Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 14th November 2012, 12:03   #226
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield TBTS 500 unveiled EDIT Now Launched

Got my Thunderbird 500 on Sunday Nov 11. Took the bike to office on Monday . I have clocked close to 100 km on the bike. Will be uploading a detailed initial ownership review with pictures by the week end.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 12:25   #227

Congratulations Rajneeesh!!! The first to get hands on TBTS 500. Will be eagerly looking forward to your review, comments and pictures.
cjrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 15:36   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Akshay - I have no actual need for a bullet but I want to buy one in shining black color with lots of chrome to fulfil my latent desire for leisure use on a lazy Sunday morning, that's the only day I still get free, that too sometimes! I agree with your suggestion to buy new and I don't mind the price tag too, but what about the horror stories surrounding the reliability factor? The thing must start first time and every single time when I press that red button (which will be once in 7 days if I am lucky or even once in a month), it must work on the road out there, all gears must shift and shift "properly", not "shove to engage", they must shift with the same clinical precision and finesse, shift after shift after shift after shift. I will just not accept statistical variability, let alone getting stuck in thrid gear etc. If it does not work, my whole reason for buying goes for a toss. I don't have time to fight with a guy who is at best a messenger / intermediary agency like a dealer, as I have 100 other things to do, so I cannot run around behind this guy and get a nonsecical reply as rightly posted by adnaps 11 posts below.
Sir, i am afraid your requirement of a hassle free, well engineered, well refined and reliable bike will not be met by any model from royal enfield, be it the CI, AVL or UCE. Even an old CI, well restored, will have its share of niggles, if not spent time with. Using the bike once a week / once a month may not be an option. hands are prone to get dirty, bolts are prone to get loose, wires/cables are prone to snap, etc. parts will always be hard to comeby, and rust will come in a jiffy taking away the black and shiny chrome, after a couple of monsoons.

As i see it, about 5% of people buy RE for its heritage/history, another 5% but it for its slightly torquey long stroke engine, so that they can chug along on the highway, in small and large groups/clubs, which are plentiful and mushrooming everyday. Resy 90% of the people (especially after the introduction of UCE classics) buy it to look/ feel different. the bling factor. the macho feel. the good looking photos for FB. and the likes. with the kind of crowd liking up at brand stores, soon every second person will have a bullet, and the uniqueness will get lost. in comes something new and different and people will start queing up for that. Right now its lack of other available options in the affordable 350-500 segment which is making most of us wait for 6-8 months for unrefined, under powered, and sub standard quality RE motorcycles. throwing in a few LED indicators, digital speedos, projectors etc will not help the cause, unless RE improves on its tolerances, material quality, electricals, etc. i feel throwing in more tech/ gadgets in to the bike will lead to increased niggles, as was the scene when UCE 350 was compared to UCE 500 with all the EFIs, Sensors, ECUs etc thrown in.

last week, i was returning from masinagudi on my classic 500, and in the bandipur forest, was stopped for help by a group of 5-6 guys on motorcycles. they were on a mix of bikes such as R15, 2 karizmas, one FZ and one old CI bullet. the CI bullet bullet had refused to start and so the commotion. They did not even have the plug spanner. we tried our best but could not manage to restart the bike. so much for simplicity of CI engine. the guys were over-enhu, and were riding hard. other makes could take but not the RE. the combustion chamber was flooded with oil and the plugs had shortened. as expected, they had no spare. i was carrying one but the C5 plug is longer and would not fit the Ci. eventually they had to tow the bike away to the closet town some 17 kms away.

These kind of scene are common when it comes to riding on royal enfield. i have been stranded on my AVL 350. i have been stranded on my C5 and eventually had to tow the bike away in another vehicle. i could say its all a part of the experience, but given a choice of better and efficient motorcycles in the same league and price range i would choose the later
nasirkaka is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 16:46   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Got my Thunderbird 500 on Sunday Nov 11. Took the bike to office on Monday . I have clocked close to 100 km on the bike. Will be uploading a detailed initial ownership review with pictures by the week end.
Congratulations rajneeesh! The first TBTS 500 on this forum. I'm eagerly looking forward to your initial ownership review whilst waiting for mine to come. I did read your other post on "Why bullet" thread and it just confirms my anticipation of yet another winner from RE.
ventoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 22:54   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Congrats man! You are one lucky guy to have it in your hand already. Eagerly awaiting a review. Take care of the beast and happy riding (or thumping - though milder)
sam_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 09:58   #231
Senior - BHPian

Here are some pictures clicked from the showroom. Will record my initial impressions soon!

Royal Enfield TBTS 500 Unveiled. EDIT: Now Launched !!!-camerazoom20121117090338584.jpg <br /> <a href=Royal Enfield TBTS 500 Unveiled. EDIT: Now Launched !!!-camerazoom20121117090428785.jpg <br /> <a href=Royal Enfield TBTS 500 Unveiled. EDIT: Now Launched !!!-camerazoom20121117090446782.jpg <br /> <a href=Royal Enfield TBTS 500 Unveiled. EDIT: Now Launched !!!-camerazoom20121117090514402.jpg <br /> <a href=Royal Enfield TBTS 500 Unveiled. EDIT: Now Launched !!!-camerazoom20121117090658131.jpg <br /> <a href=Royal Enfield TBTS 500 Unveiled. EDIT: Now Launched !!!-camerazoom20121117090709337.jpg <br /> <a href=Royal Enfield TBTS 500 Unveiled. EDIT: Now Launched !!!-camerazoom20121117090726079.jpg <br /> <a href=Royal Enfield TBTS 500 Unveiled. EDIT: Now Launched !!!-camerazoom20121117090801448.jpg   <div style=

Last edited by GTO : 23rd November 2012 at 19:39. Reason: Listing all attachments inline
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 18:03   #232
BHPian

Congrats Rahneeesh!
Me and My friend had booked the TBTS on the 12th and 16th of October respectively. He has already got the delivery of his bike yesterday. In fact it had reached the Showroom last Saturday.
The difference is that He booked It in Jalandhar and I have done it in Hyderabad. Bike cost him 1.6 L on road and they gave him free insurance, and some other stuff.
He is quite happy with the bike, except that the gear shift is too hard.
Insearch is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 20:58   #233
Senior - BHPian

Well he has got a good deal. My on road price is a bit on the higher side due to the extra amount I have had to shell out on the temp regn and the subsequent registration charges in Noida. I believe the taxes are lower in Punjab, so the bike is cheaper there. Free Insurance translates to a further saving of approx 4.6 K. He has got a good deal.

Last edited by rajneeesh : 22nd November 2012 at 20:59.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 08:13   #234
BHPian

Been to RE Jaya Nagar for an update on my booking. They seem to have delivered one or two so far and are expecting to clear mine (12th in list) and few others before end of this month.
So the wait continues..
ventoman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 16:30   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Been to RE Jaya Nagar for an update on my booking. They seem to have delivered one or two so far and are expecting to clear mine (12th in list) and few others before end of this month.
So the wait continues..
Well...I booked at Teknik and they have told me today that I am 43rd on their current list, I wonder how much time they will take to deliver 42 bikes
They have still given a probable date of Jan end - Feb.
The wait continues.......
sausi007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 00:09   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausi007
Well...I booked at Teknik and they have told me today that I am 43rd on their current list, I wonder how much time they will take to deliver 42 bikes
Not sure if the dates are realistic. To deliver 40 bikes in 2 months they need to deliver 20 this month. Multiply this number by the number of dealers and RE has quite a challenge on hand. On the other hand the new factory commisioning date is unclear. If the date of opening is still unclear 2 months before the proposed opening date there are reasons to worry. We can only hope that RE can convert intentions into reality.

The least RE can do is give us a realistic update instead of doling out the 4 months formal and 2 months informal deadlines.
adnaps is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 17:06   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausi007 View Post
When I booked my CL 500 in 2009, I was 31 or 32 in the list. They took 6 months to deliver my bike. I booked at the RE brand store, Chennai. So do your maths here.
diwa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 16:56   #238
BHPian

A road test review for the TB500 by Zigwheels is now out. See here - http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...ad-test/15031/
sam_b is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 18:08   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
A road test review for the TB500 by Zigwheels is now out. See here - http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...ad-test/15031/
Thanks for the link sam, to me, the most striking lines from the review were "The bulbous fuel tank of 20 litres is the perfect companion for when on the road and when you consider the overall mileage figure of 37.2 kmpl which we got in our tests (both city and highway combined), it makes for a tank range of 744km! And if you’re mostly going to be on the highway, then expect both the mileage and range figures to rise drastically"

I was under the impression that the efficiency would be somewhere in the range of 29-32 kmpl. This figure is quite a surprise (a good one, though!).
Old 12th December 2012, 09:57   #240

No new owners? Quite a surprise, I was hoping to see at least a couple of ownership reviews.........