Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 16th June 2016, 11:36   #16
Default Re: Selling your motorcycle -- Checklist for a seller

OK here's another horror story,

- One of my friend sold his vehicle (4 wheeler) to a second hand car dealer. The vehicle was not transferred as it was given to a dealer (common but big mistake)

- The dealer sold the vehicle to person X.

- Smart person X did not transfer the vehicle and the dealer did not bother to intervene.

- The vehicle had a huge accident after 4 months killing the opp vehicle's driver. The family of the driver claims / files accident in court.

- The court sends the notice to original owner (my friend the seller) named in the RC book.

- My friend has to attend the court proceedings on every hearing since 2012 even though he had the delivery note (but it was not stamped and signed in front of a notary hence the court is giving them a hard time, the signed forms 28/29/30 and the delivery note is the only savior but the hassles of going to court is too much stressful)

- Insurance company denying the third party claim on account of sale but no transfer hence void basis

- Person X agrees to do out of court settlement with the deceased's family, after much deliberation and unjust fights with my friend. The harassment what my friend has gone through is too much of a dreadful story.

Moral of the story - Get the delivery note on a stamped paper in front of a notary (hardly it costs a couple of hundred rupees and 30 mins of time)
The Great is offline   Reply With Quote