:
1. I don't have the knowledge of what to get done and how that will be done.
2. Without such knowledge , I would only get fleeced and feared to see more things broken than they are now.

A little background:
This bike is bought by my father to me ( yes in college). Don't ask me why I choose it among all bikes back then , it was only a gut feeling and I don't regret.
And since my father is no more, this bike is even dearer to me. So whatever it becomes, I don't intend to sell it. Restoring may be painful but I am willing to bear it. On a side note, I booked a c350, so this will be a good backup bike anyway.

Present state of the bike:

Changed the bug eyed head lamp to round one.( Damaged the original HL in a fall few years ago.)
Removed the fake air scoops.( Again they broke during the fall.) I didn't bother to get new ones, I like it better without them.
Goes upto 60kmph in its own manner and beyond that is a strenuous exercise.
Replaced muffler and clutch plates a few (3-4) years ago.
Have to replace the switch gear as switches have become hard.
Requires replacement of front tyre and both rims.

Wish list:

Wish to replace rear shock absorbers with compatible gas filled ones.
Wish to get the bike painted in porcelain white color.(original is black )
Restore it to stock in all other manners.

Now I request advice and guidance from my beloved bhpians on the process of engine overhaul and best way to get it done.

From my research this is what I surmised:
1. Better than tinkering with existing bore or reboring, I should go with a new bore and piston kit. And may be valve seats, valve guides and engine seals.
2. The new bore and piston kit for the bike costs rs.1800. Don't know about other smaller parts.
3. Clutch seems fine but if needed will change it.
4. Sprockets and chain will be checked and replaced if needed.
5. It may take anytime between 2-3 days( optimistically) to get all this work done.

Things I still wonder about:

1. Apart from new bore kit, valves seats and guides, engine seals what else may I need to replace/ repair. Timing chain is one thing I can guess.

2. What is the order of getting things done. Do they install new bore first and repair other parts later or how?

3.Does gear box also need to be worked on?

4.I can't continuously sit with the mechanic for 2-3 days at a stretch,owing to other demanding responsibilities. So, one option is to go with a.s.s center. Alternatively can I get these things done one day at a time?In that case I can go with good local mech.

5.What other things should I address to ensure reliability post this overhaul? Rather than going for bore kit, is it advisable to go for totally new head and cylinder ( have to consider cost also) ?

6.Hyderabad folks, could you please suggest a reliable and honest mech who specializes in engine work. Would be grateful if someone can recommend a good bike painter as well. Distance is not a problem if the mech's skill is worth the trouble going there.

Afterall, this is only a 110cc bike but it is dear to me and reliability is my top most priority. So all this sweating about seemingly small stuff, if some one is wondering why.
deetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 17:24   #2
Default Re: Advice & guidance needed for engine overhaul- Yamaha Libero 2003

Any luck with a good mechanic? I too own a 2005 Libero G5 and need to speak to a good mech. Please let me know if you find one anywhere in Hyd.
chbpreddy is offline   Reply With Quote