Old 12th October 2012, 17:43   #151
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Royal Enfield TBTS 500 unveiled EDIT Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
A heavy Duty page of almost 8 Mb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
the website tries to load the pages but fails even after an hour.
So their website is just like their bikes , bulky and full of niggles!

Even I am trying to open that page from long but it refuse to open.

Can anyone please post a video of the TB500's exhaust note ?
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 21:50   #152
BHPian

sinhsha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 21:55   #153
BHPian

I have owned a TBTS for the last 3.5 years (~30,000 km). Apart from regular servicing and repair for damage caused by crashing it (thrice!), I have spent money only for

1. two clutch-wire replacements
2. An oil-seal change
3. The most substantial cost was for the replacement of an inner sprocket that reqired the engine to be opened ~ Rs 3000/-

I don't know where this figure of maintenance costs of Rs 1000-2000 per month comes from.

No, I won't buy the new TBTS 500 because

1. I am quite happy with my TBTS 350.

2. I don't have that kind of money to blow.

3. I will not buy a heavy bike which does not have ABS (those three crashes have taught me that! Two of them could have been prevented by ABS).

Also, I suggest that members of this forum test-ride a bike before criticizing it. You have more credibility that way
Rollin' Thunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 23:55   #154
BHPian

Autocar's video review of the TB500:

http://www.autocarindia.com/Video/31...ia+Videos+feed
racingmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 02:01   #155
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield TBTS 500 unveiled EDIT Now Launched

Pardon my ignorance in matters motorcycle, but isn't 27 bhp from a 500 cc engine a paltry output at best ? And retro appeal aside, are there any other reasons why Enfield may have stuck to a single cylinder configuration even for 500 cc's of displacement ?

Perhaps Enfield wishes to remain in the niche of 'leisure motorcycling'.
NinadJoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 03:31   #156
Senior - BHPian

I'm just speculating but I believe Royal Enfield stayed with the 500cc single for the same reason Harley Davidson stayed with a V-Twin.

It's traditional and people love the sound.
ArizonaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 04:02   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I'm just speculating but I believe Royal Enfield stayed with the 500cc single for the same reason Harley Davidson stayed with a V-Twin.

It's traditional and people love the sound.
True, RE is sticking to its niche. They may perhaps bring out the biggest single cylinder engine in future. (I believe Suzuki makes 800 cc single cylinder bikes).

HD has stuck with its V-twin config just as Ducati has retained its "L" over the years. HD juggles 5 (or is it 6) different engines though.
NinadJoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 22:28   #158
Senior - BHPian

I booked the TB 500 today. It was tough a tough decision and I kept vacillating between 500 Classic and the TB . Finally it was th comfort of the bike that swayed me to go in for it. I am short, and the TB's lower saddle hight was a cotributing factor. Thae fact that it has a rear disc brake was also a contibuting factor along with dollops of chrome.

One thing that I will change is the new exhaust. It is totally out of character with the bike. Would like coments from the experts on the effects of changing the exhaust.The dealer has commited to deliver it in one month. This will be one long month.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 23:01   #159
BHPian

I agree the exhaust looks like someone plugged it from one of the many plastic bikes around ..RE and their Amazing skills !!..
The engine is same as the classic ,i would recommend changing the end can with any of the standard silences without changing anything on the bend pipe .Should work well with improved mid range power and good aesthetics ..

prashanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
I booked the TB 500 today. It was tough a tough decision and I kept vacillating between 500 Classic and the TB . Finally it was th comfort of the bike that swayed me to go in for it. I am short, and the TB's lower saddle hight was a cotributing factor. Thae fact that it has a rear disc brake was also a contibuting factor along with dollops of chrome.

One thing that I will change is the new exhaust. It is totally out of character with the bike. Would like coments from the experts on the effects of changing the exhaust.The dealer has commited to deliver it in one month. This will be one long month.
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 00:14   #160
BHPian

Quote:
I booked the TB 500 today.
Congrats! Happy Thumping!

Quote:
You should be able to install after mart exhaust. Similar to how it started with Classic 500.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 00:34   #161
BHPian

I was waiting for this machine to be on roads . I enquired sometime back in July and had forgotten completely. I seriously think is it wise to spend 1.85L. Yes I love RE machines but wait I am not an crazy fan of only RE . I should be requiring a bike soon because of the mad traffic in Bangalore which costs me a lot of time in travelling by car and don't know whether I will end up with tb 500 . No comparison RE with p200ns, but I feel its pretty friendly in terms of maintenance costs and also less niggles. Lets see whats gonna happen .
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 01:59   #162
BHPian

