Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 7th April 2012, 20:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Small capacity Triumph confirmed for India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
It will be interesting to see what they sell in India.

The one thing it did not have was sound.

It was so quiet that at an idle I couldn't even hear it running.
Under acceleration it was also totally silent. No roar, no thump, no nothing! :-(

He did say that there were aftermarket silencers available and they could remap the computer to accommodate them but when spending that much money I hoped Triumph would at least offer them for free. No such deal.

I am not "into" excessively loud exhaust pipes but I think a aircooled Triumph twin should at least sound like one of the originals.

Hopefully they will realize how you riders in India love the sound of a strong motorcycle (as we in the US do) but based on what they are trying to sell us, I wouldn't get my hopes up.
I fully agree with AJ's views on the sound.

With the stock pipes the issue is that they have packed it up all the gizmos like Cat Converter etc to meet with the current EU Emission norms, it has gone totally silent.

To make it loud, all you have to do is to drill out the baffles/cat converter etc from the silencer and the back-fire thump is back and its really loud. Though I have not done it, a friend of mine has done it and that bike definitel has an extra oomph. As far as I know there were no re-mapping was involved.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2012, 21:02   #17
BHPian

Hello Fellow BHPians,

I agree with others that the Triumphs need a bit of sound.

My Scrambler and Thruxton were very quite when I got them.

However, I have the following mods;

Scrambler - TORS (Triumph Off Road) mufflers, louder bark and a snappy throttle reponse. No need to re-tune anything. Disabled the AI unit to avoid the popping on the overrun.

Thruxton - D&D mufflers and pipes, beautiful soound and much better power output. Disabled the AI unit to avoid the popping on the overrun. I have a setof British Custom muffle and pipes, however the D&Ds sound better.

Do try and understnd that the stock pipes, mufflers, CAT etc. are meant to pass the green norms in place all over the world.

However, where there is a will, there is a way!

Reg,

BB
Britishbangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2012, 22:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
I fully agree with AJ's views on the sound.

With the stock pipes the issue is that they have packed it up all the gizmos like Cat Converter etc to meet with the current EU Emission norms, it has gone totally silent.

To make it loud, all you have to do is to drill out the baffles/cat converter etc from the silencer and the back-fire thump is back and its really loud. Though I have not done it, a friend of mine has done it and that bike definitel has an extra oomph. As far as I know there were no re-mapping was involved.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Silent stock bikes are the norm and will continue to be so..mostly driven by regulations on sound and emissions. So a reasonable amount of money has to be spent on getting bikes to sound as they should - in the world of Harleys its known as "Harley Tax" - it's the amount you have to shell out to make the ride rideable - louder slip-ons, less restrictive air cleaners and fuel mapping to go with these mods..collectively known as stage1 tune.

It makes a lot of sense for the company since they end up fleecing before the bikes leave the showroom - and flexibility for the buyer since he can customise albeit at a cost : sort of like forced customisation.

You can also go the DIY way : on a Harley, its as easy as knocking of the cap on the baffles with a long rod and a hammer at near zero cost or drilling off the baffles at minimal cost. These mods wont give you the sophisticated noise made by screaming eagles or V&H slip-ons but will be loud and better than stock nevertheless.
josepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 16:27   #19
BHPian

I've read a few articles quoting Triumph to say they won't be selling the 250 in India, but there are pictures of a naked and a supersport under testing abroad. Is this a bait and switch, where we get the bikes, or are they trying to keep the brand premium in a new Market? Anyone have any information?
KhalDrogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 11:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
I've read a few articles quoting Triumph to say they won't be selling the 250 in India, but there are pictures of a naked and a supersport under testing abroad. Is this a bait and switch, where we get the bikes, or are they trying to keep the brand premium in a new Market? Anyone have any information?
As per conversations I've had with Triumph dealers, the bike isn't coming to India anytime soon. The premium in a new market approach seems likely, but the bike may come to India in 2017-18.
Tushar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 11:20   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
As per conversations I've had with Triumph dealers, the bike isn't coming to India anytime soon. The premium in a new market approach seems likely, but the bike may come to India in 2017-18.
Ah, thanks a lot. Guess that will be the time to buy it, when their dealer network is better established in a few more cities. Right now Goa doesn't have a dealership anyway.
KhalDrogo is offline   Reply With Quote