Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 30th March 2012, 01:31   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default re: The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms

Thanks mate, i was always thinking about how effective will those as i am also planning to buy a LS2 in few days. Congrats on the bike, ride safe :-)
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2012, 23:55   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
What You'll Like & What You Won't:

A BIG thanks and hats off to you parrys for such a detailed ownership report.It will surely be a great help for me and others who want to buy this bike.
Happy Riding!

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting a full post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users. Kindly read the forum rules in the Announcements section before submitting any more posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 18th May 2012 at 11:09.
Revved Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 10:55   #93
Senior - BHPian

I have been a little ignorant about this before, but feel like sharing this now.
Whenever my bike fuel drops down to the reserve, the trip meter resets under the "F" section.

I have tried this a couple of times before posting this.
If anybody else knows if this "F" Trip is something different, do let me know.

Sorry: No Pictures
parrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 10:59   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been a little ignorant about this before, but feel like sharing this now.
Whenever my bike fuel drops down to the reserve, the trip meter resets under the "F" section.

I have tried this a couple of times before posting this.
If anybody else knows if this "F" Trip is something different, do let me know.

Sorry: No Pictures
^^ i guess it shows the kms you have done in reserve and kind of warning to fill.
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 11:28   #95
Senior - BHPian

Review Update at 9000 kms:
The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms-full-profile.jpg
The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms-kms.jpg
  • Service cost remains same more or less. Approximately INR 900.
  • No vibrations have shown up till now despite me revving it hard almost daily.
  • The gearbox still remains the slickest of all the bikes I have used.
  • All parts are intact - no loose bolts or bent rubbers anywhere.
  • Tyre has more 10,000 kms life left I guess. (Front & Rear)
    The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms-tyres-1.jpg
    The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms-tyres-2.jpg
  • The key has got a distinct line/cut/mark where it exactly slots in the ignition.
    The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms-key.jpg
  • Scratch on the panel next to pillion seat. (This happened due to the use of backpacks / your feet touching it while getting on-off the bike.
    The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms-pillion-scratch.jpg
  • Scratch on the rear end tip (behind the rear seat). Happened due to use of my bike cover. The cover brushes on it daily.
    The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms-rear-scratch.jpg
  • The LHS Mirror keeps moving almost daily. It doesnt shake but just gets of my perfect spot without fail. Reason Unknown: Potholes / Wind.
    The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms-lhs-mirror.jpg
  • Both the disc brakes have brushed up a little. Will check with Yamaha if the brake pads need to be replaced.
    The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms-disc-brake-1.jpg
    The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms-disc-brake-2.jpg
  • The rubbers used on the brake pedal and gear lever are of amazing quality. My first bike who has these rubbers intact after almost 6-7 months of ownership.
    The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms-rubber-pedals-1.jpg
    The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms-rubber-pedals-2.jpg
  • Thanks to this tank pad, I have got away from the fading and scratching of the tank. This is an official accessory.
    The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms-tank-pad.jpg
Old 18th May 2012, 11:51   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both the disc brakes have brushed up a little. Will check with Yamaha if the brake pads need to be replaced.
To protect the painted surfaces from scratches, install 3M paint protection film on scratch prone areas. This is a clear film just like transparent sticky tape or cello tape, only a lot thicker and with a lot better adhesive.

Here is a link (3M Launches Paint Protection Films for Two Wheelers under the 3M Bike Care Umbrella.) for details.

Regarding the brake pads, there is a groove in the center of the pads, which is a wear indicator. You can see this on the pads without removing them from the brake assembly. As the pads wear and the thickness reduces, the depth of the groove also reduces. When the brake pad material is almost nearing the metal casing / depth of the groove is very less / thickness of the pad's is negligible, it's time to change the pads.

Here is a pic for reference.

Name:  motorcyclebrakepad.jpg
Views: 17327
Size:  11.8 KB

The scratches on the disc brake's rotor is normal.

Last edited by n_aditya : 18th May 2012 at 11:52.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 10:56   #97
Senior - BHPian

The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms-396334_10151137857914387_1062299825_n.jpg

Completed one year and approximately 15,000 kms.

Update on the bike:
  1. Paint chipping off, on the tank. Also around the fuel filler cap.
  2. Tappet noise is annoying. On idle as well as when you decelerate. Will get it checked during my next scheduled service.
  3. Tyres have a significant amount of life left. Will last another year probably.
  4. LHS ORVM keeps losing its set position. (From the ball-joint)
  5. Using the UNI air filter right now, fuel efficiency stands at 40-43 kmpl. Includes frequent redlining as well.
  6. Have not noticed rust on any parts till now, will hunt for them when I have time.
  7. Electricals & switches are working perfect.
  8. Exhaust near the rider RHS foot peg has lost the matte black colour. Looks almost brown now.
  9. Absolutely 0 body panel rattles.

Last edited by parrys : 30th October 2012 at 10:58.
Old 17th June 2013, 13:15   #98
Senior - BHPian

So, the bike has now clocked 27,XXX kms.

Since the monsoon season has set in, the bike won't be used much.
Took it to the Yamaha dealership for a regular inspection, read below on what they had to say.
  1. Handle bar - cone set needs replacement. INR 4500/-
  2. Chain sprockets need to be changed. INR 2500-3000/-
  3. All other consumables when the bike will be serviced; accounting brake pads, engine oil, coolant, engine oil filter, other lubricants & labour cost. ~INR 4000-5000/-
  4. Rear tyre will need a replacement too, when all this is being done. 30k kms is a decent figure for the OEM MRF Revz provided. Tyre cost should be ~INR 4000/-

So, in October, when I plan to get this mega-servicing done, the bill would total up to ~INR 16,000/-

What surprises me is that the cone set needs a replacement so early, in just 1.5 years of ownership. When I asked Yamaha about why the set needs such an early replacement, they said that it needs a replacement every 15,000 kms. Seriously? That would be like every year in my case.

I checked with my local garage and he said that the cone set can be fixed. Lubricating the existing stuff or get new bearings.

Will keep the thread updated as and when the changes / repairs are done.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 13:38   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, the bike has now clocked 27,XXX kms.

Since the monsoon season has set in, the bike won't be used much.
Took it to the Yamaha dealership for a regular inspection, read below on what they had to say.
  1. Handle bar - cone set needs replacement. INR 4500/-
  2. Chain sprockets need to be changed. INR 2500-3000/-
  3. All other consumables when the bike will be serviced; accounting brake pads, engine oil, coolant, engine oil filter, other lubricants & labour cost. ~INR 4000-5000/-
  4. Rear tyre will need a replacement too, when all this is being done. 30k kms is a decent figure for the OEM MRF Revz provided. Tyre cost should be ~INR 4000/-

So, in October, when I plan to get this mega-servicing done, the bill would total up to ~INR 16,000/-

What surprises me is that the cone set needs a replacement so early, in just 1.5 years of ownership. When I asked Yamaha about why the set needs such an early replacement, they said that it needs a replacement every 15,000 kms. Seriously? That would be like every year in my case.

I checked with my local garage and he said that the cone set can be fixed. Lubricating the existing stuff or get new bearings.

Will keep the thread updated as and when the changes / repairs are done.

If they are replacing only the cone set, then 4500 rupees is a total Rip off. Are you getting a feeling that the cone set bearings are worn out? Try this.

1.Put the bike in such a way that the front wheel is free to move left/right. I don't know how to do this since R15 does not have a main stand. Then move the handle from end to end very slowly. If you feel there is some notchy-ness in movement then the ball bearings are bust.

Are you getting any sharp sound from the steering cone,something like a sharp "Khat" during braking or rapid acceleration/weight shifts? This is also a good indication that the cone set has gone bust.

But anyway 4500 Rs is something i am not able to digest!

Great to hear that the stock tyres have lasted for 30K. How are the front tyres holding up? Also , any idea how much do the front tyres cost?

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 17th June 2013 at 13:42.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 13:45   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
If they are replacing only the cone set, then 4500 rupees is a total Rip off. Are you getting a feeling that the cone set bearings are worn out? Try this.

1.Put the bike in such a way that the front wheel is free to move left/right. I don't know how to do this since R15 does not have a main stand. Then move the handle from end to end very slowly. If you feel there is some notchy-ness in movement then the ball bearings are bust.

Are you getting any sharp sound from the steering cone,something like a sharp "Khat" during braking or rapid acceleration/weight shifts? This is also a good indication that the cone set has gone bust.

But anyway 4500 Rs is something i am not able to digest!
Well the handle bar movement has definitely become a little stiff. I myself had noticed that and when I pointed it out, they told me that the cone-set needs a replacement. But my grouse is that the part is just super expensive. He clearly mentioned a price above 4k, labor charges additional.

All spare part prices are on the higher side when it comes down to Yamaha.
The R15 engine oil filter costs around INR 200/-, my Hyundai Verna's oil filter costs just INR 165/-

I will try whatever solution my local garage has once I have the time, if it works, nothing like it. Or else will get the OEM kit.

The front tyres are good for another 10-15k kms. Have no clue on the pricing yet.

Last edited by parrys : 17th June 2013 at 13:47.
Old 21st August 2013, 17:01   #101
Senior - BHPian

So, riding reduced significantly because of the monsoon season.
Just like anyone else with a bike who doesn't use it much, I got a bike cover.
Then use it for a couple of kilometers in a week to go to my gym.

Suddenly around a month down the monsoon season, the bike starts stalling. I suspected water in the fuel tank / pump and got it cleaned.

Repeated again in a week, got the spark plug cap and spark plug replaced.

And then..... one fine day the bike refused to start up. And started flashing the engine check light. Took it to Yamaha.

Based on the flashing. (3 times slow and 9 times fast)
Error code 39 meant fuel injection failure

Then asked my local garage guy to check it and he said rats had chewed on to the electricals, also my UNI pod filter.

Got the wires fixed by the local garage guy. Yamaha quoted ~6000 bucks for the full wiring harness.

Now, had to replace the UNI filter, so got a Pipercross foam filter. Similar growl, no change at all.

PS. The bike now stands without a cover, asking the rats to find a new home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
If they are replacing only the cone set, then 4500 rupees is a total Rip off.
I checked with Kamla Yamaha for the rates; yes Aims Yamaha (Thane) was asking for a bit too much. The rates quoted were incorrect.
Cone set & chain sprocket will be replaced for >6000 bucks. (Labor charge separate)

Last edited by parrys : 21st August 2013 at 17:07.
Old 21st August 2013, 18:07   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

PS. The bike now stands without a cover, asking the rats to find a new home.
Mate,
For the steering cones, suggest you to get it checked with a local garage. The company folks simply replace it without paying an attention to it. Observe the cones for any step, if there is a step get it polished at any lathe guy. A few microns shaved off will not matter much for the handling. You will be able to get the job done in a few hundreds instead of the 4K. Steering Cones generally would last a good 75-90K before they get really worn out or if they are running dry with improper lubrication. Every 10K ensure you get it lubed with white grease which should resolve the issue.

Regarding the rats do try to keep dry tobacco twigs (not the cigarettes). My neighbor had a similar challenge and this actually solved the issue. Do keep us updated.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 20:22   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Handle bar - cone set needs replacement. INR 4500/-
Please do not. I changed mine on the R15 & paid the price.

These bikes are built much better and I do not think your cone set is gone. Lubricate it. I too never knew about this & hence changed the set. The ball of the cone set costs some Rs. 500 IIRC.

The same issue cropped on my CBR. Lubricated & its fine.

Quote:
Unsuspected customers or those riders who think spending money on bikes makes them a biker are the ones they are targeting.

Quote:
Then asked my local garage guy to check it and he said rats had chewed on to the electricals, also my UNI pod filter.

Got the wires fixed by the local garage guy. Yamaha quoted ~6000 bucks for the full wiring harness.
Get the wiring & chain-sprocket changed. Ask the mechanic to lube the cone-set (Tip him a bit prior to working on) It is a PITA job & a really PITA job for the CBR. You got to take half the bike off.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 15:33   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Mate,
For the steering cones, suggest you to get it checked with a local garage.

Regarding the rats do try to keep dry tobacco twigs (not the cigarettes). My neighbor had a similar challenge and this actually solved the issue. Do keep us updated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The ball of the cone set costs some Rs. 500 IIRC.
I did this. Suspecting that the dealership was making a pappu out of me, opened up the cone set and noticed that cone bearings were not it a real good shape. (Some amount of rusting)
So my garage guy managed a bearing set (In a Yamaha pack) and replaced it. But now, there is some amount of play in the cone set mount, which makes me very nervous and hampers my riding confidence.

Hence, I am just getting it replaced this time from Yamaha now that I tampered it and then will lubricate it on regular intervals as you guys suggested.

Regarding the tobacco twigs, I will surely give this a try. Not sure where I should place them though.

PS: I am also getting something that is going to scream real bad. More updates on this over the weekend.
Old 22nd August 2013, 16:48   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regarding the tobacco twigs, I will surely give this a try. Not sure where I should place them though.
You can place it on the engine bay after it has cooled down. But do remember they will stench a bit and it is the stench that drives those rodents away

Are you getting the R-15 'Daytonaed'? Have seen a couple of bikes with the daytona kit and my god they are very noisy.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote