Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2012, 21:26   #241
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,506
Thanked: 2,072 Times
Default Re: The All New Bajaj Pulsar 200NS Unveiled! Update: Rs 84,096- ex showroom Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Agreed Sutripta. But when a carbed Kinetic and a carbed Fiero can do it, when a carbed first generation Pulsar 150 can do it, without getting older generation Bullets and Yezdis into the equation, one would expect the latest Pulsar to do it with ease.
Hi,
In your opinion, what could be the (technical/ engineering) reasons for the differences in behavior?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 11:10   #242
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: The All New Bajaj Pulsar 200NS Unveiled! Update: Rs 84,096- ex showroom Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
In your opinion, what could be the (technical/ engineering) reasons for the differences in behavior?

Regards
Sutripta
They've never tested the bike at altitude. Otherwise there is no way they wouldn't have caught this.

I know a lot of bikers who've carried downsized jets or "wired" main jets to Ladakh. Some have needed to swap at Manali, some not. Some get away with just playing with the air screw.

It all depends on the health of your motor, your clutch, your air filter and exhaust type, and your carb's state of tune.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 11:27   #243
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mandi
Posts: 65
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: The All New Bajaj Pulsar 200NS Unveiled! Update: Rs 84,096- ex showroom Pune

I live near Manali, some 100 km before Manali. Have been to Manali & Rohtang on TVS Victor & Pulsar 220 F. I never changed anything on my bike because it never demanded that I should do so. I think that this bike will be fine at higher altitudes. Moreover, I'm thinking about getting either Pulsar 200 NS or CBR 250R next month. Will post a detailed review regarding their high-altitude capabilities.
0xTKB is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 12:12   #244
BHPian
 
doctorque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 552
Thanked: 369 Times
Default Re: The All New Bajaj Pulsar 200NS Unveiled! Update: Rs 84,096- ex showroom Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xTKB View Post
I live near Manali, some 100 km before Manali. Have been to Manali & Rohtang on TVS Victor & Pulsar 220 F. I never changed anything on my bike because it never demanded that I should do so. I think that this bike will be fine at higher altitudes. Moreover, I'm thinking about getting either Pulsar 200 NS or CBR 250R next month. Will post a detailed review regarding their high-altitude capabilities.

Good to know about your location. This will really help in passing the right information to the people who plan to ride at those altitudes. I will be keeping an eye on your updates for a better picture.
doctorque is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 13:50   #245
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: The All New Bajaj Pulsar 200NS Unveiled! Update: Rs 84,096- ex showroom Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xTKB View Post
I live near Manali, some 100 km before Manali. Have been to Manali & Rohtang on TVS Victor & Pulsar 220 F. I never changed anything on my bike because it never demanded that I should do so. I think that this bike will be fine at higher altitudes. Moreover, I'm thinking about getting either Pulsar 200 NS or CBR 250R next month. Will post a detailed review regarding their high-altitude capabilities.
Agreed. No one has a problem till Rohtang generally. Clutch plates due to the slush for Bullets if at all.

Of course, Chang La is about 1.3 kilometers higher up than Rohtang La.

Last edited by ebonho : 20th July 2012 at 13:57.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 20:25   #246
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,506
Thanked: 2,072 Times
Default Re: The All New Bajaj Pulsar 200NS Unveiled! Update: Rs 84,096- ex showroom Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
They've never tested the bike at altitude. Otherwise there is no way they wouldn't have caught this.
To set up the carb professionally/ perfectly, one needs to do the tuning at those altitudes. But the fact that one has to rejet should not come as a surprise.

Quote:
I know a lot of bikers who've carried downsized jets or "wired" main jets to Ladakh. Some have needed to swap at Manali, some not. Some get away with just playing with the air screw.
My question wasn't about individual bikes and bikers. You had mentioned certain bikes behaving differently at altitude. eg ZMA, the older generation bikes. Was wanting your inputs/ thoughts regarding that. And in bit more technical detail than
Quote:
It all depends on the health of your motor, your clutch, your air filter and exhaust type, and your carb's state of tune.
Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 12:10   #247
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: The All New Bajaj Pulsar 200NS Unveiled! Update: Rs 84,096- ex showroom Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
To set up the carb professionally/ perfectly, one needs to do the tuning at those altitudes. But the fact that one has to rejet should not come as a surprise.
I am surprised you are not surprised. Especially when smaller capacity, older generation, carbed bikes and scooters can do and have done what the NS failed to in stock form.

Quote:
My question wasn't about individual bikes and bikers. You had mentioned certain bikes behaving differently at altitude. eg ZMA, the older generation bikes. Was wanting your inputs/ thoughts regarding that. And in bit more technical detail than

Regards
Sutripta
I have no idea why the Karizma in stock form struggles for breath and pull on climbs at altitude. I have never owned or ridden one.

But there are too many cases of Karizmas running out of breath to explain it away as merely a one off machine specific oddity.

I have a close friend running a Karizma in the Raid, SJOBA, and the Mogul Rally, who confirms the same. Its the FIRST thing Karizma rallyists attend to before even toucing the suspension and tyres.

This reputation builds up over time, volume of ownership, and real world miles. The fact that most of us are now connected via the net helps.

And as the weight of evidence grows, one learns to differentiate the newbie alarmist from the experienced rider with a genuine issue.

So to repeat, hope the NS does not go the same route and figures it out soon.

Because no one wants a bike which can zip along on plain roads at sea level but cannot climb. Especially a premium offering with a premium price tag, when so-called commuters have been doing it for decades now.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 21st July 2012 at 12:18.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 21:03   #248
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,506
Thanked: 2,072 Times
Default Re: The All New Bajaj Pulsar 200NS Unveiled! Update: Rs 84,096- ex showroom Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I have no idea why the Karizma in stock form struggles for breath and pull on climbs at altitude. I have never owned or ridden one.
It would have been enlightening to hear the views of the experienced bikers/ biking community as to why.


Quote:
Especially when smaller capacity, older generation, carbed bikes and scooters can do and have done what the NS failed to in stock form.
....
So to repeat, hope the NS does not go the same route and figures it out soon.

Because no one wants a bike which can zip along on plain roads at sea level but cannot climb. Especially a premium offering with a premium price tag, when so-called commuters have been doing it for decades now.
Aren't you curious as to why? I am!

And the necessity to rejet at higher altitudes: is that a big deal, let alone a deal breaker.
(IMHO, the 200NS might be the next best thing to sliced bread. Or a piece of junk. I have no idea/ opinion. Though I like to think of myself as unbiased, I must add that I'm wary of BAL products.) But having said that, I feel the need to rejet is a nonissue. And should not be used to beat the 200NS with.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:31   #249
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: The All New Bajaj Pulsar 200NS Unveiled! Update: Rs 84,096- ex showroom Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
It would have been enlightening to hear the views of the experienced bikers/ biking community as to why.
Probably would.

But experienced bikers do not usually have views one way or the other on stuff they have not personally seen, experienced, ridden, or worked on.

They may have opinions, but everyone has those, experienced or not, and as such are not worth following up on unless based on something tangible.

That a bike struggles is something tangible and inarguable.

WHY it struggles cannot be based on conjecture alone unless the issue is isolated and/or a solution or workaround is found.

Quote:
Aren't you curious as to why? I am!
Not really, no. I have my hands full keeping the bikes I own running perfectly.

The NS I do not own nor do I plan to.

Quote:
And the necessity to rejet at higher altitudes: is that a big deal, let alone a deal breaker. (IMHO, the 200NS might be the next best thing to sliced bread. Or a piece of junk. I have no idea/ opinion. Though I like to think of myself as unbiased, I must add that I'm wary of BAL products.) But having said that, I feel the need to rejet is a nonissue. And should not be used to beat the 200NS with.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta, I do not know if you are a biker. I know you have some experience with carb tuning in cars. The fundamentals of course remain the same with bikes as well.

But there is a big difference. In a car when things go wrong, in the wrong place, you always have the relative sanctuary of the cabin to retreat to and work it out. Not so in bikes, exposed as you are to the elements.

So while re-jetting and fiddling with the carb at 5000 meters above sea level in rain, slush, chill wind and biting cold, not to mention low oxygen which makes every manual effort off the bike a planned necessity and a pain, may not necessarily sound like a big deal, or a deal breaker to you, it is something that is a massive PIA for me and most bikers.

If bikes and scoots that cost 50-60K and less can do it, there is no reason why one which costs a Lac plus should not. That's the bottom line. It is for the company to give the consumer a bike tuned in a way that can do that. Not expect the consumer to rejet on his own or in a hole in the wall street mechanic in Manali or Keylong or Tandi to compensate.

No one is denying that your jetting at sea level will never be optimal at altitude. Or that improved and optimal performance at altitude would require jetting at that altitude by trial and error to get the right mixture.

But 9 out of 10 bikers who head to the mountains have neither the skill or the expertise or the inclination to use their tour time in tuning. They would rather just ride. And reach the top and get back on their own steam. Optimal or not. Without reaching 1st gear and finding no power. Or shorting multiple plugs getting there.

I know I would.

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd July 2012 at 11:44.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:52   #250
Senior - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,314
Thanked: 1,050 Times
Default Re: The All New Bajaj Pulsar 200NS Unveiled! Update: Rs 84,096- ex showroom Pune

When can we get detail Test-Ride report of the 200NS complete with all pros ans cons,FE figures etc?

I am in market for a new bike and confused between the 200NS and the P180. I need to buy the bike within the next 20-25 days max.

Is it possible within the above said time?
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:25   #251
Senior - BHPian
 
VeluM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,298
Thanked: 665 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89
When can we get detail Test-Ride report of the 200NS complete with all pros ans cons,FE figures etc?

I am in market for a new bike and confused between the 200NS and the P180. I need to buy the bike within the next 20-25 days max.

Is it possible within the above said time?
If you are considering only these two, then go for the 200NS. It will definitely be the better of the two. However, your budget and requirements/usage would allow for a more educated suggestion.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:30   #252
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hyderabad/Blr
Posts: 648
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: The All New Bajaj Pulsar 200NS Unveiled! Update: Rs 84,096- ex showroom Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
When can we get detail Test-Ride report of the 200NS complete with all pros ans cons,FE figures etc?

I am in market for a new bike and confused between the 200NS and the P180. I need to buy the bike within the next 20-25 days max.

Is it possible within the above said time?
Check out xbhp which is biking forum, you should be able to get all pros and cons.

[Ownership Thread]: Pulsar 200 NS - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:46   #253
Senior - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,314
Thanked: 1,050 Times
Default Re: The All New Bajaj Pulsar 200NS Unveiled! Update: Rs 84,096- ex showroom Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
If you are considering only these two, then go for the 200NS. It will definitely be the better of the two. However, your budget and requirements/usage would allow for a more educated suggestion.
Thanks. I have started a thread which states my requirements in detail. Please go through it and help me out. The thread link is: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2848392 (Upgrading from a P150. What bike for <1L INR?)
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:12   #254
BHPian
 
doctorque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 552
Thanked: 369 Times
Default Re: The All New Bajaj Pulsar 200NS Unveiled! Update: Rs 84,096- ex showroom Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
When can we get detail Test-Ride report of the 200NS complete with all pros ans cons,FE figures etc?

I am in market for a new bike and confused between the 200NS and the P180. I need to buy the bike within the next 20-25 days max.

Is it possible within the above said time?
I am not aware of what kind of usage you are going to have and what you expect your new motor bike to do for you?

But as being discussed here on a pre production NS not so comfortable at extreme altitudes, you should wait until a few other NS's are through Leh. All of this, if you have any intentions of doing extreme altitudes around Leh ever.

If not, like 99% plus bikes, the NS out handles, out powers and out brakes the p180, apart from everything in its price bracket or below. Infact its going make things harder for even the bikes which cost 30% more money. If you know what i mean.

I strongly suggest a test ride before you decide.
doctorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:21   #255
Senior - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,314
Thanked: 1,050 Times
Default Re: The All New Bajaj Pulsar 200NS Unveiled! Update: Rs 84,096- ex showroom Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
I am not aware of what kind of usage you are going to have and what you expect your new motor bike to do for you?

But as being discussed here on a pre production NS not so comfortable at extreme altitudes, you should wait until a few other NS's are through Leh. All of this, if you have any intentions of doing extreme altitudes around Leh ever.

If not, like 99% plus bikes, the NS out handles, out powers and out brakes the p180, apart from everything in its price bracket or below. Infact its going make things harder for even the bikes which cost 30% more money. If you know what i mean.

I strongly suggest a test ride before you decide.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2848392 (Upgrading from a P150. What bike for <1L INR?)

This thread contains all my requirements in detail.
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Indonesia: Bajaj Pulsar 200NS touring version spotted Tushar Motorbikes 9 8th April 2015 13:12
Pulsar 200NS - Update, 2.5 years & 9,000 kms Rajeevraj Motorbikes 54 27th March 2015 20:52
Honda CBR250 vs KTM 200 vs Pulsar 200NS rajpandey10 Motorbikes 51 1st June 2014 14:36
Pune gets a Nissan showroom and a new Mercedes Benz showroom vikrantj Indian Car Dealerships 2 30th November 2009 09:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks