Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 18th July 2012, 13:27   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Royal cruising: My 2011 Enfield Thunderbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Thanks theMAG !

Ironically, I ended up with a broken clutch cable this evening and just got back home after having to push the silversteed for about 3kms. Need to get that fixed tomorrow.
You can manage to drive without clutch cable. No need to drag for this. Once you know how to drive, gear changes can be quite effortless except managing to drive in 1st. Also, once you develop this skill, you'll start thinking that clutch cable is extra accessory for REs.
pradipk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 14:18   #107
BHPian

theMAG,

How light is the clutch on the Thunder Bird?

I started riding again seriously after a gap of 4 years and in the Bangalore traffic, my fingers pain a lot while using the Pulsar's (150) clutch constantly. I am looking at upgrading to TB, mainly because of the same factors you mentioned in the opening post. Better mileage, comfort and straight seating ride, etc..

Thanks.
samabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 18:11   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
3 kms is not a problem, but imagine towing your vehicle on a lone strech of road
Yeah..thankfully it was just 3. This was the exact same thought I had while dragging it, as a plan for a solo monsoon ride to Kannur (kerala) has been germinating in my brain since a few days..yikes! Can't dare to think of one now till I learn some essentials like replacing a few cables and tubes..Maybe this was an easier lesson for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Agree. Clutch, accelerator cables and a spare tube are generally the insurance needed for REs.
Hmm. I guess a trip to the office and back will also need to be regarded as a "bike trip". Not just for an RE but any bike I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
You can manage to drive without clutch cable. No need to drag for this. Once you know how to drive, gear changes can be quite effortless except managing to drive in 1st. Also, once you develop this skill, you'll start thinking that clutch cable is extra accessory for REs.
I know this and have tried this on the pulsar. But the traffic condition was so bad at 8.30pm near Koramangala Sony world signal that stop-start riding without the clutch may have ended up more expensive to fix. Rev-matching is possible on an open stretch of road when one can predictively ride. It's easier in a car when you can just slip to neutral in one go. On a bike, and especially an RE - the time to neutral is not as fast in case of a STOP.
mempheS.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 18:37   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
I know this and have tried this on the pulsar. But the traffic condition was so bad at 8.30pm near Koramangala Sony world signal that stop-start riding without the clutch may have ended up more expensive to fix. Rev-matching is possible on an open stretch of road when one can predictively ride. It's easier in a car when you can just slip to neutral in one go. On a bike, and especially an RE - the time to neutral is not as fast in case of a STOP.
Use false neutral, believe me it's much easy in REs compare to other bikes like Pulsar.
pradipk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 22:46   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
theMAG,

How light is the clutch on the Thunder Bird?

. I am looking at upgrading to TB, mainly because of the same factors you mentioned in the opening post. Better mileage, comfort and straight seating ride, etc..

Thanks.
The clutch is quite light; I haven't had any cause for discomfort with the clutch. Sure, those parameters you've mentioned would seem to make the Thunderbird a good choice!

The only feedback I can think of that RE should consider is the gearshift quality- it needs to be more precise than currently.

Last edited by theMAG : 20th July 2012 at 22:49.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 20:56   #111
BHPian

Quote:
The only feedback I can think of that RE should consider is the gearshift quality- it needs to be more precise than currently.
Gear shifting is not consistent on the REs. The ones that have precise shifting just shift quite beautifully. My friends TB 11 is one such example..
bradhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 20:06   #112
Senior - BHPian

My brand new TBTS is leaking oil like hell. The first attempt to fix it by RE service miserably failed. Any suggestions before taking it for the second fix?
Royal cruising: My 2011 Enfield Thunderbird-20120720_062919.jpg

Royal cruising: My 2011 Enfield Thunderbird-20120726_103721.jpg

Royal cruising: My 2011 Enfield Thunderbird-20120723_195036.jpg

Royal cruising: My 2011 Enfield Thunderbird-20120726_103631.jpg

Royal cruising: My 2011 Enfield Thunderbird-20120723_195030.jpg
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 04:13   #113
Senior - BHPian

Just be careful not to wipe off any of the oily deposits before taking it back to the dealer.

You will want it to be as oily as possible so they can not only see that it indeed is leaking but they can see where it is leaking from.
ArizonaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 08:28   #114
Team-BHP Support

From the photos at least, oil seems to be leaking towards the left of the powertrain. Nevertheless, please get this fixed ASAP. In the process, please watch out for the usual "it's like that only" speak from the RE service centres.
Old 28th July 2012, 22:26   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Just be careful not to wipe off any of the oily deposits before taking it back to the dealer.

You will want it to be as oily as possible so they can not only see that it indeed is leaking but they can see where it is leaking from.
Quote:
From the photos at least, oil seems to be leaking towards the left of the powertrain. Nevertheless, please get this fixed ASAP. In the process, please watch out for the usual "it's like that only" speak from the RE service centres.
Thanks for your input guys. Looks like the second fix also doesn't seem to have solved the problem.

When the bike was tested immediately after the fix, apparently there was no oil leak at all.

However almost close to 3 hours after parking the bike on the main stand, the oil has started dripping on the floor.

Just want to know if oil leaks are totally abnormal or is it quite common to have such leaks in new bikes till they run in?

If it is totally abnormal, how should I proceed with my case now? The bike is perfectly fine except that it leaks very scanty quantity of oil after every trip. Can I live with this or will it have any adverse effect in the long run?

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 28th July 2012 at 22:28.
Old 29th July 2012, 03:49   #116
Senior - BHPian

The oil leak is not a normal part of the break in for any motorcycle, including a Royal Enfield.

There is only one "oil leak" on the new UCE Royal Enfields that I am aware of and it isn't a leak.

It is quite common for excess oil to be thrown off of the rear drive chain onto the crankcase right below the engines output sprocket.
There is nothing unusual about this as most chain drive motorcycles do this.

On the 500cc UCE engines there is a small horizontal flat surface that seems to collect this excess chain oil.
If the oil is left to accumulate in this area because the owner failed to wipe it clean, it will eventually run down to the bottom of the engine.

When enough of this chain oil collects under the engine it will drip onto the floor.

This excess chain oil is almost always quite thick and black in color.

Engine oil on the other hand is always thin (like new motor oil) and usually not black.

I have heard of cases where a oil seal has developed a leak but on the UCE this is very rare.

The oil shown in the photos looks like engine oil to me so I will make a few wild guesses about where it is coming from.

Both side cases on the engine contain oil and the joint between the side cases and the crank case is gasketed. If this gasket was damaged during assembly or if the screws that hold the side cases in place are loose the gasket could easily leak.

You will notice that under the heads of each of the screws on the left sidecase there appears to be a copper washer.
This washer is a seal, intended to prevent oil leakage thru the bolt holes.

If one of these screws was loose, the copper washer would not seal properly and this could explain the oil leak.

On very rare occasions there can be casting flaws where the metal is porous rather than being solid as intended.
If the casting has a porosity flaw, oil can pass thru it to the outer surface.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 29th July 2012 at 03:52.
ArizonaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2012, 10:27   #117
Team-BHP Support

A thread that could be of some use: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-oil-leak.html (Enfield: Oil Leak!)
Old 29th July 2012, 13:14   #118
BHPian

A friend had a similar issue of oil leak but it was from the drain plug and only after 3-4 free services the threading on the engine case had given away. He had to strip the entire engine,have the plug welded and re-threaded; but this time the mechanic made sure it was a bigger size bolt and better threading.

The threading on the drain bolt is weaker than that of a HH Splendor to say.
Asif 6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 20:07   #119
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Thanks for your input guys. Looks like the second fix also doesn't seem to have solved the problem.

When the bike was tested immediately after the fix, apparently there was no oil leak at all.

However almost close to 3 hours after parking the bike on the main stand, the oil has started dripping on the floor.

Just want to know if oil leaks are totally abnormal or is it quite common to have such leaks in new bikes till they run in?

If it is totally abnormal, how should I proceed with my case now? The bike is perfectly fine except that it leaks very scanty quantity of oil after every trip. Can I live with this or will it have any adverse effect in the long run?
give a try taking your bike to some experienced bullet mechanics who can find out cause, may be a minor tweak that can fix the issue, should it be adverse you have your warranty, save your service reports for claims.. In my TBTS i had issues with disc brake and RE service guys wanted me to replace the whole setup costing 6+ k, i was referred by a friend to a bullet expert who fixed the issue by simple servicing, charged 500, jobs perfect.
RJ555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 20:21   #120
Senior - BHPian

Thanks you guys for all your valuable inputs. Finally the issue has been resolved and there is no oil leak at all. Touchwood. The problem was traced down to a faulty gasket in the bay below the engine area.