Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 1st January 2012, 10:37   #1
Default R15 V2 Initial Ownership Experience

Hi Fellow Team BHPians – Happy New Year. This is my first post in Team BHP and hope the review would be useful.

I was owning an RX100 (1991) I was the 3rd owner. I got it modded for power n performance. Though it was still a charm to drive my mind was pushing me for a change. After a lot of dilemma between P220, ZMR, FZ finally booked RE CL500 :-) around May ‘11. But I don’t know the courtship period with RE would still urge my mind for keep looking at other beauties :-). Well that is why I got attracted by R15 V2. Saw the display in PVR Chennai and couldn’t resist anymore. Next day went to Sri Motors Chennai and booked the bike. I was lucky to get it delivered on the last week of Sep ‘11. “Red n White R15 V2”. But the unlucky part was the bike was not approved by RTO for registration . My heights of excitement turned to heights of disappointment. So had to wait till the last week of October to get the bike registered. I dint want to attract any attention from cops riding an unregistered bike. So was regularly cleaning and covering the bike!! Believe me my bike’s odo was reading only 40km after one month while I took it for registration. By then it was already due for 1st service. I quickly added 140 Kms extra and gave it for 1st service with 180 odo. No complaints or observations so far.

1st service: Engine oil, oil filter were changed. Chain cleaned and lubed, Teflon coating done and regular 1st service checks.

Ok now, it started raining in Chennai so why would anyone want to take new bike out, so again waiting for my honeymoon time. Yah you all read me. I started getting disappointed again. Well not anymore after all the rains stopped. Since then have been seeing jealous faces on road and that brings a lotta smile and pride on my face .

Now let’s get on with the bike’s review. You should all know that I am a little over 6 ft tall and on the heavier side. Odo is now reading 1150.

What is had done till now:

1) Done with 1st service as already said.
2) And so oil and oil filter change at 180kms odo
3) Chain cleaning and lube at 180kms odo
4) Oil change at 450kms odo (just to make sure this better helps in engine run-in)
5) Chain lube at 450kms odo (same reason)
6) Oil and oil filter change at 1000kms odo (same reason)
7) Chain cleaning and lube at 1000kms odo (same reason again J)
8) Oil used is Yamalube semi synthetic.

My observations so far:

1) Decent low and mid end torque and marvelous high end. Drop in pick up with a pillion rider. Max pay load is 199 and had another heavy pillion rider recently and could see an observable drop in pickup with almost 199 kgs weight on the bike. This was tested after 750km odo.
2) Pretty good mileage (have not revved so far as the engine is still in run in) getting 40kmpl in city. I use BP Speed with octane 91.
3) Good cornering capability. I feel that this bike is designed for a good control during cornering and supports the need to bring itself back to position later. Though this is controlled by the rider, I think bike is also designed that way.
4) Bike is heavy with broader tyres so there is good traction. I have always been using Nitrogen to fill the tyres. Due to its molecular size the seepage is less. Also it has good heat dissipation capability so the tyre life would be good.
5) Started developing a bad wrist pain as all my heavy weight drops on my wrist. So still trying to find good riding position. Feel like stretching and screaming after a 30mins of ride.
6) Good horn & Headlights could have been better.
7) Would not be a good bet in traffic for taller people.
8) The foot rest, great shifter and side stand are so closely placed for any one with long or broad feet that they will end up hammering to 1st gear with foot while starting from a signal. Have done this couple of times.
9) The honeymoon period should have some patience as this kind of bike might test your patience during run-in. But believe me hold on to your long breaths and huhs.

Planning to complete 1500 in next 2 weeks max and give the bike for 2nd service. Planning for a long drive after that.

Will keep posted on further observations. Meanwhile please feel free to add your suggestions or comments.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st January 2012 at 10:50. Reason: 2 smileys max per post, please do read the rules before continuing. Thanks.
drivemecraze is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012, 12:24   #2

Drivemecraze, Welcome to team-bhp and a Happy New Year to you too.
Liked your review and would like to add that some pics would be great. Nice to know about your 10+ years of experience with bikes.
rajanprash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 02:36   #3
Default Re: R15 V2 Initial Ownership Experience

Congrats drivemecraze . Wishing you lots of happy miles on your bike. Have fun and ride safe
bluenicotine is offline   Reply With Quote