Quote:
I booked the TB 500 today. ...This will be one long month.
Congrats rajneesh! 1 month is for sure shorter than the 8 momths one has to endure for a few other models Hopefully you get the bike earlier and we will be treated with a first hand ownership report?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I was waiting for this machine to be on roads . I enquired sometime back in July and had forgotten completely. I seriously think is it wise to spend 1.85L. Yes I love RE machines but wait I am not an crazy fan of only RE . I should be requiring a bike soon because of the mad traffic in Bangalore which costs me a lot of time in travelling by car and don't know whether I will end up with tb 500 . No comparison RE with p200ns, but I feel its pretty friendly in terms of maintenance costs and also less niggles. Lets see whats gonna happen .
Short & hopefully sweet advice: If it brings a broad smile when you drive the beast, then go for it eyes closed. You will anyways need to baby it a bit (unless ~0.2 million rupees is peanuts for you).
vinjosep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 08:51   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
I have owned a TBTS for the last 3.5 years (~30,000 km). Apart from regular servicing and repair for damage caused by crashing it (thrice!), I have spent money only for

1. two clutch-wire replacements
2. An oil-seal change
3. The most substantial cost was for the replacement of an inner sprocket that reqired the engine to be opened ~ Rs 3000/-

I don't know where this figure of maintenance costs of Rs 1000-2000 per month comes from.
All I would assume at this stage is you are either probably a very lucky customer, or else you are not using the bike much. Almost every other customer whom I've met at the service centre has the same complaint about frequent niggles, astronomically priced spare parts and poor workmanship at the service centres (more so in Bangalore). So rest assured, I am not fabricating false information about the service costs. I would love to provide details here on the kind of niggles I have faced which add up to the costs I mentioned, but it would be seriously OT in this thread.

For the record, my monthly running is around 1500-1800km, since I drive this daily to and from office (60km per weekday), plus miscellaneous errands on weekends. I'd been biking to office with a P220 carb version earlier, and believe me, that was a hoot to maintain, compared to this bull. As a daily commuter bike, all I want in it is basic reliability of being able to take me from point A to point B without something or the other conking every other day. I find this lacking. Of course, the riding pleasure is amazing in the T-bird 350, and I'm sure the 500 must be better in every manner.

All I was trying to do was convey to potential buyers some of the pitfalls with this brand before they decide to plonk 2L of hard earned money on this bike. As much as I love riding the TB350, thinking from a rational point of view (leaving out the amazing riding experience), one has to admit that they're no way on par with some of the other manufacturers' products at that price range, in terms of part quality / reliability, fit and finish of the product and servicing experience.

Fortunately or otherwise, there is no other cruiser at this price range so RE will continue to laugh all the way to the bank, with an 8 month waiting period and a 2L price tag for customers to contend with.

Quote:
Also, I suggest that members of this forum test-ride a bike before criticizing it. You have more credibility that way
I was criticizing the potential ownership experience of the bike, rather than the bike itself .

Last edited by KarthikK : 14th October 2012 at 09:01.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 10:02   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
All I would assume at this stage is you are either probably a very lucky customer, or else you are not using the bike much.
AFAIK from all the experiences I heard over the past one year about Royal Enfield, I thought TBTS 350 was a relatively niggle free bike.

Take for example, my friend who got his thunderbird from UP, the only issue was that of the headlamp getting fused on the first day. After that he hasn't had any unpleasant experiences with the bike. I keep reading the forums and ask him if he has faced any of those niggles, but he insists he just had only regular servicing done thats all. No clutch wire replacements, No battery charging, earthing issues.

But then this is a one off case I guess. I always tell him he's really very lucky. The bike runs smooth. It does have gearbox issues as it sometimes misses a gear and gets into neutral. But overall its been a relatively niggle free experience for him. will enquire about his service costs later.

I wish RE made the customer service experience a lot better. Their high handed and know it all attitude was a major put off for me. I did face it in other showrooms too, but those bikes didn't have a waiting period. If Harley Davidson and other manufacturers can make relatively niggle free and powerful bikes, why can't RE. If HD launches an India only product with a 3 lakh price tag, Im sure noone in their right mind would opt for RE until they make reliable bikes.

Frankly, I love to ride bullets and have ridden almost all of them except the DS500, but I don't like the headache associated with them as I don't have the time to handle all that right now. Plus the fear of being stranded on the highway, with noone to help, not even the company is also a scary thought.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 21:32   #165
BHPian

Quote:
All I would assume at this stage is you are either probably a very lucky customer, or else you are not using the bike much.
I mentioned that I had ridden ~30,000km in 3.5 years, which makes me a moderate rider. I don't commute on the bike, I admit I am a week-end rider.

Quote:
Almost every other customer whom I've met at the service centre has the same complaint about frequent niggles, astronomically priced spare parts and poor workmanship at the service centres (more so in Bangalore).
Whenever you are in a hospital, you only meet people who are ill!
There are many more owners of TBTS who go to the Service center just to get their bikes its regular servicing. They drop off their bike and pick it up a day later, spending 15 minutes at most in the center. This gives you less time to meet them. You are more likely to meet guys who have been hanging around to get some deep-seated problem fixed, even if these guys are a minority of RE owners.

Quote:
So rest assured, I am not fabricating false information about the service costs. I would love to provide details here on the kind of niggles I have faced which add up to the costs I mentioned, but it would be seriously OT in this thread.
I am in no way negating your experience, I am just pointing out that there are others, like me, who have had an extremely positive experience with RE, which is why the brand survives.

Last edited by Rollin' Thunda : 14th October 2012 at 21:34.
Rollin' Thunda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote