Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2012, 07:13   #136
BHPian

Default re: Royal Enfield TBTS 500 unveiled EDIT Now Launched

Nice Video! Two things i noticed, the Front "Mud Guard", has it always been that way? It looks like its been flicked from an Avenger. Also, the Front Indicators, if you watch @0.53 in the video, its keeps shaking. Is this normal too?
bond_bhai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12th October 2012, 09:35   #137
BHPian

I was expecting some changes from what was exhibited in AutoExpo.
Rear section looks similar to 100cc bike, small LED tail lamp & exhaust doesn't gel with image of RE.
Has overall length or wheelbase reduced compared to TBTS 350 OR is it angle of images making it appear that way?
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 10:50   #138
Senior - BHPian

I really don't know how RE after sales support is gonna manage all these gizmos.

It takes atleast a couple of visits to the service center to fix even a simple oil leak problem. Even after 4 visits to the SC the problem has surfaced again.

And the trip meter in the odo runs its own race.

The decision to spend those big $$$ on a RE should most prolly come only from the heart and not from the head.

The new version of tbts looks like a refurbished chinese retro cruiser.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 12th October 2012 at 10:52.
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 10:55   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post
Nice Video! Two things i noticed, the Front "Mud Guard", has it always been that way? It looks like its been flicked from an Avenger. Also, the Front Indicators, if you watch @0.53 in the video, its keeps shaking. Is this normal too?
I have the TBTS 350, so I'll try to answer those queries. The mud guard was narrower, a lot closer to the wheel in the TBTS 350 and didn't expose as much of the tyre as in the TB500. You can check pictures in my garage album if you wish to compare more details.

The front indicators shaking is definitely something new in the TB500. The TBTS350 has those chrome indicators which are well screwed in to their slots, and don't move even if you try manually shaking them.

The ones in the video seem to be some kind of rubber mounts which are bend-able. While I wouldn't like flimsy indicators which vibrate while on the move, I would prefer rubber indicators which do tilt a bit with minor shunts. This is especially required if you park in closely spaced parking lots with other bikers nudging your bike. I can't count the number of times I have replaced these chrome indicators (which, by the way, cost 280 Rs. a piece)

Last edited by KarthikK : 12th October 2012 at 11:23.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 12:41   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I have the TBTS 350,
Hey Karthik, You have always been moaning about the lack of top end grunt or the cruising ability, why dont you give the 500 a good shot and think of upgrading your 350? Let me know if you are game for one
ku69rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 13:12   #141
BHPian

I am trying to open the website since morning but once i click on any of the motorcyle, the website tries to load the pages but fails even after an hour.
is anybody facing the same?
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 13:49   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Hey Karthik, You have always been moaning about the lack of top end grunt or the cruising ability, why dont you give the 500 a good shot and think of upgrading your 350? Let me know if you are game for one
Mahesh sir, I gave that idea a thought, but then decided against it. While I respect the abilities of the TB500, there are quite a few reasons why I will avoid upgrading to RE at this astronomical price :

- I don't believe this thing deserves ~2L of money for the iffy, hand-assembled, coarse build quality that the bike will come with.

- The after-sales service is pathetic, and the staff are either totally ignorant or totally unapproachable and negligent, or both. I have become sick of dealing with these guys. The TB 500 with more complex electronics and the FI will only make things worse for them, and for me . They refuse to attend to ad-hoc issues immediately, and to get a booking slot for service, we have to wait 1 month. 3rd party garages are not an option.

- Cost of maintenance of the TBTS 350, with a servicing of once in 3-4 months is 2000-3000 bucks on average. That's 10-12k per year roughly. There are way too many part replacements, frequent irritating niggles, horrible part quality issues also, in between services. While it feels good when you are riding the bike, the niggles just wipe out the pleasure every now and then.

On the whole, if I were looking for a trouble-free vehicle at this price range, I would steer clear of the RE stable. Hardcore Enfield thumpers may flame me for these comments, but I am putting forth my experience with an RE product. If only Royal Enfield was slightly "Loyal" instead of just "Royal", I would have been a happier customer *lol* upgrading to the TB 500.

P.S - I would probably look at the Ninja 650R as my next upgrade , so you might soon find company for your long rides

Last edited by KarthikK : 12th October 2012 at 13:52.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 13:53   #143
BHPian

Website is opening fine now. The old TBTS 350 is still there but it has now got a new silencer. Seems like the updates from the TBTS 500 are not present on the new TBTS 350. Maybe this silencer is an offroad accessory like the classic upswet silencer.
Attached Images

datvichrox2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 14:07   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- The after-sales service is pathetic, and the staff are either totally ignorant or totally unapproachable and negligent, or both. I have become sick of dealing with these guys. The TB 500 with more complex electronics and the FI will only make things worse for them, and for me .
P.S - I would probably look at the Ninja 650R as my next upgrade , so you might soon find company for your long rides
Just out of curiosity where do you get the bullet serviced?
TB500 from the way it has been built should not be a complex electronics set up a la XUV, since they have only an ECU fitted on it. ECU in an idealist world should spare you lesser visits to the showroom, as long as the cycling parts and oil are well taken care of.
Wow 12K for a TB350 ? my FZ service bills after riding it for 6000+ Kms costed me less to maintain. My Sheet says that I have spent 6500 for the Service including the oil change and Oil Filter replacement which have been done twice now.
The Ninja 650 2012 is a real good step up mate, go for it. Its worth every penny but not quite sure how hard it would be on the pockets for regular services.
ku69rd is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 14:15   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....Wow 12K for a TB350 ?
Servicing my car has now proved to be much cheaper and less horrifying than servicing this beast!
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 14:37   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by datvichrox2 View Post
Website is opening fine now. The old TBTS 350 is still there but it has now got a new silencer. Seems like the updates from the TBTS 500 are not present on the new TBTS 350. Maybe this silencer is an offroad accessory like the classic upswet silencer.
oh my god! this is hideous! the designer ought to be fired immediately. Who thought of a moto-GP styled exhaust for a Royal Enfield!

Quote:
Just out of curiosity where do you get the bullet serviced?
TB500 from the way it has been built should not be a complex electronics set up a la XUV, since they have only an ECU fitted on it. ECU in an idealist world should spare you lesser visits to the showroom, as long as the cycling parts and oil are well taken care of.
Wow 12K for a TB350 ? my FZ service bills after riding it for 6000+ Kms costed me less to maintain. My Sheet says that I have spent 6500 for the Service including the oil change and Oil Filter replacement which have been done twice now.
The Ninja 650 2012 is a real good step up mate, go for it. Its worth every penny but not quite sure how hard it would be on the pockets for regular services.
I give it at the brand service outlet next to Shopper's stop road (NS Palya). Ideally, yes the maintenance part for the FI should be a bit better than the carb version but knowing these guys, they will mess up something on the TB 500 too, for sure. Oh yeah 12k on average is my annual maintenance cost. I don't think I had spent more than 12k on my Maruti Swift in 3.5 years !

The Ninja 650R might be expensive to maintain, but as a customer, I won't mind paying that since its a well built product and has very decent quality on par with international standards (anyway I'm bankrupt now to think of buying 1 *lol*). The TB, I am sorry to say, is crudely hand-built and the quality of parts is seriously undeserving of the prices they charge. To be quite honest, this brand is only surviving because of the cult status it enjoys among RE enthusiasts, and because there is no better cruiser out there than the Thunderbird, at the moment. I would like to see how RE reacts if and when another manufacturer undercuts RE's inflated prices and launches better, more reliable products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Servicing my car has now proved to be much cheaper and less horrifying than servicing this beast!
+1 to this, I totally agree

Last edited by KarthikK : 12th October 2012 at 15:02.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 15:31   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by datvichrox2 View Post
The 350CC pics on their website, i guess its from the old model and not yet updated. The "New" 350 comes with same features as 500 model. Read in another forum, the Engine in the 350CC remains unchanged, its the same old only the exteriors have changed. Attached is the mail that has been sent to people who have made TBTS 350CC bookings.
Attached Images

bond_bhai is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 15:36   #148
BHPian

After reading all the negative comments from the RE users, I feel sad that RE could not deliver a problem free bike even at this cost. It is beyond me to reason out why they haven't addressed this reliability problem, considering the demand their bikes create.

I sincerely hope and wish that some other Indian bike manufacturer gives RE a run for their money by developing a cruiser (a la Thunderbird) that has retro looks but modern reliable engine with a sweet exhaust note that we expected from cruisers.

If RE does not have the engineering capability to develop a problem free bike, the management should probably think of growing inorganically by acquiring a relevant engine maker with engineering prowess.

Will there be a Tbhp review of this bike?

Last edited by mTorque : 12th October 2012 at 15:37. Reason: Typo correction
mTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 16:25   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post
The 350CC pics on their website, i guess its from the old model and not yet updated. The "New" 350 comes with same features as 500 model. Read in another forum, the Engine in the 350CC remains unchanged, its the same old only the exteriors have changed. Attached is the mail that has been sent to people who have made TBTS 350CC bookings.
Thanks for that info. The RE website surely is misleading, as the current pictures of TBTS 350 have the different silencer. Maybe someone uploaded the wrong set of images!
datvichrox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 16:58   #150
BHPian

Quote:

- I don't believe this thing deserves ~2L of money for the iffy, hand-assembled, coarse build quality that the bike will come with.

There are way too many part replacements, frequent irritating niggles, horrible part quality issues also, in between services. While it feels good when you are riding the bike, the niggles just wipe out the pleasure every now and then.

On the whole, if I were looking for a trouble-free vehicle at this price range, I would steer clear of the RE stable. Hardcore Enfield thumpers may flame me for these comments, but I am putting forth my experience with an RE product. If only Royal Enfield was slightly "Loyal" instead of just "Royal", I would have been a happier customer *lol* upgrading to the TB 500.
Cannot agree more. My views are not just about the pricepoint either. For me, even if RE gives a 3L bike, it is going to have its share of problems and niggles.

Quote:
To be quite honest, this brand is only surviving because of the cult status it enjoys among RE enthusiasts, and because there is no better cruiser out there than the Thunderbird, at the moment. I would like to see how RE reacts if and when another manufacturer undercuts RE's inflated prices and launches better, more reliable products.
Yes, Bulletteers, both new and old (not in terms of age) are keeping RE alive. I believe that they have been closing their eyes and minds to the problems that RE has with every iteration of a bike they release. So RE gets it customers, does not give a damn and enjoys a false "cult" status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTorque View Post
After reading all the negative comments from the RE users, I feel sad that RE could not deliver a problem free bike even at this cost. It is beyond me to reason out why they haven't addressed this reliability problem, considering the demand their bikes create.

I sincerely hope and wish that some other Indian bike manufacturer gives RE a run for their money by developing a cruiser (a la Thunderbird) that has retro looks but modern reliable engine with a sweet exhaust note that we expected from cruisers.
I really hope so too. But this has not happened and neither do I think it will happen any time soon. So RE continues its trade without bothering to kill the problems with their bikes.

But to many bikers, it is about the heart - so they will go ahead and buy the TBTS 500 and trust me, it will sell well. Oh well, anyone want my Thunderbird?
naveenroy is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote