Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2012, 19:39   #61
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 253
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
I find the rear suspension a bit hard for solo rides and I am dying to fix this. The back wheel of the bike jump like hell in bumps sometimes which is very scary. See the below photo. Can anybody suggest how to fix this??? Can we swap the mono shock with any other bike???
Rule 1 of riding off-road is body balance. From what I see from the pic. you are leaning front or atleast sitting in the neutral position while you should have been leaning back . You need to be able to predict which way the bike is going to flip and put your weight against it, not towards it....this you can only get from experience and that inevitably means a few falls

download a 2D trials bike game from the internet and try playing. Then you'd know what am talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post

Me too felt it is bit hard for solo, but then making it softer will bottom it out for an occasional pillion ride (can't help- hitch hikers on the road). May be my 2 cents, but for someone who always rides solo, tuning it should be ok. I think pulser 200NS or baby duke's monoshock can be tried for a fit.
You will ruin the bike if you swap the shocks with anyone of those (duke or NS)...The impulse's are the softest you can find in the indian market. You will have to import them if you have too. I'd say learn to live with them and instead work on your riding style.

the impulse is an entry-level off-roader and thats just what it is, no fancy adjustable gizmos of any kind, which is good coz only then you learn.

Cheers...Girish.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 20:03   #62
BHPian
 
niks_devil666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 535
Thanked: 236 Times
Default Re: Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Rule 1 of riding off-road is body balance. From what I see from the pic. you are leaning front or atleast sitting in the neutral position while you should have been leaning back . You need to be able to predict which way the bike is going to flip and put your weight against it, not towards it....this you can only get from experience and that inevitably means a few falls
I have had similar experience (rear bouncing and landing on the front) and surely it is because of incorrect body positioning. Although i also feel the rebound of the rear suspension is hard and makes the bike jump from the rear
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 14:16   #63
Mud
Newbie
 
Mud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)

Wonderful writeup. Thank you. One small question. You have mentioned the high seat height, how much does it settle once a person of weight (75kg 5'5") sits on the bike. Do you think they would be able to flatfoot the bike with both feet? Or would it still be too tall.
Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 00:07   #64
BHPian
 
intoxicangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Auckland
Posts: 93
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)

Thought this would be the right place to have a few queries of mine with regard to the Impulse answered.
Managed to lay my hands last week on a year old Impulse with only 3.8k kms on the clock. The previous owner had not necessarily taken good care of the bike, but she is running good and an oil change and a Uni 2 pod filter made a world of a difference to the way she runs.

Questions
1) How many face problems with the nose cone bearing? This one has its bearings rocking the handle left and right a little too much for comfort at higher speeds. Is it normal for the bearings to wear out quick due to the long imbalanced / un stabilized front fork?
2) The Impulse comes with a 142 Watt alternator, which translates to a little over 11 amps. The stock battery is 4 amps and the stock headlight runs a 30/35W bulb. My question here, is the power flow to the battery and bulb restricted to under 4 amps? 11 amp alternator should effectively be able to drive a 7.5 or 9 amp battery and a 55/60W bulb as well. (Any one experimented with this?)
3) Chain slack - I presume the company sets the chain slack at the level they do for a reason, but this is causing a very irritating jerk when opening and closing throttle at slow speeds within the city. Any idea what is the ideal slack (in millimeters) to avoid this and yet have enough slack for whatever reason it is set that way?
4) Service Due sign. I am very clearly not taking the motorcycle back to any Hero service center due to their lack of interest in a customers concerns with his motorcycle. How do I turn that sign off, there probably is a combo press of the Mode and Select buttons on the speedo console. Any one have any idea about the same?
5) Crazy shift between 1st and 2nd gear - never shifts smooth on hard revving, instead get a ridiculous 'katak' sound. whether it is upshifting or double clutchin down shifting. Is this normal?

My plan to work the engine to increase output either via a big bore kit (200cc apparently is a possibility on this case) or an engine swap to a ZMA engine (with a big bore kit). Anyone here done the swap or worked on the engine for better output?

Look forward to replies
intoxicangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 01:37   #65
BHPian
 
ringoism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Himachal
Posts: 503
Thanked: 1,188 Times
Default Re: Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoxicangel View Post
Thought this would be the right place to have a few queries of mine with regard to the Impulse answered.

Questions
1) How many face problems with the nose cone bearing? This one has its bearings rocking the handle left and right a little too much for comfort at higher speeds. Is it normal for the bearings to wear out quick due to the long imbalanced / un stabilized front fork?
2) The Impulse comes with a 142 Watt alternator, which translates to a little over 11 amps. The stock battery is 4 amps and the stock headlight runs a 30/35W bulb. My question here, is the power flow to the battery and bulb restricted to under 4 amps? 11 amp alternator should effectively be able to drive a 7.5 or 9 amp battery and a 55/60W bulb as well. (Any one experimented with this?)
3) Chain slack - I presume the company sets the chain slack at the level they do for a reason, but this is causing a very irritating jerk when opening and closing throttle at slow speeds within the city. Any idea what is the ideal slack (in millimeters) to avoid this and yet have enough slack for whatever reason it is set that way?
4) Service Due sign. I am very clearly not taking the motorcycle back to any Hero service center due to their lack of interest in a customers concerns with his motorcycle. How do I turn that sign off, there probably is a combo press of the Mode and Select buttons on the speedo console. Any one have any idea about the same?
5) Crazy shift between 1st and 2nd gear - never shifts smooth on hard revving, instead get a ridiculous 'katak' sound. whether it is upshifting or double clutchin down shifting. Is this normal?

My plan to work the engine to increase output either via a big bore kit (200cc apparently is a possibility on this case) or an engine swap to a ZMA engine (with a big bore kit). Anyone here done the swap or worked on the engine for better output?

Look forward to replies
Just finding your post now. Have you come to the answers for any of these during your subsequent ownership experience? I've got some of the same. After debating for a couple years and posting quite a lot in one of the other Impulse threads, I finally bought a (new) Impulse.

IMO re: your question #5, I think the noticeable "clunk" is going to be somewhat normal with these bikes, since the ratio is so much different between 1&2, and the gears being asked to mesh in the gearbox are, upon shifting, hitting each other at initially very different rpms (rotational speeds) before locking in. It's there to some extent even with my brand-new bike.

re: big bore kits, etc: I think the cheapest option I've seen so far would be the BBR 175cc kit, which doesn't require a new jug (cylinder), but simply a re-boring of the existing one, to 67mm; kit (with pin/rings/clips/gaskets) is around $110 on Amazon in the U.S. right now, pretty reasonable. I kind of figure that with a modest kit like that, good engine smoothness and balance can be maintained, with better FE than the ZMR engine would allow, and a completely stock appearance and serial numbers; Not more than a couple hours' work, either. Free up the silencer a bit (it seems too quiet and must be quite restrictive) and the intake airbox/filter, and get the jetting spot-on, and I suspect it could be a pretty satisfying ride power-wise. I'm also thinking about re-gearing with a slightly smaller front sprocket for rides to the higher Himalayas (Ladakh, Lahaul/Spiti, etc) since it would help eliminate the problem of the too-high 2nd gear, and I don't really need much top-end speed in such places anyway. Also thinking of fitting the 21" aluminum front rim I've got (to help it ride even better through holes, over stones, etc), and maybe an aluminum one for the rear, too, to reduce unsprung (and overall) weight a little. The Impulse is really too heavy a bike for its size/type (my old Suzuki DR350 is 15kg less with well over twice the power). Not sure all the factors there, and not seeing many likely candidates for weight reduction, either, apart from the self-starter/battery, the sari & leg guards, and maybe that huge grab handle; not all of which I'd really want to be without.

Let's keep connected a little, assuming you've still got your bike. I think that with these machines not having been big sellers and now being discontinued (and I have doubts as to whether they'll ever be reintroduced in any form), Impulse owners will have to stick together a bit.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 4th June 2014 at 01:46.
ringoism is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 14:33   #66
BHPian
 
intoxicangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Auckland
Posts: 93
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Just finding your post now. Have you come to the answers for any of these during your subsequent ownership experience? I've got some of the same. After debating for a couple years and posting quite a lot in one of the other Impulse threads, I finally bought a (new) Impulse.

IMO re: your question #5, I think the noticeable "clunk" is going to be somewhat normal with these bikes, since the ratio is so much different between 1&2, and the gears being asked to mesh in the gearbox are, upon shifting, hitting each other at initially very different rpms (rotational speeds) before locking in. It's there to some extent even with my brand-new bike.

re: big bore kits, etc: I think the cheapest option I've seen so far would be the BBR 175cc kit, which doesn't require a new jug (cylinder), but simply a re-boring of the existing one, to 67mm; kit (with pin/rings/clips/gaskets) is around $110 on Amazon in the U.S. right now, pretty reasonable. I kind of figure that with a modest kit like that, good engine smoothness and balance can be maintained, with better FE than the ZMR engine would allow, and a completely stock appearance and serial numbers; Not more than a couple hours' work, either. Free up the silencer a bit (it seems too quiet and must be quite restrictive) and the intake airbox/filter, and get the jetting spot-on, and I suspect it could be a pretty satisfying ride power-wise. I'm also thinking about re-gearing with a slightly smaller front sprocket for rides to the higher Himalayas (Ladakh, Lahaul/Spiti, etc) since it would help eliminate the problem of the too-high 2nd gear, and I don't really need much top-end speed in such places anyway. Also thinking of fitting the 21" aluminum front rim I've got (to help it ride even better through holes, over stones, etc), and maybe an aluminum one for the rear, too, to reduce unsprung (and overall) weight a little. The Impulse is really too heavy a bike for its size/type (my old Suzuki DR350 is 15kg less with well over twice the power). Not sure all the factors there, and not seeing many likely candidates for weight reduction, either, apart from the self-starter/battery, the sari & leg guards, and maybe that huge grab handle; not all of which I'd really want to be without.

Let's keep connected a little, assuming you've still got your bike. I think that with these machines not having been big sellers and now being discontinued (and I have doubts as to whether they'll ever be reintroduced in any form), Impulse owners will have to stick together a bit.

-Eric
Hi Eric,

The RPM need to be pretty low for the shift and I have noticed that its only on the roads I need to make quick shifts... Off roading has been a little easier on the box since my shifts aren't quick or furious ones...

On the engine front, I have shelved the idea of engine upgrade for the moment and returning the intake to stock since I have faced issues with carb and valves already...

So far I have not been able to procure stock jets (my stock jet was filed out to hit a 142 and that has had the bike running really rich), but returned to stock airbox and filter (minus restricter), been getting pretty good response from the bike since... Know for sure, the stock jets will make things a little less interesting, but it beats running rich and damaging carb slides...

Finding a source for spares has been a nightmare, but thankfully thanks to a friend found a stockist who manages to get parts on order.

I am looking at better rims, but due to non availability here in Bangalore, that has taken a back seat.

Current issues I am facing are
- quick wear down of t-stem bearings
- exhaust valve issues
- fork seal damages (impulse seals per say aren't available, so looking for what else could work, have been told that Karizma seals should do the job)
- exhaust choking up due to the rich running

Wanted to make a custom silencer but with the way the govt has issued new rules / amendments, its a risk making one...
Freeing up the silencer, the best thing to do is get rid of the cat conv... that little 2-3 inch part in the bend pipe needs to go... Maybe a little rework on the baffle structure should help. But I don't think I want to let her speak up anymore than she is at the moment...

Weight reduction, like you said, the only thing that might help is the rims, the tank could be replaced with a plastic one, but a rather dangerous proposition with the junta all over the place...

Would be interested to know about anything you would be planning on doing to your bike.

Regards,
Nakul
intoxicangel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 01:45   #67
BHPian
 
ringoism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Himachal
Posts: 503
Thanked: 1,188 Times
Default Re: Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoxicangel View Post

Questions
1) How many face problems with the nose cone bearing? This one has its bearings rocking the handle left and right a little too much for comfort at higher speeds. Is it normal for the bearings to wear out quick due to the long imbalanced / un stabilized front fork?
2) The Impulse comes with a 142 Watt alternator, which translates to a little over 11 amps. The stock battery is 4 amps and the stock headlight runs a 30/35W bulb. My question here, is the power flow to the battery and bulb restricted to under 4 amps? 11 amp alternator should effectively be able to drive a 7.5 or 9 amp battery and a 55/60W bulb as well. (Any one experimented with this?)
5) Crazy shift between 1st and 2nd gear - never shifts smooth on hard revving, instead get a ridiculous 'katak' sound. whether it is upshifting or double clutchin down shifting. Is this normal?
1) Did you ever figure out anything re: your steering bearings? That is seriously driving me nuts, as it has been from day one... No easily observable play, but plenty of noise, which only disappears after adjusting them tight. But have done that many, many times and they loosen up again almost immediately. Bearing quality or something else? Local Hero tech, who's a quite helpful / cooperative fellow, doesn't seem to know anything about the problem, so assuming most owners are less aware / discriminating?

2) found my headlight much poorer than the CL350 I ran along with in Ladakh. Did you get around to trying a 55-watt bulb?

5) Other thing is, the Impulse lacks the rubber drive cushion that most other bikes have. So I guess this clunk will be "normal" - and chain life will also be somewhat reduced vs. other bikes.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 13:23   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,181
Thanked: 1,055 Times
Default Re: Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
2) found my headlight much poorer than the CL350 I ran along with in Ladakh. Did you get around to trying a 55-watt bulb?
Actually, the CL350 and CL500 has one of the best stock lights! due credits to the full round reflector and 55w setup!
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 17:01   #69
BHPian
 
intoxicangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Auckland
Posts: 93
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
1) Did you ever figure out anything re: your steering bearings? That is seriously driving me nuts, as it has been from day one... No easily observable play, but plenty of noise, which only disappears after adjusting them tight. But have done that many, many times and they loosen up again almost immediately. Bearing quality or something else? Local Hero tech, who's a quite helpful / cooperative fellow, doesn't seem to know anything about the problem, so assuming most owners are less aware / discriminating?

2) found my headlight much poorer than the CL350 I ran along with in Ladakh. Did you get around to trying a 55-watt bulb?

5) Other thing is, the Impulse lacks the rubber drive cushion that most other bikes have. So I guess this clunk will be "normal" - and chain life will also be somewhat reduced vs. other bikes.

-Eric
Nopes, no solution what so ever... Keep tightening every sunday...

Haven't tried a 55w bulb, thinking of changing the reflector to a regular round one, they tend to have better reflection of light
intoxicangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 12:27   #70
BHPian
 
intoxicangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Auckland
Posts: 93
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)

So a couple of updates on the bike...

I have had a couple of recurring issues and right now they have gotten a little to irritating to handle.
1) T-Stem bearing wearing out - I think this seems to be a standard issue with any Impulse out there. Tighten it a little so that the play and sound stops. Ride out a little, a couple of less than 100 km later, you are back to ground zero.
Anyone sorted this out yet?
2) Carb Diaphragm damage - So this probably came from my own doing, but still the quality of materials used seems to be sub standard. I had screwed on a pod filter directly onto the carb and the bike ran beautifully for a while before the diaphragm went kaput. I couldn't find a replacement for quite a while so used a Honda Shine carb diaphragm for the longest point. No surprise, a while later, went kaput again.
Then went and picked up a diaphragm that was ordered for from Hero. But that again didn't seem to last beyond 3-4k kms.
I can't seem to figure out what really is wrong? Its not the carb, I had swapped carbs with a friend from his impulse and that one also gave way.

Any ideas fellow impulse owners?
intoxicangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 20:50   #71
BHPian
 
ringoism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Himachal
Posts: 503
Thanked: 1,188 Times
Default Re: Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoxicangel View Post
So a couple of updates on the bike...

I have had a couple of recurring issues and right now they have gotten a little to irritating to handle.
1) T-Stem bearing wearing out - I think this seems to be a standard issue with any Impulse out there. Tighten it a little so that the play and sound stops. Ride out a little, a couple of less than 100 km later, you are back to ground zero.
Anyone sorted this out yet?
2) Carb Diaphragm damage
1) I finally decided to try and figure it out; so I marked the bearing adjusting nut to see whether it was re-loosening, rather than the bearings themselves wearing. And guess what? The nut was re-loosening. For some reason, tightening the top nut (on the to triple-clamp plate), which is supposed to lock-in the adjustment, was not doing so. I don't know if there was too tight of a fit on the steering spindle or if there's some other obstruction / reason - but what I did (not recommending this exactly) was to: a) use some spray lube on the clamp/spindle fit area; and b) whack the top plate down with a - eh - big hammer, to loosen it in the event it was stuck (rusted?) to the spindle. Then I tightened the adjusting nut, the top lock nut, and then checked to make sure I couldn't back off the adjusting nut again (or at least, not more than a quarter-turn or whatever). It's been holding for a couple thousand km now, thank God.

2) I'm thinking that your aftermarket air filter, if you didn't re-jet, might have created a lean condition (too little fuel), and is causing backfiring through the carburetor, which will definitely cause diaphragms to blow out. If you haven't re-jetted already, you probably need to. Or else go back to the stock setup till you can find someone to do that properly.

Regards,
-Eric
ringoism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 11:20   #72
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 620
Thanked: 780 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)

I am looking at getting the Impulse.

Wanted to know from the owners, if the T-Stem issue a chronic issue with the bike?
payeng is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 09:56   #73
BHPian
 
airfoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 305
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Wanted to know from the owners, if the T-Stem issue a chronic issue with the bike?
It is a common issue and a chronic one at that but there have been reports of it being sorted after replacing the cone bearing set or adjusting it. It isn't something you can't learn to live with though. The bike makes up for it since there really isn't anything else available that rides and feels like the Impulse does.

You'd be hard pressed to find a new one though unless the rumours of Hero holding unsold stock is true - which will probably then be "made to order".
airfoil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 12:01   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,181
Thanked: 1,055 Times
Default Re: Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)

Have you guys considered using Loctite for the triple clamp nut loosening issue? I guess it should be worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
You'd be hard pressed to find a new one though unless the rumours of Hero holding unsold stock is true - which will probably then be "made to order".
Reminds me of the MS Gypsy in so many ways!
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 21:42   #75
BHPian
 
Shivanshu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 200
Thanked: 253 Times
Default Re: Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)

Hello friends I find the Impulse headlight too weak, is their any update or any good bulb possible with the stock setting. As I don't want to go ahead and play with the wiring.

Also let me know does the electric voltage and wattage in Impulse would support for Auxiliary lights?
Shivanshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing the KB-RTZ offroad specials - My Hero Impulse ringoism Motorbikes 91 29th September 2017 01:02
Hero Impulse vinod Motorbikes 213 11th April 2017 16:53
*Rumour* - Hero to phase out Ignitor, Maestro and Impulse ashwin.terminat Motorbikes 26 4th February 2013 11:54
Help needed : Hero Impulse or Enfield Electra 350 Tapish What Car? 8 4th May 2012 11:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks