Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 7th August 2012, 21:47   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Royal cruising: My 2011 Enfield Thunderbird

I have hex nuts on the side covers of my machine. I don't understand why RE is going for the allen key nuts. They get stripped very easily when compared to the hexs. The machines rolled out after March 2012 have lots of upgrades - new type of bend pipes, minor changes in the carburetor, change of allen screw mushroom nuts in the silencer heat shield (now it can be opened with a screw driver- which is a welcome change). Actually there are more. Check out the new parts manual and you will see it.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 13:14   #122
BHPian

Quote:
1. No wiring change. The TB comes with wiring for 55/60 W itself. But merely for market differentiation with their 500cc offerings, they chose to fit a 35 W bulb on the TB. So, its a simple bulb replacement to 55/60W.
Hey MAG. Actually I was following your thread religiously for the awesome mods on the T'bird! I too have a 2009 pre-owned T'bird.

After reading your thread, I changed my headlight to 55/60W halogens. But the bike immediately started malfunctioning. It took 5-6 kicks to start, kept cutting out and the tacho would simply DIE when I would switch on the light!

When I changed back to stock bulbs, all problems vanished!

Definitely the bulb caused these issues. What can be the problem. Any idea?
thumpingheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 16:04   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post

After reading your thread, I changed my headlight to 55/60W halogens. But the bike immediately started malfunctioning. It took 5-6 kicks to start, kept cutting out and the tacho would simply DIE when I would switch on the light!

That is interesting, coz I've read more than one person say that they've just changed the bulb to 55/60W & it has worked without any issues. Would be interested in knowing the reason as I've a 2011 Thunderbird & I've been thinking of changing the lights myself.
amitgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 17:45   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitgupta View Post
That is interesting, coz I've read more than one person say that they've just changed the bulb to 55/60W & it has worked without any issues. Would be interested in knowing the reason as I've a 2011 Thunderbird & I've been thinking of changing the lights myself.
Actually both MAG and you have a 2011 T'bird. I have a Dec 2008 T'Bird. RE has done a few improvements over the years to the bike. Especially when they released the Classic 350/500. I think my bike does not have the upgraded wiring that you guys have.

I'm gonna get everything checked in a couple of months during service. Lets see what happens.
Old 11th September 2012, 13:37   #125
BHPian

Quote:

Hey Thumpingheart I feel the problem is with your battery. It might have got weak and is not able to support the bigger headlight. But I am not sure about this, could be a problem with the connections as well.
Do all the other electricals function well with the new headlight in place? and does the bike crank with the electric starter?
Siddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 16:28   #126
BHPian

Wink Re: Royal cruising: My 2011 Enfield Thunderbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
Hey Thumpingheart I feel the problem is with your battery. It might have got weak and is not able to support the bigger headlight. But I am not sure about this, could be a problem with the connections as well.
Do all the other electricals function well with the new headlight in place? and does the bike crank with the electric starter?
Yes bike did crank with the starter. But tried it only once. The battery may be the problem. But most of the other stuff did work properly. I think the RE electricals will stay mystery for ever!
Old 11th September 2012, 23:50   #127
Tgo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Check out the new parts manual and you will see it.
By any chance, would you be having the parts manual fr a 2010 t-bird. I have a jugaad for the lower engine foundation bolt turned our of a MS rod. I am desperately in search for that part which i am not able to get here in Mangalore due to incompetent RE store managers who have some scuffle going on with RE.

Quote:
Hey MAG. Actually I was following your thread religiously for the awesome mods on the T'bird! I too have a 2009 pre-owned T'bird.

I am having a similar problem and look forward to change all my electrical wiring in the coming months. I didn't change any bulb but I had disconnected the dual horns as they had developed a mind of their own and would sound after running the bike for a couple of kilometers. The problem I face is that of the Tacho dying out at engine idling speeds when the headlights are running and the brake light comes on. Release any of the brake levers and the tacho needle jumps to idle speed indication.

Can you help me finding the bolt I require for my ride?
Tgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 09:18   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Actually both MAG and you have a 2011 T'bird. I have a Dec 2008 T'Bird. RE has done a few improvements over the years to the bike. Especially when they released the Classic 350/500. I think my bike does not have the upgraded wiring that you have
Sorry, saw your posts now. The reason is most likely what you have deduced: different wiring on your model. If the service center confirms this, then installing a cutout between any upgraded bulb and the bike's wiring might help.

Also, it's worthwhile you get the electricals examined once; Royal Enfields were not known for bullet-proof electricals (pun) until the current gen models.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 18:56   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Also, it's worthwhile you get the electricals examined once; Royal Enfields were not known for bullet-proof electricals (pun) until the current gen models.
I already have suffered a complete electrical failure on my bike! So the whole wiring has been changed. I'm good on that front though Not a single problem ever since! Have done 4000 odd km after that.
Old 28th November 2012, 17:27   #130
BHPian

Does anyone know if the new split-seats coming with the Thunderbird 350 and 500 can be fitted on the older Thunderbird models? I'm planning to replace the seat on my 2007 (AVL) Bird and was wondering if the new seats could be fitted and if they were better than the old seats. The old seat is ok for the rider, but a real pain for a pillion.
am1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 15:10   #131
Team-BHP Support

After having obtained a slot at the RE company service station behind Shoppers Stop 3 weeks in advance, got a call one day prior from them announcing that the service slot cannot be honored due to labor trouble; apparently a majority of senior mechanics had called a strike. RE were also unclear if any experienced mechanics would be available for the rescheduled slot to tomorrow- Dec 19.

Although their honesty is appreciated, I now definitely need to look at a better experience with my Thunderbird's service.

Can anyone recommend some solid private RE garages (based on personal experience) that are known to do a good job servicing the UCE-engined Bulls in Bangalore? I dont mind paying a little bit extra if they are known to do a pretty good job.

Last edited by theMAG : 18th December 2012 at 15:14.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 19:37   #132

Hey everyone, have 2006 THB and would like to modify my stock headlight with the new projector one (new 500 THB one), is it feasible with existing wiring.
maverick_atam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 23:14   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_atam View Post
Hey everyone, have 2006 THB and would like to modify my stock headlight with the new projector one (new 500 THB one), is it feasible with existing wiring.
I think it is from what I've asked around but getting the headlamp unit from RE is too damn expensive (around 15k). I think better option would be to go for after-market projector & HID & DRL.
amitgupta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 16:03   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitgupta View Post
I think it is from what I've asked around but getting the headlamp unit from RE is too damn expensive (around 15k). I think better option would be to go for after-market projector & HID & DRL.
thanks Amit, any brand you have selected and would this alteration work in existing original wiring. I read many blogs on problem with alternator.

Any idea on price to change entire head unit (including meters, light indicators + headlight) with new 500 one.
maverick_atam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 10:41   #135
Team-BHP Support

In continuation to my earlier post on wondering a next course for the bike's service, I was fortunate that Devesh(Bikers Den) was back in Bangalore (refer previous posts), and got the service done from him, with a change over to synthetic. The bike feels t-i-g-h-t and precise now.

However, the feedback I received was that the engine oil had not been replaced for atleast 6k kms, or over 2 past services. Considering that I had always insisted on oil change during every service (and all prior services were with the RE company service station) and paid for the same, this is an outrage and willful cheating. While I figure out next steps, all I can suggest is that once the warranty-services are over, if you love your UCE-engined RE, find an alternate service center than leaving it with the company service station here atleast: RE is to be treated as a distributor of good bikes only.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote