Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 13:36   #196
Senior - BHPian
 
black12rr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ridin earth now
Posts: 1,259
Thanked: 272 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

He good to see saddle bags .I also have a pair of saddle bags and a tank bag .But have not mounted on the KTM till now .

Doesn't the bags scratch the rear panels ? .

The only permanent solution for this low fuel tank is to get a bigger 18 liter tank that's available as an option overseas.
I think unless someone is hitting leh or something ,there is no need to carry fuel .Even with a range of 300 kms , one can easily find a petrol bunk ?

Last edited by black12rr : 26th March 2012 at 13:43.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 13:40   #197
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
He good to see saddle bags .I also have a pair of saddle bags and a tank bag .But have not mounted on the KTM till now .

Doesn't the bags scratch the rear panels ? .

The only permanent solution for this low fuel tank is to get a bigger 18 liter tank that's available as an option overseas.
I put a cloth on the seat before mounting the bags. Or I guess you could use 3M masking tape as well.

A more permanent solution would be that transparent tape that is used to protect paint over areas exposed to friction - like the interface between tank and seat. Don't know what that tape is called.

The larger tanks available overseas may or may not fit on the Duke 200. Ditto for the luggage frames/racks also advertised.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 13:43   #198
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samschenker View Post
These are the type of bottles I had in mind,
These are max 1 L or even less.

Quote:
Like Nikhil suggested, have you tried getting the gear lever adjusted to your liking? That was something i missed out during the first service :(
No I have not adjusted my gear lever as any further downward adjustment would make it difficult for me to get my riding boots below them for up-shifting.

The brake lever I will try and get lowered to the extent possible.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 14:44   #199
BHPian
 
samschenker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: pune
Posts: 67
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
These are max 1 L or even less.

No I have not adjusted my gear lever as any further downward adjustment would make it difficult for me to get my riding boots below them for up-shifting.
The brake lever I will try and get lowered to the extent possible.
yes those bottles I have posted are less than 1L cap.
Here are few links that might be of your interest but sure not cheap as the 2.5L pepsi bottles
JAX Collapsible utility blader
Primus Fuel Bottle 1.5L
samschenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 15:17   #200
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

I was just wondering about crash sliders ...

Why do most bikes (like the SBKs, and even our "desi" Ninjas 250 and 650) have frame sliders while the Power Parts provided sliders/bobbins for the Duke are for the ends of the front fork and the swing-arm?

One reason I can think of is that in case of a low side, these two points being lowest are most prone to damage - but then why not for the other bikes as well?

Any ideas?
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 15:47   #201
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulkool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,265
Thanked: 568 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I was just wondering about crash sliders ...

Why do most bikes (like the SBKs, and even our "desi" Ninjas 250 and 650) have frame sliders while the Power Parts provided sliders/bobbins for the Duke are for the ends of the front fork and the swing-arm?

One reason I can think of is that in case of a low side, these two points being lowest are most prone to damage - but then why not for the other bikes as well?

Any ideas?
I guess those are to protect the plastic parts, as in the duke there are no plastic parts. For upper part you have legs guards in place.
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 16:08   #202
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
I guess those are to protect the plastic parts, as in the duke there are no plastic parts. For upper part you have legs guards in place.
Yeah but how effective are those crash guards really? On another forum a guy had a spill and the crash guard broke from the bolted end apparently.

Last edited by ebonho : 27th March 2012 at 16:32.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 17:20   #203
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Found some links (pretty pricey though) for after market frame crash protectors for both the Dukes (125 and 200) -

KTM 125/200 Duke (2011 Model onwards) - Aero Style Crash Protectors CP0289BL

http://www.puig.tv/tuning-bikes/ktm-...234-r49-m3222/

I guess the fork and swing-arm protectors are to protect the two really expensive parts of the bike usually prone to damage first in case of a slide.

Last edited by ebonho : 27th March 2012 at 17:25.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 18:08   #204
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,747 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Yeah but how effective are those crash guards really? On another forum a guy had a spill and the crash guard broke from the bolted end apparently.
Crash bobbins are available for the front forks, rear swingarm and for the frame (frame sliders) and their job is to protect damage to the parts they are bolted on to.

The frame slider actually helps in absorbing impact and reducing any possible or potential damage to the frame itself. If the frame is damaged then its as good as junking the vehicle and getting a new one. Its a misconception that a frame slider is used to protect the fairing. However, damage to the fairing is also reduced and in some cases even avoided and this depends on how the bike fell (low side or high side), speed at which the bike was laid down (low speeds will result in the bobbins absorbing impact and higher the impact it will shave off, break away or bend at the flange to avoid damage or transfer of impact to the frame itself), road conditions (if the tarmac is smooth, then the bike will slide but if the slider hits a median it could even toss the bike into the air and flip it over its side resulting in more damage). Frame sliders are effective in reducing damage to the fairing when the bike is tipped over when executing a low speed turn or a U turn or when the bike tips over when someone sits on it at a parking lot for example.

Crash bobbin pucks (the round ones) are made from carbon fiber, from plastics such as Delrin, acetal, nylon and sometimes even aluminum.

I've seen both extremes where crash bobbins have saved considerable damage to a bike and in the worst case where it has disintegrated and broken away since the speed was pretty high resulting in damage to the fairing too.

Do read this for more information on types of frame sliders and their pros and cons.

Edit - I have the puig's on my bike (only the frame slider and not the fork/axle sliders) and touchwood, never got to test its effectiveness. But have seen on a friends bike that they did protect the bike pretty good. Apparently, Shogun's are THE best but are pretty expensive, a little more than double the cost of the Puig's.

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th March 2012 at 18:11.
n_aditya is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 18:11   #205
BHPian
 
NikhilB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bombay
Posts: 42
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I guess the fork and swing-arm protectors are to protect the two really expensive parts of the bike usually prone to damage first in case of a slide.
I'd say that's the reason. They have protectors for the footpegs as well in their international catalogue and they market the hand guards (I may not be using the proper term) as brake/clutch lever protectors.

I was just wondering, in case of a fall wouldn't the plastic tank sustain damage (near the knee recess)?
NikhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 18:16   #206
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
But have seen on a friends bike that they did protect the bike pretty good. Apparently, Shogun's are THE best but are pretty expensive, a little more than double the cost of the Puig's.
+1 to what Aditya has just mentioned. Frame sliders are real good savers whenever a bike tips over or a slow speed crash. Their effectiveness around hi speed crashes depends on various situational factors.

Better to invest wisely in a pair of frame sliders rather than regretting over it post the crash.
ku69rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 18:21   #207
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,747 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Better to invest wisely in a pair of frame sliders rather than regretting over it post the crash.
Unless of course the sliders cost a lot more than the fairings.

There is a CBR 250R in Blore which has the fork, swingarm and frame sliders and it cost around 10k for the whole set IIRC. A LOT more than the cost of all the parts its supposed to protect.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 18:34   #208
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Well, if you discount the frame, the side scoops cost about a grand each. The frame sliders (R&G) cost approximately 12 grand (not counting shipping and duty). Also, as mentioned by Nikhil, assuming you need to take off the crash guard provided by the company to fit those, the scoops are not going to be saved either way as they flare more than what the sliders protect.

The Power Parts fork bobbins cost a little over 2 grand a set. Don't know if they are the same for the swing-arm as well (the showroom guy did not know). Can someone confirm if they are one and the same for both?
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 19:31   #209
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulkool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,265
Thanked: 568 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Well, if you discount the frame, the side scoops cost about a grand each. The frame sliders (R&G) cost approximately 12 grand (not counting shipping and duty). Also, as mentioned by Nikhil, assuming you need to take off the crash guard provided by the company to fit those, the scoops are not going to be saved either way as they flare more than what the sliders protect.

The Power Parts fork bobbins cost a little over 2 grand a set. Don't know if they are the same for the swing-arm as well (the showroom guy did not know). Can someone confirm if they are one and the same for both?
Thats what i was thinking looking at the price, it doesnt make sense for smaller bikes. AFAIR the fork bobbins are different for front and rear. You can check the power parts catalog on KTM site, it has all the details.


@Aditya thanks for the explanation. if they are supposed to save the frame, then isnt it will be better if the impact area is distributed through the whole fairing. If the frame sliders are fitted on the frame itself then they will transfer the impact to the frame and hence increase the chances of damaging the frame ?
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 12:15   #210
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,747 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
@Aditya thanks for the explanation. if they are supposed to save the frame, then isnt it will be better if the impact area is distributed through the whole fairing. If the frame sliders are fitted on the frame itself then they will transfer the impact to the frame and hence increase the chances of damaging the frame?
Good question Rahul.

Regarding frame sliders, what you see on the bike's exterior (see pic below) is only the puck.

KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-puig7432011104200am.jpg

Shogun frame slider - The actual slider is mounted on the frame using a very strong pipe (part of the kit) which absorbs and distributes the force of the impact throughout the beam (like the side impact beam on a car).

See encircled area where the puck is bolted on to. The force of the impact is distributed all across the pipe. Shogun's have 3 mounting points so the impact is distributed evenly on these 3 points so there is no actual force transmitted to the frame itself.

Name:  7504119_2.jpg
Views: 7206
Size:  42.1 KB

In the case of the puig's the puck is bolted on to the "dog ear" flange which is a thick flat piece of metal. If the force of the impact is high, this flange will at the most bend while absorbing impact. And of course, if the bike slides after a fall the puck will disintegrate and break off absorbing part of the impact too.

Name:  Ninja 250R Frame Slider Gr Nocut.jpg
Views: 7683
Size:  14.8 KB
n_aditya is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200 theexperthand Motorbikes 342 5th October 2017 15:08
KTM launches MY2016 Duke 200, Duke 390, RC200 & RC390 //M Motorbikes 99 27th April 2017 01:54
KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up Rahulkool Motorbikes 197 21st July 2016 11:54
Duke of Ram - My Orange Flame, KTM Duke 390. EDIT : Sold! hillram Motorbikes 65 13th May 2016 07:21
The Duke Finally arrives! (KTM Duke 200) Shubz Motorbikes 76 4th April 2013 10:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks