Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 18th March 2012, 23:01   #196
BHPian

Default Re: KTM Duke 200 launched @ an introductory price of Rs. 1,17,500/- (Ex-Showroom Delh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
According to the source the company cannot detect the changes made so warranty remains intact.

Side effects? Well time will tell, but these guys claim that their update also increases mileage!
Hmm! I don't completely agree!

If they plug it in they will be able to see the rev limiter bumped up to 11700.

And I am sure Bajaj will void your warranty if you screw around with the ECU!

And 12K for lifting the rev limit is fleecing if you ask me!

TuneECU_Start

These guys have developed a tuning solution for KTM's. Its available for free download and distribution. You just need to put together a cable (costs around 20$ on ebay)

If will be damned if the Indian company is using a Freeware and charging customers!

I've used tune ECU for remapping my KTM 690SMC ECU and it works really well. But you should know what you are doing!
Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 10:43   #197
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: KTM Duke 200 launched @ an introductory price of Rs. 1,17,500/- (Ex-Showroom Delh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rash View Post

TuneECU_Start

These guys have developed a tuning solution for KTM's. Its available for free download and distribution. You just need to put together a cable (costs around 20$ on ebay)

If will be damned if the Indian company is using a Freeware and charging customers!

I've used tune ECU for remapping my KTM 690SMC ECU and it works really well. But you should know what you are doing!
Checked the link Rash - there isn't a map for the Duke 200 yet. Even so, with so many tuners online offering re-map solutions, it would be pretty hard to figure out which one really works and how well. I am sure its not as simple as just releasing the rev limiter upwards, because if that's all it is, 12K is loot.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 13:33   #198
Senior - BHPian

Ebonho what if you can send the ECU abroad to a KTM store or Modifier to upgrade it. This is what is done for supercars, hence the thought.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 13:52   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Ebonho what if you can send the ECU abroad to a KTM store or Modifier to upgrade it. This is what is done for supercars, hence the thought.
That is definitely an option once the Australian KTM tuners get working on the baby Duke's ECU. Probably a tuned exhaust and sprockets too. Then again, we may decide to simply swap the 200 for the 350 so will wait and watch for now.

Most of the go faster mods will be expensive and it may be cheaper to just get the bigger Duke a year from now. No replacement for displacement and a 75% bump in displacement is pretty serious looking at how the 200 itself moves bone stock!
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 14:32   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
That is definitely an option once the Australian KTM tuners get working on the baby Duke's ECU. Probably a tuned exhaust and sprockets too. Then again, we may decide to simply swap the 200 for the 350 so will wait and watch for now.

Most of the go faster mods will be expensive and it may be cheaper to just get the bigger Duke a year from now. No replacement for displacement and a 75% bump in displacement is pretty serious looking at how the 200 itself moves bone stock!
I believe you do get the Akrapovic exhaust for the 200, sprokets i am not sure off. I heard even the 600cc Duke is being considered, at that point i shall get the 600 as well.

When i did a UAE parts price check, they did not seem expensive to me (probably after car parts prices, bike parts seem on the lower side). I am waiting to see what parts and price they bring to India. If its cheaper to import i'll just do that.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 20:27   #201
TDC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rash View Post

TuneECU_Start

Hey Rash, thanks for sharing that super link regarding Tune Ecu.

I got my Duke 200 a few days back and wouldn't mind finding ways for a little bit more power if it doesn't cost too much. Gonna take a look inside and see if the connectors are similar before starting off on a parts search

I'm a little bit suspect regarding remap option for 12k, especial when they claim increased power along with increased fuel efficiency. All things being equal, how would an engine produce more "power" by burning less fuel?

IMHO, the advertised 3 bhp increase is also of no consequence to most of us most of the time. Bhp is a function of torque multiplied by rpm. Probably the only reason there is an increase in "bhp" is because they've allowed the motor to rev higher. To what consequence we don't know yet.

I called up Kiirus Autosports and asked if the torque is also increased to which they said they don't know cuz they haven't dynoed the bike. So I ask how do you know you get a 3 bhp increase, to which they say "they feel its around that much". That's pretty scientific for 12 grand.

That's not the issue either. You multiply the new 11700 rpm limit by the torque of the stock engine and you will get a higher bhp figure, so they are not wrong. As far as I'm concerned for everyday riding it would feel pretty much the same. They claim the engine is smoother, to which i agree and say ok. But for 12 grand???

IMHO for more "power" and the resultant fun factor we need to bump up the torque figures on this little baby

And that's not going to going to happen by burning less fuel.
TDC is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 13:23   #202
BHPian

Came across this video of the KTM Duke 200 being tested in knee deep water

MurtazaGhiya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 13:51   #203
BHPian

Just got a call from bajaj office.
Some executive informed that bajaj is organising a seminar on 17th May, 5pm at lakme executive hotel on FC road in pune.
This is for potential new buyers and bajaj will be giving out details on Duke.

Entry is by registration.

Last edited by chetans : 15th May 2012 at 13:52. Reason: added important note
chetans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 09:59   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurtazaGhiya
Came across this video of the KTM Duke 200 being tested in knee deep water

How does this work? All this while I have never allowed any of my vehicles to idle when in deep water. Staying in a low gear and maintaining highish rpms while travelling slowly, trying to get to a shallow/dry area is what I have learned. How is it that the KTM is able not only to idle with it's exhaust submerged, but also to switch off and then start again too!?
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 13:59   #205
Senior - BHPian

KTM Duke 200 gets custom race livery

KTM 200 Duke gets custom race livery Page - 1| ZigWheels.com
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 18:52   #206
BHPian

Yesterday passed by a Pro-biking showroom in Trivandrum and saw KTM's on display. The front tires of each of these bikes were suspended from the roof while the rear tires are on the ground. Kinda like the horse on the Ferrari logo. My DOUBT is:- Doesn't this cause unwanted pressure/stress/whatever on the bike? Is it safe to do this? Why are they doing this?
nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 17:03   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
Yesterday passed by a Pro-biking showroom in Trivandrum and saw KTM's on display. The front tires of each of these bikes were suspended from the roof while the rear tires are on the ground. Kinda like the horse on the Ferrari logo. My DOUBT is:- Doesn't this cause unwanted pressure/stress/whatever on the bike? Is it safe to do this? Why are they doing this?
Why?
Just to create a Wow! effect.

Will it affect the bike?
From what I have seen in KTM showrooms here, the bike's weight is completely on the rear suspension. Should not be an issue for a bike on which wheelies are done comfortably.
Also it mostly would not have any fluids (coolant, fuel, oil, etc.) in it since it's most likely a display bike.
And being being a display bike, I don't think it would be sold to a customer.
NikhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 19:35   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilB View Post
Why?

Will it affect the bike?
From what I have seen in KTM showrooms here, the bike's weight is completely on the rear suspension. Should not be an issue for a bike on which wheelies are done comfortably.
Also it mostly would not have any fluids (coolant, fuel, oil, etc.) in it since it's most likely a display bike.
Nikhil,

Fluids or no fluids, it will certainly damage the rear shocks of the poor machine. Being a wheelie monster does not mean a bike was made to carry its weight on the rear shocks for eternity. Infact they do the same to Pulsars and Avengers. Oopmh yes, safe no.

And you'll be surprised how many dealers sell lemons to unsuspecting customers.
narula123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 20:38   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

The KTM Duke 200 in pictures.

KTM Duke 200 launched @ an introductory price of Rs. 1,17,500/- (Ex-Showroom Delhi)-dsc09631.jpg

KTM Duke 200 launched @ an introductory price of Rs. 1,17,500/- (Ex-Showroom Delhi)-dsc09632.jpg

KTM Duke 200 launched @ an introductory price of Rs. 1,17,500/- (Ex-Showroom Delhi)-dsc09633.jpg

KTM Duke 200 launched @ an introductory price of Rs. 1,17,500/- (Ex-Showroom Delhi)-dsc09634.jpg

KTM Duke 200 launched @ an introductory price of Rs. 1,17,500/- (Ex-Showroom Delhi)-dsc09635.jpg

KTM Duke 200 launched @ an introductory price of Rs. 1,17,500/- (Ex-Showroom Delhi)-dsc09636.jpg

KTM Duke 200 launched @ an introductory price of Rs. 1,17,500/- (Ex-Showroom Delhi)-dsc09637.jpg

KTM Duke 200 launched @ an introductory price of Rs. 1,17,500/- (Ex-Showroom Delhi)-dsc09638.jpg

KTM Duke 200 launched @ an introductory price of Rs. 1,17,500/- (Ex-Showroom Delhi)-dsc09716.jpg

KTM Duke 200 launched @ an introductory price of Rs. 1,17,500/- (Ex-Showroom Delhi)-dsc09719.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:55   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilB View Post
Why?

Will it affect the bike?
Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
Nikhil,

Fluids or no fluids, it will certainly damage the rear shocks of the poor machine. Being a wheelie monster does not mean a bike was made to carry its weight on the rear shocks for eternity. Infact they do the same to Pulsars and Avengers. Oopmh yes, safe no.

And you'll be surprised how many dealers sell lemons to unsuspecting customers.
JFYI, if you look closely at the suspended bike, the rear part is actually on a metal stand that is bolted to the swingarm and the top part is just to hold the bike at that angle. I did not find it to be resting on its wheel, so the rear shocks are not carrying any weight...

The same was earlier done to Pulsar 200, 220 and the Avenger too...
MurtazaGhiya is offline   Reply With Quote