Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2012, 17:47   #1
BHPian
 
rvmohankumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 77
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Yamaha RX100...At last!!

Hi friends,

This is my newly aquired Yamaha RX100. 1989 model ( reg in Jan 1990).
Run around 69000 kms. It was in bad shape when i purchased it.
Spent around 10k.
Engine was not touched, just a few new bits added.

It runs like a dream and i am very happy owning it.

Now a breif history behind purchasing the RX100.
I had earlier owned a 1987 model Rx100 and used it for over 10 years.
Then later on i moved over to 4 wheelers and neglected RX which was getting deteriorated. MEanwhile i got an oppurtunity to leave to US hence sold my bike for very less money.

After coming back from US i started missing my bike badly and made up my mind to buy a bike. But this time i wanted to get my long time due dream bike YAMAHA RD350, I purchased it...but even after owning it for more than a year my heart was yearing for yamaha rx100...and i started to lookout for good RX100 and ended up buying 2002 model RX135 4 speed with cat silencer. This bike was very good and very neatly maintained too.
But somehow i was not satisfied and finally i got hold of this bike.

I dint not go for complete rebuild since the engine is running smooth and the paint was not bad. (The bike is still with Original paint)


Wish to keep it in the same stock condiition and i may add crash guard and saree guard soon.

A few pics of my old RX100 ( Red color)

Just for comparison, a pic of the bike before purchase, infact it was still in bad shape than this
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha RX100...At last!!-b4.jpeg  

Yamaha RX100...At last!!-1.jpeg  

Yamaha RX100...At last!!-8.jpeg  

Yamaha RX100...At last!!-a3.jpeg  

Yamaha RX100...At last!!-mk_rx100_2.jpg  

Yamaha RX100...At last!!-mk_rx100_3.jpg  

Attached Images
 
rvmohankumar is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 18:12   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default Re: Rx100 at last...

Except the Alfa Toyo's, retro fitted tool box, the 2.75 X 18 tire in the front & the rider's foot rest everything else seems to be original + the missing butterfly crash bar. Its very difficult to get a new one, may be junkyard has one & you'll need to electroplate. The chain guard, meter assy & rear grab rails are OE (treasure...atleast for me).

Pls change the switch to Minda & the throttle grip caps (both upper & under) to give that OE look just like the turn lights.

Its very happy to look a Rx in this condition
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 20:05   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,676
Thanked: 744 Times
Default Re: Rx100 at last...

Mohan, nice neat looking bike there, congrats ! Can you share what all you got done, parts sourced from, their price etc.

It looks like your fork seals are gone, get them corrected if that is the case.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 20:11   #4
BHPian
 
mmxylorider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 654
Thanked: 184 Times
Default Re: Rx100 at last...

Pretty neat condition for a 20 year old bike. Good buy and congrats! Reminds me of my RX135 painted in the same color.

OT - RX thread, aargee's response - guaranteed! you're back ?
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 22:57   #5
BHPian
 
nitin.rai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 327
Thanked: 235 Times
Default

Boy! The pics made my heart twist. Having owned 2 rx100s till in college.
Sooner than later even I plan to pick up one and restore. You just hit a sore nerve real bad.

Congratulations mate! She looks great as stock as possible.
nitin.rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 00:47   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Ym-enjn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 1,039
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Rx100 at last...

Wow reminds me of my Red Rx100 which I had in school and college from 1991 till 1994. Sadly it got stolen and then got insurance claim. Then I forgot about it and today I see your Rx100 and intently want to buy a good piece for myself.

How much did you get it for? and yes a big congrats.
Ym-enjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 09:48   #7
BHPian
 
hiran77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 66
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Rx100 at last...

Hey mohan!

You have just stolen two dreams of mine!

RD 350 and RX 100!

I wisht o have an RX100 soon ore evn a rx135 5 speed would do....but like u mentioned. there is no match for an RX 100. these two bikes (100 and 350) are on my wishlist for a long long time. I bet i dont have to tell u the reason why i havent managed them yet

also....Have currently booked a Classic 350. waiting eagerly for it.

But these two will also be in my garage soon!

Congrats to have actually converted ur dreams to reality!!!
hiran77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 12:44   #8
BHPian
 
rvmohankumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 77
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Rx100 at last...

Guys thanks for your feedback. I am happy if i have kindled some deep desires in your hearts...no matter whichever new bikes comes with latest technology to the market but still it cannot match the sweetness and simplicity of the first batch jap bikes of 80's


Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Except the Alfa Toyo's, retro fitted tool box, the 2.75 X 18 tire in the front & the rider's foot rest everything else seems to be original + the missing butterfly crash bar. Its very difficult to get a new one, may be junkyard has one & you'll need to electroplate. The chain guard, meter assy & rear grab rails are OE (treasure...atleast for me).

Pls change the switch to Minda & the throttle grip caps (both upper & under) to give that OE look just like the turn lights.

Its very happy to look a Rx in this condition
> Alpha toyo's are not available in market now. Fiem and autobird are good too.
> toolbox is a good utility and helps in storing documents too.
> I prefer oversize tyres because i am 5"10 and OE sizes is a bit discomfort for me
> Footrest is from RXZ, I got used to the ones in RD so i prefer something like this.

> New Crashguards are available, will look for old ones if not will buy a new one itself.
> I will leave the switches as it is since they are in good working condition and also i dont want a complete new look to the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Mohan, nice neat looking bike there, congrats ! Can you share what all you got done, parts sourced from, their price etc.

It looks like your fork seals are gone, get them corrected if that is the case.

Spike
> The fork seals are new, maybe the forkleg has some dark stains hence you have this impression.

> The parts that are added new are
- All cables
- All rubber parts
- Center stand pin
- tyre, tubes
- Battery
- indicators
- Bulbs
- T stem bearings
- All lube and oil replaced
- Rear sprocket Hub and rubbers.
- New seat

No work done on engine since it was in top condition.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Wow reminds me of my Red Rx100 which I had in school and college from 1991 till 1994. Sadly it got stolen and then got insurance claim. Then I forgot about it and today I see your Rx100 and intently want to buy a good piece for myself.

How much did you get it for? and yes a big congrats.
Paid 23k for the bike and spend around 10k for parts and service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiran77 View Post
Hey mohan!

You have just stolen two dreams of mine!

RD 350 and RX 100!

I wisht o have an RX100 soon ore evn a rx135 5 speed would do....but like u mentioned. there is no match for an RX 100. these two bikes (100 and 350) are on my wishlist for a long long time. I bet i dont have to tell u the reason why i havent managed them yet

also....Have currently booked a Classic 350. waiting eagerly for it.

But these two will also be in my garage soon!

Congrats to have actually converted ur dreams to reality!!!
You live your life only once....so make your dreams come true before they become too blurr.
rvmohankumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 13:14   #9
BHPian
 
josejoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cochin
Posts: 635
Thanked: 319 Times
Default Re: Rx100 at last...

Dear rvmohankumar, I envy you . You are a lucky man to own RX and RD. I can understand your passion for your bikes by reading your post.

Please take good care of your bikes.

I'm also a hardcore Yamaha fan. Have 2 RXs. But right now I'm estranged from my RXs for past 4 months. Don't know when I'll be back in India.

Missing my bikes so much. Here is the current condition of one of the bike. The other is in workshop.

Yamaha RX100...At last!!-409311_10150570044031278_690291277_11077526_40571376_n.jpg

Thanks,
Jose.
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 14:11   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Ajaybiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,354
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: Rx100 at last...

I think i have seen this bike somewhere
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 18:16   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default Re: Rx100 at last...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
OT - RX thread, aargee's response - guaranteed! you're back ?
Kind of on & off; Tks for the welcome though

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmohankumar View Post
> Alpha toyo's are not available in market now. Fiem and autobird are good too
Lol!!! How many Alfa Toyo do you need? FIEM or anyone for that matter, imitates, but never equaled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Here is the current condition of one of the bike.
Is that KL7X or KL 7 K? Reason to ask is, if its KL7X, then it might be a re-registered. Just wanted to verify on that point.

Last edited by aargee : 13th January 2012 at 18:19.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 18:26   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Yamaha RX100...At last!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmohankumar View Post
This is my newly aquired Yamaha RX100. 1989 model ( reg in Jan 1990).
Congrats Mohan on your new acquisition. She does look neat for a 89er bike. One humble request, can you please take off the YEIS sticker. Pretty sure that the hundred did not have such a system.

Wishing you good miles on the RD & RX. Pray put up some photos off your RD/RX on your garage.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 21:32   #13
BHPian
 
josejoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cochin
Posts: 635
Thanked: 319 Times
Default Re: Rx100 at last...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post


Is that KL7X or KL 7 K? Reason to ask is, if its KL7X, then it might be a re-registered. Just wanted to verify on that point.
Hey Ganesh, this is not a re-reg bike. This is the rarest of Yamaha RX135 Tiger series bike .

- Jose.
josejoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 23:16   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default Re: Rx100 at last...

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Hey Ganesh, this is not a re-reg bike. This is the rarest of Yamaha RX135 Tiger series bike
Oh!!! Ok, makes much sense; I owned one of the last Rx (mfg Dec 2006) from KL 7 & it used to be KL 7 M series.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 15:32   #15
BHPian
 
SriramEfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 139
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Yamaha RX100...At last!!

@rvmohankumar:- Bike looks excellent. To give a complete look, as argee said add mirrors and crash guard. Was any chrome job done? Even the mirror stem looks shining. I'm about to start a complete rebuild so taking cue from this thread.

@aargee:- Alpha Toyo mirrors 1 set please..
SriramEfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yamaha RX100 6V Battery. NitinGirish Motorbikes 11 21st September 2017 06:05
My Yamaha RX100 Cafe Racer modification thread! Dec 09 - back to stock! v12 Motorbikes 279 14th July 2016 02:03
Increasing the fuel efficiency of a Yamaha RX100 badboy Motorbikes 13 28th December 2010 10:09
YetiBlog® - Yamaha RX100 memories Sam Kapasi Motorbikes 139 15th May 2010 01:36
My Yamaha RX100. Need help in Hyderabad kiran1103 Motorbikes 5 19th September 2008 13:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:44.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks