Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

View Poll Results: Which one for a first motorcycle?
Thunderbird Twinspark (due in 1 month or so) 21 44.68%
Thunderbird 500 (launch date unknown) 26 55.32%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 8th February 2012, 00:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird : Sitting on the fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
....I am so confused right now that I'm thinking of buying either of these, second hand and calling it all off. Will see when the TB500 is in the market.
I know it may sound cliche, but since am in the same boat as you let me try to put things in perspective.

Owning a used RE that is atleast 3~5 years old is bound to have niggles. This could forever make you stay away from the RE brand. After all first impression is the best impression.

If you are looking at a newer one that is less than 2 years old, sporting the UCE engine (Which is supposed to be relatively trouble free), the prices are never gonna be realistic. Case in Point: Quoting 1,10,00 for a 2010 TBTS

Now that the above options are ruled out, you have just three more choices to make

A. Call off your plans to own a RE and settle down for a 150cc commuter

B. Wait till the world ends to get your hands on the TB 500, staking all your hard earned money on it.

C. Just wait for couple days more for your Brand New TBTS 350cc to be delivered and enjoy the ride. Upgrade to the TB500 once it proves its reliability in the Indian markets.

If I were you, I would blindly go in for option C. At the end of the day, the choice is yours!! All the Best

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 8th February 2012 at 00:28.
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 22:14   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
+1 for option C.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 11:31   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Nitin, AJ, Naveen and Rocky,

I'm really sorry for being so confused at the moment. I was told of a 2007 AVL Thunderbird with 10k on the odo by a RE mechanic near my house. Owner is asking for Rs. 70,000.
Another one is a 2010 TBTS UCE. Owner is asking for Rs. 1,10,000. He also lives close by but I haven't seen the motorcycle.
Tgo,

AVL is a good engine but again when you compare it with UCE then ther's lot of difference in technology, reliability, issues & fuel efficiency. The response & pickup has very much improved due to Integrated gear box in new engine.

When you are thinking of TBTS for 1,10,000 for a used one, its very near to the price of a new one. I suggest go for a new TBTS man. you will enjoy every bit of it. + warranty benefits.

Dont worry, till the time TBTS 500 launches & proves itself in the Indian market, it is a looong time to go. You will have a wonderful time with new TBTS by then.
Old 14th February 2012, 21:44   #49
Tgo
BHPian

What if I say I test rode a 2009 October, Black UCE TBTS. Second owner, 30k on the odometer. The motorcycle felt stable and solid. Little heavy in the parts being operated by cables, like clutch and throttle. Brakes were fine, front disc brake had no free play whatsoever. I now get what everyone here was talking about.

The current owner was some bloke whose biceps were bigger than his brain and he had gone and got some gas "topped-up" in the rear shocks from some bajaj showroom. This made the suspension very hard and also the gap between the tire and mud guard was increased. I'm sure that this wasn't because of change in the pre-stress of the spring as I checked the adjustment screw and it was set to stock position (verified by looking at other TBTS). I think releasing some gas will set it back to normal. The RE mechanic says we'll change the position of setting screw.

The self starter is also sneezing but needs a good overhaul. Doesn't work in cold starts and needs to be pressed for 5 seconds in hot start.

After all this the person asked for Rs. 85,000 seemed non-negotiable. I told him 80k and I have time till tomorrow evening. He has plans of commencing customization and is starting work soon if I don't buy it.
Old 14th February 2012, 22:07   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The current owner was some bloke whose biceps were bigger than his brain and he had gone and got some gas "topped-up" in the rear shocks from some bajaj showroom.
New rear shocks used to cost under 2k some two years back. Hopefully the price should not have changed much.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 23:22   #51
Tgo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
New rear shocks used to cost under 2k some two years back. Hopefully the price should not have changed much.
Thanks a ton for the info. You are talking of a set when you say 2000 rupees, right? What is the life of shocks usually?

What do you think about the price? On-Road price for a new TBTS is Rs. 1,31,435 now.

Last edited by Tgo : 14th February 2012 at 23:39. Reason: added OTR price
Old 14th February 2012, 23:34   #52
BHPian

For a little more, you can buy a brand new Standard. Of course, since it is the least expensive of all Enfields, this model has the longest waiting period!

On topic, the bike seems a tad expensive compared to the ones I have seen here in Pune. Chalk it down to higher KA taxes?
Old 14th February 2012, 23:35   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a ton for the info. You are talking of a set when you say 2000 rupees, right? What is the life of shocks usually?

What do you think about the price?
Am talking about a pair.

My bike had the non-gas filled shocks. I replaced them with gas filled, when my bike was roughly 40-50 k done.

I must have ridded an equal distance, since then.
They are working fine.

No idea on the price. Resale prices are crazy. The OTR for my bike was 81205 back in 2003.
Old 15th February 2012, 07:07   #54
Tgo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
For a little more, you can buy a brand new Standard. Of course, since it is the least expensive of all Enfields, this model has the longest waiting period!

On topic, the bike seems a tad expensive compared to the ones I have seen here in Pune. Chalk it down to higher KA taxes?
Even a new Standard costs more than Rs. 1,10,000 here in Karnataka.
Old 16th February 2012, 23:49   #55
Tgo
BHPian

Hello Everyone.

I've bought myself the used 2009 model Thunderbird TS yesterday. Have rode close to 80 km since yesterday evening. The motorcycle runs good. I have to learn to kick-start properly.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird : Sitting on the fence-x6img366.jpg

Guess what else happened? I got a call from the showroom guy saying that my booked motorcycle is in transit and that I can make the money ready. I told him I wanted to cancel the booking as I am waiting for the TB500 which has not been launched. He said we'll keep this booking of yours for that one!! Can I assume I'm the first person to book the TB500?

Thank you all for your inputs regarding the decision making. This way I get to graduate from a 350 to a 500 cc engine and also saved close to 45k rupees.

I want to start putting up an ownership experience soon and i'll require your help there again for guiding me through repair work this second hand TBTS will require. I plan to ride it for a month and get acquainted with all the problems first.

Last edited by Tgo : 16th February 2012 at 23:59. Reason: Added Picture
Old 17th February 2012, 16:03   #56
Team-BHP Support

Congrats TGO on getting the TBTS !!!

How about some more details like its odo reading, price and some better pictures?

Ride Safe !!!
Old 17th February 2012, 17:53   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone.

I've bought myself the used 2009 model Thunderbird TS yesterday. Have rode close to 80 km since yesterday evening. The motorcycle runs good. I have to learn to kick-start properly.
Congratulations on the bike!!

Finally you jumped down from the fence.

And yes, if you are ready for it, let the money be for the Thunderbird 500. But wonder how many years that is going to be. Even my friend in RE is being very tight-lipped about it.
Old 17th February 2012, 18:57   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On-Road price for a new TBTS is Rs. 1,31,435 now.
Thats a steep jump! 10K in 1 year since I got mine. RE sure is enjoying charging hefty premiums.

On another note, I will close this thread since its purpose has been served. Looking forward to an ownership report!
Closed Thread